2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (Cheeeeee, Carey, Dalem01, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 9 invisible), 2,030 guests, and 337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
<font size="+1">See How Piano World Ranks Compared to Other Piano Sites</font>
Additional stats later in this thread show how we rank for specific piano-related keywords and phrases

As some of you know, my day job is Internet Marketing, Ecommerce, and SEO (Search Engine Optimization).
SEO Experts To Go -- The Ecommerce Guru

I sometimes use a service called Quantcast www.quantcast.com to get demographics on web sites.

Quantcast visits billions of web pages, and currently has rankings available on over 20 million sites. Please note that Quantcast states that these are estimates based on data they have collected, and that they can get much more accurate if the site owner places Quantcast code on their site (as we have done).

So, I decided to do a little comparison of how Piano Manufacturers sites rank versus Piano World. Note that the LOWER the ranking number the better. For example, Piano World's current ranking is 8,249... which means we rank ahead of 20,079,870 of the total 20,088,119 sites they rank.

I've also included Quantcast's estimates of monthly unique visitors.
(for more info, see their FAQ )

(The listing is in no particular order, it's just how I looked them up as the brands came to mind.)

Because much of the support for Piano World comes from advertising, I'm hoping to someday convince the manufacturers to advertise with us.

Also see WHO VISITS PIANO WORLD??
<table border="1" bordercolor="#000000" width="550" cellpadding="2"><tr><td valign="top">Site</td><td valign="top">Rank on Quantcast</td><td valign="top">
</td>
<td valign="top">Monthly Unique Visitors</td><td valign="top">
</td><td valign="top">Piano World Ranks
This Much Ahead
of These Sites
</td></tr><tr>
<td valign="top">PianoWorld.com

masonhamlin.com

steinway.com

kawaius.com

samickusa.com

youngchang.com

baldwinpiano.com

bluthnerpiano.com

bosendorfer.com

estoniapiano.com

pianodisc.com

pealriverusa.com

ptg.org

qrsmusic.com

geneva-intl.com

bohemiapiano.cz

seiler-pianos.de

fazioli.com

petrof.cz

steigerman.com

NAMM.org
</td>
<td valign="top" align="right">8,249

</td>
<td valign="top">
</td>
<td valign="top" align="right">300,000+

Under 1000

Under 10,000

Under 10,000

Under 1000

About 1000

Under 1000

Under 1000

Under 1000

Under 1000

About 2000

Under 1000

Under 10,000

Under 10,000

Under 1000

Under 1000

Under 1000

Under 1000

Under 1000

Under 1000

Under 10,000
</td>
<td valign="top">
</td>
<td valign="top" align="right">

</td>
</tr></table>

Based on these numbers, Piano World gets more unique visitors per month than all 20 other sites combined.

Some more semi-interesting data...
Our Google Rankings
<table cellpadding="2" border="1"><tr><td valign="top" colspan="3">Piano World's current rankings in Google for the following search terms:</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" align="center">Search Term</td> <td valign="top" align="center"> Our Google Ranking Position</td><td valign="top" align="center">Out of # sites returned</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Piano </td><td valign="top" align="right">1</td><td valign="top" align="right">183,000,000</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Piano Dealers</td><td valign="top" align="right"> 1</td><td valign="top" align="right">1,310,000</td></tr><tr>
</td><td valign="top">Piano Tuners</td><td valign="top" align="right"> 2 & 3</td><td valign="top" align="right">2,420,000</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Piano Movers</td><td valign="top" align="right">2</td><td valign="top" align="right">1,120,000</td></tr><tr>
</td><td valign="top">Piano Manufacturers </td><td valign="top" align="right">1</td><td valign="top" align="right">1,420,000</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Piano Forums</td><td valign="top" align="right">1 & 2</td><td valign="top" align="right">3,700,000</td></tr></table>
Of course, none of this means much in the grand scheme of things, unless you're trying to convince someone there's value in advertising on your site :-)
But it's still interesting, and a bit of an ego boost for me.

See Additional Ranking Results Further Down in This Thread

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Interesting data, Frank! I think what grabbed my attention the most was the difference is monthly unique visitors. Clearly, there are a lot of people interested in pianos if you get 300,000 new folks coming to your site a month. But they're not looking at the manufacturers' websites, and I wonder why. Do they get all their questions answered here so don't bother? Do they take one look at the AB forum and decide to take up a more dignified instrument? laugh Just seems very curious to me.

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
It would seem as though they'd be best served to advertise on the site, AND hire him as an SEO consultant. Unless they don't think they can afford the extra bandwidth they'll need. :p

Rich Lindahl
Piano Restorations in Central CT
www.rivervalleypiano.com
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by CTPianotech:
It would seem as though they'd be best served to advertise on the site, AND hire him as an SEO consultant. Unless they don't think they can afford the extra bandwidth they'll need. :p
laugh I like youre thinking CTPianotech

You'd be amazed how many major players (not just in the piano business) don't know how to take advantage of the Internet.

Often times they employ huge advertising agencies who are experts at marketing/advertising offline, but haven't built the expertise for online yet.

I've spent 10 years learning how to market on the Internet, and I'm still learning.

- Frank B.
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Monica Kern:
Interesting data, Frank! I think what grabbed my attention the most was the difference is monthly unique visitors. Clearly, there are a lot of people interested in pianos if you get 300,000 new folks coming to your site a month. But they're not looking at the manufacturers' websites, and I wonder why. Do they get all their questions answered here so don't bother? Do they take one look at the AB forum and decide to take up a more dignified instrument? laugh Just seems very curious to me.
Thanks Monica,

Exactly what I'm trying to explain to the manufacturers. We get some serious traffic, and it's all people interested in pianos and/or music.

And they don't just hit and run.
We average 3-4 MILLION page views a month.
That tells me people arrive at Piano World and spend some time looking.

Update 01/02/08 We are now averaging closer to 5 million page views a month (or over 166,000 page views a day)

Our average time on site (the time an individual spends looking at PW) is much higher than the industry averages.
Either we're doing something right and people are enjoying their visit, or we're doing something wrong and they're lost :-)

I think it's the former rather than the latter.
People not finding what they want just leave and go to the next site in their search results.

Plus, I can't tell you how many times I see posts from people thanking us for the help the forums gave them in their piano search.

It's funny, because I read articles in the trade magazines downplaying the Internet as a source for people looking for information about buying a piano. They obviously don't hang out around here :-)

- Frank B.
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Monica Kern:
Do they take one look at the AB forum and decide to take up a more dignified instrument?
Monica, are you referring to '1' thread in particular? LOL!

Frank, for sure you are doing something right!

"WE KNOW"!!!

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A lot of what I do involves representing clients whose business is Internet marketing. You're right, Frank -- it is amazing how many otherwise solid businesses are just way behind in terms of understanding, and taking advantage of, the Internet. And it's really so easy to do these days. There are many, many young people out there, ready to take a job, at a very reasonable salary, helping companies move forward. I've seen it time and again, and it generally pays off in spades when they take the steps forward.

Search is definitely where it's at. A lot of these folks could benefit from some good website design, too. And some could reap huge rewards from affiliate marketing. The longer they wait, the harder it will be to catch up....

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Frank, very interesting numbers. Does quantcast measure hits to any portion of the PW website or just the main page as the initial hit?

"The creative mind plays with the object it loves." -- Carl Jung

http://www.sauter-pianos.com
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by ejsauter:
Frank, very interesting numbers. Does quantcast measure hits to any portion of the PW website or just the main page as the initial hit?
They are measuring "page views" as opposed to "hits". Two different animals.

A page view is counted when all the contents of a page loads. Hits count each item of a page as it loads (ex: each graphic would count as a "hit" to the server).

Page views are a more accurate representation of traffic (as are "unique" visitors as opposed to repeat visitors).

For example, our page views generally run between 3 and 4 million a month (as you can see from the forums stats, the forums alone account for over a million page views a month).

But our "hits" usually run in the 12-15 million a month range.

To answer your question :-)
They are counting page views for most, but not all of Piano World. I haven't had time to add the code to every section.

By the way, for those few of you who might care about getting more technical. There are ways of programming pages so only certain segments of the page get replaced with new content (ajax, css, and some asp applications).

This is done to make the pages load faster, because the server only has to pass what's different, but... it also means the newly loaded content doesn't count as a "page view".

If you use this technology, how do you tell if your site is doing better?
Unique visitor counts, time spent on the site, conversions rates (how many people take the action you wanted ... sign up, click something, buy something). You can also keep an eye on your referer logs. These show where your traffic is coming from, and how much.

- Frank B.
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
LOL! You are good at your day job, sir! (Not to mention this is one of the best sites on the Internet...)

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
A whole hearted agreement with J.Mark here.
Piano World is one of the best sites on the Internet!

Mike

WHAT???????
Yamaha S6, U5C, P120
http://michaelstith.com
G
G
Hi Frank,

Where does Yamaha fit into this rank?

We proudly represent: Yamaha pianos (including: Clavinova, AvantGrand, SilentPiano, Enspire, P/DGX-Digitals, Arius), Bösendorfer, Schimmel
Kayserburg, Ritmüller, Pearl River pianos. Retrofit Interactive Silent Systems by: adsilent and Kioshi
http://www.GrandPianoHaus.com
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Grand Piano Haus:
Hi Frank,

Where does Yamaha fit into this rank?
I couldn't find just a piano site for Yamaha, only their corporate site that encompasses everything (motorcycles, audio equipment, band instruments, drums, brass, strings,pianos, digitals, etc.).

Their corporate site does very well, as one would expect given it's size and audience reach.

I was trying to compare apples to apples (except the listing for NAMM, which I just tossed in because we've been discussing the NAMM show).

I did see that the sub directory music.yamaha.com gets about 20,000 unique visitors a month (but sub directories aren't ranked separately).

There was no separate directory or sub directory for just pianos.

Interestingly, the steinwaymusical.com (the parent company with Steinway, Conn-Selmer, etc.) site has a rank of 1,408,017 (meaning 1,408,016 sites rank higher) and shows less than 1000 unique visitors a month. I don't believe that's accurate, but it's likely because of the gratuitous Flash they use.

Forcing people to watch/listen to Flash is considered a big no-no in Internet Marketing, and can have a negative effect on search engine rankings/listings.

Don't make me keep clicking "Skip Intro", make it my choice to play the @$%# thing if I want to.
I'm always amazed at how many otherwise brilliant marketers fall down when it comes to marketing to the Internet crowd.

I'm always battling with people who want to use stuff on their web sites just because they can, or because someone in the company thinks it's cool, instead of giving their customers what they actually want.

That's why I like to do focus groups and usability studies with end users. You'd be surprised what you can learn by asking your customers!

- Frank B.
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Frank,

I think you're comparing apples and oranges. The comparison between this forum and a manufacturer's site is invalid given that the intent of the two is so different. What would be far more interesting would be a comparison with other venues for piano discussion. There are other piano related forums, including; ...Facts, ...street. and ...chat (a Yahoo group). Of those just mentioned this forum is undoubtedly the most populated. Each of these is different and what's more important is how compatible the individual users are with our chosen venue of discussion. I do lurk the ...facts forum on occasion, but geberally choose NOT to post there, especially in their political discussion arena (they'd never admit I was right).

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Steve Chandler:
Frank,

I think you're comparing apples and oranges. The comparison between this forum and a manufacturer's site is invalid given that the intent of the two is so different. What would be far more interesting would be a comparison with other venues for piano discussion. There are other piano related forums, including; ...Facts, ...street. and ...chat (a Yahoo group). Of those just mentioned this forum is undoubtedly the most populated. Each of these is different and what's more important is how compatible the individual users are with our chosen venue of discussion. I do lurk the ...facts forum on occasion, but geberally choose NOT to post there, especially in their political discussion arena (they'd never admit I was right).
Steve,

That would be true if I was basing my computations on just our forums, but I'm not.
The numbers are based on Piano World overall (there are over 1000 pages besides these forums).

My point was, we generate a lot of traffic from people who are interested in pianos (for any number of reasons), and therefore represent an opportunity for companies/individuals in a piano/music related business.

I chose the manufacturers sites because I'm hoping some of them will consider us as a possible advertising/marketing vehicle, and because I was curious.

- Frank B.
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Originally posted by Piano World:
My point was, we generate a lot of traffic from people who are interested in pianos (for any number of reasons), and therefore represent an opportunity for companies/individuals in a piano/music related business.

I chose the manufacturers sites because I'm hoping some of them will consider us as a possible advertising/marketing vehicle, and because I was curious. [/QB]
Well in that regard I would agree completely. In fact I'm mystified by the absence of manufacturers. I understand the potential lightening rod effect, but the same would apply to dealers and they're here in great quantities. I think it would be less likely for non-US manufacturers to make the effort given that this forum is fairly USA centric. I do know Bosendorfer's USA distributor is a helpful presence. So to the folks at Mason and Hamlin and Charles Walter let me say you're conspicuous by your absence.

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Steve Chandler:
Originally posted by Piano World:

I chose the manufacturers sites because I'm hoping some of them will consider us as a possible advertising/marketing vehicle, and because I was curious.
Well in that regard I would agree completely. In fact I'm mystified by the absence of manufacturers. I understand the potential lightening rod effect, but the same would apply to dealers and they're here in great quantities. I think it would be less likely for non-US manufacturers to make the effort given that this forum is fairly USA centric. I do know Bosendorfer's USA distributor is a helpful presence. So to the folks at Mason and Hamlin and Charles Walter let me say you're conspicuous by your absence. [/QB]
:-) Thanks Steve.

I can sort of understand them not wanting to get involved in the forums (in some cases, the matter how much you try, you can't win), but outright advertising (like some of the affiliate programs in our right hand column) would make sense.

Of course for dealers, tuners, movers, etc. it makes more sense to advertise under specific categories in our Classified section.

A dealer in NY doesn't care if we come up # 1 in Google for "Piano Dealers", but they would be interested to know how we rank for "Piano Dealers NY" (#1 and 2 at the moment), or Piano Tuners CA (# 1 and 2), or Piano Movers NC (#1).

It's the aggragate of our search results rankings that gives us value to any number of piano/music industry businesses.

Heck, sometimes we just rank well because of a forums post. For example, at the moment we rank # 1 in Google for Pramberger Piano because of a forums post.

- Frank B.
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
From a users point of view... thumb thanks Frank for a Great Website. Sure hope your time at NAMM is rewarded.

On another note, I was just curious, how will I know or will I be notified when my contribution anniversary date is up...when do I need to send more $$ and not just at ANYTIME lol... laugh

Les Koltvedt
Servicing the Greater Atlanta area
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Monster M&H:
From a users point of view... thumb thanks Frank for a Great Website. Sure hope your time at NAMM is rewarded.

On another note, I was just curious, how will I know or will I be notified when my contribution anniversary date is up...when do I need to send more $$ and not just at ANYTIME lol... laugh
Thanks Monster M&H,

Unfortunately I'm not very good at renewal reminders, have the same problem with the folks advertising in our classifieds.
There just aren't enough hours in the day (I have a friend writing scripts to automate the reminder process.).

To answer your question, if you mouse over your subscriber icon, it should tell you what date it expires. (the classified ads have an expiration date in small print at bottom of their ads).

Best,

Frank B.

- Frank B.
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Expires in Feb...what timing yeah?? just your luck...lol Thanks for your effort here at PW...although you might not hear it enough, THANKS

Les
cya in May. Although I am having a little conflict with the schedule, you see, Billy Joel is coming to the Palace here on the 4th of May.

Les Koltvedt
Servicing the Greater Atlanta area
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission