Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
134 registered (anotherscott, Anita Potter, accordeur, acollins, 36251, 39 invisible), 1570 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1528427 - 10/05/10 04:54 AM You'r current favorite Pianists! / CD's
Victor25 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
I got the great pianists of the 20th century cd collection, which is full of great old recordings of greats like Horowitz, Rubinstein, Brendel, Richter, Sofronitsky (I'm a fan!), etc.

Since they are old recordings they are full of pop's, hiss and disgusting people coughing (I'm pretty sure you can hear one dying). But the music is phenomenal.

Now I would like to find some more new recordings, recorded with the better possibilities of today (basically higher quality audio). So I was wondering what are your current favorite pianists and cd's that you would recommend me?

I have listened to a lot of Kuerti and Schiff.

edit: Let me please clarify my question abit, what I meant was I have enough old recordings, like stated in my opening post (ofcourse Richter, Algerich and many more), but I'm looking for NEW recordings, without pops/coughs/tape hiss etc.

Edited by Victor25 (10/05/10 05:19 PM)

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#1528508 - 10/05/10 08:50 AM Re: You'r current favorite Pianists! / CD's [Re: Victor25]
playpianoforever Offline

Loc: North Carolina
I like Martha Argerich's cds done by Deutsche Grammophon. Especially her recording of Robert Schumann's Piano Concerto in A minor op.54 conducted by Rostropovich

#1528510 - 10/05/10 08:54 AM Re: You'r current favorite Pianists! / CD's [Re: Victor25]
Gerard12 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: South Carolina
Schiff is probably my favorite of the currently working pianists in certain repertoire, but the bulk of his recordings sound odd to me. I think the reason is the microphone placement/microphone combination. The sound of his newer recordings released on ECM is a definite improvement.

My favorite piano recording of the last 10 years is Leon Fleisher's The journey.

#1528530 - 10/05/10 09:35 AM Re: You'r current favorite Pianists! / CD's [Re: Victor25]
Andromaque Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
I am re-savoring young Fleisher's set of all 5 Beethoven concertos with George Szell.. Truly magnificent..
Also still collecting all of Richter's prodigious output.. Most recently his live CD from Sofia 1958 (most amazing "Pictures at an Exhibition") and his Diabelli varations also recorded live from a performance at the Pushkin Museum (part of the "December Nights' that he used to organize. This latter CD has a bonus Mozart sonata with Oleg Kagan with awesome violin playing..

#1528572 - 10/05/10 11:04 AM Re: You'r current favorite Pianists! / CD's [Re: Victor25]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
Andre Laplante's CD's of Ravel. Unbelievable. Here's a sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTYUyDjVCRU

#1528589 - 10/05/10 11:34 AM Re: You'r current favorite Pianists! / CD's [Re: Victor25]
Zindaras Offline

I am a huge fan of Kissin's Pictures at an Exhibition, though I would not recommend all his performances.

#1528664 - 10/05/10 01:24 PM Re: You'r current favorite Pianists! / CD's [Re: Victor25]
EJR Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Bristol, UK
<<current fav...>>

Benjamin Grosvenor : This & That

Daily ramblings....

#1528731 - 10/05/10 03:17 PM Re: You'r current favorite Pianists! / CD's [Re: Victor25]
Minaku Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta
I've been a huge fan of Yefim Bronfman for years now. I haven't listened to his Profofiev recordings but they are supposed to be excellent. I've seen him twice live and plan to go a third time when he comes back to Atlanta early next year. He never disappoints!

I've been listening to Aimard's Vingt Regards as well, and will hopefully be able to make it for his appearance in Atlanta next year.

Edited by Minaku (10/05/10 03:17 PM)

New website up: http://www.studioplumpiano.com. Also on Twitter @QQitsMina

#1528735 - 10/05/10 03:22 PM Re: You'r current favorite Pianists! / CD's [Re: Minaku]
Richter Offline

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: Minaku
I've been a huge fan of Yefim Bronfman for years now. I haven't listened to his Profofiev recordings but they are supposed to be excellent. I've seen him twice live and plan to go a third time when he comes back to Atlanta early next year. He never disappoints!

I've been listening to Aimard's Vingt Regards as well, and will hopefully be able to make it for his appearance in Atlanta next year.

his prokofiev sonatas are amazing! get on that smile you will surely not be disappointed!

#1528770 - 10/05/10 04:05 PM Re: You'r current favorite Pianists! / CD's [Re: Victor25]
timmyab Offline

Loc: Bristol, UK
I can highly recommend Howard Shelley's Rachmaninov cycle on Hyperion.It's one of the few things that have totally blown me away over the last ten years or so.
I'd also second the Kissin/Pictures recommendation.

#1528807 - 10/05/10 05:05 PM Re: You'r current favorite Pianists! / CD's [Re: Minaku]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
Originally Posted By: Minaku

His Prok sonatas are excellent. I have him with Rach 2 and 3 as well (the latter I heard live here last season and he blew the doors off the place!). I also highly recommend his recordings with Manny Ax (Brahms: Music for Two Pianos and Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances and Suites for Two Pianos).

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#1528810 - 10/05/10 05:07 PM Re: You'r current favorite Pianists! / CD's [Re: Andromaque]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Andromaque
I am re-savoring young Fleisher's set of all 5 Beethoven concertos with George Szell.. Truly magnificent..
Also still collecting all of Richter's prodigious output.. Most recently his live CD from Sofia 1958 (most amazing "Pictures at an Exhibition") and his Diabelli varations also recorded live from a performance at the Pushkin Museum (part of the "December Nights' that he used to organize. This latter CD has a bonus Mozart sonata with Oleg Kagan with awesome violin playing..

The Fleisher/Beethoven concerti are second to none! I've had the "Sofia" recording for a while now and I love it. Richter is amazing.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

♪ ≠ $

#1528818 - 10/05/10 05:15 PM Re: You'r current favorite Pianists! / CD's [Re: Victor25]
schwammerl Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Belgium
Victor25,

How about David Fray on EMI Classics:

David Fray

schwammerl.

#1528823 - 10/05/10 05:19 PM Re: You'r current favorite Pianists! / CD's [Re: Victor25]
Victor25 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Let me please clarify my question abit, what I meant was I have enough old recordings, like stated in my opening post (ofcourse Richter, Algerich and many more), but I'm looking for NEW recordings, without pops/coughs/tape hiss etc.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will definitely look into them!

#1528843 - 10/05/10 05:30 PM Re: You'r current favorite Pianists! / CD's [Re: Victor25]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

I wouldn't call it my favorite recording, but what I've been listening to a lot lately is Zimerman/Boulez/Ravel G major. Spectacular recording. Does anyone have his recording of the Brahms sonatas/ballades? Seems it's no longer available and I long ago lent mine out and it seems to have found more comfortable lodgings elsewhere.

♪ ≠ $

#1528879 - 10/05/10 06:25 PM Re: You'r current favorite Pianists! / CD's [Re: Victor25]
dolce sfogato Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Netherlands
Ravel: Tharaud
Chabrier: Tharaud
Beethoven concerti: not the last Brendels, but the not so old, well recorded Christian Zacharias
Beethoven sonatas: Goode
Anything by Krystian Zimerman, Marc-André Hamelin
Chopin in general: impossible choice
Schubert sonatas: Michel Dalberto
Schumann: Youri Egorov

just ask for detailed pieces you would like to modernize in your discography, that would make things a bit easier, thanks for the Kempff! Marvellous!

Mussorgski tableaux d'une exposition/Ravel miroirs

#1528917 - 10/05/10 07:35 PM Re: You'r current favorite Pianists! / CD's [Re: stores]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
Originally Posted By: stores
I've had the "Sofia" recording for a while now and I love it. Richter is amazing.

Which is precisely why I prefer the piano original to an orchestrated version. Nothing I've ever heard matches Richter, and IMO demonstrates that Mussorgsky had it right all along!

#1529171 - 10/06/10 05:08 AM Re: You'r current favorite Pianists! / CD's [Re: Victor25]
wr Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Okay, I get it...you only want recommendations of stuff recorded digitally.

Anderszewski playing Szymanowski.

Queffélec playing Ravel.

The Bartok concertos played by Zimerman, Andsnes, and Grimaud with three different orchestras conducted by Boulez. Also, the Kocsis and the Schiff recordings of these concertos are both outstanding.

Nelson Freire playing the Brahms concertos (this got the Gramophone "Record of the Year" award a few years back).

#1529210 - 10/06/10 07:19 AM Re: You'r current favorite Pianists! / CD's [Re: Victor25]
Oz Marcus Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
I am currently in love with the Imogen Cooper live Schubert recordings. Just amazing. I am also enjoy g the Marc Andre Hamelin Alkan recordings.
Chopin Prelude Op28 No 15, nocturne Op48 no 1
Bach Prelude & Fuge WTC II No 12 in F minor
Aspiring to Rautavaara - Piano Sonata 2 - Fire Sermon

#1529236 - 10/06/10 07:57 AM Re: You'r current favorite Pianists! / CD's [Re: dolce sfogato]
Gerard12 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: South Carolina
I also prefer the previous Brendel Beethoven Concerti to his most recent one. For the performances, not the recording quality - which was recorded when digital was possibly still in it's infancy (1981 or 82, I think) and sounds really cold and harsh (even in it's most recent re-issue).

I find it interesting that when re-issuing the 2nd Gould Goldberg's - recorded around the same time period - Sony chose to use the analog 'safety' copy and not the digital one.

#1529266 - 10/06/10 08:33 AM Re: You'r current favorite Pianists! / CD's [Re: Victor25]
izaldu Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc:
Victor, do not assume that sound quality of recordings from the3se days will satisfy you more than recordings from the late 60s , 70s , and 80's. There are plenty of recordings from those times with no hisses or noises, and a lot of studio recordings with a much better tone than some of the latest recordings available.

#1529281 - 10/06/10 08:57 AM Re: You'r current favorite Pianists! / CD's [Re: Victor25]
dmsynck Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
My current favorites are -

The Sony release of Glenn Gould's 1955 Goldberg Variations
The DG release of the Rachmaninoff 3rd and Tchaikovsky 1st piano concertos with Martha Argerich and Kiril Kondrashin / Ricardo Chailly
The DG release of Martha Argerich's debut cd with Chopin, Prokofiev, and the Liszt B minor sonata.

#1529287 - 10/06/10 09:12 AM Re: You'r current favorite Pianists! / CD's [Re: Victor25]
Victor25 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Izaldu, there are indeed some recordings that sound fine even though they are old. The playing ofcourse is unmatched on them, but I listen on really good speakers, and the hiss and pops can really become unbareable on them, sometimes its even better for me to listen on bad speakers just so that I don't hear every single mistake in the recording.

And though I love older recordings, I already have a HUGE amount of them, I want something new. Anyway there is plenty already to check out, thanks all for the recommendations!

@dolce the Kuerti recording should be up today

What I mostly was looking for is

Modern Recordings of Chopin (I have recordings of Davidovich, Lortie, Harasiewicz)
Modern Recordings of Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerti (I have Earl Wild)
Modern Recordings of works by Brahms, Tchaikovsky, Liszt, Debussy, Handel, Vivaldi etc.

I am broadening my horizon on classical music, and it has become a great joy. First I wasn't able to enjoy Chopin, but now that I have heard his Ballade's, Impromptu's, Piano Concerto's and the amazing Scherzo #2 in Bb, op31, I have finally made peace with Chopin :P. That piece is amazing (I have it played by Argerich)

Edited by Victor25 (10/06/10 09:19 AM)

#1529366 - 10/06/10 11:19 AM Re: You'r current favorite Pianists! / CD's [Re: Victor25]
ex_aedibus Offline

At the moment, I've been enjoying Glenn Gould's performances of the Hindemith Sonatas. There is, as always seems to be the case with Gould, some unwanted vocal obbligatti, but the playing is brilliant. Given Gould's love of technology, I'm saddened that he wasn't around to really benefit from the best modern recording techniques have to offer.

I like Brendel's Beethoven. While he did much to revive Liszt's fortunes in the days when his work was looked down on as trash, I still prefer Argerich's performances.

Where Bartok is concerned, I am especially fond of the recordings his former student, the late Gyorgy Sandor. His Bartok sings!

I continue to love Horowitz, Rubinstein, Maria Joao Pires, Matha Argerich, and so many others. I love hearing old recordings of Rachmanninoff and Schnabel. As far as pianists of today, I quite like some of the stuff Jeno Jando has done on Naxos. Garrick Ohlson is marvelous.

#1529370 - 10/06/10 11:22 AM Re: You'r current favorite Pianists! / CD's [Re: Victor25]
Victor25 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Euh... thanks for responding smile!

So I haven't really heard name's of your current favorite Pianists. I'm looking for pianists that are alive and recording laugh

#1529382 - 10/06/10 11:38 AM Re: You'r current favorite Pianists! / CD's [Re: Victor25]
ex_aedibus Offline

As for pianists who are alive and recording, I really do Garrick Ohlson, Martha Argerich, Maria Joao Pires, Idil Biret, Evgeny Kissin, Mikhail Pletnev, and others. I especially admire Ohlson's vast repertoire. The man is amazing. I have a recording of Ohlson accompanying the violinist Benjamin Hudson in works by Charles Wuorinen.

#1529388 - 10/06/10 11:45 AM Re: You'r current favorite Pianists! / CD's [Re: Victor25]
Andromaque Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Among contemporary pianists, Paul Lewis is very interesting,as is obviously Stephen Hough.
Paul Lewis' Beethoven set is definitely worth exploring.
Ivan Moravec for Chopin

If you like cello, the ISserlis / Hough CDs are superlative (very gorgeous sonorous experience)

#1529446 - 10/06/10 12:57 PM Re: You'r current favorite Pianists! / CD's [Re: ex_aedibus]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
Originally Posted By: ex_aedibus
As far as pianists of today, I quite like some of the stuff Jeno Jando has done on Naxos.

Our local classical station occasionally throws in one of the Jando Haydn recordings. Sometimes it's a toss which I admire more: the crisp and sympathetic playing of Jando, or the limitless fascination of Haydn's piano sonatas. A mystery why only a handful are heard with any regularity.

#1534484 - 10/13/10 09:05 AM Re: You'r current favorite Pianists! / CD's [Re: Victor25]
FreddyChopin Offline

Loc: The Hague - Netherlands
My favourite piano cd:

"Maria-Joao Pires & Ricardo Castro - Résonance De L'originaire"

Quatre-Mains works of Franz Schubert. Their Fantasy in F minor D940 is perfect!

#1534688 - 10/13/10 01:58 PM Re: You'r current favorite Pianists! / CD's [Re: Victor25]
bellamusica Offline

Barbara Nissman's Prokofiev sonatas! Amazing!

She has recorded all of Ginastera's music for piano as well, but I'm ashamed to say I have not yet heard those recordings.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
December 2014 Holiday Piano Bar
by piano_primo_1
12/17/14 06:14 PM
The Language of Taste - Pianos, Wine ... and Birds
by PNO40
12/17/14 05:16 PM
Good Practice Amp for Roland FP7F?
by TheloniousPunk
12/17/14 04:24 PM
Kawai
by daz100
12/17/14 04:10 PM
New at the forum and some questions
by Kua
12/17/14 03:31 PM
Forum Stats
77325 Members
42 Forums
159944 Topics
2348884 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission