Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1521687 - 09/24/10 08:35 AM C. Bechstein or Grotrian Steinweg? Please help.
Edgar1974 Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Good afternoon, I am Edgar, almost 36 years and live in the Netherlands. My wife plays piano all her life. I do not. I would like to learn. Our daughter would also like to learn. She is still young (four years old), but I do not stop her. wink

I would like to purchase an upright piano. I think it’s a one time purchase and that you will not soon, perhaps never again, buy another piano. At least I think so. Maybe I’m wrong.

I want to buy a good piano. I've done some research over de past few months and got to listen to different pianos. On my short list are now two pianos:
- C. Bechstein Elegance (124 cm)
- Grotrian Steinweg Classic (124 cm)

Initially I had the Steinway & Sons K-52 (132 cm) on my short list, but because of the price I dropped it.

I am really in need of your independent advice. My wife and I find it very difficult to make a choice on the basis of the sound and feel of the pianos on our short list. The sound and feel of both pianos are almost equal (to us). However we have to make a choice.

Which one I should pick? What would you advise me?

Thanks for your comments.

Sincerely,
Edgar

Edited by Edgar1974 (09/24/10 08:36 AM)

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1521696 - 09/24/10 08:45 AM Re: C. Bechstein or Grotrian Steinweg? Please help. [Re: Edgar1974]
Keith D Kerman Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Gaithersburg, MD (Washington D...
Originally Posted By: Edgar1974

My wife and I find it very difficult to make a choice on the basis of the sound and feel of the pianos on our short list. The sound and feel of both pianos are almost equal (to us). However we have to make a choice.

Which one I should pick? What would you advise me?

Both are good quality uprights, so the simple answer is buy the less expensive one.

If they are located at different piano dealers, buy the piano from the dealer you feel will support the sale better. Does one dealer give better after sale service? Is one dealer better known for how they prepare the piano prior to delivery? Will you be using a piano technician from the dealer for future service?

If you still cannot decide, pay an expert pianist to help you choose. Have them try both pianos in a wide variety of repertoire that is demanding on both pianos. This should make it more clear which piano is superior.

Good luck!
New Steingraeber, Estonia, Charles R. Walter, Brodmann, Feurich
www.pianocraft.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel/videos

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460

#1521745 - 09/24/10 10:30 AM Re: C. Bechstein or Grotrian Steinweg? Please help. [Re: Edgar1974]
Piano*Dad Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
Since both are extremely well built, judging which is 'superior' is likely to be a component of your own tastes. As Keith notes, if you feel both are identical (or very close) in all the ways that matter, then choose based on price or on dealership issues. Things are more complicated if you happen to have a preference for some attributes of the more expensive one. Since you ruled out the Steinway already, price does seem to matter.
Grotrian 192 #156455

#1521749 - 09/24/10 10:34 AM Re: C. Bechstein or Grotrian Steinweg? Please help. [Re: Edgar1974]
Piano*Dad Online   content

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
..... one more thought ....

Your wife plays. Have you ruled out a grand piano for reasons of space? These particular uprights command a high price in the US market, and they don't sell well as far as I know. I suspect they are also expensive in the EU as well. One can acquire a much bigger sounding grand for not a whole lot more money.
Grotrian 192 #156455

#1521850 - 09/24/10 01:37 PM Re: C. Bechstein or Grotrian Steinweg? Please help. [Re: Edgar1974]
Seeker Offline

Loc: Rockville, MD
I agree 100% with Keith Kernan. Both instruments under consideration are good ones of similar quality. If you and your wife like the sound of both equally, what is left? I can only think of these things that Keith has not already mentioned:

Which one is visually more appealing?

Which has a better manufacturer's warranty?

Good luck with your daughter, and start saving money now to help her launch her piano career if that's where her Talent takes her.
www.AndrewKraus.com
www.YouTube.com/RockvillePianoGuy
Twitter at @IAmAPianist

1929 Steinert 6'10" (Close copy of New York S&S "B")

#1521865 - 09/24/10 01:57 PM Re: C. Bechstein or Grotrian Steinweg? Please help. [Re: Keith D Kerman]
elecmuse3 Offline

Loc: Cincinnati
+1 kerman.
The support from the dealer may be worth hundreds of Euros. Besides, I and many others try hard to support dealers whose business methods and policies are fair towards artists.

#1521898 - 09/24/10 02:38 PM Re: C. Bechstein or Grotrian Steinweg? Please help. [Re: Edgar1974]
hoola Offline

Loc: LA, USA
When I was in France, I tried both Grotrian and Bechstein upright as well as grands, from my memory, I remember that Bechstein's sound is more delicate in the upper side, someone else would say that it's "thinner" (for me, it's heavenly delicate).

The upright of both brands sound very beautiful, so I think that this's a question of personal taste.

When we go to pianos of this caliber, I think that we should try to extend a little bit our budget to get the sound we want, and we should spend a lot of time between the 2 pianos, try, play, torture ... them from every imaginable angles to see how they respond, and the answer will reveal clearly after all these tries.

#1521930 - 09/24/10 03:55 PM Re: C. Bechstein or Grotrian Steinweg? Please help. [Re: Edgar1974]
Steve Cohen Offline

Loc: Maryland/DC/No. VA
I too agree with Keith. However, in my experience the tonality of the pianos differ, not in a better/worse way but different harmonics blends as you change strike.

I would play both again, focusing on the tonality you get in each register with varying strike.

One will likely be preferred.

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.

#1522006 - 09/24/10 06:30 PM Re: C. Bechstein or Grotrian Steinweg? Please help. [Re: Edgar1974]
Norbert Online   content

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
Whenever I have played top flight German pianos, including in their own factories, the element of surprise has always been there.

Sometimes I expected a certain performance and it was not quite there, many times it went the other way around.

The next visitor to factory perhaps had a different perspective and perhaps came to somewhat different conclusion: IMHO this strictly personal knowing full well that all these makers only produce top notch quality.

Norbert

Edited by Norbert (09/24/10 06:32 PM)

#1522253 - 09/25/10 04:21 AM Re: C. Bechstein or Grotrian Steinweg? Please help. [Re: Edgar1974]
Edgar1974 Offline

Thanks for the quick and comprehensive responses. Once I've made my decision, I let it know here.

Sincerely,
Edgar

#1522263 - 09/25/10 06:00 AM Re: C. Bechstein or Grotrian Steinweg? Please help. [Re: Piano*Dad]
Basil Offline

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: Piano*Dad
..... one more thought ....

Your wife plays. Have you ruled out a grand piano for reasons of space? These particular uprights command a high price in the US market, and they don't sell well as far as I know. I suspect they are also expensive in the EU as well. One can acquire a much bigger sounding grand for not a whole lot more money.

They are indeed expensive in the EU (at least the UK), so I can't imagine they sell in huge numbers, but space is probably a more important consideration for most on this side of the water.
Grotrian was a little cheaper than Bechstein when I last looked but that was a while ago, so things may have changed. At this level you can't really go wrong, so it's a nice choice to have!

#1522433 - 09/25/10 02:15 PM Re: C. Bechstein or Grotrian Steinweg? Please help. [Re: Edgar1974]
Pianolance Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Nashville, TN
Both of these pianos are first rate, but, at the risk of throwing a monkey wrench into the whole operation, have you tried a Schimmel? If you have fine, but if you haven't - do yourself a favor and at least try one. You might be blown away, or you might think pass, but you should at least try one. Schimmel makes a great piano and it will be less expensive than your two choices. It's not a cheap piano by any means, but it is reasonable and world class as far as quality. It's definitely worth an audition.

#1522727 - 09/25/10 09:45 PM Re: C. Bechstein or Grotrian Steinweg? Please help. [Re: Edgar1974]
Oz Marcus Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
I think you would be well served by either piano. I agree with Keith +++
schimmel uprights are not bad either ditto the Bluthner upright, but not sure how much they are in Europe
Chopin Prelude Op28 No 15, nocturne Op48 no 1
Bach Prelude & Fuge WTC II No 12 in F minor
Aspiring to Rautavaara - Piano Sonata 2 - Fire Sermon

#1523077 - 09/26/10 01:56 PM Re: C. Bechstein or Grotrian Steinweg? Please help. [Re: Edgar1974]
Rich D. Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Rehoboth Beach De. USA
It would be a very difficult choice for me to make. Both are exceptional uprights. Recommendations on trying other uprights can be endless. My only thought is that if you like the C.Bechstein you many also like their Academy version which sounds great to me as well and a whole lot less expensive.
Good luck with whichever one you choose.

Rich

"Life is like a piano....what you get out of it depends on how you play it"
Anonymous

#1524157 - 09/28/10 07:55 AM Re: C. Bechstein or Grotrian Steinweg? Please help. [Re: Edgar1974]
Rich Galassini Online   content
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia/South Jersey
Just echoing others here, but Keith is "spot on".

I know what I would choose between the two, but I am looking forward to hearing which of the two you chose and how you came to you conclusion, Edgar.

Good Luck!
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Get Cunningham Piano Email Updates

#1524482 - 09/28/10 04:37 PM Re: C. Bechstein or Grotrian Steinweg? Please help. [Re: Edgar1974]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

You have recordings of both? Sometimes you can hear they sound very different on recordings while they sound pretty the same in the shop(s).

I bet these uprights will be expensive... Did you consider a grand instead of an upright?

#1533212 - 10/11/10 03:44 PM Re: C. Bechstein or Grotrian Steinweg? Please help. [Re: Edgar1974]
Edgar1974 Offline

Thank you for all the responses. I'm really appreciate that.

We're still in doubt. Again we have a side by side comparison of the two pianos (Bechstein and Grotrian Steinweg). We have listened to several pieces (Chopin, Bach, Mozart), but we're still in doubt.

That doubt is also because we listened to a Steinway & Sons V-125. That is 'nicer' price than the K-132. We were not in the possibility to made a side by side comparison of the Bechstein, Grotrian Steinweg and the Steinway V-125. That makes it a bit difficult to compare.

Question: If the V-125 may be involved in the comparison, it is automatically the 'winner' (brandwise)?

Edited by Edgar1974 (10/11/10 03:45 PM)

#1533234 - 10/11/10 04:08 PM Re: C. Bechstein or Grotrian Steinweg? Please help. [Re: Edgar1974]
BDB Online   content

Loc: Oakland
I have a slight preference for the Steinway V over the K, but I have only seen old ones from New York, not from Hamburg.

#1533446 - 10/11/10 10:16 PM Re: C. Bechstein or Grotrian Steinweg? Please help. [Re: Edgar1974]
Rich D. Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Rehoboth Beach De. USA
The Bechstein 124 and Grotrian 124 are both exceptional uprights. I suspect the Steinway V-125 is as well though I do not have any personal experience with that model. While Steinway may be the best well known of the top piano makers, Bechstein and Grotrians are certainly in the same class category and as highly regarded by many. Pick the one you like the best but the bottomline is that there are no bad choices here. Good luck.

Rich

"Life is like a piano....what you get out of it depends on how you play it"
Anonymous

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
135 registered (Almaviva, antony, angga888, anotherscott, 40 invisible), 1390 Guests and 51 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74198 Members
42 Forums
153490 Topics
2249175 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Premier Piano of New York
by FenderJazzMan
04/15/14 11:58 PM
Top selling self-taught pianists?
by Sand Tiger
04/15/14 11:06 PM
Just got my MP11!
by Dan Clark
04/15/14 10:18 PM
Cracks in my soundboard??
by Markarian
04/15/14 09:35 PM
OT Heartbleed
by doremi
04/15/14 08:46 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission