Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
135 registered (Anita Potter, anotherscott, accordeur, 41 invisible), 1630 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1536545 - 10/16/10 10:42 AM Re: You'r current favorite Pianists! / CD's [Re: bellamusica]
izaldu Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc:
Right now i am enjoying Alexnadre Tharaud; his piano recordings of Couperin and Rameau are beautiful. What a talented young artist he is, i love his repertoire choices too.

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#1536557 - 10/16/10 11:01 AM Re: You'r current favorite Pianists! / CD's [Re: Victor25]
DanLaura Larson Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Pocatello, Idaho
A set of recordings that are really worth getting are Eva Knardahl playing Grieg. She recorded 10 albums on the BIS label. Really wonderful, especially the Lyric Pieces and the Norwegian Dances.

Dan
http://www.stoneformsart.com/

#1536851 - 10/16/10 07:33 PM Re: You'r current favorite Pianists! / CD's [Re: DanLaura Larson]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
Originally Posted By: DanLaura Larson
A set of recordings that are really worth getting are Eva Knardahl playing Grieg. She recorded 10 albums on the BIS label. Really wonderful, especially the Lyric Pieces and the Norwegian Dances.

Eva Knardahl is awesome. Her recordings of Grieg -in superb sound from BIS- are landmark status. Wasn't she pianist for the Minnesota Orchestra for some years?

#1536858 - 10/16/10 07:37 PM Re: You'r current favorite Pianists! / CD's [Re: izaldu]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
Originally Posted By: izaldu
Right now I am enjoying Alexnadre Tharaud; his piano recordings of Couperin and Rameau are beautiful. What a talented young artist he is, I love his repertoire choices too.

Well indeed, no argument.

Here you go:

#1536909 - 10/16/10 09:07 PM Re: You'r current favorite Pianists! / CD's [Re: Victor25]
DanLaura Larson Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Pocatello, Idaho
Argerichfan, yes Eva was the pianist for the Minnesota Orchestra for 15 years. She returned to Norway at the end of her career to record the Grieg piano works. One other fun note, she recorded most of the pieces on a Bosendorfer 275.

Dan
http://www.stoneformsart.com/

#1536921 - 10/16/10 09:25 PM Re: You'r current favorite Pianists! / CD's [Re: Victor25]
dannylux Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Connecticut
Josef Rheinberger's Piano Sonatas were completely new to me when I found this CD of Antonio Pompa-Baldi playing the first 3. The music is absolutely amazing. These are some of the finest post-Beethoven Sonatas that I've heard. They're much different than the Brahms and Schumann Sonatas; Rheinberger's are more Classical in structure.

The 3rd Sonata, Op.135 is just plain stunning. I can't recommend it too highly. The score was scanned by the Sibley Library:

Rheinberger Sonata No.3 in E flat, Op.135

Mel

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get — only what you are expecting to give — which is everything. What you will receive in return varies. But it really has no connection with what you give. You give because you love and cannot help giving." Katharine Hepburn

#1536992 - 10/16/10 11:49 PM Re: You'r current favorite Pianists! / CD's [Re: dannylux]
Dror Perl Offline

Loc: NY
Well, you didn't say classical smile

so even though that seems to be the direction so far...for this post, let me contribute by adding some non-classical wonderful solo piano CDs:

Keith Jarret's: The Koln Concert
Brad Mehldau's: Elegiac Cycle

http://www.sheerpiano.com/

Sheer Piano: The First Full Color Piano Music Books

#1543334 - 10/25/10 05:51 PM Re: You'r current favorite Pianists! / CD's [Re: bellamusica]
MmMark Offline

Loc: Germany
Glenn Gould's 1955 Goldberg Variations (Sony) thumb

#1543360 - 10/25/10 06:15 PM Re: You'r current favorite Pianists! / CD's [Re: MmMark]
Jared Hoeft Offline

Loc: Hutchinson, Minnesota, United ...
Well, Pianist is a pretty charged term. My favorite keyboard player of all time would have to be Jordan Rudess, a progressive metal keyboardist famous for his work with Dream Theater and Liquid Tension Experiment. Incredible creativity, incredible form and technique, and just an unparalleled overall sound makes him my number 1 inspiration. But while he is certainly a "Pianist," he is by no means some kind of classical performer.

#1543410 - 10/25/10 07:03 PM Re: You'r current favorite Pianists! / CD's [Re: Victor25]
musiklover96 Offline

what about bernd glemser's rachmaninov cd? worth checking out!
Chopin - Ballade No 2
Chopin - Etude 'Winter Wind'
Debussy - Jardins sous la pluie
Ravel - Sonatine

#1543479 - 10/25/10 08:28 PM Re: You'r current favorite Pianists! / CD's [Re: argerichfan]
tomasino Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Originally Posted By: argerichfan
Originally Posted By: DanLaura Larson

Eva Knardahl is awesome. Her recordings of Grieg -in superb sound from BIS- are landmark status. Wasn't she pianist for the Minnesota Orchestra for some years?

Yes she was. At the time, the Minnesota Orchestra was known as the Minneapolis Symphony Orchestra. Antal Dorati was conductor for most of her many years here. She did a lot of collaborative work around Minneapolis. A very memorable appearance for me was with the Danish tenor turned baritone, Aksel Schiotz, in Schubert's "die Winterreise." It must have been more than forty years ago, and I've been to hundreds of excellent concerts since, but this one stands out.

Tomasino
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do so with all thy might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

#1543531 - 10/25/10 10:16 PM Re: You'r current favorite Pianists! / CD's [Re: Victor25]
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
Evgeni Bozhanov, his Chopin op.60 is the best i have ever heard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jptOIW_8DjQ

#1543959 - 10/26/10 12:51 PM Re: You'r current favorite Pianists! / CD's [Re: Victor25]
Bech Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Indiana
Paulena Carter playing light classicals on an old LP called: (97 keys." The odd thing is they say the piano is a Bechstein and yet no one thinks Bechstein ever made a piano with this may keys. So...maybe it's really a Bosendorfer.

The great news is this is now available at Amazon.com with free samples. Digitally remastered MP3s. I bought the whole package for a little over 8 dollars.

Best piano sound I've ever heard! The old LP is still available but pricey. Of course even better sound via good stereo equipment.

Bech

#1544472 - 10/27/10 05:34 AM Re: You'r current favorite Pianists! / CD's [Re: Victor25]
YamahaMamma Offline

Sweet Dreams & Starlight by David Nevue. Saw him in concert and love his music.

http://www.amazon.com/Sweet-Dreams-Starl...1944&sr=8-7

#1544494 - 10/27/10 06:47 AM Re: You'r current favorite Pianists! / CD's [Re: stores]
bennevis Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: stores
I wouldn't call it my favorite recording, but what I've been listening to a lot lately is Zimerman/Boulez/Ravel G major. Spectacular recording. Does anyone have his recording of the Brahms sonatas/ballades? Seems it's no longer available and I long ago lent mine out and it seems to have found more comfortable lodgings elsewhere.

Zimerman is one of my favourite pianists, especially for Chopin. His 2 CD Brahms set has long been deleted and isn't likely to ever resurface again because Zimerman feels it doesn't represent him at his best (despite the fact that the Sonatas won him a Gramophobe Award) - ditto for the marvellous Chopin 14 Waltzes which only ever appeared on LP/cassette. Luckily, I've never lent them out to 'friends'...

My other favourite pianist, a very different kettle of fish altogether, is Mikhail Pletnev - his Mussorgsky Pictures is truly amazing, his Scarlatti Sonatas quite unique in its coloristic range and brilliance, his Tchaikovsky Concertos and piano works (including his own transcriptions of the ballets) is still the best around. All in superb digital sound too.

#1546483 - 10/29/10 06:50 PM Re: You'r current favorite Pianists! / CD's [Re: Victor25]
Bech Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Indiana
I'm relative new to classical pianists but two I like very much are: Valentina Lisitsa and Lola Astanova. I do like Argerich and others but what I like about these two is how they have gone out of their way to make lots of their playing available--for free on YouTube and at their sites! It's just tremendous to be handed such value for nothing.

Of course their being on video makes it more special in that you can not only hear how good they are but also see it.

The good and great classical pianists amaze me with their ability and have my respect for the very high "price" they had to pay for that ability.

Bech

#1546485 - 10/29/10 06:55 PM Re: You'r current favorite Pianists! / CD's [Re: Victor25]
John_B Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Bristol, UK
Although I don't really have any favourite CDs of pianists, two that do come to mind are:

Radu Lupu playing Schubert Impromptus (a beautiful CD)

Pollini playing Webern, Prokofiev and the Stravinsky Petrushka (a wonderful disc)

#1546497 - 10/29/10 07:17 PM Re: You'r current favorite Pianists! / CD's [Re: Victor25]
dolce sfogato Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Netherlands
My old and never failing favourites: Brendel playing Schubert Impromptu's, the old one!, Ashkenazy playing Chopin's Ballades on his first Decca, Zimermann-Brahms sonatas, Gilels Chopin 1st concerto on Melodya, as well as his Weber 2nd sonata, as well as his Medtner 5th and Glazunov 2nd sonata's, Lipatti with everything he did, Cortot's Barcarolle, Anda's Paganinivariations, as well as his Liszt sonata, Hamelin's Alkan.

Mussorgski tableaux d'une exposition/Ravel miroirs

#1546531 - 10/29/10 08:40 PM Re: You'r current favorite Pianists! / CD's [Re: playpianoforever]
dmsynck Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Originally Posted By: playpianoforever
I like Martha Argerich's cds done by Deutsche Grammophon. Especially her recording of Robert Schumann's Piano Concerto in A minor op.54 conducted by Rostropovich

I totally agree with you on Martha Argerich and DG. I have the DG cd of her playing Rachmaninoff's 3rd piano concerto / Tchaikovsky's 1st piano concerto with conductors Kiril Kondrashin and Riccardo Chailly. I also have her debut CD with Liszt's B Minor sonata. I cherish both cd's and listen to them often.

#1546536 - 10/29/10 08:59 PM Re: You'r current favorite Pianists! / CD's [Re: MmMark]
dmsynck Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Originally Posted By: MmMark
Glenn Gould's 1955 Goldberg Variations (Sony) thumb

Have to agree on that. Love the 1955 version, even though Gould himself later dismissed it as being "too youthful".

#1552814 - 11/07/10 10:20 AM Re: You'r current favorite Pianists! / CD's [Re: dannylux]
SoundEffect Offline

Originally Posted By: dannylux
Josef Rheinberger's Piano Sonatas were completely new to me when I found this CD of Antonio Pompa-Baldi playing the first 3. The music is absolutely amazing. These are some of the finest post-Beethoven Sonatas that I've heard. They're much different than the Brahms and Schumann Sonatas; Rheinberger's are more Classical in structure.

The 3rd Sonata, Op.135 is just plain stunning. I can't recommend it too highly. The score was scanned by the Sibley Library:

Rheinberger Sonata No.3 in E flat, Op.135

Thanks for that suggestion! I picked up this recording and you are right. The third Sonata is a fantastic piece. Very nice indeed.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai vs. Yamaha: what to choose
by SeeSharp
12/21/14 02:19 PM
Disklavier Pro Alternatives? C5X Value for money?
by bryan77
12/21/14 01:15 PM
piano sound is the result of more than just the hammer speed
by Keith D Kerman
12/21/14 01:05 PM
piano sound is the result of more than just the hammer speed
by Keith D Kerman
12/21/14 01:05 PM
country style piano
by seniormoment
12/21/14 12:42 PM
Forum Stats
77387 Members
42 Forums
160043 Topics
2350218 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission