2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (APianistHasNoName, Bruce Sato, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, CharlesXX, 9 invisible), 1,871 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
ProdigalPianist: I agree with everything you've said. Almost.

Notes and scribbles are far harder to replace than an expensive score - and often far more important!

(I'm a piano teacher.)
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by btb
... even top accompanists like currawong (with a massive daily workload) have worked out a survival technique to miss out some of the notes.
Not too many of them, old bean, otherwise I wouldn't be re-engaged. smile

Du holde Kunst...
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by btb
An old wives tale Journey,

Sight-reading gives most people a headache ... lots of sight-reading never results in the wishful thought that a nirvana can be reached to be able to read anything prima vista.

Lots of people avow to their sight-reading improving over the years ... but strangely never
reach the "happy hour"... even top accompanists like currawong (with a massive daily workload) have worked out a survival technique to miss out some of the notes.

Try to be patient chaps in working up a piece of music measure by measure ...
and memorize ... for a quality rendition.

How far your memory stretches is up to you.

I am certain that even old wives can also improve their sight reading skills by properly practicing sight reading.

As for expecting nirvana from earthly pursuits, perhaps your key issue is a tendency towards wishful thinking and setting unrealistic expectations rather than just getting on with it?

Horses for courses. There is a time for sight reading (e.g. skimming potential literature options, working with ensembles, getting a helicopter view of new pieces, falling in for mundane gigs such as church accompanying, etc. etc.) and there is a time for careful measure by measure, hand by hand close study and memorization of music (learning pieces to be performed publically without a score, preparing for exams, etc.).

Once you are proficient at sight reading, there is no small amount of intense pleasure to be derived from sight reading classical pieces from the masters for one's own amusement and edification on a lazy Sunday morning. When reading and playing become one in the same way that reading a novel and imagining in the mind's eye its content become one.

Can everyone do it? No, but not everyone can read or read for pleasure either. It is a complex skill that must be learned and practiced.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I think what you need to do is maybe go over your existing pieces, decide on which ones are your favourites, and then set yourself practice days for each one, so maybe put a little plan together, and then try and source some new songs that are similiar to those ones if thats the style you enjoy playing!

You will soon have a nice little repertoire of favourite songs!

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
If you relearn the pieces which you no longer remember you will find that they stay in your memory better than pieces you have just learned. I needed to increase my repertoire ( mostly ragtime ) from about half an hour to over an hour this summer after volunteering to play at an engagement party.

It takes a lot of work to double the size of your repertoire because you need to devote some time to maintaining the pieces you know well while working on the not so strong ones. Having been through this exercise I could get that repertoire in shape pretty quickly if another circumstance arose where I needed to play for an hour.

Some people have suggested reading and that works well if you are a strong reader and are in a position to read. I rely on a combination of reading and memory, I play mostly from memory but I have the music in front of me as a reference in case I need it. Sometimes it's not practical to use sheet music, for example if you happen to be somewhere with a piano and you don't have any music with you, if the light is poor or if you are playing outdoors where the wind could blow the music around. For those reasons it's good to have at least a few pieces memorized.

R
R
I posted the following story some time ago but it seems appropriate to trot it out again as I think it is very relevant to this discussion.

An old gardener was asked how many coats of linseed oil should be applied to a fork handle?” He replied,

“Put on a coat of oil every hour for a day, then
put on a coat of oil every day for a week, then
put on a coat of oil every week for a month, then
put on a coat of oil every month for a year, then
put on a coat of oil every year for the rest of your life.”

Our memory works exactly like that. We need to refresh it frequently initially, but as the item we are trying to memorize becomes more secure we can retain it for increasingly longer periods.
It is the principle and not necessarily the same time intervals as in the story.

Students studying for anything do, or should, use this principle to organize and plan their study. They should have items in one compartment that they need to review or revise every day. Another compartment with things to check weekly and so on. Items can be moved to different compartments as required. Cards in a box with dividers could be used.

The same principle can be used to retain music in our memory.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission