2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, danno858, David B, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 13 invisible), 1,852 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 91 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 90 91

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Thanks for all the good wishes smile ...... we have company here for the weekend, (my nephew and his wife) so I'm not sure how much I'll get to play frown
However, she plays, (and has been piano deprived for a while) so "maybe" we'll get a music session or two smile

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

S
S
Congrats casinitaly, beautiful piano and room.

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by mr_super-hunky
Originally Posted By: Monica K.AnotherSchmoe: I made the hideous mistake of clicking on "the llama song" in the presence of my 11 year old son, who became immediately captivated by it and insisted on replaying it roughly 2,445 times. You owe me.

The "Llama song" is an evil drug. Once you hear it you are bitten. Should any children hear it, you are doomed.

I speak the truth.

Llama llama llama llama llama llama llama llama llama llama llama llama duck.

Should you have just read this. You have one of two options. They are mentioned above.

Sorry.

If you liked the Llama song, you will like this: http://pages.physics.cornell.edu/~rsundararaman/GammaSong/

Its a geeky version of the llama song made by two of my friends at my undergrad university.

R
R
Originally Posted by molto_agitato
Originally Posted by raptor
This is my bedroom where I have two digital pianos. I am a bit of an anime fanatic, so excuse the figures, posters and so on.

Tim, how do you play your keyboard without having your anime figures tumbling everywhere!?

Actually, they all seem to start falling off randomly as I'm playing, so I often have to stop to catch them. eek

However, since I don't have any other place to display them, I just have to trust my reflexes and hope I catch them all. grin

Now I mainly do my practice on the acoustic piano. smile

P
P
Originally Posted by mr_super-hunky

The "Llama song" is an evil drug. Once you hear it you are bitten.

I apologize for being off-topic, but I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Monty Python sketch:

Great thread btw smile

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Paul, your Schultz piano is lovely! Careful with letting kitty get in there, amonia from thier paws can cause the strings to corrode.

Cary Rogers, PharmD
San Francisco, CA
1887 Knabe 6'4" (Rebuilt)
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bryanw
Lovely brisk morning today...

winter is certainly on the way folks!

[Linked Image]

Bryan, absolutely lovely piano and beautiful setting that it is in. I've played several Brodmann pianos and they are lovely! I was about to buy a 7'5" last winter, but another person (a member here) bought it before I made up my mind.

Congratulations!

Cary Rogers, PharmD
San Francisco, CA
1887 Knabe 6'4" (Rebuilt)
[Linked Image]

Not the best angle really... I should upload another.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
i love your pianoroom sciencerob! - great idea to put the music on the wall.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Finally a typical Italian living room...

I was getting depressed looking at all those wonderful American big houses with such spacious living room (and so many room for GP) and wonderfully swathed in greenery!

Yes, I know, I live in Rome... I should be happy with the Colosseum at a walking distance, but I love your houses and your GPs inside smile

A.

Originally Posted by casinitaly
My turn, my turn! My piano just arrived. After playing a couple of pieces, I photographed it.
So... first, my first piano, the digital.

[Linked Image]

and now.... .the new one! Yamaha P112N-S, 7 years old, with silent option! (actually , you can see a smidge of the digital in this one too..in the bottom corner!

[Linked Image]

P
P
Originally Posted by ashat
I was getting depressed looking at all those wonderful American big houses with such spacious living room (and so many room for GP) and wonderfully swathed in greenery!

Ah yes, but listen, I know you have something that's unique. Right now if you open the window you'll hear something. The sound of mopeds, that distinct sound made only by a Vespa, the toot of horns as the traffic known only to Rome goes about its organised chaos. Maybe you'll hear two old men greet each other in the street below, where they'll complain to each other about the latest football match before going on their individual ways. If it's a Sunday you'll here the ring of church bells across the city, and maybe if you're close enough to a piazza you'll even catch the faint clink of cups and glasses as Barista's create their magic elixirs, and for 1 Euro their faithful patrons are fuelled for another few hours. You may even hear the squeal of children chasing each other around the Piazza, in summer they'll be drenched from the fountain, oblivious to their nearby parents sharing quality time with good friends at just one of the cafes around the perimeter. Not a bottle of "Tomato Ketchup" in sight as the food tastes like it should and is almost, but never quite, as good as mamma makes.

That's just some of what listening to a city with a real soul sounds like. All it takes to buy a big house is money. But no amount of money can buy what you hear right now. You're listening to Rome. You're listening to Italy. That's never depressing.

Pete

No that wasn't a bum note! It was my ... "artistic interpretation" emerging.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hey Rob:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/M48/1/

One of my best purchases. Really! smile

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Finally a typical Italian living room...

Yes, I know, I live in Rome... I should be happy with the Colosseum at a walking distance, but I love your houses and your GPs inside smile

A.

I know what you mean. I have to say though, that even when I lived in Canada we didn't have a really big place.......I love it that an Italian calls my place typically Italian!!!!! I feel like a citizen now smile

.......and to our friend who wrote about the sounds of vespas and people down in the street talking abut the latest football results... Vespas and their relatives are the bane of our life- they are the most irritating little creatures ever invented. And as much as I love the people in my little town, those who stop to talk about the match under my window, after the match, generally wake me up!!! There are a lot of things that are charming for a holiday, and a pain in real life.

That being said..... I have no plans to move away from where I am smile Despite vespas and football fans, I still love my adopted home.

[Linked Image]

P
P
Cheryl, a wasted post on my behalf it seems, as you completely missed the point I was making. Never mind

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
No Pete, I don't think I missed your point - it seems to me you have an idealized view of Italy, I live here. I know the joys and the thrills and the beauty of it - but heck YES, it can be depressing sometimes.

I never object to being reminded of the joys when I'm having a down day - but the reality is that a lot of what you think is wonderful is awful.
When you spend every night of the summer being awakened at 3am by vespas charging down the street of your quiet little down, you'll understand that I really can see both sides of the coin.

You missed my point maybe.... I still LOVE Italy , despite the negatives. - -- sometimes BECAUSE of them smile

[Linked Image]

P
P
Cheryl my post had nothing to do with Vespas. It had nothing to do with church bells. It had nothing to do with MY view of a room, or a house, or a city or even a country. Indeed it had nothing at all to do with Italy ... except, maybe to an Italian! The Italian to whom it was addressed. On the other hand it had everything to do with HOME, and what HOME means to different people. It would seem you chose to read it literally.

Last edited by PeteF; 10/23/10 05:30 AM.

A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Pete,

I completely understand what you mean, but believe me, Italy and Rome is this for tourists, and it is great that people comes here from all over the world and is fascinated by the life of the city. I have travelled a bit, even to US a couple of times, and each time somebody ask me "Where are you from?" and I answer "Rome, Italy", I get a typical "ROME??, really?" and I feel a bit lucky despite I am not really sure to understand why...

Living here is stressing and may be a little depressing.

You can't go anywhere with the car without being prepared to spend an incredible amount of time trapped in a crazy traffic and looking for a place to park. If you decide to use the public transport you should be prepared to a crazy waiting time at the bus stop plus a crowded bus in which you are pressed with about 100 persons in a little space and still trapped in traffic. But maybe those are problems of any big city all over the world..

And Cheryl is right, what a tourist calls "sound of Rome", is effectively "noise". The traffic is a noisy, and the people is noisy. We, as italian, are noisy. We are noisy wherever we go. Have you ever been on a plane landing in Italy? Or in a italian train?

And as for houses, renting a studio apartment in a semicentral zone of 40 squared meters costs almost the same of my postdoc grant monthly income... Something that makes impossible to leave parents' home until embarrasing ages.. not to talk about having spacious living room to place a GP!! smile

But actually you are right, and reading your post makes me feel a little better. Sometimes, at least on weekends, I can go outside with the eyes (and ears) of a tourist and "listen" to the beauty of Vespa sound, church bells, and childrens chasing each other smile

A.

Originally Posted by PeteF

Ah yes, but listen, I know you have something that's unique. Right now if you open the window you'll hear something. The sound of mopeds, that distinct sound made only by a Vespa, the toot of horns as the traffic known only to Rome goes about its organised chaos. Maybe you'll hear two old men greet each other in the street below, where they'll complain to each other about the latest football match before going on their individual ways. If it's a Sunday you'll here the ring of church bells across the city, and maybe if you're close enough to a piazza you'll even catch the faint clink of cups and glasses as Barista's create their magic elixirs, and for 1 Euro their faithful patrons are fuelled for another few hours. You may even hear the squeal of children chasing each other around the Piazza, in summer they'll be drenched from the fountain, oblivious to their nearby parents sharing quality time with good friends at just one of the cafes around the perimeter. Not a bottle of "Tomato Ketchup" in sight as the food tastes like it should and is almost, but never quite, as good as mamma makes.

That's just some of what listening to a city with a real soul sounds like. All it takes to buy a big house is money. But no amount of money can buy what you hear right now. You're listening to Rome. You're listening to Italy. That's never depressing.

Pete

P
P
But actually you are right, and reading your post makes me feel a little better. Sometimes, at least on weekends, I can go outside with the eyes (and ears) of a tourist and "listen" to the beauty of Vespa sound, church bells, and childrens chasing each other smile

A.

Yes you got it and I'm glad it made you feel better as that was the idea. The point I was trying to make is that lusting after a big house is great, but never take home for granted. smile

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Cheryl & Ashat, you make Italy & Rome sound like Vancouver: ridiculously high costs for small living spaces; noise of one kind or another from other inhabitants; crowded transit that's erratic, usually because of traffic. On the other hand, I have many conveniences within walking distance, & people don't generally complain about my (piano) noise. It's a trade-off.

Carol
(Started playing July 2008)

[Linked Image]
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Well,

I live at the second floor of a building of eight.
At the first lives a family of 2 young parents, with one teenager daughter and 2 less than 5 years old children.

They are noisy well over imagination, they all scream all over the day, if the children don't scream, they cry or make a lot of noise playing and running inside the apartment.

On the same floor there is a French family, 2 parents and 3 children. They are completely silent, and two of them play both the piano and the cello, occasionally.

You probably won't believe but the mother of the noisy Italian family had the courage to ring to the door of the French to complain about the noise of the Cello...

I mostly play with the headphones, but if this woman will come to ring to my door for the piano, I think I will spend 5 minutes of my time to explain to her the difference between noise and music smile

A.

Originally Posted by joyoussong
Cheryl & Ashat, you make Italy & Rome sound like Vancouver: ridiculously high costs for small living spaces; noise of one kind or another from other inhabitants; crowded transit that's erratic, usually because of traffic. On the other hand, I have many conveniences within walking distance, & people don't generally complain about my (piano) noise. It's a trade-off.

Page 13 of 91 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 90 91

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission