2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (Erinmarriott, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, 4 invisible), 1,277 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Bech #1530724 10/08/10 04:26 AM
F
F
Let me say that she has a very healthy... chest

YEAAAAHHHHH

/thread

MarkH #1530769 10/08/10 07:40 AM
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Originally Posted by MarkH
Originally Posted by beet31425

As long as she doesn't cross over into the realm of abomination; for me, that wasteland is represented not by the pianist you referred to (who I actually like), but instead the likes of Maksim Mrvica (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSkh5dgn69U).

-Jason

Agreed completely concerning Maksim! sick

oh god ...that was terrible

Bech #1530777 10/08/10 07:48 AM
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Well i wonder what were you thinking when you said you can't find a miore exciting pianist.

MarkH #1530780 10/08/10 07:54 AM
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Originally Posted by MarkH
Originally Posted by jlynne
Wow. Just wow.

How do you pronounce his name? GAVRYLYUK

I need to remember that one. Command of the instrument indeed.

Indeed! Where did he come from and why can I only find 2 of his CDs at Arkivmusic? Must hear more...

Markh and jlynne, and all,

More about Alexander here:
http://www.bach-cantatas.com/Bio/Gavrylyuk-Alexander.htm

Your favorite search engine will provide you with more - enjoy!

I ordered CDs of his via Barnes and Noble. It took a week for them to arrive.

Total command of the instrument, indeed. His work is simply jaw-dropping good, a virtuoso by definition.

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member
Bech #1531222 10/08/10 07:00 PM
H
H
There definitely more exciting pianist like Claire (even though she seems to be bit inconsistent)- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HKO9CZkJLA I like Lola but I she's definitely not the best in the world which you seem to think.

Bech #1531289 10/08/10 09:34 PM
A
A
I like the idea of Maksim.
But the execution on the other hand...

He is EXTREMELY popular in Asia and opened up the classical music world to a whole new generation, so I can admire him for that.

And he is actually a technically good player. He must have worked hard I'm sure.

His Hungarian Rhapsody isn't without it's charm, and his performach of the Flight of the Bumblebee is very sweet I think.

I just can't help thinking...

you've butchered that piece with all the added crap.

And I'm more than sure he's in the same boat as Miss Astanova...
The pretty face is only going to help him sell.

B
B
Originally Posted by beet31425
[quote=MarkH]

As long as she doesn't cross over into the realm of abomination; for me, that wasteland is represented not by the pianist you referred to (who I actually like), but instead the likes of Maksim Mrvica (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSkh5dgn69U).

Dear lord. I couldn't even watch the whole thing.

Bech #1531324 10/08/10 10:43 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hm...Maksim Mrvica is pretty cute. I'd prefer someone like him to be the teen idol of the day rather than Justin Bieber. Plus his rebellious score-changing persona is attractive in a way...I guess stores has lost all respect for me now. laugh I wonder what sort of performer Liszt would be if he lived in present day? It would be funny if he decided to be a rock star or someone like Maksim.

Bech #1531330 10/08/10 10:53 PM
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Richard Clayderman? LOL

Working On-

Deux Arabesques, Debussy

On Queue-

Danse Russe from Petroushka, Stravinsky
Toccata, Ravel

Bech #1531332 10/08/10 10:54 PM
B
Bech Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
B
Alexei Sultanov was a good friend of Lola's. He won 1st place at the Van Cliburn competition and took second place in the Chopin competition a few years later. He refused the 2nd place award.

Sadly, he died when only 35 years of age. He is outstanding. You might want to give him a look on YouTube.

Bech

Last edited by Bech; 10/08/10 11:04 PM.

Music. One of man's greatest inventions. And...for me, the piano expresses it best.
Bech #1531446 10/09/10 03:45 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Anymore pictures of Lola Astanova? Does she give private concerts?

Currently working on: Perfecting the Op 2/1, studying the 27/2 last movement. Chopin Nocturne 32/2 and Posth. C#m, 'Raindrop' prelude and Etude 10/9
Repetoire: Beethoven op 2/1, 10/1(1st, 2nd), 13, 14/1, 27/1(1st, 2nd), 27/2, 28(1st, 2nd), 31/2(1st, 3rd), 49/1, 49/2, 78(1st), 79, 90, 101(1st)
Bech #1531461 10/09/10 04:31 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Bech
Alexei Sultanov was a good friend of Lola's.

What's your point?

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

Bech #1531478 10/09/10 05:04 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Sultanov: what awful tragedy in such a short lifespan..
Not sure which is worse: the strokes that paralyzed and eventually killed him or the self mutilation events of his earlier years.. I wonder if anyone has written a good biography of him. He also won both the Van Cliburn and the Chopin* competitions. I don't know if this story is true but he supposedly punched the wall during the Tchaikovsky competition, shattering his 5th finger and had to withdraw. He told his parents and teachers that the fallboard fell on his hand to avoid their wrath and disappointment..
He was an immense talent.

* He actually shared 2nd place with Giusiano. They did not give a first prize that year (1995). Gabriela Montero was 3rd.

Last edited by Andromaque; 10/09/10 05:12 AM.
Bech #1532283 10/10/10 11:53 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I find her technique incredible awkward and tense. How dare she not develop tendinitis instead of me! :P hehe

Bech #1532776 10/11/10 02:23 AM
I cannot believe all the criticism I read here. I wouldn't ever compare her to Lang langs of the world because everything she does is honest and genuine, the same way Gould did it. I listened to some of her audio recordings (better sound quality) after I read some of the comments on this thread and found her Chopin sonata far superior to that of say Argerich and on par with Horowitz. It is very judgmental to downplay her tremendous abilities and talent because of her physical beauty. Yes, classical music scene has had attractive women performers like Argerich, Grimaud, Lisitsa etc. and those are some fine ladies. But lets face it there hasn't ever been a female performer who was so unapologetically striking, whose look was so uncomfortably sexy that it was hard to concentrated on the music . So a lot of people are confused, and choose to calm themselves by saying that she's got the beauty while others got the talent. Well, I listen to a lot of music and am sorry to say that this argument is becoming somewhat weak in my eyes and ears. Her playing is intellectual and coherent and she is a natural, instinctive interpreter who happens to have great technique on top of that. My conclusion: people are simply a bit jealous, thrown off by the whole "situation".

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Guldesque
I cannot believe all the criticism I read here. I wouldn't ever compare her to Lang langs of the world because everything she does is honest and genuine, the same way Gould did it. I listened to some of her audio recordings (better sound quality) after I read some of the comments on this thread and found her Chopin sonata far superior to that of say Argerich and on par with Horowitz. It is very judgmental to downplay her tremendous abilities and talent because of her physical beauty. Yes, classical music scene has had attractive women performers like Argerich, Grimaud, Lisitsa etc. and those are some fine ladies. But lets face it there hasn't ever been a female performer who was so unapologetically striking, whose look was so uncomfortably sexy that it was hard to concentrated on the music . So a lot of people are confused, and choose to calm themselves by saying that she's got the beauty while others got the talent. Well, I listen to a lot of music and am sorry to say that this argument is becoming somewhat weak in my eyes and ears. Her playing is intellectual and coherent and she is a natural, instinctive interpreter who happens to have great technique on top of that. My conclusion: people are simply a bit jealous, thrown off by the whole "situation".

I've said it before and I'll say it again...thank you for the heads up...you are now officially on the not to be taken seriously list. To assume that I cannot concentrate on the music, because some bimbo with too much makeup is sitting at the piano is quite simply ludicrous. To level her playing with that of Horowitz and Argerich is entirely laughable (oh wait you said it was superior to Argerich...) and unfortunately (for you) casts you in the role of forum jester/fool. I'm always amused by those who shout "jealousy!" when they read any sort of critique. Jealous of what? Of Lola? Ummm, no. If my opinion is that she sucks, then I'm CERTAINLY not jealous of her suckiness and don't wish to attain such. At any rate...carry on...

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

Bech #1532860 10/11/10 05:23 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Thats a good point stores. Why would anyone be jealous of someone they believe to suck? Doesn't really make sense.

Bech #1532870 10/11/10 06:05 AM
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Better than Argerich ... go buy some new ears

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

The ultimate test of one's playing is whether it stands up to a listening test without video, where one is neither impressed nor distressed by the player's looks or mannerisms. Also, it is important that the performance be real and unedited. I've tried this with a number of instrumentalists, including the so-called Golden Age players (many of whom were never documented on film), to the current crop of youngsters.

So, I can confidently say that my dislike of Lang Lang's playing has nothing to do with the Betty Boop faces he makes, and my sense of repulsion at Ms. Astanova's playing is not related to her looks or her incredibly bizarre approach to the keyboard. Rather, in Ms. Astanova's case, it is related to her awkward phrasing, harsh tone, and lack of line.

Hank Drake

Admin: https://www.facebook.com/groups/VladimirHorowitzPianist

The composers want performers be imaginative, in the direction of their thinking--not just robots, who execute orders.
George Szell
Bech #1533025 10/11/10 10:58 AM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
"

Jealous of what, her arrogance? Her incredible vanity? Her awkward way of playing? Right.. open up your ears, it all comes through in her playing even if you aren't looking. I couldn't stand looking at her so I started listening with the picture blocked, and still hated it.

I'm so tired of the jealous argument, it's so f.ing stupid. Do you know who I'm jealous of? Richter, Uchida and Gergiev. People who are actually incredible, humble and make me enjoy listening to their music. Get real.

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission