Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1525851 - 09/30/10 06:59 PM Turning sheet music while playing
MrHazelton Offline

Loc: CT
How do you turn pages of your sheet music while playing and not missing a beat? On slower pieces I can usually do it, but I'm playing a fairly quick piece now and I basically cannot find a convenient time to flip the page while playing.

(ads P/S)
Sauter Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1525868 - 09/30/10 07:28 PM Re: Turning sheet music while playing [Re: MrHazelton]
crystal01 Offline

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Hi MrHazelton

I have come across this a few times, especially when the piece is more than a few pages long. For my exam last year I played Moderato 'First Movement from Sonatina Op. 98 No 2' by Carl Reinecke. It is a fast moving piece which is 6 pages long, unfortunately I didn't get to the stage that I had it memorised. A few tips my teacher gave me was to put a fold mark down on the top right or bottom right hand corner so it makes it easier to grab and flick the page over. I also had to find points in the piece that had a short pause/rest and then I would use that to turn the page.

If the piece you are working on isn't too long you may find that you can memorise it ..

Good luck

#1526038 - 10/01/10 05:12 AM Re: Turning sheet music while playing [Re: MrHazelton]
WiseBuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brighton Colorado
I memorize the measures before and after the turn and practice the turn slowly then faster and faster until it is part of my playing of the piece

Love to learn

#1526054 - 10/01/10 07:09 AM Re: Turning sheet music while playing [Re: MrHazelton]
SpencerF Offline

If you are really good at sight reading you would probably be able to look ahead far enough that this wouldn't be a problem, but for us mortals, I would take klollars advice ^

#1528599 - 10/05/10 11:51 AM Re: Turning sheet music while playing [Re: MrHazelton]
ChristinaW Offline

Loc: Washington DC
I basically do a bit of several things mentioned. First, I turn quickly on pages where the turning point is a natural break or perhaps only the RH is playing, etc. I also may memorize the surrounding bars so there is no break. If I'm going to play in public (I play at various amateur events and have to play a lot of different things, some without notice), I edit the piece to copy and paste it so it does have a page break at a good point. What I mean is I Xerox the sheet music and put it in a notebook (I like to do that anyway, rather than carrying around all my complete books). Then if one piece really needs a break at a different point, I may tape one extra line above it or something. You have to be creative. It also means you can decide which two pages are facing you rather than accepting the way it was printed. Alsoo, you can then often put three pages in front of you that way, if necessary.

It's never been a problem for me that anyone has noticed that much or that the music lags. If I were playing something very fast and virtuosic which went on for pages breathlessly, this might not work, but I don't ever do that, actually.

#1529222 - 10/06/10 07:37 AM Re: Turning sheet music while playing [Re: MrHazelton]
samasap Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
I would suggest memorising the first couple of bars over the page, and then this way you will be able to turn the page when you have a break in rhythm in either hand.

The other thing to do is to photocopy the music and join it together, so you could sellotape it, and then have it laid out on your piano or music stand.

#1529311 - 10/06/10 09:59 AM Re: Turning sheet music while playing [Re: MrHazelton]
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: not in Japan anymore
I have always been good at turning pages, often finding a spot so that I'm turning a little early or late. But one piece I am working in now, I just cannot do it. There is a two page stretch where it's basically endless 16th notes in both hands, and I simply cannot turn a page there without missing a whole measure! Also, there are some similar stretches of music that are just different enough to earlier bits to be confusing! So I haven't had success memorizing that part either. My solution is to tape the pages together, and spread the music out across the piano. The music is 11 pages long, and what I've done is set it up so that I only turn twice during the whole score. I'm working on memorizing another part of it, so it will probably end up that I only turn once.

#1529320 - 10/06/10 10:13 AM Re: Turning sheet music while playing [Re: MrHazelton]
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: not in Japan anymore
BTW here's what I mean by "tape the page together." Let's say it's a 4-page score. Copy the music onto 17x11 inche paper (double sized paper, two pages on one sheet, no need for reduding the print size). Now you should have two sheets, with pages 1&2 on one sheet and pages 3&4 on another. Get one more sheet of 17x11 paper (blank) and some double-sided tape. Fold the extra sheet in half once to give yourself a mark. Use the double-side tape and tape page 2 (right half of first double sheet) to the left side of the blank sheet, and page 3 (left half of the second sheet of music) to the right side of the blank sheet. Now you have four pages of music on essentially "one" piece of paper. Using the blank page to join the two sheets gives the whole thing a little more stability also, helping it to "stand up" on the piano's music stand better. I have been doing thus for years, and the sheet music lasts forever, much better than using cellophane tape between two pages. And, I have done it for up to 11 pages of music! For a piece that long, I make a few "pages" like a book in the middle, and turn those during the music, but it let's me only have to turn once or twice, as opposed to turning 5 times!

If the above description doesn't make sense let me know!!

Edited by ShiroKuro (10/06/10 10:16 AM)
Edit Reason: Can't type

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
119 registered (ando, Almaviva, accordeur, 32 invisible), 1523 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74223 Members
42 Forums
153537 Topics
2250024 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What is the strangest thing you have found inside a piano?
by That Tooner
28 minutes 31 seconds ago
Kawai vs Ritmuller
by cromax
38 minutes 39 seconds ago
Considering going into debt for a Steinway grand
by joonsang
Today at 10:38 PM
Best Glue for Damper Pads
by JMichaelWilson
Today at 10:07 PM
Went to the store and tried out lots of DPs
by lang15
Today at 09:18 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission