Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 29 of 70 < 1 2 ... 27 28 29 30 31 ... 69 70 >
Topic Options
#1534972 - 10/13/10 10:58 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Loren D]
RonTuner Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicagoland
Pre-tuned a Yamaha C6 in the band room today and the Steinway D in the Chapel at the university. The C6 is getting moved into the chapel tonight to be used for concerto competitions tomorrow. Early morning tuning to get the C6 to match the Steinway D. I wanted to make sure they were both as close to 440 as possible before the morning fun!

Ron Koval
chicagoland

my piano videos:
http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=drwoodwind

(ad 568) Win a Year Journal Subscription
Win a year subscription to the PTG Journal
#1535437 - 10/14/10 03:39 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Supply]
Silverwood Pianos Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver B. C. Canada
Originally Posted By: Supply

Makes me wish that they would learn to build uprights in New York....

Within 5 years all Steinway production will be from Hamburg.

There will be a skeleton crew left on 57th for local representation.

A bold prediction I am hoping to be wrong about.
http://www.facebook.com/SilverwoodPianosDotCom
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

#1535517 - 10/14/10 05:58 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
Loren D Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: PA
Old Melville Clark spinet (built on a Wurlitzer back). Clean rust from tuning pins/coils, reshape hammers, race 80 cents. After that, a 90's vintage Belarus console.

#1535598 - 10/14/10 08:02 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Grand Rapids Michigan
Tuned a Yamaha grand, an Everett studio, a Yamaha P22 and a Baldwin studio. Nice day.
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#1535641 - 10/14/10 10:02 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
Bob Offline
3000 Post Club Member

First day back from vacation I jumped right in with a K&C grand in a church, then to a school for a capstan grommet job on a Grand Spinet. Everything was so rusty, the Kimball square metal nuts broke apart instead of unscrewing. Once replaced, I re-layed the keys, and did a reg. Then I fixed the ribs that were separating from the soundboard. Almost 8 hours on that one - whew. Then... tuned a Hamburg D at an artist's home. He's in Austria concertizing this week. Long day, but most satisfying.

#1535660 - 10/14/10 11:17 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
Sam Casey Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: SW Missouri
Did a Acro, Baldwin Hamilton grand I rebuilt 20 years ago, Charles Walter studio, old Gulbransen grand, and Kawai console.

#1535662 - 10/14/10 11:23 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
Dave Stahl Offline
1000 Post Club Member

A Niemeyer upright made by Dongbei??? or some other massive piano combine in China, a Bohemia 123 upright 25-30 c flat needed a PR and a tuning, a Kawai RX-1 Blak--really sweet little grand--needed a PR, some repetition spring softening in the bass, and a small amount of voicing, a Diapason 108 (like a Kawai CX4 or CX5) that was at pitch. Drove 110 miles, too, but no traffic jams! Listened to the sports talk folks on the radio blather on for most of the day about the SF Giants...go Giants, stomp the Phillies!

Dave Stahl, RPT
Piano Technician's Guild
San Jose, CA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAniw3m7L2I
http://dstahlpiano.net

#1535663 - 10/14/10 11:24 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
pianovoce Offline

Loc: New Orleans, LA
Evaluated a late 70s Everett upright and told the purchaser to go for it!

#1535714 - 10/15/10 02:21 AM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
A U1 and a CFIIIs, for two shows. Two strings broke on the concert grand. It is funny how it is not the string you are tuning that breaks. The first time, it was the one I just finished tuning, and the second time it was the one that I had not started tuning.

#1535811 - 10/15/10 07:27 AM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: BDB]
Loren D Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: BDB
A U1 and a CFIIIs, for two shows. Two strings broke on the concert grand. It is funny how it is not the string you are tuning that breaks. The first time, it was the one I just finished tuning, and the second time it was the one that I had not started tuning.

Wow, never had that happen! It's rare that I break one, but it's always the one I'm working on.

#1535950 - 10/15/10 11:14 AM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
BDB Online   content

I have decided it is my job to break the strings before the concert, rather than to have them break during it. The only pianist who has been able to break a string has been Cecil Taylor, which was irritating, as he had been practicing on that piano all week. Of course, being Cecil, nobody noticed, not the audience, not him.

These are stress breaks. The string breaks at the capo bar, rather than rust breaks, where they break at the tuning pin.

#1536042 - 10/15/10 01:30 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
Silverwood Pianos Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver B. C. Canada

I just had a broken string in the center section of an upright that I re-strung a few years back. The brand new Röslau wire broke at the pin, did not have any rust visible, and was most likely damaged or faulty wire in some way. Soon as I moved the hammer it snapped.....

Had to be the B beside middle C too.....you know behind the bass strings and all of that.....
http://www.facebook.com/SilverwoodPianosDotCom
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

#1536159 - 10/15/10 05:17 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Silverwood Pianos]
Bob Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Silverwood Pianos

. The brand new Röslau wire broke at the pin, did not have any rust visible, and was most likely damaged or faulty wire in some way. Soon as I moved the hammer it snapped.....

Coil Setter break - Tapped the becket with the coil setter while stringing? Or, sometimes a coil of wire will be brittle - if that's the case, adjacent coils will snap in the future.

I remember getting a couple of bass strings with some brittle core wire once - It snapped when I formed a becket.

#1536176 - 10/15/10 05:56 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
Bojan Babic Offline

Loc: Vojvodina, Serbia
Today I have finished floor in my workshop. Tomorrow morning, I start bringing my machines, tools, furniture, and other equipment inside. That is going to be my very first real workshop, after more than 10 years of doing piano restoration jobs in my mother^s garage. I feel good.

#1536186 - 10/15/10 06:32 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
Loren D Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Two 1950's vintage Baldwin Acrosonic spinets, a Yamaha grand, and an old Steinway M.

#1536300 - 10/15/10 09:46 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Tuned a Kawai vertical CX-21D, tuned a Kawai grand -KG-2D, raised pitch 1/4 + tone. Removed the action, cleaned out the inside of it and tightened the hammer rest rail screws.

Tuned a Kawai CX-5H. Get this. Typical idiot tuner syndrome. The "tooner" told the client that they were not going to raise it up to pitch and they did not complete the tuning and that nobody would know the difference anyway unless they used it with instruments. Man, you should have heard the thing. Talk about no rhyme or reason to a tuning? This was it. He tuned it back in Feb, 2010. This time of the year, the piano should be sharp. It was still, 1/2 tone flat! I raised it up to pitch, shimmed the balance rail, had lots of bobbling hammers, regulated the pedals that were not working at all. One pedal had the rod out of place. Like DUH! The other 2 pedals needed adjusting was all. I did a bunch of other stuff to make it play better. The tuning came out great after raising it up to 440. I was there for 2 1/2 hours.

Then, I tuned a Baldwin vertical full sized upright that was close to 440.
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#1536391 - 10/16/10 12:29 AM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
BDB Online   content

Two studios, one a Kimball probably from the 1980s, last tuned two years ago, which was not too bad. The second a pre-war Wurlitzer, last tuned in 2002, which was a little worse.

#1536544 - 10/16/10 10:41 AM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Bojan Babic]
Dave Stahl Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Bojan, congrats on your shop! Sounds great. I'll be getting started a set of key bushings in my shed today, which isn't bad, but it doubles as music studio and library. Not much room for machines!

Yesterday was a 5 year old Seiler 186 grand that needed a pitch raise, some hammer sanding/brushing, a small amount of damper work, and a couple of hammer flanges repinned. Nice piano, just untended for a while. Then we got to an old Story and Clark spinet from the 40s with inverted stickers. Surprisingly not a bad tone and mechanism. I was shocked, because she was a new customer. A Kawai RX-2 that gets played often and hard. Quickie blow/lo/drop regulation, sanded and brushed hammers, some near crown needling in the killer octave area. Finally, a rental tuning on a Baldwin Studio from the 70s. Unpleasant tone, and black stuff all over the action.

BDB, I agree with your "string theory." Better to break them during a service call than during a performance.

Dave Stahl, RPT
Piano Technician's Guild
San Jose, CA

#1536672 - 10/16/10 03:03 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
Bojan Babic Offline

Loc: Vojvodina, Serbia
Thanks Dave. I shall try to post some photos, if I would succeed to do it. Regards to you all.

#1537834 - 10/18/10 08:21 AM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Quote:
BDB, I agree with your "string theory." Better to break them during a service call than during a performance.
So now we have to bash the keys with our fists? cry

Saturday, tuned a Steinway B and a Baldwin L. Today, tuning a home, Cable Nelson she said with sticking keys. Then, had a last minute cancelation so, an open slot that I'm trying to fill. Then, a church. Tuning a Steinway M. Then, tuning a Steinway 0 and a Steinway B. Then, attending our local PTG chapter meeting. Busy day!
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#1538384 - 10/18/10 09:08 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

My turn again! I get 2 turns in a row, whoopeee!

Looked at and gave an estimate on a Cable Nelson spinet made by Everett this morning. Had a reschedule come in last minute so, had a hole after that. Then, tuned 2 Steinway's. 1 B and one O. haha, just realized, there is a pun there, B 0!

Was supposed to tune another B but the darn door was locked and I don't have a key yet so, another time.
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#1538395 - 10/18/10 09:21 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
Loren D Offline
2000 Post Club Member

100 cent pitch raise on a newer Kohler & Campbell grand that someone bought at an auction, then a Grand spinet, followed by an old Gordon upright.

#1538411 - 10/18/10 09:39 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Loren D]
Roy Rodgers Online   content

Loc: Ranger, Texas
Turned in my resignation at work today. Go to part time through the end of November, then will be on my own tuning and repairing pianos. Big leap. But ready to be on my own again.

#1538452 - 10/18/10 10:59 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Roy Rodgers]
Dave Stahl Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Way to go, Roy!

My first job was in a chateau, perhaps a model of the palace at Versailles, up on it's own hills surrounded by 20 or so acres of prime vineyard. I don't know how many bathrooms the place had, but I would guess at least 6, but probably more like 10. Tons of people on site doing various jobs, including yours truly. The money spent on this house could have balanced the budget in California. "Let them eat cake!"

Two Bosies in residence, one being the red and black giant that toured the world with the three tenors. The hydraulic apparatus that lifts the lid was not functioning, but I couldn't figure it out and turned it over to my pianoDisc installer buddy. So I pitch raised it, then tuned it. The other Bosie was your garden variety six and a half footer/80,000 dollar piano. Half way through the pitch raise, string 1 of C4 broke. This is understrung 17 1/2 wire that crosses the bridge right next to the plate strut. Kind of a PITA to repair, and my first ever on-the-job single string loop! All those years I wondered why they had that on the RPT test! But this was an omen of the last piano of the day.

It was a Wheelock upright, last tuned in the 60s, hand picked in 1934 for the owner's mom by her tuner granpa name of Doolittle. At 50-100c flat, I feared that the steel wound bass strings were not long for this world, and I was right. 3 of the last four bicords broke pretty quickly. I had warned the people....

Hadn't broken a string for months, either. When it rains, it pours.

Dave Stahl, RPT
Piano Technician's Guild
San Jose, CA

#1538460 - 10/18/10 11:16 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
Torger Offline

Loc: MN
Tuned and serviced a Steinway B,
set level and dip for a Short A Steinway
Had two people call at the same exact moment.
Phone company sent the Price shopper to me and the scheduler to voice mail.

a good day
www.PapagenoPianoTuning.com
Find us on Facebook

#1538596 - 10/19/10 06:53 AM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Dave Stahl]
Loren D Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Dave Stahl

Half way through the pitch raise, string 1 of C4 broke. This is understrung 17 1/2 wire that crosses the bridge right next to the plate strut. Kind of a PITA to repair, and my first ever on-the-job single string loop!

I've been using the Stringer II tool sold by Pianotek for understring replacements. Now I don't know how I lived without it! It's so nice being able to quickly and easily replace those difficult strings without having to invent streams of new words in the process...

#1538600 - 10/19/10 07:08 AM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
UnrightTooner Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bradford County, PA
Turned what would have been a frustrating no-show into a ho-hum cancellation by calling to confirm the appointment the night before. It was for an understandable reason.

#1538656 - 10/19/10 09:16 AM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
James Carney Offline

Loc: new york city
Yeah Loren, I love "the stringer." It really helps save time and prevents aggravation, especially with loop strings. I was actually borrowing one from another tech (for about a year!) and just last week he called and said "I want it back." I only needed it on one job in that time but now I'm probably jinxing myself, so its time to call Pianotek I guess...The bridge positioner part of the tool is awesome too.

Yesterday I started out tuning a nice M & H Model A - rebuilt very well within the last 10 years - a pleasure to tune...

Then a Marshall & Wendell 5-footer from the 20's that needed a huge pitchraise and about seven binding hammers realigned; this piano had no agraffes but sounded ok, although the trichord damper felts were more or less crushed due to the lack of consistent string spacing that agraffes provide. The funny part of this is that the fallboard lettering said "Marschall & Wendell" even though the plate casting was stamped "Marshall & Wendell." A refinisher's mistake, perhaps?

Then a brand new Estonia 190, a piano that I always love to tune and play. The last tuning of the day was supposed to be a factory fresh Blüthner Model 6 but it didn't arrive from JFK in time. So maybe Thursday for that one...

Today I get to practice/write all day long...

#1538665 - 10/19/10 09:35 AM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Loren D]
Dave Stahl Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Loren D
Originally Posted By: Dave Stahl

Half way through the pitch raise, string 1 of C4 broke. This is understrung 17 1/2 wire that crosses the bridge right next to the plate strut. Kind of a PITA to repair, and my first ever on-the-job single string loop!

I've been using the Stringer II tool sold by Pianotek for understring replacements. Now I don't know how I lived without it! It's so nice being able to quickly and easily replace those difficult strings without having to invent streams of new words in the process...

Yes, I've seen the stringer II and will probably buy one after this episode. It looks pretty cool. I've used lots of different tubular items, including brake line, brass tubing, pvc pipe. All that stuff got misplaced when I got a new car several months ago. Time to go hunting in the garage.

I also forgot to mention that the facilities guy at this job told me to park several hundred yards away from the house, which made the various back and forths to the car far more time consuming than desired....

Dave Stahl, RPT
Piano Technician's Guild
San Jose, CA

#1538980 - 10/19/10 07:00 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
Loren D Offline
2000 Post Club Member

First a hammer reshaping/voicing job on an old Hardman grand. These were not the original hammers, but were installed by another tech about 6 years ago, so it was a nice job. Hammers really sounded nice when finished. A little bit of lube on the knuckles to take care of jack friction and some squeaky creaky noise.

After that, an old Ivers & Pond upright sitting in a church basement. I expected it to be 1/2 step flat and instead found it about 30 cents sharp. I prepped myself for a pitch raise for nothing. smile Then went and gave an estimate on another upright. Nice day. Really enjoyed the voicing and maintenance work on the Hardman.

Page 29 of 70 < 1 2 ... 27 28 29 30 31 ... 69 70 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
137 registered (Atrys, accordeur, alex-kid, Anne'sson, 46 invisible), 1375 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74236 Members
42 Forums
153564 Topics
2250591 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano Science
by venice1
7 minutes 0 seconds ago
MP7 vs MP11: only 6 differences?
by Marko in Boston
57 minutes 24 seconds ago
the conclusion on weighted keys and developing technique
by B.Petrovic
Today at 09:02 PM
song i wrote about a coffee shop
by jedplays
Today at 08:50 PM
song i wrote. people in clubs love it
by jedplays
Today at 08:48 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission