Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1534409 - 10/13/10 06:03 AM Re: Know any remixed classical music? [Re: Skorpius]
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Banned
One could argue that Lang Lang has been the crossover artist that has helped significant number of youth get seriously involved in classical music globally.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1534425 - 10/13/10 06:53 AM Re: Know any remixed classical music? [Re: Skorpius]
Masume Offline

Loc: Germany
I disagree with the "expose them to the real thing or don't do it at all" attitude.
I believe its hard to spark interest in something that is completly unrelated to the things they already like, and by using Popmusic/Classical crossovers you might be able to bridge that gap.
If they like films, use classical-style filmmusic or classical music used in films, If they like videogames, use classical style videogamemusic. Maybe not everyone who listens to videogamemusic or filmmusic or watches movies with classical music eventually developes a passion for classical music, but some do. Classical Videogameconcerts are sold out half a year prior to the performance and I think thats a great opportunity to bring classical music to a younger audience.
There is a good and relatively wellknown videogame where you actually play as Chopin in a dreamworld which uses alot of Chopin's music and tells the story of his life.
I myself discoverd Chopin's music mostly by watching the film "The Pianist"
. Clair de Lune appears in the first Twighlight film and I bet a lot of young moviegoers heard it there for the first time and discovered they liked it very much. Things like that are the opportunity to tell them that there's more stuff like that.

#1534441 - 10/13/10 07:56 AM Re: Know any remixed classical music? [Re: Masume]
olavi Offline

Based on my own experiences, I would steer away from crossovers and totally overplayed classics. I think that the Hallelujah chorus and Ode to Joy sound somewhat naive, and most crossovers are just weaker than the originals - not really more interesting.

I think the reason I disliked classical music when I was a teenager was that a) it sounded too happy b) it had this weird fade-in fade-out phrasing thing instead of a pulse. Perhaps minimalists are more accessible?

Of all the suggestions listed so far, I liked Holst's Planets most. Teenagers probably haven't heard it, and I don't think anyone can immediately forget Mars, the Bringer of War. I've noticed that many rock listeners are looking for "aggressive classical" as their first steps into the classical realm and "Mars" is definitely the thing to recommend. There's even a steady beat. Another pieces that would fit the description are Inferno from the Dante Symphony and O Fortuna, but the latter is overplayed. Perhaps even Contrapunctus I might work?

As Masume already observed, many teenagers often like film and video game music. I definitely agree that film music is the door to classical music. One day a film music fan listens to a Kubrick film soundtrack and checks out who was the composer... From original compositions, Kronos Quartet's Requiem of the Dream soundtrack is a powerful one. From the video game side of things, piano versions of Final Fantasy soundtracks are excellent.

Personally, Gould's 1981 Goldberg Variations was the thing that tipped me into the classical realm for good. I guess it was the contrast: Gould presented a great composition with absolute clarity, while pop musicians hide mediocre compositions with interesting sounds and lyrics. Of course, I had already listened to film and video game music my entire life.

#1534451 - 10/13/10 08:18 AM Re: Know any remixed classical music? [Re: olavi]
John_B Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Bristol, UK
olavi, what you say makes a lot of sense.

Another piece with a powerful motor rhythm and a somewhat aggressive feel is Prokofiev's Toccata Op 11. (Martha Argerich's early recording is on YouTube.)

#1534457 - 10/13/10 08:24 AM Re: Know any remixed classical music? [Re: Skorpius]
izaldu Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc:
I remember there was this underround techno club in Madrid that onlyplayed trance music. Heavy trance.

Every session, just before closing the bars and turning the lights back on at 9 am , they closed with Carmina Burana ... everybody loved it. it only lasted for 5 minutes or som, but poeple enjoyed it.

I agree with what s been said. I would expose people ti the real thing, which is far more interesting than the crossover stuff. I think the main problem with many `poeple about classical is the length of the works.

#1534472 - 10/13/10 08:44 AM Re: Know any remixed classical music? [Re: Skorpius]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
I discovered some classical music through the work of Isao Tomita who managed to play on some FM rock stations in the 70's due mainly to the newness of the instrumentation. (moog synthesizer) Many of his selections are on youtube, including a great version of "Pictures at an Exhibition". Although this approach is now old, I thought it worked a lot better than putting classical tunes to a drum track. Those always sounded like a joke.

#1534480 - 10/13/10 08:59 AM Re: Know any remixed classical music? [Re: stores]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Originally Posted By: stores

And might I add.....Maksim?????? I don't remember who posted the suggestions for him, but cmon! You CAN'T be serious? I'll not say more, lest I get myself started...

errr... that would've been me. whome And, yes, I was serious, for these reasons:

1.) The O.P. asked for suggestions to 'expose' a younger audience (presumably high school or middle school students) to classical music.

2.) This is an audience that, due to its lack of experience with classical music and the constraints of a short piece played over the public address system, will be incapable of distinguishing between truly great and less-skilled performers of a given classical piece.

3.) The O.P. will only have a couple of minutes to grab their attention.

4.) No matter what else you might say about Maksim, he is indisputably attention-grabbing, and he accomplishes an important goal: Showing that one does not need to be middle-aged or old, dressed in a boring suit or tuxedo, to enjoy and play classical music.

5.) A ton of psychological research on persuasion demonstrates conclusively that if you want to change a person's attitude, you are more successful if your attempts fall into the person's "latitude of acceptance" rather than attempt a radical change in one move. In other words, you will have better luck persuading a hip-hop oriented group to like 'crossover' classical remixes first, and then--one hopes--proceeding to the genuine article, rather than convincing the same crowd to trade in T.I. for Horowitz in one fell swoop.

So I still think Maksim was a good suggestion for the O.P.'s original request. Had the O.P. asked instead, "what is the best example of Handel's Sarabande out there?", Maksim's name would have never crossed my keyboard and I would've faded quietly into the obscurity of AB forum. wink

#1534492 - 10/13/10 09:31 AM Re: Know any remixed classical music? [Re: Masume]
Zindaras Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Originally Posted By: Masume
I disagree with the "expose them to the real thing or don't do it at all" attitude.
I believe its hard to spark interest in something that is completly unrelated to the things they already like, and by using Popmusic/Classical crossovers you might be able to bridge that gap.
If they like films, use classical-style filmmusic or classical music used in films, If they like videogames, use classical style videogamemusic. Maybe not everyone who listens to videogamemusic or filmmusic or watches movies with classical music eventually developes a passion for classical music, but some do. Classical Videogameconcerts are sold out half a year prior to the performance and I think thats a great opportunity to bring classical music to a younger audience.
There is a good and relatively wellknown videogame where you actually play as Chopin in a dreamworld which uses alot of Chopin's music and tells the story of his life.
I myself discoverd Chopin's music mostly by watching the film "The Pianist"
. Clair de Lune appears in the first Twighlight film and I bet a lot of young moviegoers heard it there for the first time and discovered they liked it very much. Things like that are the opportunity to tell them that there's more stuff like that.

I agree with this. A lot of Clair de Lune views come from Twilight fans. Playing music that's in movies is a great way to catch someone's attention. There's this guy on Youtube who plays very little-known pieces, but the one which has by far the most views is Yiruma's River Flows in You, also from Twilight. Similarly, a lot of people heard Chopin's Prelude 15 for the first time in the Halo 3 commercial and connected to classical music through there. It doesn't matter how they got there: they're hooked, they're interested, and they will probably check out other similar music. The hook is most important.

I would also suggest Saint-Saens pieces, especially the Carnaval des animaux and Danse Macabre. Both are great at drawing a picture: the Carnaval des animaux has all kinds of different animals, while the Danse Macabre is just the absolute pinnacle of haunted mansion music. By the way, in the Carnaval, pick the Aquarium if anything. The Aquarium was used as the basis of a piece in Beauty and the Beast, and people will know it.

#1534497 - 10/13/10 09:43 AM Re: Know any remixed classical music? [Re: Zindaras]
olavi Offline

Originally Posted By: Zindaras
The Aquarium was used as the basis of a piece in Beauty and the Beast

It was also used in a fairly recent film trailer, I think it was Benjamin Button. A haunting, mysterious sounding piece nonetheless.

#1534526 - 10/13/10 10:35 AM Re: Know any remixed classical music? [Re: Monica K.]
GlassLove Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan

5.) A ton of psychological research on persuasion demonstrates conclusively that if you want to change a person's attitude, you are more successful if your attempts fall into the person's "latitude of acceptance" rather than attempt a radical change in one move. In other words, you will have better luck persuading a hip-hop oriented group to like 'crossover' classical remixes first, and then--one hopes--proceeding to the genuine article, rather than convincing the same crowd to trade in T.I. for Horowitz in one fell swoop.

[/quote]

+100 to this. Bring on the social psychological research Monica.

#1534529 - 10/13/10 10:43 AM Re: Know any remixed classical music? [Re: Skorpius]
GlassLove Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan
But I should add, I showed my 14 year old son a video of Maksim and he laughed at it. He said, "He is the Justin Bieber of piano." I didn't know who Justin Bieber was and had to ask what he meant. He felt pretty confident that the "outside packaging" determined each artist's success, rather than any genuine talent, that both are likely very much overrated.

#1534546 - 10/13/10 11:06 AM Re: Know any remixed classical music? [Re: Skorpius]
TheHappyMoron Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Alot of hip-hop samples classical music anyway, and the majority of pop music is influenced by classical. There's thousands of examples. The majority of song writers and producers, from all age groups, are well aware of classical music. I'm sure everyone remembers when the rapper Nas put a drum beat on Fur Elise and made loads of money off it! I wonder if that got anyone listening to Beethoven...hhaha

#1534554 - 10/13/10 11:11 AM Re: Know any remixed classical music? [Re: Monica K.]
BruceD Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
Originally Posted By: Monica K.
[...]
2.) This is an audience that, due to its lack of experience with classical music and the constraints of a short piece played over the public address system, will be incapable of distinguishing between truly great and less-skilled performers of a given classical piece.

3.) The O.P. will only have a couple of minutes to grab their attention.

4.) No matter what else you might say about Maksim, he is indisputably attention-grabbing, and he accomplishes an important goal: Showing that one does not need to be middle-aged or old, dressed in a boring suit or tuxedo, to enjoy and play classical music.

[..]

But isn't much of Maksim's appeal through the visual? How is this going to be realized through music broadcast over a P/A system? I didn't get the impression from the OP that the morning show is a video broadcast.

Regards,

#1534564 - 10/13/10 11:19 AM Re: Know any remixed classical music? [Re: BruceD]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Originally Posted By: BruceD

But isn't much of Maksim's appeal through the visual? How is this going to be realized through music broadcast over a P/A system? I didn't get the impression from the OP that the morning show is a video broadcast.

Regards,

Yes, it's his overall "package" of leather and hair and soulful eyes that gets the teenage girls (and the occasional middle-aged lady or two... laugh ) swooning. A lot of schools these days, though, do their morning announcements over closed-circuit TVs, in which case showing a video would be feasible.

#1534601 - 10/13/10 12:17 PM Re: Know any remixed classical music? [Re: Monica K.]
John_B Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Bristol, UK
Originally Posted By: Monica K.

I remember seeing Valery Gergiev some 10 or 15 years ago: not in a penguin suit, sweat streaming down his face, lank hair and looking like a meths addict - conducting Shostakovich 7 in a way that you were in no doubt that this was music that mattered. You would definitely not walk down a dark alley if he was there! Such a refreshing change. (I still like Gergiev's conducting but he has smartened up a lot over the last decade.)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
LAST CALL - Piano Newsletter Ideas!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
98 registered (AmateurBob, A Guy, 29 invisible), 1347 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75498 Members
42 Forums
156113 Topics
2292524 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Need advice on buying a Yamaha Disklavier
by Lady
32 minutes 16 seconds ago
Surge protection?
by TX-Bluebonnet
Today at 12:01 AM
Opening up an old Piano
by musicNow
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Unusual Big Key Depth Yamaha Motif Xs7
by Ivan Jochner
Yesterday at 10:55 PM
Yamaha P255
by pianist.ame
Yesterday at 09:12 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission