2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
32 members (Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, cmoody31, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,231 guests, and 336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
OP Offline
R
I bought Avatar Easy Piano and compared to my older book, Jurassic Park Easy Piano, Avatar is a whole level easier.
I also noticed one man, Dan Coates, writes a lot of the Easy arrangements. For example his arrangement of the Raider's March from Indiana Jones is super easy.

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
I think we all know that "Easy piano" is often not that easy. Sheet music Plus says "Easy piano" is often level 4 (intermediate). I looked at the selections for both those books that SMP had online and they looked similar standard to me. Perhaps the Avatar music fits under your fingers better?

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
S
S
Well I don't really think so. A lot of the stuff has been recycled over and over for who knows how many years. I have a dan coates book from the early 90's, and some of it is kinda tricky(bohemian rhasphody) and some of it is too easy to even bother with(doesn't even really sound like it should).

And with regards to what andy said, yeah for a begginer, easy piano is usually still hard, so it would be good if it was easier.

However, Big note easy play seems to be kinda new and that stuff is really easy. I didn't even like it when i was a beginner because the notes were so large I just couldn't stand it.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Well look at what Mendelssohn wrote for kinderstucke!

Currently working on: Perfecting the Op 2/1, studying the 27/2 last movement. Chopin Nocturne 32/2 and Posth. C#m, 'Raindrop' prelude and Etude 10/9
Repetoire: Beethoven op 2/1, 10/1(1st, 2nd), 13, 14/1, 27/1(1st, 2nd), 27/2, 28(1st, 2nd), 31/2(1st, 3rd), 49/1, 49/2, 78(1st), 79, 90, 101(1st)
I think the fact that many compositions meant for children such as Debussy's Children's Corner is considered grade 9 and above says a lot.

Our daily lives have become very fast paced compared to previous generations. People want to get the most out of something by spending as little time, money, and effort as possible. Publishers are making "easy" even easier so that students can play arrangements of their favorite pop songs and tell others "I can play ______ on the piano" sooner.

Bach - BWV847 P&F in Cm
Bach - BWV861 P&F in Gm
Mozart - K397 Fantasia in Dm
Mozart - K475 Fantasia in Cm
Chopin - Nocturne in C#m
Debussy - La fille aux cheveux de lin
Debussy - Golliwogg's Cakewalk
Hofmann - 37-1 To the Lute
Gade - 19-2 Scherzo
Chopin - 25-12 Ocean
Chopin - 25-1 Aeolian Harp
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I find that "Easy Play" or pieces that have been scaled down leave much to be desired.

Most times the arranger omits what makes it music. It takes me what seems to be a long time to learn any given piece my teacher has assigned, so for me it's not worth the effort to play something that dosen't have the right sound. A while ago I went to the library and borrowed easier to play Christmas Carols, and I was dissappointed, give me the real McCoy.

Just wish there were well-written music books that have been made easier but respect the integrity of the music as originally written. "Easy Play" should not translate to "Dumbed Down". smile

Last edited by musdan; 10/05/10 11:10 AM.
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
A lot of popular music has extremely intricate rhythms that a beginner wouldn't be able to play except by ear. So then they simplify the rhythm and the result is it doesn't sound like the original any more.

I agree that sometimes it's better to wait until you can play the real deal rather than play an easier arrangement.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by GYABEAUX
I think the fact that many compositions meant for children such as Debussy's Children's Corner is considered grade 9 and above says a lot.

Hmm, not that I would treat Wikipedia as an expert on all things but I think it's pretty accurate when it says
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The pieces are not intended to be played by children; rather they are meant to be evocative of childhood.

The spreadsheet I have (which seems reasonable) puts Seranade of the Doll at grade 8. Here's Horowitz playing it:

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
I do think that some music publishers have 'dumbed down' the levels they indicate on their music books, where "intermediate" is for about a second-year piano student, and "advanced" for about a third- or fourth-year student.

I'd think that for most people learning piano, years 1-3 are beginner, and years 4-5 are intermediate. From scratch, it takes most people about 5-7 years to reach 'advanced' status unless they are exceptionally talented and/or dedicated.

Agreed that many of the simplified / "easy" piano arrangements are unsatisfying. I'd rather work up to playing the real unadulterated versions of famous pieces. While working up to that level, why not find pieces that are simple and yet musically satisfying?

Colin Dunn
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
robot: maybe you're just getting better at playing? grin

I agree with GYABEAUX, it seems to be an 'instant gratification' issue.

Collector of sheet music I can't play.

Chickering & Sons Quarter Grand (rebuilt 2021)
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I think it depends on he music, and what TYPE of music it is and what it has been written for. Some songs are written more advanced than others, so even when you simplify them, they might still be a bit harder than some of the others.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission