2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
30 members (Animisha, brennbaer, Cominut, crab89, aphexdisklavier, fullerphoto, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 4 invisible), 1,182 guests, and 269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1533522 10/12/10 12:39 AM
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
I have a flute piece marked as moderato, with a quarter note=76. But the piece only contains sixteenth notes, so it actually doesn't sound moderato when you play it.
Isn't the indication moderato in such a case somewhat inaccurate?

Thank you for your opinion! smile

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Actually, I can easily imagine that sounding totally moderato, depending on the piece (and depending on the 'tone' and 'attack') -- and in fact I would think those notes at that tempo would usually sound moderato.

Maybe if you tell us what piece it is, maybe including a youtube link......

BTW: And if that speed doesn't sound moderato, I would suggest that you're putting it backwards in terms of what would be "inaccurate": more likely it would be the M.M. that's inaccurate, not the "moderato." IMO, in general the opening tempo indication of a piece is the single most important and rock-solid marking in the whole piece. Everything else revolves around that, and if something seems not to fit with it, I would say it means either that the other thing is wrong or that we're interpreting one or the other thing incorrectly.

P.S. Anyway, as you probably know, M.M's are just guidelines....

Last edited by Mark_C; 10/12/10 01:02 AM.
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
I once heard it "live" (from another student), but I cannot find it on YouTube (they seem to only have the easiest exercises in that book, which is Köhler Op.33). It is actually just an exercise, not really a piece as I had written in my OP.
It exclusively has sixteenth notes, but yes, obviously the moderato refers to the main beats you have to feel in your system, (there are 4 groups of sixteenth notes in each measure, the beamed notes being 6, not 4, that is to say sextuplets). You just have to feel those beats in your system and it will feel moderato. I could scan it, but that is actually all there is to it...

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Moderato should refer to whatever is intended to be felt as the main beat, assuming the composer didn't make a mistake which of course we hope not. The main beat can feel a certain way and then have a lot of faster or slower notes added to it, but the indication is still accurate.

If it makes sense in this case, try to un-accent the majority of the sixteenth notes. If you lighten the piece up by taking away excess accents and instead letting the music flow toward the few accents that do matter, it might play faster but feel slower.

(I'm a piano teacher.)
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
I don't understand why you say it doesn't sound moderato. It's up to the performer to convey that sense, and I don't see any obvious reason why that would be unusually difficult, as you have described the music. A steady stream of sixteenths at MM=76 seems very moderato to me, but then, all kinds of details of the score are missing from my picture - are there big angular leaps?, complicated articulations? etc. etc. - all of which affect the 'feel' of the tempo.

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
There are some big angular leaps, yes.
But all in all I am starting to see it as more moderato now, I am starting to get a feel for it.

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
there is this pianopiece with tempo indication Allegretto, which (could/should) mean: not too fast, but not sluggish, by no means extremely hurried, and yet it sounds incredibly speedy, because of it being written in 32nd notes, it's called Feux follets, by Liszt. Everything is relative...

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
Originally Posted by dolce sfogato
there is this pianopiece with tempo indication Allegretto, which (could/should) mean: not too fast, but not sluggish, by no means extremely hurried, and yet it sounds incredibly speedy, because of it being written in 32nd notes, it's called Feux follets, by Liszt. Everything is relative...

Great example of how "tempo" indications aren't just about speed, or even mainly about speed.

They're more about feeling and spirit.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission