Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1411674 - 04/05/10 05:57 PM Casio Privia PX-830 $200 off at Costco.ca
2picky4most Offline

Loc: Quebec, Canada
Casio Privia PX-830 DP on SALE at Costco.ca!

To those of you in Canada, who were wondering how much the new Casio PX-830 was going to set you back, wonder no more. Costco Canada has a web only special for this DP running from April 5 to April 25, 2010. The regular price is $999.99CDN. The sale price is $799.99CDN, or $200 off. This price includes the piano, a bench and delivery to your home via UPS. Personally, I think this is a great price for a new model DP.

I purchased the Privia PX-800 from Costco last summer for $699.99CDN on sale from Costco, and at the time I thought that the $699.99 was a steal, but the price for the new PX-830 is, IMHO better.

As to my PX-800, I am still very happy with it, though I have had 1 problem, which Casio Canada has handled with class, and no arguments. My R-speaker recently (past month) developed a tiny "pop" upon the DP being turned on, and heard only when the DP completed its self diagnostic. This "pop" was not heard when using headphones. I called Casio, explained the situation, and 4 days later received a new set of speakers. Other than that, I am pounding away on my Privia contentedly on a daily basis. The "heavy" touch has improved my finger strength noticeably (according to my teacher), and I don't have any problems of rattling/wobbly keys.

For now Costco Canada still doesn't ship to the US.

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Special Financing on Digital Keyboards

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#1411705 - 04/05/10 06:55 PM Re: Casio Privia PX-830 $200 off at Costco.ca [Re: 2picky4most]
gerardo1000 Offline

I just bought a new Casio Privia PX 830 in US, Michigan, at the discounted price of $ 940.00, and I am enthusiastic with the sounds and the look of the dp.
The price of Costco in Canada is amazing...Canadians keyboard/piano players, don't let this opportunity go !

#1412811 - 04/07/10 09:49 AM Re: Casio Privia PX-830 $200 off at Costco.ca [Re: gerardo1000]
nesta09 Offline

Yes, I caught this promotion too. That is why I open a post before to see if it is a good deal. I wanna know more about the quality of it before I make decision. Can you tell me more about your new Casio PX 830 or PX800?? I guess they are similar. I am still making my mind to see if I should go for it.

Thank you!

#1412840 - 04/07/10 11:06 AM Re: Casio Privia PX-830 $200 off at Costco.ca [Re: nesta09]
gerardo1000 Offline

I traded my Yamaha YDP 223 for the privia 830. Better sound, better expression (4 layers instead of one), great amplification, beautiful looks.
The quality seems good, however I had it for only two weeks. But I am very very happy with it.

#1412917 - 04/07/10 01:22 PM Re: Casio Privia PX-830 $200 off at Costco.ca [Re: nesta09]
2picky4most Offline

Hi nesta09!

Let me warn you in advance, that my reply might be rather long, sorry.

My experience with the PX-830 comes from reading Casio's varies websites & the odd "independent" reviews. The PX-830 is "new & improved" in several ways, according to Casio, re: the touch, sound, new cabinet design, duet mode, speaker system, etc.
I suspect the key action is similar, on the heavy side, which I like. The surface of the keys is supposed to be less slippery, more like an acoustic piano. Now, I have never had any problems with fingers slipping about. Probably the keys now have a less "plastic" feel to them. But they, still like all dp's keys, are made from some form of plastic.
Casio says the sound is "new", but it is still 2x20W for the main speakers, with the "new" probably being the location of the speakers, just under the keyboard, rather than separately attached as in the PX-800. Sound through the PX-800 speakers is nothing to complain about. I find it realistic to the point that one neighbour wanted to know how I could fit a baby grand into my living room. I have a pair of CHEAP headphones for "quiet" play & even through them I still have very good sound quality, which would be better still if I upgraded my headset.
Cabinet design is a personal thing, though I do prefer the darker colour(s). Having a duet mode can be handy, it is not available on the PX-800 (side note: while researching the 800 before I bought it, I can across an old Casio site that showed the 800 as having a duet mode when it was first released in 2006).
The quality of the workmanship & fit of the various parts of the dp are first rate. When the dp arrived, the exterior packaging was very damaged, BUT, Casio packs their products extremely well, & there was no interior damage. Assembly was easy & logical, great instruction manual written in correct English, French, & I assume, Spanish.
Even the pedal board, which is definitely the weakest part of the PX-800, is not that bad; provided you don't use it as a foot rest while playing! I am a rather heavy footed pedaler and have had no problems with the bar cracking, or pedal(s) braking. While attaching the pedal assembly to the dp body, I followed the instructions exactly, and used a level to make sure it was straight, & that the pedal foot support was in contact with the floor.

The biggest differences,(IMHO), between the PX-800 & PX-830 are:

1. 800 has 162 tones with layer & split. 830 has 16 tones with layer and split.
2. 800 music library has up to 10 user songs, up to ~318 KB per song. 830 music library has 1 user song, up to ~65 KB.
3. 800 recorder can record 5 songs & 2 tracks with a capacity of ~50,000 notes total (up to ~10,000 notes per song) 830 can record 1 song, 2 tracks, approx. 5000 notes total.
4. 800 supports SD memory cards up to 1 GB. 830 supports SD memory cards up to 2GB.
5. 800 dimensions are 143.6(W)x29.8(D)x79.6(H)cm. 830 dimensions are 137.1(W)x27.5(D)x76.2(H)cm.
6. 800 weight is ~41.0 kg. (still light enough for 2 people to moved up/downstairs. I have done so.) 830 weight is ~33.5 kg. (interesting, what was done to cause an 8 kg loss?)

To return to your question; Yes, it is a great deal, period.
I don't know your level of ability, or what your main needs are, but the PX-830 overall is worth its cost. The PX-800 has some quarks that can/do annoy some; such as its self diagnostic check every time it is turned on. Or the fact that it doesn't remember you settings from one session to the next. A bother yes, but I can live with it. I have not read or seen anything about this being remedied.
Remember, if you buy from Costco, you can return it, no questions asked, for a full refund.
I researched on line & in stores (don't get started on the various sales pressure, & BS I received from store staff. Maybe that should be another topic, if it isn't already) for over 6 months before buying the PX-800. I tried various Yamaha, Roland, & other dp's. For someone who has a limited budget, or let's be honest here, can afford to spend more but doesn't want to, or has limited space, or is just beginning to play; the Casio PX-800 or PX-830 are the BEST IN THE UNDER $1500CDN range!! Casio is becoming a serious competitor with its new dp's. Unless there will be some earth shattering, new development in the electronic music world, I will keep playing my PX-800 for a very long time to come.

Again, sorry, for such a windy reply

#1412956 - 04/07/10 02:12 PM Re: Casio Privia PX-830 $200 off at Costco.ca [Re: 2picky4most]
nesta09 Offline

Thank you for your detailed reply 2picky4most! I really appreciate it!!!

I actually searched DP for over a year already. The keyboard I have right now is just have 72 keys which annoyed me a lot. I am actually in Grade 6 right now but stop to play for like three years. I now want to start to play again and thus I guess I need to have a standard piano which has 88 keys. I may consider to learn or take piano exam later. But honestly budget and space are really factors. Therefore, when I come across this PX830 I got excited. I actually like heavy touch. I find Yamaha one is too soft and I don't like it. Roland and Kawai are quite expensive. For Korg, i don't quite like its stand and the factor that pedal is separate. Thus, now it comes down to Casio.

After knowing that PX 800 is good and this increase my confidence in it. I will go to music store on weekend to try PX 830 before i commit to buy it from Costco.

#1413099 - 04/07/10 04:49 PM Re: Casio Privia PX-830 $200 off at Costco.ca [Re: nesta09]
nubi Offline

I envy you Canadians. Costco.ca always seem to have better deals on Casio Privia!

Edited by nubi (04/07/10 04:49 PM)

#1414601 - 04/10/10 12:16 AM Re: Casio Privia PX-830 $200 off at Costco.ca [Re: nubi]
sammyj46 Offline

Just returned my PX730 to Costco today (no questions asked and no box), after playing it daily for four months and becoming annoyed with the keys, and purchased the PX830 on sale on their website, since they deliver it for free. Very excited to see what the upgrade to the keys is like. Plus, having the memory card alone is really worth the upgrade for me. I will write more about it once it's delivered and I have the chance to play it for a while so that I can compare it to the PX730. Nesta09 (Forza Azzurri!), I say buy it... there really is nothing else in the price range.

#1536651 - 10/16/10 02:17 PM Re: Casio Privia PX-830 $200 off at Costco.ca [Re: sammyj46]
2picky4most Offline

Hey sammyj46 and nesta09,

So, what was the end result re your hunt for a new piano? Has each of you purchased the PX-830 or something completely different?

Edited by 2picky4most (10/16/10 02:18 PM)

#1536953 - 10/16/10 10:38 PM Re: Casio Privia PX-830 $200 off at Costco.ca [Re: sammyj46]
galaxy4t Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Lakewood, CA
What was the problem with the keys on the PX-730 you returned? You might want to check the keybed on your 830 when it arrives to make sure you don't have any wobbly or sticking keys. There have been reports of keybed issues on many of the new Casios both in the Privia and Celviano lines. They're not limited to the cheaper pianos.

#1989779 - 11/22/12 12:57 PM Re: Casio Privia PX-830 $200 off at Costco.ca [Re: 2picky4most]
Sand Tiger Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
This is a thread from 2010 that I bumping to the top. Casio is shipping new models this year (2012), and some sellers are clearing out the PX-830. One bundle price I saw was $750 USD.

I was thinking to buy a new rig in January 2013. I know many seek out the latest and greatest. My question is how much two or three years makes in digital pianos? Certainly 10 years would likely make a big difference, but 2 years?

#1989797 - 11/22/12 01:31 PM Re: Casio Privia PX-830 $200 off at Costco.ca [Re: Sand Tiger]
galaxy4t Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Lakewood, CA
The PX-850 selling for $1100. A PX-830 at $750 is a good deal. They sound very similar as the PX-x50 is sampled from the same piano as the PX-x30's were. I haven't played any of the new models yet. From sound demos on the internet, the new Privias sound richer, fuller in their AP samples. The sustain is also better. There's a lid simulator as well on the 850. The action is also new. I wouldn't say the new Privias blow the older ones out of the water. The 830 is still a nice piano and you can save some money if you like it.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
LAST CALL - Piano Newsletter Ideas!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
168 registered (88 Fingers Jeff, accordeur, 36251, 52 invisible), 1934 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75495 Members
42 Forums
156103 Topics
2292363 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Korg Triton>midi>us
b>lightning to usb>iPad mini>Garageband

by SilentMHP
07/23/14 04:54 PM
Pianist Martin Malmgren Performing in Helsinki
by Piano World
07/23/14 04:25 PM
In need for that screaming, dirty, funky, rhodes sound
by Thomas B
07/23/14 03:36 PM
Godowsky - Prelude and Fugue for left hand alone
by Polyphonist
07/23/14 02:50 PM
piano player wanted...
by David Farley
07/23/14 02:38 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission