Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1534970 - 10/13/10 10:52 PM How to practice arpeggios and broken chords?
PianoMath Offline

Hey peopple.

Can you give me some tips to pratice arpeggios and broken chords? I don't know the right fingering to do it. I also need the fingering to play broken chords when i keep changing the inversions.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1534975 - 10/13/10 11:08 PM Re: How to practice arpeggios and broken chords? [Re: PianoMath]
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Pretty much whatever is comfortable. Just be consistent so you're not changing the fingering each time you play it. Any particular passages in music you're working on?

Edited by Morodiene (10/13/10 11:08 PM)
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#1535003 - 10/13/10 11:52 PM Re: How to practice arpeggios and broken chords? [Re: PianoMath]
custard apple Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney
hi pm
I assume you're talking about classical arpeggios and not jazz. There is a section in the Hanon book which shows you the correct fingering.
But ultimaely it's up to you to figure out the optimal fingering. As Morodiene says, keep your fingering consistent from key to key.

#1535108 - 10/14/10 03:14 AM Re: How to practice arpeggios and broken chords? [Re: PianoMath]
Dror Perl Offline

Loc: NY
the Hanon is a great suggestion. If you can read notes I suggest also that you check:
Czerny school of velocity
it deals a lot with arpeggios and fingering and unlike the Hanon these are actual compositions so you have less chances to get bored (:

http://www.sheerpiano.com/

Sheer Piano: The First Full Color Piano Music Books

#1535119 - 10/14/10 03:51 AM Re: How to practice arpeggios and broken chords? [Re: PianoMath]
david_a Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Jazz arpeggios have the same fingering as classical ones, because the jazz piano and the classical piano have the same keys. smile
(Or is the point only that classical piano students don't practice arpeggios over enough different types of chords?)

#1535155 - 10/14/10 06:18 AM Re: How to practice arpeggios and broken chords? [Re: david_a]
custard apple Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Yeah, I had never thought about it that explicitly !
As you say, the same notes but jazz covers a greater variety of chords.

#1535194 - 10/14/10 08:17 AM Re: How to practice arpeggios and broken chords? [Re: Dror Perl]
PianoMath Offline

Originally Posted By: Dror Perl
the Hanon is a great suggestion. If you can read notes I suggest also that you check:
it deals a lot with arpeggios and fingering and unlike the Hanon these are actual compositions so you have less chances to get bored (:

Yeah! I may check this now. Thanks.

And what about the broken chords inversions?

#1535315 - 10/14/10 11:47 AM Re: How to practice arpeggios and broken chords? [Re: custard apple]
david_a Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: custard apple
Yeah, I had never thought about it that explicitly !
As you say, the same notes but jazz covers a greater variety of chords.
Could you give a non-jazz-educated person like me examples of what some of the jazz players are practicing?

#1535322 - 10/14/10 11:53 AM Re: How to practice arpeggios and broken chords? [Re: PianoMath]
david_a Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: PianoMath

To give a really really basic answer:

For 4-note chords built from triads, it will be either 1 2 4 5 or 1 2 3 5 (all reversed for LH). You can tell whether to use 3 or 4 by checking the third note's distance between the second note and fourth note. If the third note is closer to the fourth note, or if the distances are about equal, use 4. If the third note is definitely closer to the second note, use 3. (Again you will see how to reverse this for the left hand, I don't have to explain that.)

#1535413 - 10/14/10 02:01 PM Re: How to practice arpeggios and broken chords? [Re: david_a]
PianoMath Offline

Originally Posted By: david_a

To give a really really basic answer:

For 4-note chords built from triads, it will be either 1 2 4 5 or 1 2 3 5 (all reversed for LH). You can tell whether to use 3 or 4 by checking the third note's distance between the second note and fourth note. If the third note is closer to the fourth note, or if the distances are about equal, use 4. If the third note is definitely closer to the second note, use 3. (Again you will see how to reverse this for the left hand, I don't have to explain that.)

I see.
But i need a fingering for playing the inversions simultaneously, like on C major, i would play this: C E G - E G C - G C E - C E G

Without stoping...

#1535419 - 10/14/10 02:07 PM Re: How to practice arpeggios and broken chords? [Re: PianoMath]
david_a Offline
2000 Post Club Member

But i need a fingering for playing the inversions simultaneously, like on C major, i would play this: C E G - E G C - G C E - C E G

Without stoping...
OK, no problem, same sort of idea. Every group of three notes is always either 1 3 5 or 1 2 5. Look at the middle note. If it's in the exact middle or on the 5 side, then use 3. If it's closer to the thumb side, use 2.

#1535676 - 10/14/10 11:45 PM Re: How to practice arpeggios and broken chords? [Re: david_a]
custard apple Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hi David
Apologies for the delay in answering your great question on jazz arpeggios.
For beginners in jazz they should know these 4 arpeggios.
Major 7
Minor 7
Dominant 7
Diminished 7th

For a chord family there are numerous arpeggios one can practice based on altering/ extending notes. For the chord family of 7ths, there are at least 16 variations, one example is raising the 4th by one half note, this raised 4th is a typical jazz sound.

This is a complex topic and kinda hard to explain !

#1535884 - 10/15/10 09:48 AM Re: How to practice arpeggios and broken chords? [Re: david_a]
PianoMath Offline

Originally Posted By: david_a

Without stoping...
OK, no problem, same sort of idea. Every group of three notes is always either 1 3 5 or 1 2 5. Look at the middle note. If it's in the exact middle or on the 5 side, then use 3. If it's closer to the thumb side, use 2.

Thanks! I will try that.

I also found that Beringer book has some exercises for chords and arpeggios

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
136 registered (ando, antony, Almaviva, accordeur, Adam Coleman, 43 invisible), 1436 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74236 Members
42 Forums
153557 Topics
2250518 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Supporting young student
by Cardinal201
04/18/14 08:01 PM
The Search
by mlpiano88
04/18/14 07:25 PM
Polyphony with Polyphonist - Installment 1
by Polyphonist
04/18/14 06:51 PM
Help dating old Mcphail Upright Piano
by joe513
04/18/14 06:39 PM
OT: John Passion
by wimpiano
04/18/14 04:33 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission