2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
40 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,179 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
LOL! I'm glad I'm self-employed! laugh

Now, to fix those wobbly hammers...

Last edited by Cinnamonbear; 10/12/10 11:29 AM.

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
P
P
Cinnamonbear,
That was so pretty--beautiful arrangement and beautiful playing!

I wasn't familiar with George Shearing arrangements before, and I just bought one of his old books from Ebay! Can't wait to get it.

Another wonderful arrangement of "Over the Rainbow" is Roger William's piano solo arrangement. If anyone wants to post the first page of it, I could email it--I'm not sure how to post pictures and scans yet. You can sometimes find a lot of old Roger William's arrangements on Ebay.

Talking about arrangements--is anyone familiar with Eddy Duchin arrangements? I bought a few of his old "Piano Styles" books from Ebay, but I am finding them to be a lot more difficult than most "song" arrangements. He must have had very long fingers--there are huge chords.

Kathy

"[Linked Image]"
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Thank you, Playagain! But, I don't want to be the only one to post a Shearing fave! Let's hear 'em, people! grin

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
btb #1533819 10/12/10 12:17 PM
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
applause, Cinnamonbear - I should get that book, too - it would be perfect for my adult day care, retirement home, and Alzheimer's gigs.

Nice thread, btb!

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Cinnamonbear

Let's hear 'em, people! grin

Nice one Cinnamonbear. I love that arrangement. When I first got into jazz harmony I used to play and study that one a lot, so many thanks for refreshing my memory of it. It's a long time since I heard it.

Here is one of mine, 'Tenderly', in kind of a Shearing inspired harmonic style but with my own harmonic twists.

http://www.divshare.com/download/12820166-687

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Playagain

Another wonderful arrangement of "Over the Rainbow" is Roger William's piano solo arrangement.

The Williams' 2 page "Rainbow" arrangement is simple, effective, and beautiful.

His arrangement of "Ebb Tide" in the same book is even better. I've been able to get a lot of mileage out of "Ebb Tide" at parties and receptions over the years !! grin

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Carey #1534174 10/12/10 08:54 PM
P
P
HI, Carey,
The Roger Williams "Over the Rainbow" that I have is 3 pages, and it's not the same one that's in his book called, "Contemporary Piano Solos, Vol 1." That one is 2 pages, so I bet that's the one you have.

I don't know if this arrangement is in any of his books. I got it from my piano teacher over 20 years ago--she was an elderly lady who loved Roger Williams, so she introduced me to his wonderful arrangements. The version I have looks a bit more difficult than the 2 page arrangement.

I just ordered a used copy of his Piano Interpretations 1, which I didn't have--I see it has Ebb Tide! I love so many of his pieces! Thanks!
Kathy

"[Linked Image]"
P
P
I love your rendition of "Tenderly." Beautiful!
Kathy

"[Linked Image]"
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by beeboss

Let's hear 'em, people! grin

Nice one Cinnamonbear. I love that arrangement. When I first got into jazz harmony I used to play and study that one a lot, so many thanks for refreshing my memory of it. It's a long time since I heard it.

Here is one of mine, 'Tenderly', in kind of a Shearing inspired harmonic style but with my own harmonic twists.

http://www.divshare.com/download/12820166-687

Ha-ha! THAT's what I'm talkin' about!!! laugh That is GORGEOUS, beeboss! Beautiful ideas throughout!!! Man, you can PLAY! You really take it around! grin

Very nicely recorded, too, BTW! Top notch mix, and I love the clarity of the drums and the bass, especially the bass, which is often a muddy mess in jazz combo recordings! It sounds so good, I have to ask--it is a big ol' stand up acoustic? Thank you so much for sharing this one!

O.K. Who's next? smile

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.

Originally Posted by Playagain
HI, Carey,
The Roger Williams "Over the Rainbow" that I have is 3 pages, and it's not the same one that's in his book called, "Contemporary Piano Solos, Vol 1." That one is 2 pages, so I bet that's the one you have.

I don't know if this arrangement is in any of his books. I got it from my piano teacher over 20 years ago--she was an elderly lady who loved Roger Williams, so she introduced me to his wonderful arrangements. The version I have looks a bit more difficult than the 2 page arrangement.

I just ordered a used copy of his Piano Interpretations 1, which I didn't have--I see it has Ebb Tide! I love so many of his pieces! Thanks!
Kathy

Hi Kathy !!

You're gonna like the Ebb Tide arrangement !!!

I mentioned this earlier in this thread BUT....... on October 1st, Roger Williams celebrated his 86th birthday by playing a 12 hour marathon concert at the new Musical Instrument Museum here in Phoenix. I volunteer at the museum - and happened to be on duty that day. The place was packed with senior citizens !! The largest single day attendance since the museum opened in April. I couldn't get close enough to actually SEE Williams perform - but since he was set up in the atrium, the sound carried through all the galleries. The man still plays like he did fifty years ago - very inspiring !!

Last edited by carey; 10/12/10 10:53 PM.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Carey #1534244 10/12/10 11:07 PM
P
P
HI, Carey,
Wow, I would have loved to have been there to hear him play! What a neat birthday celebration for him and for everyone!

I saw him once about 25 years ago--he was fantastic, and he took requests from the audience. My daughter's favorite song was "Roger's Bumblebee," when she was little, and she kept yelling out that name for him to play it. He turned toward her and smiled at her and played it. smile Neat memories!

It's amazing that he could play for 12 hours! And at 86 years old! So neat that he plays like 50 years ago! He is very inspiring.

Kathy

"[Linked Image]"
btb #1534351 10/13/10 02:12 AM
btb Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Hi c/bear,

Thanks for the Over The Rainbow score ... Shearing interpretation.

Page 3 (top right) would suggest that there might be other pages ... I’m battling to reconcile your playing with the score sent ... there seem to be about 12 measures missing up front ... it’s only at m3 that it matched your playing ... at m5 and m6 you roll the chords and at m8 there is a slowing down for the tricky LH contribution.

But thanks again for the score ... I’ve played through a few times ... it’s only at m7 that the Theme comes to light as a one-note sequence.

btb #1534366 10/13/10 02:39 AM
btb Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Started out going gaga about George Shearing’s interpretation of David Raksin’s “Laura” when the first page was presented ... glad to report that there has been a follow-up ... Rui has obviously mastered p1 and has asked for the 2nd page ...
no sooner said, than done.
[Linked Image]

btb #1534370 10/13/10 02:42 AM
R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
I've actually been a long time admirer of this particular rendition. I came across this by accident for the first time Junior year in high school. One of my favorite Jazz standards. =)

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B

Ha-ha! THAT's what I'm talkin' about!!! laugh That is GORGEOUS, beeboss! Beautiful ideas throughout!!! Man, you can PLAY! You really take it around! grin

Very nicely recorded, too, BTW! Top notch mix, and I love the clarity of the drums and the bass, especially the bass, which is often a muddy mess in jazz combo recordings! It sounds so good, I have to ask--it is a big ol' stand up acoustic? Thank you so much for sharing this one!

Thanks Cinnamonbear. It was a long time ago so I don't remember exactly what piano it was. Steinway B I think.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Ha-ha, beeboss! The piano did sound wonderful, and I especially liked the deep bass touches you did in the solo section. But, I was actually asking about the stand up string bass! blush Reason being, with all the electric innovations on acoustic instruments, I wondered if it was simply the real wooden thing mic'd and recorded well, or if it was some new-fangled string bass instrument.

Thanks for pulling it out of the archives! I've listened to it several times, already!

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
btb #1534565 10/13/10 11:21 AM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by btb
Hi c/bear,

Thanks for the Over The Rainbow score ... Shearing interpretation.

Page 3 (top right) would suggest that there might be other pages ... I’m battling to reconcile your playing with the score sent ... there seem to be about 12 measures missing up front ... it’s only at m3 that it matched your playing ... at m5 and m6 you roll the chords and at m8 there is a slowing down for the tricky LH contribution.

But thanks again for the score ... I’ve played through a few times ... it’s only at m7 that the Theme comes to light as a one-note sequence.

Well, btb, there's a 3 at the top of the second page of "Laura," too! grin

Since reconcilliation is one of my prime interests in life, let me see if I can help...

First of all, as far as notes/chords go, I tried to be very, very careful to play all of them, and only the ones printed, based on Pianoloverus's assertion that this "simple" arrangement was not very special! The only note I changed was in m24, where, for the last LH note in that measure, I went up to the Ab instead of back down to the F. I thought it set up an "Here's another idea coming" better that way, and kept the "upward hope momentum" going (which is why I played that note "ppp," since hope is such an ethereal thing when it is missing the substance of faith to support it). I also wanted to add a low, low Eb at the end of the piece, but I resisted, because it wasn't in the score. Normally, I would have done such a thing! smile Also, just so you know, at m26, I played the grace note/eighth note figure in triplet fashion, and in the second to the last measure (m35), played the eighth notes in quarter note time.

In order to find the pulse for the movement of the "song" the way I felt it needed to be played, I followed the eighth notes. So, if you count it in 8, with an eighth note getting one beat, that might help clear up the reading.

At m5 (and m13), I paused at the 2nd eighth note, because if I played it straight, that whole turn became a muddy mess. Pausing and then running up to the melody chord sounded cleaner, and definitely meaningful (to my ears and heart, anyway...) and gave the song forward and upward momentum there (as if to say, "someday, I'm going over that rainbow!").

At m8, I paused for the completion of the "verse," and to let the transition notes (what you called the "tricky LH contribution") make their own statement, and leading the listener (hopefully) to a softer touch on the first melody chord that starts verse 2, but with a more forcefully dramatic touch on the second melody chord and following, as if to say, "Did you hear me??? I said...!"

If you want to know the back story, I punched the first chord of the piece to say, "I'm angry. This is a beautiful arrangement." Then, I punched the second chord of verse 2 to say, "I'm still angry! I'm saying it again! Variation on the theme, buster!" Today, I would play it differently.

I'm not angry at Pianoloverus, anymore. Well, today... Yet. wink

So, in the interest of education and fair use of copyrighted materials, let's try it this way,

Over the Rainbow--George Shearing arr., played by me

1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8...

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Hope this helps!

--Andy

Last edited by Cinnamonbear; 10/13/10 12:33 PM. Reason: added some clarification

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
R
R

That is a really nice version of over the rainbow. I really liked the slow tempo you used. I think a lot can be learned from the way shearing voices the chords, and the substitutions he makes. And if this really was originally published in 1954, I think its pretty ground breaking for those days. Especially considering it was published for mass consumption. Somehow I have a more modern edition of this (though it looks like the notes are the same.)

Well, either because of Pianoloverus, or in spite of him (that's a friendly punch in the arm, PL'us!) I played hookey from work today and practiced and practiced until I could play Over The Rainbow well enough to record it tonight. So, here it is--my contribution to the "'George Shearing Interpretations for Piano" Book Series E-cital."

Over The Rainbow, by Harburg and Arlen, "George Shearing Interpretations for Piano," book No.1, [the red one...] (New York: Robbins Music Corp., 1954).

This rendition is fairly faithful to the simple printing on the two pages. smirk (Sorry, PL... I'm still letting off steam!) I didn't add anything, but I did fiddle with the timing as the music led me, and I rolled some chords here and there, and I changed one note. But, like my grandma always said, the notes on the page are just to get you started! I would like to dedicate this recording to our PW friend ChopinAddict, because I think she likes this kind of stuff, and she's been so encouraging to me when I post my recordings.

This is played in my living room on the Haddorff 56" upright, recently tuned to the EBVT III temperament by Bill Bremmer, RPT. The recording is not enhanced with reverb or EQ or anything. This is the way the Haddorff sounds. Sorry about the microphone hiss. There are a few unisons out of tune already in the upper registers (loose pins), and the bridge is cracked at D6, so that one is way out of tune until we can get that fixed. Also, my apologies to Jerry Groot, RPT, because a week ago, I promised him I would take the action out and start replacing the hammer butt plates to keep from destroying the hammer butts by playing with wobbly hammers. (If you listen closely, you can hear those clackers!) I am a day late, so I am sure in his eyes, I am a low-life weasle for not keeping my word. But this was an emergency!!! Sorry, Jer!

--Andy

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Hey, Mr. Winitsky! Thanks! I'm not sure how groundbreaking the publication was, really. I've learned a little, lately, about the publication of popular music in the first half of the 20th cenutury.* At that time (1954) there was something of a resurgence of people buying pianos for their homes--pianos of the spinet variety! Cheap and affordable. People were still listening to radio and records and still making their own music in the living room. There was demand for accessible, printed, popular music, and George Shearing's stylings certainly fit the bill in a number of ways! An aside, by way of illustration here--I happen to have an original copy of the "Mary Poppins Souvenir Song Album" from 1965 (music and lyrics by Richard and Robert Sherman). According to Wikipedia, the film was "the #1 moneymaker of 1965." I would not be surprised to find that my dad bought this book at the movie theater when the movie was over. My sister and I sat at the piano bench while he played all of the songs in that book, over and over again! It was BETTER than TV (which was black and white in our house at the time)! grin The arrangements are similarly accessible, and yet very thoughtfully rich, full and colorful, and stand on their own played note for note, as these "simple" Shearing arrangements do.

I'll leave it to the true historians to flesh all of that out, but that's my impression, anyway, and I hope it paints a picture for you.

BTW, I listened to your rendition of the Lou Stein arr. of Over The Rainbow on your Piano Society page. You play very cleanly! I like the way you bring out the rag elements in that version. Have you posted anything at PW, yet?

--Andy

_________
* Please see "Haddorff Postcard No.5" in Member Recordings (clickable link)

Last edited by Cinnamonbear; 10/13/10 12:43 PM.

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
R
R
Hey Thanks Andy!

I remember at the time thinking that Lou Stein did an OK job sort of moving between stride, open voicings, and walking bass lines. I agree with these arrangements being accessible yet rich and colorful. Something my piano teacher would say about coming up with arrangements, its best to start out with the simplest yet effective arrangement possible, and then slowly build upon it.

Anyway I also think the Shearing arrangement is just as effective today as it was in 1954 smile

Stan

BTW, I listened to your rendition of the Lou Stein arr. of Over The Rainbow on your Piano Society page. You play very cleanly! I like the way you bring out the rag elements in that version. Have you posted anything at PW, yet?

--Andy

_________
* Please see "Haddorff Postcard No.5" in Member Recordings (clickable link)

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission