2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, ChickenBrother, 9 invisible), 2,093 guests, and 310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#1530820 10/08/10 09:22 AM
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
As many of you know, we are putting together a group tour of European Piano Makers, Music Museums, Composers Homes, Castles, etc.

We will be touring Steingraeber, Bluthner, Hamburg Steinway, and Bosendorfer.
Tour Details Here

Our tour will be focused on Germany and Austria.
While we will have an english speaking guide I suspect most Germans & Austrians speak ... German :-)

As a visitor to their countries I'd like to be able to speak the language, at least enough to carry on a simple conversation. You know, important stuff like ... bathroom, piano, hotel, restaurant, beer.

I thought of Rosetta Stone, but the courses are expensive.

Any suggestions for a reasonably priced course for learning German?

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

J
J
'Sprechen sie Englische' will cover you in 99.999% cases :-)

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Do you mean to the point that you can carry on a conversation? Community colleges and adult education organizations often offer reasonably priced courses.

If you just want "survival German" then I would think one of those Berlitz phrase books should get you through.

I learned most of the German I know from a girl friend in college who was German, but the bulk of it would not be useful for most tourists wink.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
It you're really serious about learning another language I would suggest you hire someone privately to spend a few hours with you everyday to help you with typical conversations.

When I first moved to the Netherlands I attended a two week, very expensive course which immersed me six hours or so per day. It cost a small fortune.

If I had to do it all over again I would have hired someone to teach me for a few hours every day.

Unfortunately if you are not exposed to the language in question on a daily basis it's going to be difficult to become proficient. The Dutch speak English so well because they have so many English speaking programs on their TV. They hear it every day. Unless you spend many hours watching German television every day it's going to be an expensive language course no matter how you cut it.

Hire someone privately to teach you. My two Euro cents.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
I expect that most Germans and Austrians speak English, so there should not be a problem On the other hand, learning another language is always a worthy exercise!

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Thanks everyone, keep the suggestions coming.

I'm just looking for enough to get by on a very basic level.
First, it would be fun, second I'd like to be able to show some respect to our hosts.

We will only be there for 12 days, most of which will be spent with our group and our english speaking tour guide.

I realize Europeans often speak more than one language, due in part I'd imagine to the fact you can visit 6 countries in an area about the size of New England (a fraction of the United States in the northeast).

- Frank B.
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
... one more thing, tipping over here is not like in the US. You don't automatically calculate 15 percent and go from there.

Folks are paid very well here and we typically round up. If the dinner comes to €38 we'll leave a €2 tip.

I have not encountered tips being included in the bill in Germany or Holland but have paid a 'table setting charge' in Italy. I guess they thought we wouldn't tip and added that extra charge to the bill. In that instance I left nothing.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Dave Horne
... one more thing, tipping over here is not like in the US. You don't automatically calculate 15 percent and go from there.

Folks are paid very well here and we typically round up. If the dinner comes to €38 we'll leave a €2 tip.

I have not encountered tips being included in the bill in Germany or Holland but have paid a 'table setting charge' in Italy. I guess they thought we wouldn't tip and added that extra charge to the bill. In that instance I left nothing.

Thanks Dave.

I find it fascinating that you live in the Netherlands and rattled off 3 other countries as if they were within a few hundred km of you. Oh wait, they are :-)

I'm so looking forward to my first visit to Europe, I've a feeling it won't be my last.

- Frank B.
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Europe is awesome, but you could spend a lifetime exploring every single country, they truly are so different.
Most young germans are actually quite capable of speaking english. They do however voice-over a lot of the programs and movies, which in the Netherlands never happens (only for children movies), we always use subtitles.

Currently working on: Perfecting the Op 2/1, studying the 27/2 last movement. Chopin Nocturne 32/2 and Posth. C#m, 'Raindrop' prelude and Etude 10/9
Repetoire: Beethoven op 2/1, 10/1(1st, 2nd), 13, 14/1, 27/1(1st, 2nd), 27/2, 28(1st, 2nd), 31/2(1st, 3rd), 49/1, 49/2, 78(1st), 79, 90, 101(1st)
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Victor25
Europe is awesome, but you could spend a lifetime exploring every single country, they truly are so different.

No doubt.

I love architecture, history, antiques, music, food, and interesting people.
I'm afraid I'll be on overload in Europe, and may just want to stay :-)

All I need is a high-speed Internet connection and I could run Piano World from anywhere.

- Frank B.
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
my wife & i did a cycling trip along the danube this summer; munich to vienna. the pimsleur approach is by far the best and least expensive (audio course); intro course only $10:

http://www.pimsleurapproach.com/

Last edited by Entheo; 10/08/10 12:13 PM.
AJB Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
When I learnt German I use the Michel Thomas course, which is available by CD or on-line.

I have some MP3 German lessons which I am happy to email to you Frank (but not dozens of people) if you PM me a private email address.

Also some common phrases etc that will be useful.

My wife is German and we have a house near Cologne, so that helps in the learning process. As an English primary language speaker I found German rather difficult, largely because the sentence structures are radically different.

Whilst many Germans do speak English, the degree of multilingual fluency is nowhere near as widespread as it is in the Netherlands. My first wife was Dutch and in my experience a great many Dutch speak multiple languages - certainly it is common to be fluent or near fluent in Dutch, German, English and French. This is much less true of most Germans unless they have made a specific effort to learn other languages.

Certainly guys like Udo Steingreaber speak fluent English and you will encounter no problems on the Steinway factory tour either (apart from being frozen that far north!).

Adrian

C212. Teaching. Accompaniment.
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Thanks Adrian.

I've met Udo Steingraeber a couple of times, and Dr. Bluthner a number of times. You are correct, they both speak excellent English.

As for it being "cold" in Hamburg, I only recently moved to Florida (southern U.S.), having spent most of my life in the New England area (northeast U.S.).

In my youth I worked on commercial fishing, lobstering, and tug boats where we sometimes had to chip ice off the rails and masts. I'm pretty tolerant of the cold :-)

- Frank B.
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
As for learning German: Fe'get it!
I took German for 4 years at shcool in Norway, and even at the age from 13 to 17 when your memory is soooo much better than at 62, I had great difficulties learning this language, so full of rules and "kasus" and difficult grammar. But finally, 4 weeks before the final exam, the dime fell down, and I got the hang of it. Two weeks after the exam, I went on my first trip to Germany and got a chance to use what I had learned, and after a week, I was almost fluent.
But have no fear, all the Germans and Austrians know English to some extent, and you will have no problems navigating without knowing German. And if you should get stuck when Lufthansa loses your luggage, you may emulate Marlene Dietrich and tell them that "Ich hab' noch einen Koffer in Berlin".

Some men are music lovers. Others make love without it.
G
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
G
Doesn't make sense to learn German, since everyone speaks English in even the most remote corners of the world. I wouldn't recommend something like Rosetta Stone. These commercial courses are just not practical. They have sentence constructions like: "Which one of the three people is holding the plate?", stuff that you would never say in real life. The best way to learn a foreign language is to befriend a native speaker who will teach you the language like you would learn it in the home in that country.

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
First, I think it would be presumptious to think "everyone" speaks English, second ... as stated earlier...

I just want to learn some basics because
A. It would be fun
B. It shows some respect for the host country.

Now based on your suggestion Gyro, I'll just have to stay in Europe until I learn the language, not a bad idea:-)

- Frank B.
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gyro
Doesn't make sense to learn German, since everyone speaks English in even the most remote corners of the world. I wouldn't recommend something like Rosetta Stone. These commercial courses are just not practical. They have sentence constructions like: "Which one of the three people is holding the plate?", stuff that you would never say in real life. The best way to learn a foreign language is to befriend a native speaker who will teach you the language like you would learn it in the home in that country.

Haha, you don't travel much do you?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hmmm, I have been to Italy as well as Costa Rica, and English worked just fine.
But all that aside: There is nothing as rewarding as learning a foreign language, it opens up doors to books, plays, conversations and other things that will enrich your life. And once you have mastered German, no Lieder will ever sound good in English, no matter how accessible. But a language like German is very hard to learn on your own, due to the impossible grammar and pronunciation. Is there a possibility for a tutor somewhere? Free of charge, of course. In any case, feel free to private me for any grammatical question, I will be more than happy to help. (and render you totally frustrated.)

Some men are music lovers. Others make love without it.
For a while I subscribed to "Schau ins Land" that sent monthly CD's along with a text booklet that explained the vocabulary and colloquialisms in greater context. More supplemental attention was given to help the foreigner understand the background behind these events to help bridge the gap between the foreigner and the native. The CD's were similar to a radio broadcast with in depth coverage of important and timely topics. Learning a foreign language is really about understanding politics, culture, local current events of the country and even a different perspective on American news.

Unfortunately Champs-Elysees Audio Magazines that produced "Schau ins Land" has suspended its operations because of economic conditions.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I liked the Pimsleur course that I used from my library. It didn't teach any grammar rules, but it did give me a good ear for what the language sounded like, and gave me a lot of practice trying to get my words to sound like the speakers on the cd. I thought the phrases and words it taught were useful. I'm now going through a German textbook (what 1st-year university students use) which is a good complement to the Pimsleur course. The course is expensive to buy, so check your library.

As for everyone speaking English, I would feel guilty assuming that, and expecting everyone else I'm visiting to have the burden of trying to speak in another language.

Last edited by Arghhh; 10/08/10 04:44 PM.

Professional pianist and piano teacher.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission