Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1543266 - 10/25/10 03:53 PM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Dave Ferris]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
I think I can get a NP88 for just under $2100, new. What would you do?

https://soundcloud.com/richards-recordings/sets/strange-charm-waiting-for-the/s-ppGuy

"can hardly wait to hear what voxpox has to say..."
[HisKidd, May 2014]

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Special Financing on Digital Keyboards

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#1543278 - 10/25/10 04:05 PM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Dave Ferris]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
Well I paid £1699 which amounts to $2672. Obviously prices differ between the US and UK but it looks like a good price to me!

You're still going to have to play it though aren't you before deciding? Not that I did...I took a gamble on it although the store had a policy whereby they'd take it back.

Steve

#1543290 - 10/25/10 04:30 PM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: EssBrace]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: EssBrace
Well I paid £1699 which amounts to $2672. Obviously prices differ between the US and UK but it looks like a good price to me!

You're still going to have to play it though aren't you before deciding? Not that I did...I took a gamble on it although the store had a policy whereby they'd take it back.

Steve

I played all the v5 pianos when I had my NE3. I am very comfortable with the AP sounds, and happy enough with the EPs. I just love the flexibility and upgradeability. The only thing I'm in the dark about is the action.

https://soundcloud.com/richards-recordings/sets/strange-charm-waiting-for-the/s-ppGuy

[HisKidd, May 2014]

#1543927 - 10/26/10 12:01 PM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Dave Ferris]
PianoZac Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Dave I think the Nord Piano sounds better. It sounds much more natural and less 'canned' if that makes sense. As always, great playing. I reluctantly have to agree (only because it's frustratingly true) that there is NO digital piano that connects the way the acoustic pianos do. They're getting really good though. The Roland PHA III action and SN pianos are closer than anything else I've played, by far IMHO. I've yet to play any of the newest Kawai DPs though.

Kawai James, can you point me to a Kawai dealer in Nashville, TN? I'd greatly appreciate it!

"Be who you are and say how you feel. Because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

#1544143 - 10/26/10 06:06 PM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Dave Ferris]
Kawai James Online   content
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
PianoZac, I'll send you a PM later.

Cheers,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1577641 - 12/16/10 01:27 AM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Kawai James]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.
Well, the NP is going back to Clavia. I really appreciated the opportunity to try it out both at home for recording and on the gig. I'm really going to miss the portability factor and its excellent mono feature the most. I think in the future Nord might be a little more in tune to what Jazz pianists are looking for.

If I were a player whose main voice was the Rhodes or Wurlitzer , I would not hesitate for a second to make the NP my main ax. cool

2005 NY Steinway D, Yamaha CP5, CP4, Nord Piano 2
RCF TT08A & TT22A speakers

#1577657 - 12/16/10 01:55 AM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Dave Ferris]
8000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Dave Ferris
If I were a player whose main voice was the Rhodes or Wurlitzer , I would not hesitate for a second to make the NP my main ax. cool

Over the CP5?

Cheers,
James
x

#1816136 - 12/31/11 08:06 PM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Kawai James]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Here's part 1 of an example of the Nord Piano 88 in action. This was recorded into PT HD a few weeks ago as part of a year end student project for the composition class at LAMA (LA Music Academy). They were required to write a melody or "head' on All the things you are.

On this track I think the engineer used an API module taken from an old console at Wally Heider studio to record the piano and Trumpet (Howie Shear). Nothing fancy from the piano, just basic accompaniment with a walking bass in the middle.

This is the Nord Piano 88 with the Bosendorfer XL sample

http://www.divshare.com/download/16491551-c35

Part 2 with the a solo in the full group with the Yamaha Bright Grand sample will be coming soon. It's part of a vocal tune that the engineer still has to mix. So should get it sometime next week. But thought I'd post this here as is right now.

#1816457 - 01/01/12 01:49 PM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Dave Ferris]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I was reading an old thread were I originally posted all of this at the Keyboard Corner/Music player forum and I noticed another short, older CP5 clip with the S6 sample. I'd never posted that here and thought people might be interested in to hearing it.

The CP5 S6 has never been a favorite of mine live but here, recorded, it sounds pretty good I think.

Anyway this is an attempt ( wink ) at a up-tempo Salsa version of the great Kenny Barron tune "Voyage" with the CP-5 drum track.

Yamaha CP-5 "S6 Grand"
http://www.divshare.com/download/12851076-a66

#1816667 - 01/01/12 08:02 PM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Dave Ferris]
PianoZac Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Sounds good Dave. Nice playing. I've been off the forum for months so am a little behind what's going on, but when and why did you decide to get the NP88? I noticed it's become quite the popular board here lately.

"Be who you are and say how you feel. Because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

#1816770 - 01/01/12 11:30 PM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Dave Ferris]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: So. California
Good stuff Dave. That S6 though doesn't sound like a real S6. Maybe the S6 I'm used to playing is always made to sound less bright. But this is brighter and lacking the body in comparison. Kind of like the Bright Grand S4 in the Nord. Really brighter than expected. And I'm fond of S pianos.

Since you had an S6 yourself, maybe yours turned bright too. The S6 I'm used to (and you know which one), does get special treatment and new hammers frequently. Maybe that's why it never gets bright.

Also like Zachary, I really lost track of when you shifted back in favor of the Nord. I only remember reading this thread.

#1816948 - 01/02/12 09:47 AM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Dave Ferris]
CyberGene Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Sofia, Bulgaria
Wow, the Nord Piano sounds marvellous in all the recordings. I have somehow missed this thread. I've just listened to all the samples and I must admit I am amazed at how realistic the NP sounds. I would have easily mistaken it for a real acoustic piano. Maybe part of that impression comes from the Dave's top-notch playing! It's such a pleasure to listen to you, Dave smile

Seems I'll have to give the NP a try although I am afraid nobody offers NP in Bulgaria except for online ordering frown

#1832509 - 01/26/12 06:52 PM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: CyberGene]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Here's the second tune from that LAMA (LA Music Academy) session with the Nord Piano.
Again this is for the composition/arranging students at the school. They write out the arrangement and we play it. This was a first take and we had no scratch vocal to play off of.. cry . The vocalist here is one of the students who obviously overdubbed his vocal later...

I received the file in its entirety like this. If you want to skip the vocal-the comping and Trumpet solo start at 2:00. The Piano solo comes in around 3:05..

This is the XL Yamaha Bright Grand:

http://www.divshare.com/download/16656388-108

#1832529 - 01/26/12 07:45 PM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Dave Ferris]
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta GA USA
Dave, the playing is wonderful, as always...

if the CP5 were as light as the NP88, would you bother with the Nord? I have always preferred the sound of the cp5 on your recordings- which really surprised me. My impression is you like the Nord for its outstanding portability more than anything?

Steinway M; Roland V-Piano; Yamaha P250; Roland FP 5
Ivory II Grands, Italian, American D; Galaxy Vintage D; Alicia's Keys; Garritan Steinway; Galaxy Pianos; The Grand 3

#1832560 - 01/26/12 08:44 PM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Dave Ferris]
PianoZac Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Sounds outstanding Dave. The Bright Grand is quickly becoming my favorite piano. It sounds really nice in this mix, very organic. Thanks for sharing. BTW, how does it sound live to your ears compared to the NP88?

#1832603 - 01/26/12 10:24 PM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: PianoZac]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks guys, really appreciated.

Originally Posted By: bfb
if the CP5 were as light as the NP88, would you bother with the Nord? I have always preferred the sound of the cp5 on your recordings- which really surprised me. My impression is you like the Nord for its outstanding portability more than anything?

You know at first the portability was the main issue in me getting the NP again. But after using it on probably close to 20 gigs now, in a way I prefer the sound to the CP5 live. It cuts through better. In the registers above High C it doesn't sound as realistic as the CP5 but in the middle, low and middle high it sounds good. The action still isn't very inspiring to play on. I try not to let it be an issue when I play but I'm definitely more fluent on the CP5 without a doubt. On the other hand, what I'm losing action wise, I'm gaining in sonics. Sometimes the CP5 as great as it sounds solo or recorded loses something live..it seems almost too mellow for certain situations.

The new Bright Grand and Bosie sample along with the long release feature made a night and day in difference in my feeling better about the Nord pianos.

If I had a big concert, with a really great sound system and there wasn't an acoustic available (for some strange reason), I'd probably still opt for the Yamaha just from an expressive and overall playability standpoint. But since most of the stuff I'm doing requires me schlepping the keyboard myself, the Nord is getting the call most often these days.

Basically there are trade offs with both, neither are in the same universe as a piano. They're both very good, imo the best things out there at this point in time-different colors for sure. In the end you just try and do your best, even though it's not a real piano, and just focus on the music and try to not let the *gear* get too much in the way...

Originally Posted By: ZacharyForbes
BTW, how does it sound live to your ears compared to the NP88?

Hey Zach, I'm assuming you meant CP5...but see the above..

#1832829 - 01/27/12 09:22 AM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Dave Ferris]
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta GA USA

In the end you just try and do your best, even though it's not a real piano, and just focus on the music and try to not let the *gear* get too much in the way.....

man, that really is the stone-cold truth. sometimes when i read these threads, i can't help but hear Dusty Springfield singing "Wishin' and Hopin"... the theme of this forum!!!

Steinway M; Roland V-Piano; Yamaha P250; Roland FP 5
Ivory II Grands, Italian, American D; Galaxy Vintage D; Alicia's Keys; Garritan Steinway; Galaxy Pianos; The Grand 3

#1833654 - 01/28/12 02:02 PM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Dave Ferris]
fanord Offline

Sounds excellent! What settings (eq etc.) did you use for this recording? I don't know why but it sounds better in your recording than when I play the Bright Grand. Maybe you're just a lot better player than I am smile

#1833717 - 01/28/12 03:49 PM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: fanord]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks - no eq or effects (from the keyboard) were used. Just the standard BG sample as it was loaded in.

#1833934 - 01/28/12 11:46 PM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Dave Ferris]
robbinson Offline

Loc: Westchester, NY
nice!

#1834582 - 01/29/12 10:41 PM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Dave Ferris]
James Pun Offline

Thanks Dave! Excellent playing and demos, and they help us get a better idea of the DP sounds and make better purchase decisions!

#1892617 - 05/06/12 11:57 PM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: robbinson]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I couldn't let the the chance to record the 2 DPs with this great preamp I'm trying out, the Forssell SM2, pass by before I return it tomorrow. So since the newer Nord Bosie sample came out since the last time I did this, I thought I'd include that. I tried to match the levels, it's close but not perfect.

So it's DPs > Radial Duplex DI > Forssell SM2 (prototype) > Tascam DV-RA1000HD (Audio Upgrades modded A/D & D/A)

The great Louis Bonfa tune "Gentle Rain" :

Yamaha CP5 (CF Grand)
http://www.divshare.com/download/17580870-0f4

Nord Piano XL Bosendorfer
http://www.divshare.com/download/17580902-268

#1892618 - 05/07/12 12:01 AM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Dave Ferris]
8000 Post Club Member

Dave, pardon my ignorance (I've yet to listen to your recordings), however I'm just curious as to how the sound is improved by using the additional hardware, as opposed to recording directly into the Tascam.

Cheers,
James
x

#1892620 - 05/07/12 12:07 AM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Dave Ferris]
PianoZac Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Sounds great Dave. Thanks for sharing. I think the Nord sounds better while comping and the Yamaha sounds a little more even and refined. I think then Yamaha sounds better throughout the upper registers. Both sound good though.

#1892638 - 05/07/12 12:52 AM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Dave Ferris]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

The great Louis Bonfa tune "Gentle Rain" :

Yamaha CP5 (CF Grand)
http://www.divshare.com/download/17580870-0f4

Nord Piano XL Bosendorfer
http://www.divshare.com/download/17580902-268

Dave,

The "Gentle Rain" tune happens to be one of my favorites, and, you play both renditions very well.

I'll have to find my copy of the sheet music (arranged by George Shearing), to try it.

Nice job!

pv88

#1899757 - 05/19/12 12:57 PM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Kawai James]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Kawai James
Dave, pardon my ignorance (I've yet to listen to your recordings), however I'm just curious as to how the sound is improved by using the additional hardware, as opposed to recording directly into the Tascam.

Cheers,
James
x

Hey James. I can't tell you in technical terms what it does. But just listening, the higher end preamp gives the sound more fullness, realism and detail for a start. You can't record directly into a hard disk recorder (or any source) unless the recorder already has some internal preamps, in which case, the Tascam doesn't. For recording I've always been using the pres from my Soundcraft Delta mixer. These have been hot-rodded by Jim Williams at Audio Upgrades and are very good. As nice as they sound, they have their sonic limitations and are no match for a stand alone dedicated preamp. I think if you A/B my earlier Nord/CP5 recordings with these latest ones there's a pretty obvious difference.

The Radial Duplex Stereo Di is simply a way to interface with the preamp, to change the impedance from line level to mic. In the process of going into the pres, the Radial further helps in smoothing out the sound without coloring it, in addition to adding more punch both live and on the recording.. Hope that helps.

In the meantime, in my continuing search for something for the Steinway and also that can pull double duty, live, with the DP, I have yet another preamp over here to mess around with. This time the John Hardy Twin Servo.

Some more Gentle Rain, this time with the Nord XL Yamaha Bright Grand
http://www.divshare.com/download/17800621-d32

The XL Bosie again.
http://www.divshare.com/download/17800641-594

It was late over here last night after a gig, so my ears were a bit tired (plus I'm really gentle rained out cry ) but I'm hearing a tad more color withe Hardy then the Forssell. Which is normal. The Hardy has the Jenson 990 transformers and the Forssell is transformer-less.

Sad to say, no more CP5 recordings.... frown However when I finally make up my mind, I'm going to have one heck of a preamp from the sale of the CP5..

I'm going to make some recordings tomorrow on the Steinway with the Hardy...

#1899787 - 05/19/12 01:38 PM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Dave Ferris]
8000 Post Club Member

Thanks for the explanation Dave!

So is it not possible to record a piece direct from the Nord, and then re-record it using the additional hardware?

James
x

#1899864 - 05/19/12 04:28 PM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Kawai James]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Sorry but you lost me there. "Re-record it" -are you talking about a midi file or going into the computer usb ?

#1899869 - 05/19/12 04:42 PM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Dave Ferris]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I think James meant record it twice - once with and once without the additional processing.

[HisKidd, May 2014]

#1899874 - 05/19/12 04:53 PM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: voxpops]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Ah I see. I'm kinda in the practice/ recording the acoustic mode right now but later on if I switch gears and get back into the dp mindset, I'll try and do a short rendition of Gentle Rain just going into the hd recorder with my inexpensive A&H ZED 10 mixer. Again though for comparison, you can A/B this, which was posted earlier on in the thread, with the recent GR recordings of the Forssell & Hardy..

Soundcraft Delta board pres, no di, older Nord Yamaha Studio Grand sample.
So the chain is: DP > Soundcraft console > HD recorder
http://www.divshare.com/download/12844997-d39

Edited by Dave Ferris (05/19/12 04:58 PM)
Edit Reason: clarity

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
71 registered (Al LaPorte, barmassimo, beeboss, ando, 20 invisible), 1189 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75602 Members
42 Forums
156326 Topics
2295913 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
piano technician cost list
by ascc
Today at 01:36 AM
Liszt on Steinway A3
by Reno
Today at 01:35 AM
Roland RD800 initial impressions
by fizikisto
Today at 12:28 AM
Connected Slurs
by TX-Bluebonnet
Today at 12:17 AM
Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions
by AB Forum Recital
Yesterday at 10:17 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission