Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#1531520 - 10/09/10 08:44 AM Re: Cage: 4'33 [Re: Canonie]
beet31425 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bay Area, CA
Originally Posted By: Canonie
I sometimes wonder if people are not so much offended by the silence in 4'33 as offended by the lack of skill required to perform it. It's not clever - and that can be hard for some people to swallow.

It's funny you say that specifically. At one point I really disliked Cage (all I knew about him was this piece), for the same reason I disliked artists who put up a white canvas and call it art: Not that "it's not clever", but that it's *too* clever. There's no real work behind it: instead of an honest creation forged from honest materials, we get an abstract, clever idea. Not impressed: anyone can do that.

(Anyway, that's how I used to think. Since hearing more of Cage's works, I have revised my opinion.)

-Jason

#1531608 - 10/09/10 11:21 AM Re: Cage: 4'33 [Re: wr]
hat Offline

Loc: In a heap of trouble
Originally Posted By: wr
Originally Posted By: hat
No representation of sound.

Or a representation of no sound?

Well, it's your file, so why don't you tell us, instead of playing games?

Actually, I was clarifying your definition of blank audio. It has nothing to do with my file.

#1531690 - 10/09/10 01:05 PM Re: Cage: 4'33 [Re: beet31425]
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: beet31425
.....(Anyway, that's how I used to think. Since hearing more of Cage's works, I have revised my opinion.)

Yes. smile

Including, look at what kind of discussion it leads to, such as right here.

And it's not true that it doesn't take skill (or whatever we should call it) to 'perform' 4'33. It takes some understanding (however little, maybe) smile and I think there are a lot of people who might go on stage and wouldn't be able to 'bring it off,' in any of the ways that it might be 'brought off.'
But then again, those are probably people who wouldn't care to.

And IMO it is "clever" -- or some such. But I can easily see why some people would think it isn't.

#1531883 - 10/09/10 06:13 PM Re: Cage: 4'33 [Re: hat]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Actually, I was clarifying your definition of blank audio. It has nothing to do with my file.

If it had nothing to do with your file, we wouldn't be talking about it, because the only reference to blank audio was to the blank audio in your file. If you know a better term for it, let us know. I'm not an audio engineer and I would imagine there probably is a standard term for "empty" time in a digital audio file, but I don't know what it is.

#1531897 - 10/09/10 06:26 PM Re: Cage: 4'33 [Re: wr]
hat Offline

If it had nothing to do with your file, we wouldn't be talking about it, because the only reference to blank audio was to the blank audio in your file. If you know a better term for it, let us know. I'm not an audio engineer and I would imagine there probably is a standard term for "empty" time in a digital audio file, but I don't know what it is.

Obviously it was brought up in the context of my file, but it would be circular logic to have a definition of blank audio based on my file.

Nonetheless, here is what I would like to know: let us assume, for the sake of argument (I'm not saying it was, but I'm also not saying it wasn't) that the particular recording of 4'33" which I have uploaded was recorded in an absolutely silent room with one observer watching from behind a glass door, making absolutely no sound herself. In summary, there is no sound. At all.

Does it count as a legitimate performance?

#1531942 - 10/09/10 07:42 PM Re: Cage: 4'33 [Re: hat]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Obviously it was brought up in the context of my file, but it would be circular logic to have a definition of blank audio based on my file.

Nonetheless, here is what I would like to know: let us assume, for the sake of argument (I'm not saying it was, but I'm also not saying it wasn't) that the particular recording of 4'33" which I have uploaded was recorded in an absolutely silent room with one observer watching from behind a glass door, making absolutely no sound herself. In summary, there is no sound. At all.

Does it count as a legitimate performance?

As far as I know, it isn't possible to make a recording such as you describe, with no sound at all, so the question doesn't make real life sense to me.

But speaking in the abstract, if there was a pianist or other instrumentalist actually performing it, I can't see why it would not be a legitimate performance, regardless of recorded results. A recording wouldn't really have any bearing on whether the performance is legitimate; a performance doesn't require recording for validation.

#1532001 - 10/09/10 09:25 PM Re: Cage: 4'33 [Re: wr]
hat Offline

As far as I know, it isn't possible to make a recording such as you describe, with no sound at all, so the question doesn't make real life sense to me.
It wasn't supposed to. That's why I wrote "for the sake of argument."

But speaking in the abstract, if there was a pianist or other instrumentalist actually performing it, I can't see why it would not be a legitimate performance, regardless of recorded results. A recording wouldn't really have any bearing on whether the performance is legitimate; a performance doesn't require recording for validation.

Interesting; here:
I am curious in what sense you think the hat file is a performance. To me, it isn't one; it's just an empty audio file.
you seem to be discrediting any possibility (or legitimacy) of even our hypothetical performance, solely from the recording.

But, as you nonetheless admitted, a performance of 4'33" having one observer and producing no sound whatsoever is legitimate - just as legitimate, in fact, as an analogous performance of a piece that produced sound. Why, then, should this recording of silence be any different? In fact, let's say that you moved your ear (which you might have placed against the speaker while listening to my recorded performance, however hypothetical it may be) to the glass door from which the observer was listening: the end result would be exactly the same. Except, of course, your mind would be set at rest seeing a real live performer sitting at the bench doing absolutely nothing, rather than trying to figure out whether or not some clown on the piano forums actually recorded 4'33".

Edited by hat (10/10/10 12:04 AM)
Edit Reason: outplayed by wr

#1532009 - 10/09/10 09:47 PM Re: Cage: 4'33 [Re: hat]
carey Online   content
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
"Much ado about nothing"..... grin grin grin

#1532020 - 10/09/10 10:24 PM Re: Cage: 4'33 [Re: hat]
Mark_C Offline

Edited by hat (52 minutes 43 seconds ago)
Edit Reason: none in particular aside from creating the impression of a well-thought out reply

Post of the year! ha ha ha

#1532044 - 10/09/10 11:28 PM Re: Cage: 4'33 [Re: hat]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
I'd rather listen to 4'33" than a lot of other pieces or music that take up the same amount of time or more.

#1532060 - 10/09/10 11:56 PM Re: Cage: 4'33 [Re: hat]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Interesting; here:
I am curious in what sense you think the hat file is a performance. To me, it isn't one; it's just an empty audio file.
you seem to be discrediting any possibility (or legitimacy) of even our hypothetical performance, solely from the recording.

But, as you nonetheless admitted, a performance of 4'33" having one observer and producing no sound whatsoever is legitimate - just as legitimate, in fact, as an analogous performance of a piece that produced sound. Why, then, should this recording of silence be any different? In fact, let's say that you moved your ear (which you might have placed against the speaker while listening to my recorded performance, however hypothetical it may be) to the glass door from which the observer was listening: the end result would be except the same. Except, of course, your mind would be set at rest seeing a real live performer sitting at the bench doing absolutely nothing, rather than trying to figure out whether or not some clown on the piano forums actually recorded 4'33".

Um, your edit didn't quite achieve the desired result - "the end result would be except the same". smile

Since the hypothetical performance didn't occur, I am having trouble understanding the point of trying to draw yet more attenuated hypothetical ideas from it. But, just going along as a thought experiment - I don't think the end result would be the same. If I am separated from the performer by a barrier, that alters the situation for me as a listener to such a degree that I wouldn't say that I was in fact listening to a performance of the piece.

#1532175 - 10/10/10 08:40 AM Re: Cage: 4'33 [Re: hat]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: in the past
What an awesome thread.

'I want to invest my emotions only in music; it will never disappoint me or hurt me - it is a safe place to be.'

#1532176 - 10/10/10 08:50 AM Re: Cage: 4'33 [Re: Pogorelich.]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
Originally Posted By: Pogorelich.
What an awesome thread.

Yeah... Arguing over nothing.

(Hehe, what a pun!)

#1532180 - 10/10/10 08:58 AM Re: Cage: 4'33 [Re: hat]
Studio Joe Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Decatur, Texas
And all the people were afraid to tell the emperor that he was naked.

#1532417 - 10/10/10 03:13 PM Re: Cage: 4'33 [Re: Studio Joe]
al-mahed Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Rio de Janeiro
I have no doubt Hat is LHAO.

Working on: music

#1532462 - 10/10/10 04:38 PM Re: Cage: 4'33 [Re: Orange Soda King]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: Orange Soda King
.....Arguing over nothing.

(Hehe, what a pun!)

.....and that's the 2nd greatest post of the year ha

#1532474 - 10/10/10 04:56 PM Re: Cage: 4'33 [Re: hat]
charleslang Offline
2000 Post Club Member

As a professional in the field of philosophy I actually find it in bad taste that some seem to think this topic is 'nothing' or in some way uninteresting.

This is the kind of question philosophers of art write about.

I doubt any of you appreciate hearing that your chosen field is a waste of time.

For those who are interested in studying this kind of question more formally, a good discussion of the question of what constitutes an object of art is contained in Richard Wollheim's book: Art and Its Objects.

That's not the same question as what a performance is, but one could imagine similar considerations, and a similar analytic method to what he uses there.

Baldwin Model R (1974), Hardman 5'9" grand (1915), Rieger-Kloss 42.5" vertical

#1532478 - 10/10/10 05:04 PM Re: Cage: 4'33 [Re: charleslang]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: charleslang
As a professional in the field of philosophy I actually find it in bad taste that some seem to think this topic is 'nothing' or in some way uninteresting......

I agree completely with your post, except that I wouldn't put it as strongly. I don't think their view is in bad taste.....just narrow-minded.

Although actually I'm not sure which they would feel is worse. smile

#1532482 - 10/10/10 05:10 PM Re: Cage: 4'33 [Re: charleslang]
TheHappyMoron Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
As a professional in the field of philosophy I actually find it in bad taste that some seem to think this topic is 'nothing' or in some way uninteresting.

I doubt any of you appreciate hearing that your chosen field is a waste of time.

For those who are interested in studying this kind of question more formally, a good discussion of the question of what constitutes an object of art is contained in Richard Wollheim's book: Art and Its Objects.

That's not the same question as what a performance is, but one could imagine similar considerations, and a similar analytic method to what he uses there.

Purely out of curiosity, may i ask what your profession in the field of philosophy is?

#1532485 - 10/10/10 05:17 PM Re: Cage: 4'33 [Re: charleslang]
carey Online   content
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona

Bad taste? A little disrespectful perhaps....but not bad taste. smile

#1532490 - 10/10/10 05:22 PM Re: Cage: 4'33 [Re: carey]
charleslang Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: carey

Bad taste? A little disrespectful perhaps....but not bad taste. smile

Maybe you're right. I just mean that it should be viewed as similar to someone coming onto one of the threads where pianists are discussing music, saying something like 'this is all uninteresting . . . '.

#1532491 - 10/10/10 05:24 PM Re: Cage: 4'33 [Re: TheHappyMoron]
charleslang Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: TheCannibalHaddock

Purely out of curiosity, may i ask what your profession in the field of philosophy is?

I teach courses and am a graduate student.

#1532493 - 10/10/10 05:25 PM Re: Cage: 4'33 [Re: charleslang]
TheHappyMoron Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I teach courses and am a graduate student.

Ahh very good! and thankyou for the reply smile

#1532528 - 10/10/10 06:00 PM Re: Cage: 4'33 [Re: TheHappyMoron]
Mark_C Offline

Huh......that really answered your question? ha

I thought you also meant what was his area in philosophy.....

#1532541 - 10/10/10 06:33 PM Re: Cage: 4'33 [Re: Mark_C]
TheHappyMoron Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mark_C

Huh......that really answered your question? ha

I thought you also meant what was his area in philosophy.....

Haha! Yes that answer was more than adequate! I was more interested in what careers there actually was in philosophy and he/she gave me one.

#1532544 - 10/10/10 06:35 PM Re: Cage: 4'33 [Re: al-mahed]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: al-mahed
I have no doubt Hat is LHAO.

Since he earlier referred to himself indirectly as "some clown", that may be a reasonable speculation.

But, so what?

#1532546 - 10/10/10 06:42 PM Re: Cage: 4'33 [Re: wr]
hat Offline

Interesting; here:

But, as you nonetheless admitted, a performance of 4'33" having one observer and producing no sound whatsoever is legitimate - just as legitimate, in fact, as an analogous performance of a piece that produced sound. Why, then, should this recording of silence be any different? In fact, let's say that you moved your ear (which you might have placed against the speaker while listening to my recorded performance, however hypothetical it may be) to the glass door from which the observer was listening: the end result would be except the same. Except, of course, your mind would be set at rest seeing a real live performer sitting at the bench doing absolutely nothing, rather than trying to figure out whether or not some clown on the piano forums actually recorded 4'33".

Um, your edit didn't quite achieve the desired result - "the end result would be except the same". smile

Since the hypothetical performance didn't occur,
Irrelevant. The hypothetical recording exists, so, to you, the existence of the hypothetical performance has no consequence (other than, as I said, setting your mind at ease).
I am having trouble understanding the point of trying to draw yet more attenuated hypothetical ideas from it. But, just going along as a thought experiment - I don't think the end result would be the same. If I am separated from the performer by a barrier, that alters the situation for me as a listener to such a degree that I wouldn't say that I was in fact listening to a performance of the piece.

Fine, let's say there was no barrier. I only added that in order to emphasize the fact that the listener's presence had no impact on the sound in the room.

This brings me to my next question: we've now established that 4'33" is, in unaltered form, silence - nothing more (which is exactly what I've posted). So, what exactly is the significance of 4'33", given that there are no instructions on the score to "perform in a room with ambient noise?"

#1532547 - 10/10/10 06:42 PM Re: Cage: 4'33 [Re: Orange Soda King]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

(Hehe, what a pun!)

That pun already turned up in a post from carey. But, of course, 4'33" isn't "nothing".

#1532548 - 10/10/10 06:44 PM Re: Cage: 4'33 [Re: wr]
hat Offline

(Hehe, what a pun!)

That pun already turned up in a post from carey. But, of course, 4'33" isn't "nothing".

What is it?

#1532554 - 10/10/10 06:51 PM Re: Cage: 4'33 [Re: hat]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Interesting; here:

Since the hypothetical performance didn't occur,
Irrelevant. The hypothetical recording exists, so, to you, the existence of the hypothetical performance has no consequence (other than, as I said, setting your mind at ease).

No, the hypothetical recording doesn't exist. It wouldn't be hypothetical if it did. In addition, you seem to be assuming that my earlier statement about the performance was spoken from the POV of a listener. It wasn't.

Quote:

I am having trouble understanding the point of trying to draw yet more attenuated hypothetical ideas from it. But, just going along as a thought experiment - I don't think the end result would be the same. If I am separated from the performer by a barrier, that alters the situation for me as a listener to such a degree that I wouldn't say that I was in fact listening to a performance of the piece.

Fine, let's say there was no barrier. I only added that in order to emphasize the fact that the performer's presence had no impact on the sound in the room.

This brings me to my next question: we've now established that 4'33" is, in unaltered form, silence - nothing more (which is exactly what I've posted). So, what exactly is the significance of 4'33", given that there are no instructions on the score to "perform in a room with ambient noise?"

Nope, nothing was established, other than that you are trying to make that bogus "recording" of 4'33" into something it isn't.

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
151 registered (alex-kid, 36251, 48 invisible), 1539 Guests and 55 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153507 Topics
2249547 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Beginner adult book to read AWAY from the piano?
by What?
Today at 07:46 PM
Sharing custom patches for Ravenscroft?
by Tonio
Today at 07:40 PM
Mozart K310 fingering
by Morodiene
Today at 07:11 PM
1952 Bechstein Grand Piano - family needs appraisal
by feigede
Today at 05:43 PM
Ruben Schoutrop - Nocturne Op. 55 No. 1 in F Minor
by Ruben1
Today at 05:14 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission