2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, 17 invisible), 2,107 guests, and 330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 31 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 30 31
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Welcome back, Mucci & CyberGene! cool

Please note that all of these dual voice settings are free for non-commercial use.

PROFESSIONAL PRESETS DEVELOPMENT FOR KAWAI CA93/CA63
@Kawai James, talking about business: I'm granting KAWAI the right of first refusal for buying and consequently commercially using all of the dual voice presets of this thread (only after purchase), e.g. in one of their upcoming CA93/CA63 firmware updates. whistle

K A W A I ..... R O L A N D ......... E - M U
C A - 9 3 ......... A X - 7 ...... X B O A R D - 4 9
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Just a very short test mp3 file:

http://www.mediafire.com/?vma2ulm6sfrmm33

The file contains a short live demo I played for these settings:

1. The plain pianoteq play patch I use for my layered sound
2. The plain CA63 Concert Grand sound I use for my layered sound
3. My favourite layered sound (1+2)
4. The very nice Steinway patch R2.1 from TADutchman

Feedback on which sound is your favourite one is very much appreciated!

<~ don't test forever - play and enjoy! ~>
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
mucci, thanks for posting the MP3.

To be honest, I like them all, however the layered versions (3 and 4) definitely possess something a little extra...nice long resonances too.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
N
N
Hi All! I'm fairly new to this forum has just taken delivery on a Ca-63 last week. Having left my Kawai upright in London (for my tenants...) whilst working in Tokyo for a while I decided I couldn't last any longer without a piano. I must say I am completely amazed by the tone of touch of digital pianos these days and that goes for all the models I tried (Roland, Kawai and Yamaha). Additionally, huge thanks for TADutchman and Pinipon for pulling all these great fun layers together!

Anyhow - the purpose of this post is to ask a question I have already posed to the Kawai international support line but have yet to receive a response. My CA-63 is the Japanese model for which as far as I can tell the only difference is that you have a setting to switch between English and Japanese. However, it has shipped with version 1.06 of the firmware:
1) Does upgrading to 1.07 make any difference - particularly with the 'layering fun'?
2) Does anyone have a clue whether I can use the European or US upgrade patch as the Japanese web site is totally impenetrable - even in Japanese and I can't find the patch on it...

Apologies for the slightly tangential question - and thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Nick

Hello Nick, welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your new CA63!
week
I have already posed to the Kawai international support line but have yet to receive a response.

Okay, I'll chase this up next week.

My CA-63 is the Japanese model for which as far as I can tell the only difference is that you have a setting to switch between English and Japanese.

There are a handful of minor differences related to the content and operation of the 'Concert Magic' and 'Lesson' functions, however these are relatively minor. The initial Japanese models also lacks a couple of USB Audio features found on the overseas models, however I believe these were subsequently added with the v1.03 firmware. The Japanese models also lack a couple of USB Audio features found on the overseas models.

1) Does upgrading to 1.07 make any difference - particularly with the 'layering fun'?

No, it shouldn't do. The 1.07 updated ironed out a few remaining issues with the string resonance implementation, as well as improving a handful of operations (e.g. remembering the selected sound from each category when switching sounds). However I don't believe software update should influence the layering functionality a great deal, if at all.

2) Does anyone have a clue whether I can use the European or US upgrade patch as the Japanese web site is totally impenetrable - even in Japanese and I can't find the patch on it...

I don't believe there should be able problems using the European CA63 software update on a Japanese model as they both share the same hardware. However, it's probably best if I double-check with the engineering chaps on Tuesday (we're off for Taiku no hi tomorrow...) just to make absolutely sure. If there any compatibility issues with using the European firmware, I can always email the latest Japanese firmware to you directly.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
James
x

EDIT: Confirmed the 'missing' USB Audio features on the Japanese CA93/CA63 models.

N
N
James - thanks so much for your very rapid and detailed response! I will wait on the confirmation that it is OK to upgrade... I plan to enjoy a full day of Rachmaninov tomorrow on our Yasumi no hi - although slightly tempted to go window shopping in the Kawai showroom in Omotesando too.
Many many thanks -
Nick

Hello Nick,

No problem - a pleasure to help.

Enjoy your day of Rachmaninov tomorrow, although I would perhaps suggest saving that rather generous portion of culture for Bunka no hi on November the 3rd. wink

Cheers,
James
x

N
N
Thanks! Unfortunately the way play I Rachmaninov is probably more appropriate for sports day than cultural day. I keep trying though!
Nick

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mucci
Just a very short test mp3 file:

http://www.mediafire.com/?vma2ulm6sfrmm33

The file contains a short live demo I played for these settings:

1. The plain pianoteq play patch I use for my layered sound
2. The plain CA63 Concert Grand sound I use for my layered sound
3. My favourite layered sound (1+2)
4. The very nice Steinway patch R2.1 from TADutchman

Feedback on which sound is your favourite one is very much appreciated!

Thanks for your effort, potentially it is a great comparison, but I´m sorry to report that the recording itself doesn´t seem to work that well, as it doesn´t really reflect reality. I noticed that audio quality is much lower than during live playing and differences between custom settings seem to be quite subtle, while in reality there is nothing subtle about the differences between for instance 2. and 4., as you have already discovered for yourself: grin

UNBELIEVABLE!! MARVELLOUS!! SINGING PIANO!!

It's really like a new instrument, a new sample set, whatever. I never knew that it's possible with the virtual technician to create with some fantasy and creativity such new sounds. I can now really imagine why you named this piano Steinway grand devotion, even if it of course doesn't exactly sound like a Steinway.

Is this the (on-purpose?) standard crippling taking place because of the current CA93/CA63 USB-record implementation (I don´t mean mp3 vs wav differences), sounding mediocre compared to the spectacular sounding live recording and playback with the internal CA93/CA63 sequencer? shocked

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by TADutchman
Is this the (on-purpose?) standard crippling taking place because of the current CA93/CA63 USB-record implementation (I don´t mean mp3 vs wav differences), sounding mediocre compared to the spectacular sounding live recording and playback with the internal CA93/CA63 sequencer? shocked

Hmmm...

This recording was the first direct recording with my new Zoom H1 96khz/24bit recording "gadget" via Line-In which usually produces very high quality recordings. And the quality is indeed much better than the standard USB recording, since I can manually set the gain level to an appropriate level. There is no way to do the recording by direct USB since it would only record the internal sound, not the Pianoteq sound.

BTW, I can hear a big difference between 2 and 4... did you check the sound with good headphones?

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
I agree there is a big difference between 2 and 4 and 4 makes me want to go out and try a CA93 with a printout of TADutchman's posts.

The combination between pianoteq and kawai on board sound on the other hand swims a bit too much for me.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hmmm...

This recording was the first direct recording with my new Zoom H1 96khz/24bit recording "gadget" via Line-In which usually produces very high quality recordings. And the quality is indeed much better than the standard USB recording, since I can manually set the gain level to an appropriate level. There is no way to do the recording by direct USB since it would only record the internal sound, not the Pianoteq sound.

BTW, I can hear a big difference between 2 and 4... did you check the sound with good headphones?

Well, it could be that I have been partly fooled by some less than ideal speakers and headphones mad blush listening in Pulsnitz (Leb/Pfefferkuchenstadt near Dresden), where I have been staying for a few days .
I don´t have any more high-end alternatives at hand, so please hold your horses until I arrive back home this week. whistle

Originally Posted by theJourney
I agree there is a big difference between 2 and 4 and 4 makes me want to go out and try a CA93 with a printout of TADutchman's posts.
@TheJourney: thanks for giving your feedback in the meantime. cool

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by theJourney

The combination between pianoteq and kawai on board sound on the other hand swims a bit too much for me.

Yes, TADutchmans patches are really refreshingly different and a clear improvement over factory sounds!

You're also right, the Pianoteq/CA63 combi sounds a little muddy when you directly compare it with the Steinway patch. On the other side, you need to modify your playing style to accurately play this combi because of the long decay, and this was not possible during the very short comparison, so this might also be a reason for your finding.

But what's also true is that with the new combi patches the call is much more difficult even for me on which patch to prefer! I think it strongly depends on what kind of music I will play.

Last edited by mucci; 10/11/10 04:54 PM.

NickTokyo, while I believe you should already have received a response to your initial overseas support request, it's perhaps best that I also respond to your query in this thread.

After speaking with the R&D chaps, I can confirm that it is perfectly safe to apply the European v1.07 software update (and future updates) on your Japanese CA63.

Kind regards,
James
x

N
N
James!
Thanks so much for your super quick and helpful suggestions. All perfectly updated and re-regionalised too! Not only delighted with the instrument now - but the superb service too!
Thanks
Nick

Hello Nick,

Glad to here that the update/region change was successful.

By the way, if you ever have a chance to take a shot of the CA63 in your home, please do feel free to add the picture to this thread.

Cheers,
James
x

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member

Yes, now I did and indeed the difference is somewhat more pronounced (probably as far as an MP3-encoded file with DAC and ADC conversions can go). Thanks for pinpointing! smile

Still, I would strongly recommend towards Kawai a perfect rendition out of the box with full 32/24-bit WAV USB-record and/or conversion functionality, containing the identical high-end playback quality and volume level (with compression/limiter) of the internal CA93/CA63 track recorder! (essentially having no ADC/DAC/16-bit/no-dithering/MP3/sample rate conversion losses).

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
TADutchman, I did a 48khz/24bit recording. No 16bit/dithering whatever. And you can be sure that the MP3 I generated is indistinguishable from the original WAV recording. I tested that on other occasions with double blind tests. If you doubt this I can send you the original WAV file and you can test for yourself. Since the internal USB recording is not a digital recording as Kawai James already stated, it also uses a DAC and ADC step, so also this should not cause any differences.

To sum this up: I'm sure that my (external) recording with my Zoom H1 produces at least the same high quality recording than by using the internal USB-recording (as I said maybe even better due to custom gain control).

BTW the internal track recorder does only record individual MIDI notes, its not an audio recorder. That's a big difference! So when it "plays back" the recording, it is actually producing the original sound again by playing like it would do with an external keyboard that is connected via MIDI-IN.

Last edited by mucci; 10/12/10 05:56 PM.

P
P
TADutchman, you've made another great job: your Steinway "supercharged" 2.1 is really a BIG ONE!! I like the effect for open-lid, half open and closed-lid: is very realistic thumb

the PUB PIANO SING-A-LONG 1.0 smokin could be also called:
WESTERN WOODEN SCOTT JOPLIN PIANO 1.0 laugh ha wink

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
To sum this up: I'm sure that my (external) recording with my Zoom H1 produces at least the same high quality recording than by using the internal USB-recording (as I said maybe even better due to custom gain control).

Don't worry, I'm already convinced that your recording is better than the current direct recording to USB implementation. cool

BTW the internal track recorder does only record individual MIDI notes, its not an audio recorder. That's a big difference! So when it "plays back" the recording, it is actually producing the original sound again by playing like it would do with an external keyboard that is connected via MIDI-IN.

Yes, that's how it works. Now, to be more exact, my recommendation towards Kawai is that us users will get functionality to easily make a high-end lossless 32-bit float/24-bit copy without sample rate conversion of the audio playback part, just before it goes through the DAC(s) to the CA93/CA63 speaker-system (a low volume recording with some headroom, using let's say 'only' 22-bit, would still be okay). wink

Page 7 of 31 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 30 31

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission