2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Of course one of their most dubious claims is that their DVD's are worth $500.

Laissez tomber les mains
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Opus_Maximus
I also find it a bit strange that both Dorthy Taubmann and Edna Golandsky - the two greatest champions of the method - have (to my knowledge), not a single recording available to their credit.

You can't make that comparison. Teaching and performing are two totally different skills. Some of the best pianists in the world probably can't teach at all, and vice versa.

I've observed a few of Golandsky's master classes. She seems to know what she's talking about, and her comments are quite insightful.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
"Seems to know what she's talking about, and her comments are quite insightful" describes any good piano teacher anywhere.

It's a great leap from there to the kind of claims that are made by her and on her behalf.

(I'm a piano teacher.)
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by JustAnotherPianist

Taubman/Golandsky prey upon the naivate of such people. They are slick businesspeople, and NOT great pedagogues.
I think you'll find Taubman is already recognized around the world as a great pedagogue. Your performance of Chopin's B minor is a real achievement but doesn't really come into it. Come back uninjured in 30 years time and maybe then judgements could be made.

Laissez tomber les mains
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by chopin_r_us
I think you'll find Taubman is already recognized around the world as a great pedagogue.
Recognized by great pianists, or recognized by the notebook-toting quick-fix crowd mentioned above?

The pedagogy lecture circuit becomes its own self-sustaining inward-looking culture after a while, separate from the rest of the world. The opinion of persons inside that culture is not particularly relevant.

(I'm a piano teacher.)
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by david_a
The pedagogy lecture circuit becomes its own self-sustaining inward-looking culture after a while, separate from the rest of the world. The opinion of persons inside that culture is not particularly relevant.
Bit of a sweeping generalization?

Laissez tomber les mains
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Thanks, chopin_r_us
It's the the Bb minor I've got there at the moment. I'll be putting the B minor on there soon, though.

As I've said, I studied Taubman for four years with a well-regarded Taubman teacher. What I am saying is that I could never have reached this level of playing with Taubman technique alone.

Your implication that my technique could be a ticking time bomb to RSIs in x years is based on a complete lack of knowledge of my playing mechanism and practice habits....what's up with that? It takes a great deal of strength to be able to play in a relaxed enough way to tackle the piano repertoire with finesse.

Building up this strength is a slow process which does not involve anything to do with Taubman principles. It's a process which does not involve the somewhat more immediate rewards promised by T/G.

Once developed, this strength allows pianists to move with great freedom. Rotation is seldom used, because it is seldom needed. It is strength in the muscles of the palms, and strength in the muscles of the belly of the forearm.

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Yup. No apologies though, because it's a pretty accurate one. Nobody is stepping up with examples of major well-known performers who promote Taubman.

(I'm a piano teacher.)
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Rather an insightful generalization at that.

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Yup. No apologies though, because it's a pretty accurate one. Nobody is stepping up with examples of major well-known performers who promote Taubman.

I think perhaps that this is more due to the fact that many teachers teach relaxation and arm weight without being Taubman followers, than it has to do with a criticism of the technique. Or in other words, they don't have the corner market on playing without pain and with freedom.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Justanotherpianist - if you are saying your playing has Taubman as a foundation - then I agree with the rest of your post. If you've turned your back on it then...

Not that Taubman started anything. All those teachers or 'quick fix crowd' as Dave calls them who spoke about a singing touch taught the same thing. Here's the Lhevinnes:
Again as the hand descends, as large a surface of the fingertip as feasible engages the key, and the wrist is so loose that it normally sinks [I appreciate not Taubman] below the level of the keyboard. Observe your hand sensations very carefully. The tone is produced in the downward swing of the hand...The other notes, if melody is to be played legato, must be taken with the fingers near the keys, raising or dropping the wrist according to the design of the melody.

Laissez tomber les mains
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I cannot say my playing is based on a Taubman foundation. If a given passage calls for a modicum of rotation I am by no means afraid to use rotation.

I would say the foundation of my technique is NOT Taubman....but I use my Taubman training as an auxiliary force when it is needed. And don't get me wrong, it IS useful, in fact more than useful, it is ESSENTIAL for certain kinds of passage. But these passages are rare...there is ONE of them in the entire Rachmaninov Third Concerto.

The majority of playing requires a different approach to technique. In the words of my girlfriend, who is a MONSTER pianist, 'you don't want movement that's not intrinsically related to the passage you are playing'.

The strength which I described in my previous post is what is required in order to have the utmost control over the ballance of textures at the piano. This strength is developed by doing things at the piano which would make a Taubman teacher cringe.

Avoiding injury at the piano does not require a Taubman technique. In order to avoid injury, we must have good practice habits and a fundamental understanding of what RSI's are and what causes them.

I have yet to see a hardcore Taubman adherent produce a great recording. You will find in the professional circuit that something like the approach I describe is the norm. There is a range on the professional spectrum, no doubt.

But you don't get many people who obsess about rotation to the degree that Taubman/Golandsky do.

Rotation can be a useful tool in certain situations, but it simply isn't the cornerstone which T/G think it is.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
@ JustAnotherPianist

Hey I liked your Chopin Sonata Recording thank you for posting it!

As I was watching it I thought... I know this guy from somewhere... then it hit me... Is this guy from the movie Battlefield Earth?

[Linked Image]

Currently learning composition:

Some of my compositions
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
There's a pedagogy lecture circuit?

Teacher, Composer, Writer, Speaker
Working with Hal Leonard, Alfred, Faber, and Australian Music Examination Board
Music in syllabuses by ABRSM, AMEB, Trinity Guildhall, ANZCA, NZMEB, and more
www.elissamilne.wordpress.com
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Elissa Milne

You're on the antipodean bump of same wink
no?

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Canonie

You're on the antipodean bump of same wink
no?

Apparently so!! I certainly do get around a lot (in the last 12 months in any case), so if talking to piano teachers frequently means you are part of a circuit..... YEP!!!!

But the term "Pedagogy lecture circuit" sound so... organised, so..... conspiracy theorist! Here in Australia there is one biannual Piano Pedagogy Conference, so I guess that would qualify, and then there are state Music Teacher Association conferences, also usually biannual, so maybe they are part of the 'circuit' as well? (That means there would be, on average, 3 or 4 piano teacher conferences held in all of Australia/New Zealand each year, and most teachers would only be able to access 1 conference per annum.)

Then there are the in-store events that print music retailers hold, but I'm not sure that is so much part of a 'pedagogy lecture circuit' as it is about product education and promotion - letting teachers know what's new that they can use in their teaching, what new music has been composed and arranged, etc.

And then there are events put on by the examination boards, but again, not so much pedagogy, more about the latest syllabus developments.

The original reference to a circuit made it sound as if there is this well-worn track that shysters can plod around fleecing piano teachers as they go. Does Australia just not boast a lot of shysters, or is our circuit not circuitous enough, or.....?

Teacher, Composer, Writer, Speaker
Working with Hal Leonard, Alfred, Faber, and Australian Music Examination Board
Music in syllabuses by ABRSM, AMEB, Trinity Guildhall, ANZCA, NZMEB, and more
www.elissamilne.wordpress.com
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
The original reference to a circuit made it sound as if there is this well-worn track that shysters can plod around fleecing piano teachers as they go. Does Australia just not boast a lot of shysters, or is our circuit not circuitous enough, or.....?
My guess is the 'circuit' only really exists in someone's imagination. I've attended a number of master classes and can't think of one that didn't have something valuable to offer. Maybe someone needs to get out more.

Laissez tomber les mains
tubbie.. you might seek info in the Pianists' corner. there seem to be fans there.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)

There is in the USA. At the major conferences (MTNA and NCKP), one sees the same names over and over and over again. Breaking into the circuit is difficult. I've applied to present at MTNA at least five times on three different topics and have yet to be selected. Other friends of mine have had similar luck getting a slot to present.

What's worse is the divide between performers, college faculty, and teachers of precollege students in the US. It's rare to find a performer with the local symphony visiting area schools and giving additional recitals and masterclasses, and colleges tend to trade faculty recitals with each other, rarely inviting concert pianists (whose fees are often too high) for concerts or masterclasses.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission