Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1533394 - 10/11/10 08:29 PM Know any remixed classical music?
Skorpius Offline
500 Post Club Member

At my school, I work in the A/V department and we have a morning show. We play music on the morning show and I want to expose the school to some older music, so they aren't bombarded with the utter crap that people call music nowadays. I want to expose them to classical music, but through some cool takes on classical music or pop music arranged for classical instruments, to have something different. Any suggestions?

Paul Dateh and Black Violin are in the range of what I"m looking for laugh

Deux Arabesques, Debussy

On Queue-

Danse Russe from Petroushka, Stravinsky
Toccata, Ravel

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1533411 - 10/11/10 09:10 PM Re: Know any remixed classical music? [Re: Skorpius]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Try some Maksim, perhaps. If you can show a video, his Croatian Rhapsody is a crowd-pleaser, and he does pure classical, too, e.g., Flight of the Bumblebee.

Croatian Rhapsody:

His "Sarabande" is pretty catchy, too:

Trans-Siberian Orchestra does classical with a heavy metal twist. Here's one of their official videos for Beethoven's Fifth:

And of course the "Wizards of Winter" video that went viral...

Epica has an entire "Classical Conspiracy" album that does classical pieces with a symphonic metal take. Here's an ex:

Mike Oldfield does pop/new age with orchestral arrangements. He's best known for "Tubular Bells," which he wrote when he was a teenager and played all the instruments himself. His most recent album ("Music of the Spheres") was intended to be a pure classical album. Here's "Harbinger" from that album:

#1533419 - 10/11/10 09:19 PM Re: Know any remixed classical music? [Re: Skorpius]
sportsdude2060 Offline

Well, it's certainly a remix wink

#1533437 - 10/11/10 10:03 PM Re: Know any remixed classical music? [Re: Skorpius]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
Haha, some people are going to hate this thread, but if they do, they should just leave and not post anything.

I always liked this one:

#1533459 - 10/11/10 10:35 PM Re: Know any remixed classical music? [Re: Orange Soda King]
beet31425 Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bay Area, CA
Originally Posted By: Orange Soda King
Haha, some people are going to hate this thread, but if they do, they should just leave and not post anything.

I always liked this one:

Hey, that's great! I guess it's DIY-development-section day, but still, pretty great.

It actually makes explicit a lot of feelings I've always had about this movement. For instance, the change in the drum back-beat from 0:43-0:48 to 0:49-0:54. I've always heard that kind of thing in the original, and I'm really glad they felt the same way.

-J

#1533473 - 10/11/10 11:01 PM Re: Know any remixed classical music? [Re: Skorpius]
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
Oh, Geez! How wrong can you be?

#1533486 - 10/11/10 11:27 PM Re: Know any remixed classical music? [Re: Skorpius]
Mermanof83 Offline

Loc: California, USA
Here's one I quite like. And before you get up in arms over the name, the guy who did this goes by Wolfgang Gartner.

Wolfgang's 5th Symphony

#1533545 - 10/12/10 01:37 AM Re: Know any remixed classical music? [Re: Skorpius]
WinsomeAllegretto Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Bond is really cool. They are a rocked up string quartet. Here's their version of the aquarium from saint saens carnival of animals.

#1533630 - 10/12/10 05:22 AM Re: Know any remixed classical music? [Re: Skorpius]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Skorpius
I want to expose them to classical music, but through some cool takes on classical music or pop music arranged for classical instruments, to have something different.

In other words, you don't want to expose them to classical music, but want to pretend that you are.

#1533666 - 10/12/10 07:30 AM Re: Know any remixed classical music? [Re: Skorpius]
keyboardklutz Offline

Loc: London, UK (though if it's Aug...
Here's something I did a few years ago with the first movement of Bach's G major solo cello suite using Reason (Redrum to be exact). The pictures are from a study of child development.

#1533669 - 10/12/10 07:49 AM Re: Know any remixed classical music? [Re: Skorpius]
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Banned
At the risk of dating myself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEh2N5hmPVM

#1533673 - 10/12/10 08:09 AM Re: Know any remixed classical music? [Re: Skorpius]
keyboardklutz Offline

Aw tJ, that just ain't right.

#1533679 - 10/12/10 08:33 AM Re: Know any remixed classical music? [Re: Skorpius]
ChibiSF Offline

Loc: Long Island, New York

Oontz! Oontz! Oontz!

#1533687 - 10/12/10 08:52 AM Re: Know any remixed classical music? [Re: Skorpius]
keyboardklutz Offline

This I actually bought because I liked the oboist:

#1533715 - 10/12/10 09:26 AM Re: Know any remixed classical music? [Re: Skorpius]
John_B Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Bristol, UK
Philip Glass meets rock.

#1534005 - 10/12/10 04:15 PM Re: Know any remixed classical music? [Re: wr]
BruceD Offline

Loc: Victoria, BC
Originally Posted By: wr
I want to expose them to classical music, but through some cool takes on classical music or pop music arranged for classical instruments, to have something different.

In other words, you don't want to expose them to classical music, but want to pretend that you are.

That's also how I interpret the original post. If you want to expose people to classical music, if you hope that some of them will develop a taste for it, an interest in it and even a passion for it, give them the real thing. Of course that may require some careful, judicious selecting which represents, perhaps, a fair amount of work. Otherwise, change the premise.

Regards,

#1534041 - 10/12/10 05:33 PM Re: Know any remixed classical music? [Re: Skorpius]
miaeih Offline

Loc: SF Bay Area, CA
Look up Apocalyptica on youtube. They have done classical as well as Metalica covers; they are classically trained cellists.

Beethoven Virus from 3rd movement Beethoven's Pathetique.

#1534042 - 10/12/10 05:35 PM Re: Know any remixed classical music? [Re: Skorpius]
pianoloverus Online   content

Loc: New York City
I think some of those who are against the idea of using a souped up version of classical may not realize how low the average teenager's interest in this music really is. When I was teaching high school, I would often walk by the music teacher's room(he was very good and all sophomores had to take music 101) and watch in amazement as the students looked totally bored listening to selections like the Hallelujah Chorus or Beethoven's Ninth. There was more interest when the teacher put on a video of Horowitz because of the visual element.

#1534067 - 10/12/10 06:14 PM Re: Know any remixed classical music? [Re: Skorpius]
dolce sfogato Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Netherlands
Emerson, Lake and Palmer's version of Pictures of an Exhibition, a must!

Couperin pièces, Ravel tombeau de C

#1534103 - 10/12/10 07:02 PM Re: Know any remixed classical music? [Re: pianoloverus]
John_B Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
I would often walk by the music teacher's room(he was very good and all sophomores had to take music 101) and watch in amazement as the students looked totally bored listening to selections like the Hallelujah Chorus or Beethoven's Ninth. There was more interest when the teacher put on a video of Horowitz because of the visual element.

That doesn't surprise me at all. To be honest I would feel pretty bored with the ubiquitous Hallelujah Chorus and you have to have an understanding of the music of Beethoven's time to grasp how revolutionary his 9th Symphony was (pity about the last movement though).

I was fortunate in the late 50s, early 60s that the music teacher at my school was a young composer who had recently graduated from the Royal Manchester College of Music when it was the centre of the 'Manchester School' (Birtwistle, Peter Maxwell Davis, Elgar Howarth, John Ogden, etc.) The music he played in class included Stravinsky's Rite of Spring, Hindemith's Symphonic Metamorphosis of Themes by Carl Maria von Weber (a rather tongue-in-cheek title), Bartok, Holst's Planets, Walton Overtures - even Stan Kenton performing Bob Graettinger's 'City of Glass'.

I think those and similar pieces are *much* more likely to hold the attention of young people than the Hallelujah Chorus!

By the way, after listening to some of the suggested clips, I think this thread is pretty sad (and very depressing). The one based on the Dies Irae from Verdi's Requiem was especially pointless - it had nothing of the terrifying dramatic impact of the movement it was based on. But then, similar things can be said of most of the stuff.

#1534107 - 10/12/10 07:06 PM Re: Know any remixed classical music? [Re: wr]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there

+1

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#1534109 - 10/12/10 07:08 PM Re: Know any remixed classical music? [Re: BruceD]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
Originally Posted By: BruceD

That's also how I interpret the original post. If you want to expose people to classical music, if you hope that some of them will develop a taste for it, an interest in it and even a passion for it, give them the real thing. Of course that may require some careful, judicious selecting which represents, perhaps, a fair amount of work. Otherwise, change the premise.

Regards,

+1

And might I add.....Maksim?????? I don't remember who posted the suggestions for him, but cmon! You CAN'T be serious? I'll not say more, lest I get myself started...

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#1534110 - 10/12/10 07:09 PM Re: Know any remixed classical music? [Re: John_B]

Originally Posted By: John_B
That doesn't surprise me at all. To be honest I would feel pretty bored with the ubiquitous Hallelujah Chorus and you have to have an understanding of the music of Beethoven's time to grasp how revolutionary his 9th Symphony was (pity about the last movement though).
Your musical suggestions may or not be better but I think your reasons for disliking the above works don't make much sense. The Hallelujah Chorus is not "ubiquitous" for teens, and one does not have to know anything about history to find the choral finale of the Beethoven extremely appealing.

Edited by pianoloverus (10/12/10 07:09 PM)

#1534113 - 10/12/10 07:17 PM Re: Know any remixed classical music? [Re: pianoloverus]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

I think some of those who are against the idea of using a souped up version of classical may not realize how low the average teenager's interest in this music really is.

Just to clarify, I am not against the arrangements, per se, but am against the pretense that it is classical music. It isn't. It is pop music borrowing stuff from classical, which isn't the same thing.

#1534119 - 10/12/10 07:28 PM Re: Know any remixed classical music? [Re: pianoloverus]
John_B Offline
500 Post Club Member

Your musical suggestions may or not be better but I think your reasons for disliking the above works don't make much sense. The Hallelujah Chorus is not "ubiquitous" for teens, and one does not have to know anything about history to find the choral finale of the Beethoven extremely appealing.

I didn't say that I disliked Handel's Messiah or Beethoven's 9th (though I would prefer to hear both in their entirety, rather than a bleeding chunk).

What I was getting at is that neither the Hallelujah Chorus (definitely) nor the final movement of Beethoven's 9th (probably) are likely to grab young people by the balls in the same way that some of the more visceral music that was written in the C20 is likely to.

Actually I prefer the other movements of Beethoven's 9th to the choral finale - the first movement is truly remarkable and the slow movement touches the sublime. (It's not for nothing that you can clearly hear the influence of the first movement and the scherzo in most if not all of Bruckner's symphonies.)

#1534124 - 10/12/10 07:36 PM Re: Know any remixed classical music? [Re: wr]
Skorpius Offline
500 Post Club Member

A step towards is better than no step at all.

Deux Arabesques, Debussy

On Queue-

Toccata, Ravel

#1534132 - 10/12/10 07:52 PM Re: Know any remixed classical music? [Re: John_B]
sportsdude2060 Offline

Originally Posted By: John_B

What I was getting at is that neither the Hallelujah Chorus (definitely) nor the final movement of Beethoven's 9th (probably) are likely to grab young people by the balls in the same way that some of the more visceral music that was written in the C20 is likely to.

I doubt it. One little tidbit I've learned from experience is that the only thing teenagers (especially those into mainstream rap/pop) dislike more than classical music is classical music they've never heard before.

If you really want to try to spark something that even resembles interest, stick to the most popular of the popular -- Beethoven's Fifth, Hungarian Rhapsody, William Tell, Eine Kleine Nachtmusik, Canon in D (ok, maybe not this one), The Blue Danube, Ride of the Valkyries, Stars and Stripes Forever(a little past the classical era, but oh well), Flight of the Bumblebee etc.

Then, maybe, after a while, you can ease into slightly more obscure pieces -- Mozart's 40th, Also Sprach Zarathustra, O Fortuna, The Barber of Seville Overture, Toccata and Fugue (less known than you might think -- no one really recognizes anything outside of the first 10 seconds of each section), etc.

It might not work -- then again, not much will -- however, as others have mentioned, I don't think that presenting remixed classical themes is likely to produce any appreciation for the real thing.

Edited by sportsdude2060 (10/12/10 07:53 PM)

#1534136 - 10/12/10 08:01 PM Re: Know any remixed classical music? [Re: wr]

I think some of those who are against the idea of using a souped up version of classical may not realize how low the average teenager's interest in this music really is.

Just to clarify, I am not against the arrangements, per se, but am against the pretense that it is classical music. It isn't. It is pop music borrowing stuff from classical, which isn't the same thing.
Or it's classical music borrowing stuff from pop.

If listening to souped up classical gets them interested, why does it matter how anyone classifies it? It's certainly far closer to classical then the pop music most teens listen to.

Edited by pianoloverus (10/12/10 08:03 PM)

#1534165 - 10/12/10 08:40 PM Re: Know any remixed classical music? [Re: Skorpius]
Skorpius Offline
500 Post Club Member

What was the orchestra that did of medley of famous and beautiful pieces of music? shocked

Deux Arabesques, Debussy

On Queue-

Toccata, Ravel

#1534397 - 10/13/10 04:50 AM Re: Know any remixed classical music? [Re: Skorpius]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

A step towards is better than no step at all.

I think it is debatable whether it is a "step towards". Judging from the video suggestions so far, most of which I've at least listened to part of, I think if I were one of the kids, I'd probably think it was pretentious weirdness and probably somebody's idea of a joke, rather than being cool. I think the kids who like that kind of stuff probably are already aware of it, but then, I don't know what age group or location you are talking about.

Obviously, there must be an audience for crossover somewhere, because various permutations of it have been around for a long time (e.g., "I'm Always Chasing Rainbows"). I doubt that significant numbers of people start getting seriously involved in real classical music because of it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
144 registered (angga888, accordeur, AndrewJCW, AmateurBob, 36251, 35 invisible), 1917 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75521 Members
42 Forums
156166 Topics
2293373 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Please help! Hoping for advice regarding Yamaha purchase
by Lady
07/25/14 06:22 PM
Piano Practice Technique - Only Slow?
by JoeHom
07/25/14 05:53 PM
Wow, early Arrau!
by Ian_G
07/25/14 05:02 PM
Bored kid at Cosco..
by Norbert
07/25/14 04:37 PM
Need help and advice please!
by Pover
07/25/14 04:36 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission