Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1528441 - 10/05/10 05:52 AM Digital Key Piano Thump
Littleted Offline

Loc: Yorkshire UK
How does this compare across the ranges, as im totally new to all this i do notice it at low volumes, but im presuming its normal on Digital Pianos, Does a normal Acoutic also do this ?

Does it have a name/feature ?

thanks

Basics are if volume is low u can hear it, pump it up and of course you cant but not always ideal.
Looking for Multi Millionaire who wants to adopt a family, Me ( It Consultant ) Wife ( Athletics Coach Running ) 3 children, Tired of working and would love to do your gardens and polish your cars, im also a dab hand at Gaming so will keep your kids occupied. smile I can but dream cant i

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Special Financing on Digital Keyboards

Click Here

#1528523 - 10/05/10 09:27 AM Re: Digital Key Piano Thump [Re: Littleted]
AndyT Offline

Loc: Cambridge, UK
I think it greatly depends on the dp. (or accoustic!)

For Kawais the thump and the sound of pressing the keys reach my ear at the same time, and so the thump is less noticeable. - this is the same as I would expect from an accoustic.

I found Yamaha Clavinovas more thumpy when the keys were made of wood.

I found the key noise on Rolands just unplayable (hp207 models, I haven't tried the 307). I could always hear the thumping no matter what the volume was. I was also aware of the thumping when playing through headphones.

Here is another thread that discusses thumping:
http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1330472/1.html

If there is a dp you are thinking about buying then see if you can take the thumping when you play it. Some people don't notice it and others (like me) can't stand it.

Andy T

Edited by AndyT (10/05/10 09:33 AM)

#1528527 - 10/05/10 09:33 AM Re: Digital Key Piano Thump [Re: Littleted]
spanishbuddha Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
I think they all do it, even an acoustic. The difference is that with a DP when using headphones, so the external sound is muted, it becomes obvious to other people, and possibly you with the headphones if it's a noisy action.

The new HP3xx Rolands have quite a bit of thump. When I test played them I found the action very reassuringly solid, even the thump. Kawai tend to have quieter actions especially the CA and CN series. My Casio is in between the two, and I can't really say about Yamaha's.

I tend to play with the volume quite high, as high as an acoustic, that way you can practice the dynamics. So, at ff you certainly don't hear the key above the notes, and again at pp you won't because the key is being played softly.

#1528585 - 10/05/10 11:25 AM Re: Digital Key Piano Thump [Re: Littleted]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
I think all pianos make a thump when the key bottoms out. Even acoustic pianos but with those the sound of the note drowns out the thump sound. I think the effect varies some make more noticable noise but they all do to some extent. Also the thump might get louder over time as the felt gets pounded down thinner

Edited by ChrisA (10/05/10 11:26 AM)

#1528636 - 10/05/10 12:39 PM Re: Digital Key Piano Thump [Re: ChrisA]
Littleted Offline

Its a Roland with the Ivory touch III, i hadnt really noticed it until my Dad pointed it out.

I presumed it was normal, its not a digital thump but the actual key even in the off state u can hear it.

its nothing major i just wondered if this is something the manufacturer replicate for relism.

Thanks for all the responces.
Looking for Multi Millionaire who wants to adopt a family, Me ( It Consultant ) Wife ( Athletics Coach Running ) 3 children, Tired of working and would love to do your gardens and polish your cars, im also a dab hand at Gaming so will keep your kids occupied. smile I can but dream cant i

#1528768 - 10/05/10 04:04 PM Re: Digital Key Piano Thump [Re: Littleted]
LesCharles73 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Denton Texas
Originally Posted By: Littleted
Its a Roland with the Ivory touch III, i hadnt really noticed it until my Dad pointed it out.

I presumed it was normal, its not a digital thump but the actual key even in the off state u can hear it.

its nothing major i just wondered if this is something the manufacturer replicate for relism.

Thanks for all the responces.

Nope, not abnormal in the least. Just a necessary evil when you use real weighted "hammers". The sound you hear, as others have eluded, is the key weight striking the felt covered bar (in many models). Other models make the noise when the bottom of the key's face hits the felt lining at the bottom of the keybed. Some actions, like those in my Kurzweils, make the [loudest] thump when the key returns to resting position. 'THUMP!'

Edited by LesCharles73 (10/05/10 04:07 PM)

#1528783 - 10/05/10 04:24 PM Re: Digital Key Piano Thump [Re: LesCharles73]
Littleted Offline

Yeah thats what i hear its the return to rest, but i have to admit the weight of the keys feels great.

Im learning smile

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Uneven piano keys
by shah
10/23/14 08:57 AM
Forster vs August Forster
by eazydyonizy
10/23/14 03:43 AM
Grigory Sokolov releases album
by wimpiano
10/23/14 03:11 AM
Lindblad Steinway rebuilt pianos
by brahms
10/23/14 02:54 AM
Got the VPC1! Hooked up the Ivory! Played Brahms.
by TwoSnowflakes
10/23/14 02:13 AM
Who's Online
110 registered (anotherscott, Alexander Borro, 36251, Al LaPorte, 36 invisible), 1420 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76620 Members
42 Forums
158438 Topics
2326718 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission