2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (AlkansBookcase, Barry_Braksick, danno858, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, 14 invisible), 1,836 guests, and 283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Manchild #1527528 10/03/10 04:52 PM
I
I
Manchild,

As a *lifelong* vegetarian, I’d like to say I’m glad Musician’s Friend is fixing everything. Hope you get lots of enjoyment from your piano and practice a lot!

eweiss #1527572 10/03/10 06:15 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by eweiss
Actually, this may be a PW first. I've never seen anyone argue about the morality of hunting before on a piano forum. The way I look at it, if you eat meat (and unfortunately I do) then hunting for food is OK in my book.

But ... if you just do it for sport, well, you might try rock climbing or something.

This just made me wonder if a controversial piano discussion has ever broken out on a hunter's forum...lol.

Last edited by CebuKid; 10/03/10 06:16 PM.

YouTube Channel
Scott Joplin Repertoire

Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
- Berthold Auerbach

[Linked Image]
Manchild #1527579 10/03/10 06:24 PM
P
P
I'm not sure what either firearms or being a racial minority has to do with being sent the wrong mail-order goods, but I'm sure there's a connection there somewhere ... or not.

For those who are so keen to keep the "tradition" of hunting alive, why not volunteer for military service? There the things you shoot at DO shoot back and I'm sure would add to the "sport" of it all wink

PS Off to grab me a slave and beat the living daylights out of her. That being another "tradition" I seem to recall.

Last edited by PeteF; 10/03/10 06:26 PM.

No that wasn't a bum note! It was my ... "artistic interpretation" emerging.
CebuKid #1527728 10/03/10 11:49 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CebuKid
This just made me wonder if a controversial piano discussion has ever broken out on a hunter's forum...lol.
laugh
I'll have to google that.

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
CebuKid #1527729 10/03/10 11:51 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Actually, this may be a PW first. I've never seen anyone argue about the morality of hunting before on a piano forum. The way I look at it, if you eat meat (and unfortunately I do) then hunting for food is OK in my book.

But ... if you just do it for sport, well, you might try rock climbing or something.

Maybe Baldwin could make a "Mossy Oak" finish grand and sell them at Cabella's or Gander Mountain grin

I'll figure it out eventually.
Until then you may want to keep a safe distance.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
CebuKid #1527737 10/04/10 12:04 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

LOL, now there's a thought! grin

Anyways, glad your piano issue got sorted out Manchild.

And while we're all here making our feelings on the gun/hunting issue public... Personally I do not believe in hunting for sport (and like Super Hunky I also wonder why it's still legal, aside from brief spurts if overpopulation becomes a problem), and I don't do any hunting at all period, never have and likely never will, I just don't have it in me to kill something that is minding its own business. That said, I have nothing against people who do it for food, do it humanely and actually eat the thing and not just say they do. I also have nothing against firearms or firearm ownership for self-defense (a human breaking into someone's house with intent to harm wouldn't exactly be "minding his own business"), or for target shooting (I can appreciate the sport in that). I also don't understand why so many people fear guns, I live in Arkansas and almost everyone has at least one gun in their house (even my grandmother has a pistol stowed away, with ammo!) but I never feel like I'm in danger being here.

Anyways, I don't even own a gun right now (Well, there's the revolver that belonged to my grandfather but it's been sitting in a box in the closet for years now with no cartridges in the house, so it's not like it can be fired) but like I said I have no feelings against them, I'm just not a fan of the whole hunting thing. Though I do go fishing sometimes (maybe once or twice a year) so maybe that makes me a hypocrite, I don't know, but then again I never seem to catch anything. Hmm... help

Come to think of it, I only even go fishing (however rarely) because it's very relaxing, but then I suppose I could substitute the pole and hook for a nice book out on the pond/lake and still get the desired effect. whistle

Manchild #1527769 10/04/10 01:06 AM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
AnotherSchmoe what sets me off is killing for pleasure. It's just wrong.

Anyway as far as guns go, I own a Ruger Redhawk 44 mag loaded with corbin heavy grain bear bullets that is with me at all times in the forrest. I have seen 5 black bears which have never caused a problem but last summer Mrs Hunky was taking close up macro pictures in the woods when a very young black bear cub ran just a few feet in front of her. Needless to say this can be a very unintentionally bad situation....getting between a mother and her cubs.

I have no intention of ever using my gun but I will if I must for personal protection.

I also own a Smith & Wesson 642 revolver again just for personal protection.

I wish we lived in a society in which nobody had guns but being a realist, I don't want to be the only one without one. In a way, that could be seen as irresponsible if you think about it!

I also think it would be irresponsible to take myself and my wife into the forrest where there ARE a known black bear population. I don't want to give black bears a bad rap because they are known to usually just run from you as soon as they see you but a bad situation could always arise that was certainly unplanned such as accidently getting between a mother and her cubs.

I did shoot and kill a squirrel with a BB gun as a kid like stupid kids do. I felt really bad about it afterwards and even remember burying it. I can clearly remember feeling like such an evil person for killing an innocent animal for no reason other than to shoot at something that moved.

People should not do these things. Ever.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Yeah, I'll never understand how someone can kill for pleasure. I've lived in Northeast Arkansas for the past 8 years or so, haven't seen any bears out here, I do see deer fairly often, I get pleasure from them but it's from appreciating their grace and beauty and how good they are at staying hidden, not from shooting them. shocked

Been getting a lot of armadillos in the yard at night this year too, they've probably dug about 30 holes out back, those rascals. Went out with the dog on the leash one night (leashed because I didn't want her to actually get too close to any of them) to see if they'd be afraid of her and run away (we're talking about a 100lb pyrenees / shepherd mix, she's totally harmless though, I'm thinking she'd rather play with the armadillos than scare them away but it was worth a shot), nope, armadillo walked right up to her and just stared at us, so we ended up being the ones going back in with our tails between our legs lol (might be carrying some kind of disease and I don't want her to get bit incase it goes into defensive mode). They are neat to watch, I'm surprised at how brave they are, I saw one out on the front porch at night too (dog was barking like crazy and I went to see what was going on), turned the outside light on expecting it to run but it just waddled up to the window and stared in at me, hehe. I don't mind them though, aside from the holes they dig everywhere. I just ignore them now, on the positive side they're usually kind enough to leave their little dirt pile next to the hole so it's just a matter of pushing it back in.

Manchild #1527780 10/04/10 02:12 AM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Solution is to bait a trap and then relocate them. I've also heard that pouring vinegar in the holes will entice them to move to your neighbors yard instead.

It may be worth a try but don't tell your neighbors what your doing!

Manchild #1528748 10/05/10 03:43 PM
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
"Turns out everything went alright I gave Musician's friend a call. and everything worked out."

Glad that it was all resolved in the proper way!

Can you explain your remark? I suppose you don't mean that you are providing meat to us like others here suggest?

"You ask me why am I a hunter? I do this for you, it is a tradition many of you have forgotten."

For the other, meat-eating people, don't you think it would be better if animals could live in the wild and then been shot instead of being in a prison all their live?

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission