Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1177596 - 04/09/09 10:16 PM Equipment for Streaming Lessons?
Piano World Offline

Loc: Parsonsfield, ME (orig. Nahant...
I know we've had some good threads posted about recording your piano.

This time however, I'm interested in what equipment one would need to stream between a student and a teacher in different locations.

I've had a couple of pianist/teachers ask about doing this. They happen to be at the level of teaching master classes, but I don't think that is relevant.

The thought is to use Skype, but the question remains...
What basic equipment would be needed to stream (live) video and audio of an acoustic piano, between the student and teacher?

Keeping in mind the quality needs to be fairly good or it won't work.

Ok all you experts, feel free to chime in now :-)
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Facebook.com/PianoWorldDotCom
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
www.youtube.com/PianoWorldDotCom
Estonia L-190, Yamaha P-80, Hammond XK-3, Hammond A-100, Estey 1895 Pump Organ
-------------------------
It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!
And please invite everyone you know to join our piano forums!
Coming to Maine? We're in Parsonsfield (southwest) let's get together!

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#1177610 - 04/09/09 10:43 PM Re: Equipment for Streaming Lessons? [Re: Piano World]
EP Offline

Loc: USA
Not claiming to be an expert, but I took some lessons via Skype about 2 years ago.
The only equipment the teacher used was a webcam with a built-in mic, and a laptop sitting on top of the piano, with earbuds. I had a similar setup but was using a digital piano and a microphone hooked into a mixer going to the sound card input of my desktop computer, and a regular set of headphones.
We each had a DSL internet connection.
Personally, I thought it was marginally acceptable, as the sound was a bit jumpy and the video would occasionally break up. Plus, there was a little latency, so trying to play at the same time (i.e. duets) didn't work.
Not being an expert, I don't know what the problem was, but maybe others have had better luck.

#1180605 - 04/15/09 01:26 AM Re: Equipment for Streaming Lessons? [Re: EP]
trigalg693 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Not sure if this is actually useful information, but some international competitions use Yamaha's player piano system to do auditions, and I think I read somewhere that the MTNA also had some kind of lesson with those, over the internet.

#1421219 - 04/21/10 10:44 AM Re: Equipment for Streaming Lessons? [Re: trigalg693]
PianoTouch Offline

Loc: Australia and France
Hi all,

I hope to shed some light on this for you.

Firstly, regarding the latency or delay, there is little you can do to avoid this.

This is due to thje digital processing of the data (sound and video) over the DSL network, satelights, etc.

You will notice that when you see a news report of a foreign correspondent being asked a question, there is still a delay, as the reciver is still listening to the question being asked after it has been asked. That doers make sense, if you read it slowly.

Anyway, to help a little, the skype idea is not too bad, particularly if your DSL connection is good, and your computer has a little 'grunt' and is not ten years old.

However, one imp[rovement is the microphone, that will make all the difference.

The best one to use (and no, I do not sell microphones) is the Audio technica USB 2020, as it hs a large diaphragm, and is available as a USB mic that plugs directly into your computer, and will massively improve the sound qulity of the pianio over the internet.

Ihave searched the net, and they are available from http://www.hostingsuccess.com/audiocreation Again, I am not a retailer, but have found that this website explains the use of audio recording on your computer very well.

I have found that skype is also getting much better and more clear, and responsive in transmitting the sound and video with little or no drop out, as long as you have a good laptop and internet connection.

I would be interested if you can lert me know if you have a much better success rate taking this action. I have certainly seen a massive improvement when working this way.
Simple Principles ensuring Physical Comfort at the Keyboard

Learn Piano Online, at home

#1462360 - 06/24/10 01:15 PM Re: Equipment for Streaming Lessons? [Re: PianoTouch]
David Sprunger Offline

Loc: Oregon, USA
Hi Frank - I think this question will become more relevant as time goes by and live lessons become a mainstay. My son is actually setting up a system to do this and has been giving me the "lowdown". I'll keep you all posted as he tweaks the equipment.

One bit that I found out is that on my Mac, Skype is appreciably clearer. I was connecting video to video from Oregon to Texas, and it almost looked like broadcast quality. Really way better than Skype on my PC (and I'm not a "mac only" cult guy either smile
David Sprunger - Learn to play piano by ear using the revolutionary technique of "Rhythmic Patterns". Piano Lessons Homepage here - includes library of piano lessons for beginners through advanced piano and keyboard players.

#1520116 - 09/21/10 09:41 PM Re: Equipment for Streaming Lessons? [Re: Piano World]
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Just a quick note to Skype users out there.
I have Skype set to automatically install updates, but yesterday, realised it has not been doing so.

I did a quick manual 'Check for updates' and found that a newer version was available.ver. 4.2.0.187 ( you can check your version, under the 'Help' tab > 'About Skype')
I contacted a couple of Skype contacts, and they also found that automatic updates were not being installed.

#1537748 - 10/18/10 03:16 AM Re: Equipment for Streaming Lessons? [Re: Piano World]
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Another important update:
Skype ver. 5.0.0.152 now available.

This version supports group (conference) calls.

(all users must have this version, to use this feature)

#1579321 - 12/18/10 09:07 AM Re: Equipment for Streaming Lessons? [Re: PianoTouch]
music32 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Berkeley, California
I'm definitely curious about this mode of communication for lesson transmission, but I feel a bit dubious about it for the following reasons.

For nuances of tone production, I can't imagine that Skyping can allow the teacher to communicate these properly.

MP3s, for example, certainly don't deliver as well as "live" performances, so hooking up a video camera, seems to be more in order for theory presentations, lectures, and the like. I guess if the teacher is not that fussy about sound, he/she might do a tutorial on a particular composition, but the back and forth of teaching just sounds so removed, and too technology driven to do justice to a teaching relationship.
And I respect the opinions of others in this matter.. and am willing to be convinced otherwise..

Shirley K
http://arioso7.wordpress.com

You Tube Channel
http://www.youtube.com/arioso7

NYC HS of Performing Arts
Oberlin Conservatory
NYU, M.A., Steinway M grand and upright
Haddorff console
MTAC Alameda

#2111190 - 07/01/13 01:01 PM Re: Equipment for Streaming Lessons? [Re: Piano World]
kamroon Offline

Loc: New York
Skype set to automatically install updates will be not so easy.I had tried this but unfortunately not more successful.

#2112147 - 07/03/13 11:42 AM Re: Equipment for Streaming Lessons? [Re: Piano World]
UKIkarus Offline

Loc: England, South East
I know this post was originally started 3 years ago sooo errrr consider me a nechrobumpist :S

Either way, although online lessons are plausible to one extent for basic teaching and discussion... the internet will never really be viable for real-time communications.

Yes digital processing adds a lot of latency to the mix, but on top of that are just plain simple physics... it takes the information X milliseconds to travel around the world between the relevant nodes even at the speed of light! it simply will not be fast enough to be used as a viable platform for real time communication/teaching/duetting unless we can somehow invent faster than light communications platforms. (any volunteers? :D)

What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
86 registered (*windowlicker*, Abby Pianoman, aesop, Allard, 36251, 23 invisible), 1099 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75890 Members
42 Forums
156828 Topics
2304365 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano Tuning Database
by Sean Montgomery
Today at 05:35 AM
POSTING PICTURES
by bluebilly
Today at 03:19 AM
Goedkope Nike Free Run 2
by rstuvw780928
Today at 01:01 AM
Portable Power Supply for Digital Piano?
by piccione
Yesterday at 11:45 PM
on revisiting Chopin Etudes
by Lingyis
Yesterday at 11:45 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission