2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (brennbaer, accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,808 guests, and 316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
debrucey #1533032 10/11/10 11:07 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by debrucey
Thats a good point stores. Why would anyone be jealous of someone they believe to suck? Doesn't really make sense.

So true, you read it on youtube all the time. Lang Lang sucks, ow your just jealous!!

Still, Lola can play topless, it would be ´new´ and ´pop´ and very ´unclassical´, so entirely her style.

Currently working on: Perfecting the Op 2/1, studying the 27/2 last movement. Chopin Nocturne 32/2 and Posth. C#m, 'Raindrop' prelude and Etude 10/9
Repetoire: Beethoven op 2/1, 10/1(1st, 2nd), 13, 14/1, 27/1(1st, 2nd), 27/2, 28(1st, 2nd), 31/2(1st, 3rd), 49/1, 49/2, 78(1st), 79, 90, 101(1st)
Bech #1533409 10/11/10 09:04 PM
This incredible array of unhealthy and very hostile messages only supports my point. I'd suggest you look inside and find the reason why a person who simply plays the piano, and does it rather well triggers such a reaction. I can only draw parallel with Paderewsky, Liszt, Paganini etc. History my friends, they were all called what you are calling Lola today. I think students, which most of you are, feel somewhat threatened by her combination of qualities, that's all. Also, it is very much a student mentality to laugh at anybody who dares to compare Argerich to a young person. I bet Stores, you did not listen to the two versions of the sonata I was referring to. I bet you did not listen to both (in professional headphones) several times, the way I did, before forming an opinion and shooting back at me with disdain. In your stagnant mind the answer will never change because you grew up perceiving Argerich as an established legend who can do no wrong. (Very safe and risk free position.) Therefore your opinion is very superficial and based purely on the "name" behind the playing and not the playing itself.
Pogorelich, by the tone of your comments I presume you are a woman? Well, your reaction is very clear to me and I am not going to aggravate you any further. Allow me to say, however, that in my view Gergiev is the most self-centered, egotistical human being to ever live, who makes vanity itself look humble. I have friends who played in his orchestra and trust me, you don't want to know what they think of him. One look is enough to see it, but I wouldn't expect you to decipher it because as it is (correctly) pointed out in your profile, you are after all, in the state of denial. The good news for you is you are not alone. Ironically, your idol Gergiev clearly thought quite highly of Lola's playing. Guess he needs a new set of ears as well.

Bech #1533412 10/11/10 09:10 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Your ranting is confusing. It seems that you find it incomprehensible that anybody could have a legitimate reason for disliking your idol.

Bech #1533426 10/11/10 09:31 PM
S
S
Eh, I've only viewed 2 of her videos -- Chopin's Ocean Etude and Fantasie Impromptu. I enjoyed the first, but the second was (in my opinion) inferior to yundi li's.

As for the op's challenge -- depends on what you mean by "exciting." wink

Bech #1533478 10/11/10 11:11 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Guldesque

Pogorelich, by the tone of your comments I presume you are a woman? Well, your reaction is very clear to me and I am not going to aggravate you any further. Allow me to say, however, that in my view Gergiev is the most self-centered, egotistical human being to ever live, who makes vanity itself look humble. I have friends who played in his orchestra and trust me, you don't want to know what they think of him. One look is enough to see it, but I wouldn't expect you to decipher it because as it is (correctly) pointed out in your profile, you are after all, in the state of denial. The good news for you is you are not alone. Ironically, your idol Gergiev clearly thought quite highly of Lola's playing. Guess he needs a new set of ears as well.

By the tone of my comments..? That was uncalled for.

Really, Gergiev is self-centered? Not that my statement had anything to do with his personality, but ok.. That man has done and continues to do more for music than anyone else right now, possibly. And the most important thing is that he does it well. When he is on stage, the MUSIC matters - whether he is an egoist or not, in your view, is irrelevant because it does not come through in the way he makes music. Which I really don't find with your friend Lola.

And I'm not surprised he supported her: there are certain politics involved in music. Did you know he also recorded with Lang Lang? Same thing. Also, I'm not one of those people who will believe things because other people believe them. Feel free to like her - art is subjective. I don't like Argerich, so your comparison doesn't do much for me..

P.S. "state of denial" is a joke, you know, the ha-ha type of thing.

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
Bech #1533529 10/12/10 12:59 AM
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
I didn't like her rachmaninoff sonata, nor her Scriabin Etude in c sharp minor. She deviates from the score a lot and at times just disturbs tempo heavily, or plays in an inappropriate mood. How am I qualified to say these things? Well I've studied the scores...and it's clear that she doesn't really.

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

Bech #1533549 10/12/10 01:57 AM
F
F
"rawrrrrrrrr" just heard a lion roar!!! (>__<) haha

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I cannot believe all the criticism I read here.

BELIEVE IT. grin

It is very judgmental to downplay her tremendous abilities and talent because of her physical beauty.....

I DON'T THINK ANYONE IS DOING THAT HERE.

But lets face it there hasn't ever been a female performer who was so unapologetically striking, whose look was so uncomfortably sexy that it was hard to concentrate on the music.

OR WHO DISPLAYS SO MUCH OF HER ANATOMY IN HER VIDEOS - THUS MAKING IT DIFFICULT FOR SOME FOLKS TO TAKE HER SERIOUSLY.

Her playing is intellectual and coherent and she is a natural, instinctive interpreter who happens to have great technique on top of that.

APPARENTLY THE VERDICT IS STILL OUT ON THAT. IT WILL BE INTERESTING TO SEE HOW WELL-KNOWN AND RESPECTED MS. ASTANOVA IS TEN YEARS FROM NOW.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
This incredible array of unhealthy and very hostile messages only supports my point. I'd suggest you look inside and find the reason why a person who simply plays the piano, and does it rather well triggers such a reaction. I can only draw parallel with Paderewsky, Liszt, Paganini etc. History my friends, they were all called what you are calling Lola today. I think students, which most of you are, feel somewhat threatened by her combination of qualities, that's all. Also, it is very much a student mentality to laugh at anybody who dares to compare Argerich to a young person. I bet Stores, you did not listen to the two versions of the sonata I was referring to. I bet you did not listen to both (in professional headphones) several times, the way I did, before forming an opinion and shooting back at me with disdain. In your stagnant mind the answer will never change because you grew up perceiving Argerich as an established legend who can do no wrong. (Very safe and risk free position.) Therefore your opinion is very superficial and based purely on the "name" behind the playing and not the playing itself.

In professional headphones...hahahahaha...God, will someone help me up off the floor? Is Lola paying you? She MUST be, since no one with a clue would say such idiotic things. You sir/madam are a joke and I CONTINUE to laugh at you and your comparison to Argerich, Horowitz, et al. and have no problem with your label of "student" as I AM, and shall always be, a student of great music, but in the literal sense, no, I am not a student, but a teacher of many (and for many years).

By the way, I didn't grow up listening to, or even knowing WHO Argerich was...I didn't discover her until my university years. My appreciation for her artistry is NOT based on her name. I do not believe that she is some goddess who can do no wrong (in fact her penchant for speed and her Bach, specifically, both disappoint me greatly).

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

Bech #1533726 10/12/10 09:38 AM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
It also has nothing to do with "beauty" - I'm certainly not threatened =) and I'm not saying she's bad - she has the execution to be really good (hey, so does LL), but when someone puts themselves before the music, then that's it for me.. And why should I feel bad about having that opinion?

Bech #1533936 10/12/10 02:35 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Well Liszt boobs certainly weren´t as distracting as hers.

Currently working on: Perfecting the Op 2/1, studying the 27/2 last movement. Chopin Nocturne 32/2 and Posth. C#m, 'Raindrop' prelude and Etude 10/9
Repetoire: Beethoven op 2/1, 10/1(1st, 2nd), 13, 14/1, 27/1(1st, 2nd), 27/2, 28(1st, 2nd), 31/2(1st, 3rd), 49/1, 49/2, 78(1st), 79, 90, 101(1st)
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.
It also has nothing to do with "beauty" - I'm certainly not threatened =) and I'm not saying she's bad - she has the execution to be really good (hey, so does LL), but when someone puts themselves before the music, then that's it for me.. And why should I feel bad about having that opinion?

That's an interesting comment, considering that many consider Ivo Pogorelich to be someone who puts himself before the music (or rather, the intentions of the composer). It was apparently the reason why he was eliminated from the Chopin competition.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Frozenicicles

That's an interesting comment, considering that many consider Ivo Pogorelich to be someone who puts himself before the music (or rather, the intentions of the composer). It was apparently the reason why he was eliminated from the Chopin competition.

Yeah that's what a lot of people think.. but if you've ever read any interviews with him or books on him, it's not true. I mean, I never got that through the music anyway, but you can get it confirmed in writing =) Come on, how can you even compare him to Ms Lola? Pogorelich is an artist.

Last edited by Pogorelich.; 10/12/10 11:34 PM.

Carey #1534326 10/13/10 01:16 AM
From the videos I've seen, she wears jeans and simple shirts, (perhaps I've missed the topless ones, if you find any, do share). While somehow majority of female pianists these days are wearing cleavage baring red hot numbers and showing much more skin than Lola ever did, yet nobody seems to complain. Go figure! I suppose it is acceptable for flat chested and/or not so attractive ladies.
In any case, Lola still has a lot of playing to do, and cover a lot more repertoire and I myself would be curious to see where she is going to be in 10 years. I am impressed so far.
I have to say it is very difficult to have a sensible discussion here because A) most people here are kids who are yet to hit puberty, who seem to have all the answers ( oh, good ol' teenage years) B)cannot support their argument with anything other than "oh this sucks AHAHAHAHA you are an idiot, I said so, therefore it's a fact". For people like Stores, a piece of advice: It is not always good to be a student. One must transition from being a student to being an artist. Students follow what artists do, not the other way around. With your boxed mentality you will always follow others and nobody will follow you. Then again, why would they? aAHAHAHAHA.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
From the videos I've seen, she wears jeans and simple shirts....

You criticize the level of discussion in these forums, and then turn around and insult one of its members? Really?

-J

I have not insulted anyone. I can support my opinions and fyi I am the one who's been insulted and called an idiot, fool etc. The level of discussion on this particular topic is amusing, yes.

Bech #1534331 10/13/10 01:27 AM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Well, you did insult him, but then he did call your views idiotic, so, whatever, fair is fair. smile

peace--

-J

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Frozenicicles

Yeah that's what a lot of people think.. but if you've ever read any interviews with him or books on him, it's not true. I mean, I never got that through the music anyway, but you can get it confirmed in writing =) Come on, how can you even compare him to Ms Lola? Pogorelich is an artist.

Haha, I didn't directly compare him to Lola. But honestly, I find the majority of his interpretations to be bizarre, especially the ones that are so slow that they're not going anywhere. At what point do you cross over from being artistic to just plain weird? Also, many of his interviews do focus a lot on himself, but that might be just the nosy interviewers. I remember reading one comment about his wife's liver exploding all over him that made me go ??? because I'm pretty sure that's a huge stretch of the truth. Are you a fan of his pre-retirement works or his current ones? I've read some pretty scathing recent reviews of his performances.

Bottom line - putting a healthy dose of yourself into the music can make you stand out. Pogorelich, Lola, and LL all have that in common, even if it's not to our tastes.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
From the videos I've seen, she wears jeans and simple shirts, (perhaps I've missed the topless ones, if you find any, do share). While somehow majority of female pianists these days are wearing cleavage baring red hot numbers and showing much more skin than Lola ever did, yet nobody seems to complain. Go figure! I suppose it is acceptable for flat chested and/or not so attractive ladies.
In any case, Lola still has a lot of playing to do, and cover a lot more repertoire and I myself would be curious to see where she is going to be in 10 years. I am impressed so far.
I have to say it is very difficult to have a sensible discussion here because A) most people here are kids who are yet to hit puberty, who seem to have all the answers ( oh, good ol' teenage years) B)cannot support their argument with anything other than "oh this sucks AHAHAHAHA you are an idiot, I said so, therefore it's a fact". For people like Stores, a piece of advice: It is not always good to be a student. One must transition from being a student to being an artist. Students follow what artists do, not the other way around. With your boxed mentality you will always follow others and nobody will follow you. Then again, why would they? aAHAHAHAHA.

Your first paragraph is exactly what's wrong with most people's ears these days...they're not listening, they're looking. Who cares what she wears? Who cares how big her boobs are? What on earth the visual has to do with making music is beyond me. When you learn to pull your head out of your pants and stop thinking with little Guldie, get yourself an education, and learn to truly listen, then you will begin speaking from an informed stance and not one founded on blissful ignorance.
A real musician is, always will be, and will always consider himself to be, a student, because the learning process is never complete. Where you err here (outside of the fact that you clearly can't read what I formerly wrote in this regard) is that a true student does not follow any artist, but is a student of great music itself. I wouldn't expect someone who has made the claims you have to understand these things (clearly your student days have only just begun).

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

Bech #1534399 10/13/10 04:52 AM
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Problem, Guldesque , is that the whole thread sounds like a promotion stunt. Out of nowhere someone opens a thread about LA, stating she's the nex Horowitz. That's just laughable.

I d never watched the Chopin competition before this year. And i think LA wouldn 't have a chance of winning it, after watching her vids and watching the Chopin contestants. That gives some 40-50 new to-be-Horowitz.

Wouldn't it be better to just expose her videos and wait for people's honest opinions? Instead of shoving her art down people 's throats with statements like she s the new Horowitz, which do her no favours by the way.

The thread did a good job in promoting Gavrilyuk though. That guy doesn 't need undercover promotion, his playing seems to be enough to do the job.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission