Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
112 registered (36251, Anne'sson, A Guy, anotherscott, 37 invisible), 1457 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1530919 - 10/08/10 11:30 AM Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.
I recorded two short excerpts last night of me blowing a couple choruses on the Dizzy Gillespie standard "Groovin" High". This was done more out of curiosity sake and not meant to be a controlled , scientific comparison. I added the drums of the CP-5 for more of a rhythmic reference point since there isn't a Bass player.
I tried to match the levels, I think the CP-5 has a tad more reverb. I purposely stuck to more linear playing, I'll try and record some more chordal, sustained examples later on.

Nord Piano "Grand Lady D "
http://www.divshare.com/download/12774435-4a1

CP-5 "CF Grand " (edited)
http://www.divshare.com/download/12774433-8e5

2005 NY Steinway D

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Special Financing on Digital Keyboards

Click Here

#1530931 - 10/08/10 11:42 AM Re: Jazz lines on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Dave Ferris]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
Shame the Nord is in mono on this and left of centre in the stereo field...difficult to compare when the Yammie is resplendent in stereo across the field. It's funny though that the Nord sounds quite authentic...like an old mono recording of the real thing. I own a Nord piano...I prefer Studio Grand 2 (a Yamaha C7) to the Grand Lady D.

Thanks for sharing these recordings!

Steve

#1530952 - 10/08/10 12:10 PM Re: Jazz lines on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: EssBrace]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

It was very late last night when I recorded these. As I went out to the studio and looked at my Soundcraft Delta board this morning I noticed the right NP's channel was not panned to the right cry it was at 12 o'clock straight up, so thus the mono vibe. And yet another reason why no one is paying me for being a "recording engineer". laugh

I'll try and re-record when I get a chance today. Thanks for pointing that out Steve.

2005 NY Steinway D

#1531016 - 10/08/10 01:49 PM Re: Jazz lines on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Dave Ferris]
PianoZac Offline
1000 Post Club Member

First of all great playing Dave. About the recordings, I think i might like the sound of the Nord (even though it's mono) better than the Yamaha piano. the Nord sounds more authentic. I'm quite impressed. What model Nord is that? And what's the MAP price on that? Thanks for the links Dave!

Cheers

"Be who you are and say how you feel. Because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

#1538377 - 10/18/10 08:57 PM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: PianoZac]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Some more examples. Different samples used on both pianos.

Dave Brubeck's "In Your Own Sweet Way".

Nord Piano "Studio Grand 2"
http://www.divshare.com/download/12844997-d39

Yamaha CP-5 "S6 Grand"
http://www.divshare.com/download/12844987-847

2nd disclaimer
Listening to the mp3, the Yamaha level is a little lower then the Nord.

2005 NY Steinway D

#1538581 - 10/19/10 06:08 AM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Dave Ferris]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
They both sound very nice! Both the playing and the sound. I'd be happy with either.

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#1539202 - 10/20/10 02:19 AM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Dave Ferris]
nitekatt2008z Offline
500 Post Club Member

Dave, those were nice recordings. As far as the Nord series, I honestly don't care for the type of keyboard action they are using compared to the Yamahas and my Korg M50 88 weighted keys. What is your take on the Nord keys action compared to other stage pianos? How heavy is the Yamaha and Nord?

Have you tried the Kurzweil Stage pianos? They are hard to find in the LA area. GC doesn't seem to carry them.

Last week I played the new Casio PX-3 which I liked, especially the price at $799. Of course it can't be compared to the more higher end and expensive stage pianos out there, but a good deal as a MIDI controller and under 25 lbs.

katt

#1539208 - 10/20/10 02:41 AM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: nitekatt2008z]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

The Nord Piano uses an improved action from the Nord Stage. Action is very subjective to the player and style but imo the NP doesn't quite offer the same pianistic control as the CP-5 and probably not as a fluent action that's on the Korg SV-1. Nonetheless, the NP is a pleasure to play, the action definitely does not get in the way in the least bit. On the contrary, it compliments the sound of the whole instrument nicely.

Both my CP5 and the NP are fairly light, I have to watch it since I've been putting so much time in lately on both. I've gotten back more to regular practice on the D this week so it's cool, but I have to be careful not to spend too much time on them. It will affect my piano chops in the negative for sure.

I've just tried the PC3X and it wasn't my thing. The "triple strike piano" on its own that they still use doesn't bother me that much, it's more the Kurz's Fatar action with the finger/sound connection of their sample...it feels and sounds dull and lifeless to me.

The Nord is a dream to gig with from a size/weight/live sound aspect.

2005 NY Steinway D

#1539211 - 10/20/10 02:56 AM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Dave Ferris]
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Banned
Originally Posted By: Dave Ferris
The Nord Piano uses an improved action from the Nord Stage. I've never been a fan of the Stage's action, this is definitely more playable, still not like the CP-5 though. Both are fairly light, I have to watch it since I've been putting so much time in lately on both. I've gotten back more to regular practice on the D this week so it's cool, but I have to be careful not to spend too much time on them. It will affect my piano chops in the negative for sure.

This would be another excellent post to add to the sticky "Make sure you play an acoustic piano regularly" thread...

#1541069 - 10/22/10 02:27 PM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Dave Ferris]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
Dave & Steve,

Are you yet romantically attached to your Nord Pianos? Are they boards you would want to keep long-term? If not, would you care to share?

I'm a little worried about the action. My Electro 3 sounded great (same pianos), but I just couldn't live with the action. Dave, I know you've said that the NP's action is light. My RD-300Sx's action was light, and, as a result, it was limiting. How does the Nord Piano's action compare with the best from Roland, Kawai and Yamaha in terms of playability?

Also, does the limited adjustment on effect levels irritate?

Thanks for any insight you can give.

Edited by voxpops (10/22/10 02:30 PM)

#1541085 - 10/22/10 03:07 PM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: voxpops]
PianoZac Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: voxpops
How does the Nord Piano's action compare with the best from Roland, Kawai and Yamaha in terms of playability?

Also, does the limited adjustment on effect levels irritate?

Thanks for any insight you can give.

I can't speak for Dave, but I can give you my take. I've been making many trips to local music stores playing various keyboards, and as you know currently own the RD-700GXF. I think Roland, and probably Kawai's latest DPs, own the market when it comes to action. It's really hard to say, but I think the PHA II/III actions are steps above what Yamaha/Nord/Kurzweil/Korg/Casio have. Action is a HUGE deal for me, which is what initially sold me on the RD-700GX (pre SN upgrade). Once I added the SN upgrade it improved the action, not in a literal sense, but in the way in which you press the keys and the sound is produced-it's just much more realistic than most other DPs I've played which includes the the best from Yamaha, Roland, Korg, Kurzweil, Casio, and Kawai. I think the PHA III action is about as close as it gets for non-acoustic grand pianos.

"Be who you are and say how you feel. Because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

#1541100 - 10/22/10 03:23 PM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Dave Ferris]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

voxpops...

I'm very attached to my Nord Piano...it is somehow more than the sum of its parts. Action really is ok...in terms of grand piano emulation it is inferior to Roland PHA-II or III and Yamaha GH3. I cannot comment about recent Kawai actions other than to say I believe from all that has so far been published that the Nord will also fall some way short of the Kawai, especially the RM3 wooden action.

I have briefly played a Roland with the alpha II action...not impressed and I would certainly choose the Nord over it. Likewise, I had a little go on a GHS equipped Yamaha...not for me. I think the Nord is a heavier action than either of these two.

The Nord action feels smooth and predictable to me and provides rewarding control of the piano and other tones...I am happy to leave it at that personally but as I said above if I wanted as much accuracy as possible in terms of fidelity to a real piano I would look at the big three.

I used to think I was an action geek having owned a Yamaha Gran Touch and god knows what else over the years. But I have acclimatised to the more modest Nord action and it isn't an issue for me.

On the NP I really like the Studio Grand 2 present, which is a Yamaha C7...not sure if it's what you have played before on an Electro because the Studio Grand 2 is much more recent than Studio Grand 1 (also a Yamaha C7 - I don't like it personally). In many technical ways the Nord is inferior to others I own/have owned but I enjoy playing Studio Grand 2 more than any other DP I have ever owned...and I have owned so many it scares me to think how much money I've spent.

I still maintain that the Roland SN is the only hardware DP that can stand comparison with a good sample library and therefore I think it is very clearly the most advanced sound engine available and is COMPLETELY devoid of the defects that some of us have become sensitive to, ie, looping, layers etc. But, the Nord has a character that does it for me...it's a very personal thing I suppose. I find the levels on the effects have quite significant adjustment available so again, I'm happy enough is this respect. And finally, the EPs are just astoundingly good. One of the new Rhodes sounds - Sparkletop - is truly wonderful in my opinion.

Cheers,

Steve

#1541127 - 10/22/10 04:02 PM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: PianoZac]
Hideki Matsui Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: PianoZac
I think the PHA III action is about as close as it gets for non-acoustic grand pianos.

For me the action on the Yamaha N3 I tried was the best action I have felt in the digital world.

I love the Yamaha action on my CP-1, but it really is more of an EP player's action. I haven't tried Roland's latest boards, but I really couldn't stand the action on my G8 or my 700SX. I'm trying to decide on a 700NX or the MP10... the wait is killing me.

Edited by Hideki Matsui (10/22/10 04:02 PM)
Roland Jupiter 80

#1541132 - 10/22/10 04:04 PM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Dave Ferris]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
For me the action on the Yamaha N3 I tried was the best action I have felt in the digital world.

It should be good since it's not a digital action per se but a very slightly modified action from a C3.

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#1541138 - 10/22/10 04:10 PM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Dave Ferris]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I agree, I don't think we can talk about the AG action in the same breath as any other type; it is a grand piano action. It is valid to compare all the others but the AG is on another level entirely. It almost doesn't need to be said...the AG is better than all the others. There, I said it. But it is unfair to the others to use the AG action to make unfavourable comparisons.

Steve

#1541148 - 10/22/10 04:23 PM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Dave Horne]
Hideki Matsui Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Dave Horne

It should be good since it's not a digital action per se but a very slightly modified action from a C3.

Oh I know that. I'm just pointing out that as far as DPs go, its the one with the best action out there. All DP actions have some mechanical element... except maybe the iPhone ones. Ultimately, the action in the N3 is still hitting a sensor(s).
Roland Jupiter 80

#1541149 - 10/22/10 04:23 PM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Dave Horne]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

That's the thing. None of these DPs are in the same universe as a real piano--sound , action, instrument connection.

For me they are nothing more then a tool to gig with. My priorities are weight/size factor, how well does it cut through live over the bass & drums, how well can it sound in mono, do the other sounds work live in different musical situations as well.

Since I already have a serious instrument that I do my practicing on, I just want something that's not going to get in the way too much on a gig. The NP like Steve said has a unique character of its own. After spending some time with it, gigging and just playing it in my studio, I think it's a wonderful instrument but highly dependent on the best speaker system you can pair it up with. In a way it's the best gigging tool I've ever owned from the weight/build quality perspective. The sound live is outstanding especially in mono.. The action comparison is what I stated earlier in the thread. Yeah I can definitely see holding onto this long term. I don't think there's a comparison between trying to play piano on the Electro 3 and the Nord Piano.

2005 NY Steinway D

#1541154 - 10/22/10 04:30 PM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: EssBrace]
Hideki Matsui Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: EssBrace
But it is unfair to the others to use the AG action to make unfavourable comparisons.

Steve

Apologies. Wasn't trying to do that. I was just pointing out that it is the DP that I felt had the best action. Since there are quite a few home DPs that seem to be in the same size range as the N2/N3, I thought Yamaha's approach of just putting a real action in rather than trying to simulate a GP action was a good idea. Limitations in size are obviously going to limit what you can do with a portable stage DP.

Edited by Hideki Matsui (10/22/10 04:38 PM)
Roland Jupiter 80

#1541159 - 10/22/10 04:35 PM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Dave Ferris]
Hideki Matsui Offline
500 Post Club Member

That's the thing. None of these DPs are in the same universe as a real piano--sound , action, instrument connection.

Completely true. Really excellent playing by the way.

I think stage DPs are great for live performances and an easy transition when you practice on a real piano.

I'm trying to find a DP that is relatively portable (e.g. CP1) but will also serve as a good practice instrument in the evenings and late night when my 7 year old son's activities interfere with my practice... or vice versa.

Edited by Hideki Matsui (10/22/10 04:37 PM)
Roland Jupiter 80

#1541167 - 10/22/10 04:47 PM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: EssBrace]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

And finally, the EPs are just astoundingly good. One of the new Rhodes sounds - Sparkletop - is truly wonderful in my opinion.

The Sparkletop is great ! So is the Wurli. It's fun to play these different EPs on gigs and see the amazement on the faces of the other musicians that go back far enough to remember what the real thing sounded like.

I owned the RD700GX for about a month when it first came out. I spent considerable hours on it, gigging and practicing with it. It's very subjective but that action and the sound of that piano just did not connect with me at all. Again like Steve said, it's a very personal thing. The Nord maybe is not as sophisticated from an action standpoint but there's something about the total package of the NP that feels so alive and organic when I get it out live.

2005 NY Steinway D

#1541173 - 10/22/10 04:56 PM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Dave Ferris]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

.....there's something about the total package of the NP that feels so alive and organic....

Yes, you've pretty much put your finger on it with this simple statement Dave!

#1541190 - 10/22/10 05:12 PM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Dave Ferris]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Thank you all for your input, and very balanced analysis.

However, I hope you realize that you've given me one more headache to contend with! I now have to add the Nord Piano into my search. So far I'm down to:
MP6 - modest weight, unknown action, unknown pianos, drawbar organs, good controller functions;
NP88 - lightweight, great APs and EPs, intuitive, so-so action(?);
FP-7f - possibly great APs, run-of-the-mill EPs(?), good action, slightly heavy but includes speakers.

#1541191 - 10/22/10 05:12 PM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: EssBrace]
Kawai James Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
But guys, didn't anyone tell you? You're not allowed to like the Nords because they're red!

(joke)

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1541204 - 10/22/10 05:31 PM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Dave Ferris]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

James, the red matches the hue of my bank account thanks to the ceaseless quest to find the perfect DP!

#1541218 - 10/22/10 05:40 PM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Dave Ferris]
9000 Post Club Member

Lol! wink

#1541665 - 10/23/10 11:25 AM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Dave Ferris]
7notemode Offline

Loc: Raleigh/Durham NC
Hey, Dave F., I went to Nord's website and listened to sound examples of their pianos. It is remarkable they can get such incredible sound out of 64MB's. If they did a sound module, I would get it in a minute!

Tom

#1541706 - 10/23/10 12:36 PM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: 7notemode]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hey Tom. I kept going to their site and listening to the the Ravel, Grieg and Schumann examples and was pretty knocked out with the clarity of the sound. The Nord sounds very different then all the other DPs. I think it's a great keyboard, especially for taking out to jobs.

2005 NY Steinway D

#1541789 - 10/23/10 02:43 PM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Dave Ferris]
7notemode Offline

Loc: Raleigh/Durham NC
I see where the Nord Piano has 500 MB of memory. I wonder if they will ever come out with a single 500 MB piano, for instance. Yes the Grieg, Ravel pieces are amazing.

#1541795 - 10/23/10 02:54 PM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: 7notemode]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
Originally Posted By: 7notemode
It is remarkable they can get such incredible sound out of 64MB's.

If they tripled that they could get rid of the fairly heavy stretching. Triple it again and the attack and loop samples would be long enough to almost not notice that it's looped. If it's knocking your socks off at 64MB, imagine the drool factor at 10x that.

The Nord specs for the NP say there is Approx. 500 MB is available for the piano sounds. I wonder if there are any engineering limitations in the NP that would prevent a single piano from being the size of the entire sample memory?

[edit]Tom, you read my mind!

Edited by dewster (10/23/10 02:55 PM)

#1541812 - 10/23/10 03:31 PM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Dave Ferris]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I think in theory you could have one piano patch of approx 500 MB. There is a Bosendorfer sample that was due for release third quarter of this year...now quoted as "later in 2010". Their sample sizes have crept up steadily and I expect the Bosie to be maybe just under 100 MB...not much I know but going in the right direction.

Steve

#1543266 - 10/25/10 03:53 PM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Dave Ferris]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I think I can get a NP88 for just under $2100, new. What would you do?

#1543278 - 10/25/10 04:05 PM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Dave Ferris]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Well I paid £1699 which amounts to $2672. Obviously prices differ between the US and UK but it looks like a good price to me!

You're still going to have to play it though aren't you before deciding? Not that I did...I took a gamble on it although the store had a policy whereby they'd take it back.

Steve

#1543290 - 10/25/10 04:30 PM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: EssBrace]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Well I paid £1699 which amounts to $2672. Obviously prices differ between the US and UK but it looks like a good price to me!

You're still going to have to play it though aren't you before deciding? Not that I did...I took a gamble on it although the store had a policy whereby they'd take it back.

Steve

I played all the v5 pianos when I had my NE3. I am very comfortable with the AP sounds, and happy enough with the EPs. I just love the flexibility and upgradeability. The only thing I'm in the dark about is the action.

#1543927 - 10/26/10 12:01 PM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Dave Ferris]
PianoZac Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Dave I think the Nord Piano sounds better. It sounds much more natural and less 'canned' if that makes sense. As always, great playing. I reluctantly have to agree (only because it's frustratingly true) that there is NO digital piano that connects the way the acoustic pianos do. They're getting really good though. The Roland PHA III action and SN pianos are closer than anything else I've played, by far IMHO. I've yet to play any of the newest Kawai DPs though.

Kawai James, can you point me to a Kawai dealer in Nashville, TN? I'd greatly appreciate it!

#1544143 - 10/26/10 06:06 PM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Dave Ferris]
9000 Post Club Member

PianoZac, I'll send you a PM later.

Cheers,
James
x

#1577641 - 12/16/10 01:27 AM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Kawai James]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Well, the NP is going back to Clavia. I really appreciated the opportunity to try it out both at home for recording and on the gig. I'm really going to miss the portability factor and its excellent mono feature the most. I think in the future Nord might be a little more in tune to what Jazz pianists are looking for.

If I were a player whose main voice was the Rhodes or Wurlitzer , I would not hesitate for a second to make the NP my main ax. cool

2005 NY Steinway D

#1577657 - 12/16/10 01:55 AM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Dave Ferris]
9000 Post Club Member

If I were a player whose main voice was the Rhodes or Wurlitzer , I would not hesitate for a second to make the NP my main ax. cool

Over the CP5?

Cheers,
James
x

#1816136 - 12/31/11 08:06 PM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Kawai James]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Here's part 1 of an example of the Nord Piano 88 in action. This was recorded into PT HD a few weeks ago as part of a year end student project for the composition class at LAMA (LA Music Academy). They were required to write a melody or "head' on All the things you are.

On this track I think the engineer used an API module taken from an old console at Wally Heider studio to record the piano and Trumpet (Howie Shear). Nothing fancy from the piano, just basic accompaniment with a walking bass in the middle.

This is the Nord Piano 88 with the Bosendorfer XL sample

http://www.divshare.com/download/16491551-c35

Part 2 with the a solo in the full group with the Yamaha Bright Grand sample will be coming soon. It's part of a vocal tune that the engineer still has to mix. So should get it sometime next week. But thought I'd post this here as is right now.

2005 NY Steinway D

#1816457 - 01/01/12 01:49 PM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Dave Ferris]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I was reading an old thread were I originally posted all of this at the Keyboard Corner/Music player forum and I noticed another short, older CP5 clip with the S6 sample. I'd never posted that here and thought people might be interested in to hearing it.

The CP5 S6 has never been a favorite of mine live but here, recorded, it sounds pretty good I think.

Anyway this is an attempt ( wink ) at a up-tempo Salsa version of the great Kenny Barron tune "Voyage" with the CP-5 drum track.

Yamaha CP-5 "S6 Grand"
http://www.divshare.com/download/12851076-a66

2005 NY Steinway D

#1816667 - 01/01/12 08:02 PM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Dave Ferris]
PianoZac Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Sounds good Dave. Nice playing. I've been off the forum for months so am a little behind what's going on, but when and why did you decide to get the NP88? I noticed it's become quite the popular board here lately.

#1816770 - 01/01/12 11:30 PM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Dave Ferris]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: So. California
Good stuff Dave. That S6 though doesn't sound like a real S6. Maybe the S6 I'm used to playing is always made to sound less bright. But this is brighter and lacking the body in comparison. Kind of like the Bright Grand S4 in the Nord. Really brighter than expected. And I'm fond of S pianos.

Since you had an S6 yourself, maybe yours turned bright too. The S6 I'm used to (and you know which one), does get special treatment and new hammers frequently. Maybe that's why it never gets bright.

Also like Zachary, I really lost track of when you shifted back in favor of the Nord. I only remember reading this thread.

#1816948 - 01/02/12 09:47 AM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Dave Ferris]
CyberGene Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Sofia, Bulgaria
Wow, the Nord Piano sounds marvellous in all the recordings. I have somehow missed this thread. I've just listened to all the samples and I must admit I am amazed at how realistic the NP sounds. I would have easily mistaken it for a real acoustic piano. Maybe part of that impression comes from the Dave's top-notch playing! It's such a pleasure to listen to you, Dave smile

Seems I'll have to give the NP a try although I am afraid nobody offers NP in Bulgaria except for online ordering frown

#1832509 - 01/26/12 06:52 PM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: CyberGene]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Here's the second tune from that LAMA (LA Music Academy) session with the Nord Piano.
Again this is for the composition/arranging students at the school. They write out the arrangement and we play it. This was a first take and we had no scratch vocal to play off of.. cry . The vocalist here is one of the students who obviously overdubbed his vocal later...

I received the file in its entirety like this. If you want to skip the vocal-the comping and Trumpet solo start at 2:00. The Piano solo comes in around 3:05..

This is the XL Yamaha Bright Grand:

http://www.divshare.com/download/16656388-108

2005 NY Steinway D

#1832529 - 01/26/12 07:45 PM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Dave Ferris]
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta GA USA
Dave, the playing is wonderful, as always...

if the CP5 were as light as the NP88, would you bother with the Nord? I have always preferred the sound of the cp5 on your recordings- which really surprised me. My impression is you like the Nord for its outstanding portability more than anything?

Steinway M; Roland V-Piano; Yamaha P250; Roland FP 5
Ivory II Grands, Italian, American D; Galaxy Vintage D; Alicia's Keys; Garritan Steinway; Galaxy Pianos; The Grand 3

#1832560 - 01/26/12 08:44 PM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Dave Ferris]
PianoZac Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Sounds outstanding Dave. The Bright Grand is quickly becoming my favorite piano. It sounds really nice in this mix, very organic. Thanks for sharing. BTW, how does it sound live to your ears compared to the NP88?

#1832603 - 01/26/12 10:24 PM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: PianoZac]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks guys, really appreciated.

Originally Posted By: bfb
if the CP5 were as light as the NP88, would you bother with the Nord? I have always preferred the sound of the cp5 on your recordings- which really surprised me. My impression is you like the Nord for its outstanding portability more than anything?

You know at first the portability was the main issue in me getting the NP again. But after using it on probably close to 20 gigs now, in a way I prefer the sound to the CP5 live. It cuts through better. In the registers above High C it doesn't sound as realistic as the CP5 but in the middle, low and middle high it sounds good. The action still isn't very inspiring to play on. I try not to let it be an issue when I play but I'm definitely more fluent on the CP5 without a doubt. On the other hand, what I'm losing action wise, I'm gaining in sonics. Sometimes the CP5 as great as it sounds solo or recorded loses something live..it seems almost too mellow for certain situations.

The new Bright Grand and Bosie sample along with the long release feature made a night and day in difference in my feeling better about the Nord pianos.

If I had a big concert, with a really great sound system and there wasn't an acoustic available (for some strange reason), I'd probably still opt for the Yamaha just from an expressive and overall playability standpoint. But since most of the stuff I'm doing requires me schlepping the keyboard myself, the Nord is getting the call most often these days.

Basically there are trade offs with both, neither are in the same universe as a piano. They're both very good, imo the best things out there at this point in time-different colors for sure. In the end you just try and do your best, even though it's not a real piano, and just focus on the music and try to not let the *gear* get too much in the way...

Originally Posted By: ZacharyForbes
BTW, how does it sound live to your ears compared to the NP88?

Hey Zach, I'm assuming you meant CP5...but see the above..

2005 NY Steinway D

#1832829 - 01/27/12 09:22 AM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Dave Ferris]
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta GA USA

In the end you just try and do your best, even though it's not a real piano, and just focus on the music and try to not let the *gear* get too much in the way.....

man, that really is the stone-cold truth. sometimes when i read these threads, i can't help but hear Dusty Springfield singing "Wishin' and Hopin"... the theme of this forum!!!

Steinway M; Roland V-Piano; Yamaha P250; Roland FP 5
Ivory II Grands, Italian, American D; Galaxy Vintage D; Alicia's Keys; Garritan Steinway; Galaxy Pianos; The Grand 3

#1833654 - 01/28/12 02:02 PM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Dave Ferris]
fanord Offline

Sounds excellent! What settings (eq etc.) did you use for this recording? I don't know why but it sounds better in your recording than when I play the Bright Grand. Maybe you're just a lot better player than I am smile

#1833717 - 01/28/12 03:49 PM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: fanord]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks - no eq or effects (from the keyboard) were used. Just the standard BG sample as it was loaded in.

2005 NY Steinway D

#1833934 - 01/28/12 11:46 PM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Dave Ferris]
robbinson Offline

Loc: Westchester, NY
nice!

#1834582 - 01/29/12 10:41 PM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Dave Ferris]
James Pun Offline

Thanks Dave! Excellent playing and demos, and they help us get a better idea of the DP sounds and make better purchase decisions!

#1892617 - 05/06/12 11:57 PM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: robbinson]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I couldn't let the the chance to record the 2 DPs with this great preamp I'm trying out, the Forssell SM2, pass by before I return it tomorrow. So since the newer Nord Bosie sample came out since the last time I did this, I thought I'd include that. I tried to match the levels, it's close but not perfect.

So it's DPs > Radial Duplex DI > Forssell SM2 (prototype) > Tascam DV-RA1000HD (Audio Upgrades modded A/D & D/A)

The great Louis Bonfa tune "Gentle Rain" :

Yamaha CP5 (CF Grand)
http://www.divshare.com/download/17580870-0f4

Nord Piano XL Bosendorfer
http://www.divshare.com/download/17580902-268

2005 NY Steinway D

#1892618 - 05/07/12 12:01 AM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Dave Ferris]
9000 Post Club Member

Dave, pardon my ignorance (I've yet to listen to your recordings), however I'm just curious as to how the sound is improved by using the additional hardware, as opposed to recording directly into the Tascam.

Cheers,
James
x

#1892620 - 05/07/12 12:07 AM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Dave Ferris]
PianoZac Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Sounds great Dave. Thanks for sharing. I think the Nord sounds better while comping and the Yamaha sounds a little more even and refined. I think then Yamaha sounds better throughout the upper registers. Both sound good though.

#1892638 - 05/07/12 12:52 AM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Dave Ferris]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

The great Louis Bonfa tune "Gentle Rain" :

Yamaha CP5 (CF Grand)
http://www.divshare.com/download/17580870-0f4

Nord Piano XL Bosendorfer
http://www.divshare.com/download/17580902-268

Dave,

The "Gentle Rain" tune happens to be one of my favorites, and, you play both renditions very well.

I'll have to find my copy of the sheet music (arranged by George Shearing), to try it.

Nice job!

pv88

#1899757 - 05/19/12 12:57 PM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Kawai James]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Kawai James
Dave, pardon my ignorance (I've yet to listen to your recordings), however I'm just curious as to how the sound is improved by using the additional hardware, as opposed to recording directly into the Tascam.

Cheers,
James
x

Hey James. I can't tell you in technical terms what it does. But just listening, the higher end preamp gives the sound more fullness, realism and detail for a start. You can't record directly into a hard disk recorder (or any source) unless the recorder already has some internal preamps, in which case, the Tascam doesn't. For recording I've always been using the pres from my Soundcraft Delta mixer. These have been hot-rodded by Jim Williams at Audio Upgrades and are very good. As nice as they sound, they have their sonic limitations and are no match for a stand alone dedicated preamp. I think if you A/B my earlier Nord/CP5 recordings with these latest ones there's a pretty obvious difference.

The Radial Duplex Stereo Di is simply a way to interface with the preamp, to change the impedance from line level to mic. In the process of going into the pres, the Radial further helps in smoothing out the sound without coloring it, in addition to adding more punch both live and on the recording.. Hope that helps.

In the meantime, in my continuing search for something for the Steinway and also that can pull double duty, live, with the DP, I have yet another preamp over here to mess around with. This time the John Hardy Twin Servo.

Some more Gentle Rain, this time with the Nord XL Yamaha Bright Grand
http://www.divshare.com/download/17800621-d32

The XL Bosie again.
http://www.divshare.com/download/17800641-594

It was late over here last night after a gig, so my ears were a bit tired (plus I'm really gentle rained out cry ) but I'm hearing a tad more color withe Hardy then the Forssell. Which is normal. The Hardy has the Jenson 990 transformers and the Forssell is transformer-less.

Sad to say, no more CP5 recordings.... frown However when I finally make up my mind, I'm going to have one heck of a preamp from the sale of the CP5..

I'm going to make some recordings tomorrow on the Steinway with the Hardy...

2005 NY Steinway D

#1899787 - 05/19/12 01:38 PM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Dave Ferris]
9000 Post Club Member

Thanks for the explanation Dave!

So is it not possible to record a piece direct from the Nord, and then re-record it using the additional hardware?

James
x

#1899864 - 05/19/12 04:28 PM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Kawai James]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Sorry but you lost me there. "Re-record it" -are you talking about a midi file or going into the computer usb ?

2005 NY Steinway D

#1899869 - 05/19/12 04:42 PM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Dave Ferris]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I think James meant record it twice - once with and once without the additional processing.

#1899874 - 05/19/12 04:53 PM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: voxpops]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Ah I see. I'm kinda in the practice/ recording the acoustic mode right now but later on if I switch gears and get back into the dp mindset, I'll try and do a short rendition of Gentle Rain just going into the hd recorder with my inexpensive A&H ZED 10 mixer. Again though for comparison, you can A/B this, which was posted earlier on in the thread, with the recent GR recordings of the Forssell & Hardy..

Soundcraft Delta board pres, no di, older Nord Yamaha Studio Grand sample.
So the chain is: DP > Soundcraft console > HD recorder
http://www.divshare.com/download/12844997-d39

Edited by Dave Ferris (05/19/12 04:58 PM)
Edit Reason: clarity

2005 NY Steinway D

#1899904 - 05/19/12 05:53 PM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Dave Ferris]
PianoZac Offline
1000 Post Club Member

The Nord records really well. The string and sympathetic resonance modeling really adds a lot to the sound, escpecially evident in recordings like this. Thanks for sharing Dave.

#1900001 - 05/19/12 10:07 PM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Dave Ferris]
9000 Post Club Member

Thanks Dave!

By the way, is there a reason you cannot go DP > HD recorder?
I believe this would give the most transparent recording (e.g. direct from the Nord) and allow the improvements provided by the additional hardware to be judged somewhat objectively.

And yes, by re-recording, I mean playing the exact same piece twice, keeping the sound selection and instrument setup exactly the same, but just changing the output configuration (direct from the Nord vs improved by the DI etc.)

While I seldom use my Nord for acoustic piano sounds, I wonder if the hardware you're using would have a similar 'de-digitalising' effect on the EP and organ sounds.

Cheers,
James
x

#1900041 - 05/19/12 11:42 PM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Kawai James]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

By the way, is there a reason you cannot go DP > HD recorder?

James like I mentioned a few posts back:

"You can't record directly into a hard disk recorder (or any source) unless the recorder already has some internal preamps, in which case, the Tascam doesn't."

While I seldom use my Nord for acoustic piano sounds, I wonder if the hardware you're using would have a similar 'de-digitalising' effect on the EP and organ sounds.

Most defintley. I don't do organ but I would think it would fatten it up. On Nord Rhodes, and Wurli (as well as the CP5) , the Radial Di, even just going into my A&H mixer, smoothes out those high notes that can jump out and be overly piercing. It fattens up the middle, makes things thicker and more punchy. Add a good pre to the mix and things get a lot better-more detail, open high end, hi-fi sound and more headroom. Basically just a more musical and euphonic sound...if you like that kinda thing... grin Actually some guys don't. That's why they run stuff through Roland JC120s and twin Reverbs.

Not sure when I can get to more dp recordings but I will when I get a chance.

2005 NY Steinway D

#1900050 - 05/20/12 12:24 AM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Dave Ferris]
anotherscott Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

James like I mentioned a few posts back:

"You can't record directly into a hard disk recorder (or any source) unless the recorder already has some internal preamps, in which case, the Tascam doesn't."

You should be able to plug the Nord into anything that has a line input. The Tascam must have line inputs, or else you'd have nothing to plug your preamp into. Now, a microphone may need a preamp, if the Tascam has no mic input, but I have a hard time envisioning why a line source would need a preamp. So I'm afraid there's still something I'm not getting here. (And BTW, the Tascam isn't the source in this scenario, the Nord is. ;-) )

#1900073 - 05/20/12 01:49 AM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: anotherscott]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I've tried going straight into the Tascam before. The Dp doesn't put out enough gain to get anything but the weakest signal, barely audible.

I knocked this off real quick going straight in
http://www.divshare.com/download/17810192-c8c

That was with the NP volume at max and the input record level on the Tascam at +5 db..I usually record at the default setting of 0.0 db.

The CP5 had even less of a hot output then the Nord. On the CP5 I could get more output using the XLR balanced outs, maybe a tad more then the Nord .

And yes the DP is the source, I guess I was referring to the recording source, my mistake there.

Edited by Dave Ferris (05/20/12 02:39 AM)
Edit Reason: added thought

2005 NY Steinway D

#1900076 - 05/20/12 02:24 AM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Dave Ferris]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I've just tried the PC3X and it wasn't my thing. The "triple strike piano" on its own that they still use doesn't bother me that much, it's more the Kurz's Fatar action with the finger/sound connection of their sample...it feels and sounds dull and lifeless to me.

Dave,

I owned a Kurzweil Mark Pro 3i for a short while (last year) and found that while the "triple strike" piano sounds are pretty good, the Fatar action was not. It had an almost sluggish response (repetition wise) and I just didn't like the mushy feeling at the bottom of the key strokes. Sold it later for extra cash, and used it towards the purchase of the V-Piano.

#1900080 - 05/20/12 02:45 AM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: pv88]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Good for you PV, selling anything in this economy is not easy, especially an expensive home dp model. You seem to be happy with the Roland, that seems like a better fit for you.

Even though Nord uses the dreaded Fatar action, I think the fact that their pianos are more detailed then the Kurzweils, helps the overall playing experience.

I don't wanna think about it--I'm already missing my CP5... cry .

2005 NY Steinway D

#1900482 - 05/20/12 10:02 PM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Dave Ferris]
anotherscott Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Even though Nord uses the dreaded Fatar action, I think the fact that their pianos are more detailed then the Kurzweils, helps the overall playing experience.

I'm pretty sure Nord also uses a different Fatar action than Kurzweil does.

#1900538 - 05/21/12 12:32 AM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Dave Ferris]
madAhorn Offline

The CP5 demo sounded better to me than the DP88. And as far as cutting through the mix, that is what EQ, Hammer type, Velocity Curve, Compression, etc is all there to help with.

The DP88 demo sounded a bit plastic. And this is knowing the limitations of the CP5 samples...With very little extra work, the samples could have been improved...frustrating to me since I have done a some sampling of my own...

But, I own the CP5 so I am afraid of something else hurting my "investment feelings", therefore biased...

Thanks for letting me be blunt.

My SKB gig bag has made this heavy beast not bad to move as well.
I got it B stock for $100.00. Only the cadboard box was beat up, the bag is perfect!

I love the EP's, Organs and other sounds as much or more than the piano sounds on the CP5.

Of course, I am also too cheap to invest in a Nord at this point, getting my CP5 for $1900.00.

OK...enjoy the Nord!

#1900540 - 05/21/12 12:34 AM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Dave Ferris]
PianoZac Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Yeah plus Nord apparently checks each individual key to their own standards to check for evenness and consistency.

#1940628 - 08/10/12 11:22 PM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: PianoZac]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

A little backing track I did for a singer this morning with the NP2 Bosie XL. This was a first take so didn't spend much time with it.

It was the first time I'd used my new JMK Audio di/preamp on a recording. Pretty happy with the sound.

Again just a backing track for vocal, nothing at all fancy. Just twice through on "The Nearness of You"- in the not so friendly user key D no less. wink

http://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris/nearness-of-you-1/s-7wNh6

Edited by Dave Ferris (08/11/12 02:22 AM)
Edit Reason: different link

2005 NY Steinway D

#1941290 - 08/12/12 09:38 AM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Dave Ferris]
moleskincrusher Offline

Thank you. Most enjoyable.

Sound of DP, esp telltale treble, excellent and shows how foolish it is to draw conclusions based on YouTube audio. Very tasty ideas; touch and chord choices superb. The slow swing is a welcome change from the dreary overslow ballad treatment the song usually gets.

Did you play in key of D or use the DP's transpose feature (which I confess I'm often guilty of)? Do you ever, as I do, play such tunes using left hand "swing bass" (10ths on 1 and 3)?

#1941387 - 08/12/12 12:42 PM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: moleskincrusher]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks Moleskincrusher. No, can honestly say I've never used a transpose button in my life. I'm such a space cadet that I'd probably forget to set it back after the song. grin

This wasn't too big a deal since it was just backing comping. If I had to play it solo with the melody in D , I'd definitely write it out.

I do occasionally walk the bass with singers and solo piano. Usually after a couple of choruses . I do play tenths on 1& 3 too. To me that's more of a stride thing. I hint at it here in a few places on the IV chord.

Yeah the Nord always sounds good recorded. Very happy with the new preamp. It was expensive but really makes a big difference here and live as well.

2005 NY Steinway D

#1941441 - 08/12/12 02:12 PM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Dave Ferris]
RonL Offline

Very nice job Dave.

I will be the first to confess...

Hello my name is Ron and I use transpose buttons.

I try not to but I am in a jazz group with a female vocalist and all the keys are strange. I usually use Band in a Box to create charts (for the bass and sax) but sometimes I get lazy - for example we do Blackbird and I learned it in the Beatles key (G)and don't feel like relearning it in F.

And yes I have started songs at gigs with transpose still on and gotten dirty looks from band members.

So I know I should stop but I can't help myself...

#1941639 - 08/12/12 08:53 PM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: RonL]
10fingers Offline

Loc: CA
Originally Posted By: RonL
So I know I should stop but I can't help myself...

A familiar refrain?

#1941661 - 08/12/12 09:33 PM Re: Jazz piano examples on the Nord Piano & Yamaha CP-5 [Re: Dave Ferris]
emenelton Online   content
500 Post Club Member

I have been reading this thread and hope no one minds me adding to it. I owned the Nord Stage and remember that the outputs are +2db as opposed to +4db and unbalanced. That would make the levels low on the Tascam. One good trick in to change the Tascam's input to -10db instead of +4db(if you can). That will make your input levels jump by quite a bit.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Odd sound effect on old upright
by 661-Pete
12/20/14 06:38 AM
Define "atmospheric" in piano music
by Pianolism
12/20/14 06:18 AM
1 Hour 2-5-1 Jazz Workout Backing Track - Slow to Fast Swing
by Nahum
12/20/14 05:36 AM
Jools Holland wow
by Shey
12/20/14 05:23 AM
How to determine felt thickness without specifications?
by JoeThePro
12/20/14 01:09 AM
Forum Stats
77369 Members
42 Forums
160009 Topics
2349771 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission