Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1534720 - 10/13/10 02:49 PM Murray Perahia suffering from hand injury again!
Andromaque Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Very sad news for this wonderful pianist. He just cancelled his fall tour apparently due to hand injury. He has had trouble with his hand in the nineties, due to a cut to his thumb that got infected etc. I don't remember the details.. That was some years ago and he has been back in great form from a while.

The good news is that his replacement is none other than Stephen Hough! And his program is great: Scriabin sonatas 4 and 5; Liszt sonata and something else I forgot..

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#1534727 - 10/13/10 03:04 PM Re: Murray Perahia suffering from hand injury again! [Re: Andromaque]
beet31425 Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bay Area, CA
My sense is that for a while it's been off-and-on for this great artist. According to Wikipedia, his old hand problem returned in 2005 and 2008.

I can't imagine what it's like. This is very sad news.

-J

#1534761 - 10/13/10 04:10 PM Re: Murray Perahia suffering from hand injury again! [Re: Andromaque]
Hank Drake Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
Very sad news. Judging from his recent recordings, his abilities don't seem to be diminished. (He just recorded the Brahms Handel Variations, which is not an easy piece.) But I can't help wondering if Perahia, now 63, will have to lead a permanently reduced career in terms of concertizing.

The composers want performers be imaginative, in the direction of their thinking--not just robots, who execute orders.
George Szell

#1534870 - 10/13/10 07:10 PM Re: Murray Perahia suffering from hand injury again! [Re: Andromaque]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
Learned about this maybe a week ago and was very disappointed as I had tickets to hear him next month. Vladimir Feltsman is replacing him.
I've heard him with the Handel Variation that Hank mentioned and am very much looking forward to the recording. Phenomenal pianist and I'm hoping he overcomes this finger problem once and for all.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#1534911 - 10/13/10 08:17 PM Re: Murray Perahia suffering from hand injury again! [Re: Andromaque]
Andromaque Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Feltsman on a good day is also very good. I often go back to his Liszt sonata recording. What do you think of his Bach?

#1534924 - 10/13/10 08:53 PM Re: Murray Perahia suffering from hand injury again! [Re: Andromaque]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
To be honest, Andromaque, I'm not all that familiar with his Bach. I have heard a bit from him, but not enough to honestly form an opinion. He's an incredible technician, but he's a bit cold. His programme includes all four Ballades in the second half (which, ironically, all four I've only ever heard on a programme from Perahia and at the very same venue) so it should be interesting.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#1534930 - 10/13/10 09:19 PM Re: Murray Perahia suffering from hand injury again! [Re: Andromaque]
Richter Offline

Loc: Canada
you can find recordings of feltsman playing all four ballades on youtube if you wanted to check it out beforehand. i think that he plays the fourth brilliantly!

#1534940 - 10/13/10 09:40 PM Re: Murray Perahia suffering from hand injury again! [Re: Andromaque]
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
I had tickets to see him at Meany Hall in Seattle. They offered a refund, not a replacement artist. I'm very disappointed but I hope his hand heals. He is, IMO, one of the top living pianists.

Deborah

#1534997 - 10/13/10 11:41 PM Re: Murray Perahia suffering from hand injury again! [Re: Andromaque]
Palindrome Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
For me, he's the best all around pianist on the concert stage today. I can only hope he recovers. Here in Chicago the replacement is Hamelin, and although I'll miss MP, I'm happier than I would have been with Feltsman, who, however well he may play, projects a disdainful attitude toward the audience.

#1535056 - 10/14/10 01:31 AM Re: Murray Perahia suffering from hand injury again! [Re: stores]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
Originally Posted By: stores
... which, ironically, all four [Ballades] I've only ever heard on a programme from Perahia and at the very same venue) so it should be interesting.

I heard Kissin play all four Ballades in concert some years back, must have been in my late teens. I can't say it was my most memorable concert. It began with a decent enough Schubert D958, but the Ballades seemed to have caught him on a bit of an off day. Each one was successively louder and faster, and by the time of the F minor, I was rather put off with a pianist I had generally admired very much.

Well at least we got a very generous selection of encores.

#1535195 - 10/14/10 08:21 AM Re: Murray Perahia suffering from hand injury again! [Re: Andromaque]
Gerard12 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: South Carolina
My opinion is that he came back from the first layoff a much better pianist and musician - which is amazing because he was always brilliant in the first place!

I hope that he does the same this time (....and with a much shorter layoff)

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
84 registered (Atrys, AZNpiano, Anticlock, BarryDMD, AndrewJCW, 22 invisible), 1331 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75843 Members
42 Forums
156798 Topics
2303899 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Jazz"y" improvisation/cover issues
by kobethuy
48 minutes 58 seconds ago
Jazz"y" improvisation/cover issues
by kobethuy
Today at 01:33 AM
My Steinway M birth information.
by ciftwood
Yesterday at 08:30 PM
Breathy tone
by JoelW
Yesterday at 07:59 PM
HELLO!!
by Synner
Yesterday at 07:23 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission