Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1539865 - 10/21/10 01:02 AM Yamaha CFX wins Chopin International Piano Competition
jazzyprof Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
Well, actually the winner was Yulianna Avdeeva but her piano was a Yamaha CFX.
The contestants were Fazioli, Shigeru Kawai, Steinway, and Yamaha CFX. Quite a marketing coup for Yamaha, especially since the winner of the other Chopin Competition earlier this year in the US (Claire Huangci) also played a Yamaha CFX, a model that was only launched this year.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1539870 - 10/21/10 01:10 AM Re: Yamaha CFX wins Chopin International Piano Competition [Re: jazzyprof]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Anybody knows what's so unique about this model? I haven't tried Yamahas for several years. The last ones I tried had excellent touch, but the tone wasn't to die for.

#1539880 - 10/21/10 01:39 AM Re: Yamaha CFX wins Chopin International Piano Competition [Re: jazzyprof]
pno Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: ♪oron♪o, on♪ario, canada...
Congrats to Ms Avdeeva, and Yamaha, hahaha! Of the 10 finalists, 4 used yamaha, 4 used steinway, 2 used fazioli.

#1539990 - 10/21/10 07:01 AM Re: Yamaha CFX wins Chopin International Piano Competition [Re: jazzyprof]
Talik Offline

All the stages and competitors (and the four pianos of course) can be seen and listened to here:
Chopin Competition Video Archive
Very interesting. As for the pianos, the CFX sent to this competition sounds marvelous indeed. I reccomend listening to the bulgarian born Evgeni Bozhanov play it, and the big winner Yulianna Avdeeva play it at the second and third stage (she wasn't so good at the finals, but still won). By comparison the steinway and Faziolli sounded too "ordinary". The Kawai was chosen by few competitors in the early stages (the best of whom was the italian Leonora Armellini), and didn't project well the players. As usual the Kawai sounded too mellow and wasn't prepared well for the large hall, IMO.
And the winners, well, judge for yourselves.

Edited by Talik (10/21/10 07:02 AM)

#1540006 - 10/21/10 07:32 AM Re: Yamaha CFX wins Chopin International Piano Competition [Re: jazzyprof]
Piano-on-Hudson Offline

Loc: New York City
The piano was also under the fingers of Cho Seung-jin - winner of the 2009 Hamamatsu Competition, in a similarly-competitive arena. The CFX is at the Pittsburgh Symphony beginning tonight, under the fingers of Olga Kern. This CF Series project (including a 7' and 6'3" model) has been a 19-year project, now happily being rewarded.
Yamaha CP33
Stride piano -ø- Composition -ø- Photography -ø- Marketing -ø- PR -ø- Artist Management

#1540012 - 10/21/10 07:39 AM Re: Yamaha CFX wins Chopin International Piano Competition [Re: jazzyprof]
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
It's amazing how huge and accessible that video archive is. what a wonderful thing to wake up to.

the piano sounds marvelous.

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)

#1540122 - 10/21/10 10:47 AM Re: Yamaha CFX wins Chopin International Piano Competition [Re: jazzyprof]
Stevester Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
Cat's out of the bag - Yamaha builds a very nice piano. That is why I bought one last year.

anon

#1540173 - 10/21/10 11:52 AM Re: Yamaha CFX wins Chopin International Piano Competition [Re: jazzyprof]
terminaldegree Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: western Wisconsin
It's neat that a large selection of instruments was made available to the performers. Besides just the brand names, I feel like we should also recognize the efforts of the technicians who likely spent hours upon hours to get the very best out of the pianos.
Casio px-200, Bechstein A190 #192939 @ home
Steinway A #585209, B #416809 @ work
Schimmel 130T #339100, on loan

#1540180 - 10/21/10 11:58 AM Re: Yamaha CFX wins Chopin International Piano Competition [Re: terminaldegree]
BB Player Offline

Loc: Not in Texas
Originally Posted By: terminaldegree
It's neat that a large selection of instruments was made available to the performers. Besides just the brand names, I feel like we should also recognize the efforts of the technicians who likely spent hours upon hours to get the very best out of the pianos.

Absolutely! Plus the practice pianos! I'd imagine every piano school, music store and lots of private homes besides were overrun during the competition with contestants trying to get in some practice time.

#1540191 - 10/21/10 12:13 PM Re: Yamaha CFX wins Chopin International Piano Competition [Re: jazzyprof]
pianoloverus Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

I think most/many of the contestants are probably Steinway or Yamaha artists before the competitions and must choose their pianos accordingly.

#1540193 - 10/21/10 12:16 PM Re: Yamaha CFX wins Chopin International Piano Competition [Re: jazzyprof]
Talik Offline

I only played the new CF6 model from the new yamaha CF series. I found the sound fabulous but the action a little rough (I heard some people who say that's was probably a defect in the one piano I checked). The "Ivorite" keys are very nice, but the ebony keys are a little "woody" and the dealer told me a lot of efforts are being made by him to make them smoother. Also, the ebony keys are wider than most other brands, if that bother you.
I played the Fazioli 278 model that the participants used in the competition and found it less good then the 308 or smaller models. The action is just too light, and the treble too thin, sorry. Also, in this Chopin Competition the Faziolli Was voiced Poorly in my opinion, and It cost the French participant, François Dumont, a lot of points in the 3rd stage. He actually was the only one who changed the piano for the finale, and played the Steinway instead.

Edited by Talik (10/21/10 12:17 PM)

#1540197 - 10/21/10 12:18 PM Re: Yamaha CFX wins Chopin International Piano Competition [Re: jazzyprof]
bennevis Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Since Richter's death, there hasn't been many big-name pianists using Yamahas exclusively - maybe that'll now change. (Freddy Kempf is the only current one I know of). I always had the impression that Yamaha's sound (i.e. the CF111 model) is very 'neutral' - maybe too much so for most concert pianists, but the CFX is a bit different.

#1540202 - 10/21/10 12:25 PM Re: Yamaha CFX wins Chopin International Piano Competition [Re: pianoloverus]
BB Player Offline

Loc: Not in Texas
Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
I think most/many of the contestants are probably Steinway or Yamaha artists before the competitions and must choose their pianos accordingly.

I didn't realize that Steinway or Yamaha signed artists who weren't "established" i.e., who hadn't already won or placed highly in one or more competitions but freely admit I don't know much about the Steinway or Yamaha artist programs. I've been idly speculating about the factors that go into choosing which piano to use for a competition and suspect it goes well beyond "how does it play/sound".

#1540209 - 10/21/10 12:29 PM Re: Yamaha CFX wins Chopin International Piano Competition [Re: bennevis]
pianoloverus Offline

Originally Posted By: bennevis
Since Richter's death, there hasn't been many big-name pianists using Yamahas exclusively - maybe that'll now change. (Freddy Kempf is the only current one I know of). I always had the impression that Yamaha's sound (i.e. the CF111 model) is very 'neutral' - maybe too much so for most concert pianists, but the CFX is a bit different.
I think that depends on how big "big name" is. Richter was one of the greatest pianists of the 20th century.

There are a lot of Yamaha artists:Cyprien Katasaris, Olga Kern, Frederic Chiu, Jerome Rose, Abbey Simon, Mei Ting Sun, and many of the participants in the Mannes IKIF festival whose names I can't recall. Even some PW members are Yamaha artists. I bet if you go to Yamaha's website you will see other familiar names.

Edited by pianoloverus (10/21/10 05:36 PM)

#1540237 - 10/21/10 01:04 PM Re: Yamaha CFX wins Chopin International Piano Competition [Re: pianoloverus]
bennevis Offline
5000 Post Club Member

I wonder how 'exclusive' being an exclusive Yamaha artist is. I've got CDs by Chiu, all played on Yamaha, but I heard Kern recently in concert on a Steinway. And I'm sure my Abbey Simon CD was Steinway too.

#1540258 - 10/21/10 01:34 PM Re: Yamaha CFX wins Chopin International Piano Competition [Re: jazzyprof]
DanLaura Larson Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Pocatello, Idaho
Recently I watched a performance broadcast on PBS in which Kern and Renee Fleming performed in St. Petersburg. Kern played a Bechstein.

Dan
http://www.stoneformsart.com/

#1540392 - 10/21/10 04:48 PM Re: Yamaha CFX wins Chopin International Piano Competition [Re: jazzyprof]
jazzyprof Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
The winner's concert is on right now (4:40 pm EST):
Concert

#1540402 - 10/21/10 04:59 PM Re: Yamaha CFX wins Chopin International Piano Competition [Re: Piano-on-Hudson]
Beacon Chris Offline

Loc: Moscow, ID
Originally Posted By: Coordinator
The piano was also under the fingers of Cho Seung-jin - winner of the 2009 Hamamatsu Competition, in a similarly-competitive arena. The CFX is at the Pittsburgh Symphony beginning tonight, under the fingers of Olga Kern. This CF Series project (including a 7' and 6'3" model) has been a 19-year project, now happily being rewarded.

Coordinator,

Is this the Rach 1 with Slatkin conducting?

I never had much interest in the piano until I realized that every time I played, a girl would appear on the piano bench to my left and another to my right. - Duke Ellington

#1540543 - 10/21/10 08:52 PM Re: Yamaha CFX wins Chopin International Piano Competition [Re: bennevis]
Talik Offline

Originally Posted By: bennevis

Lets not forget the great Maria Joao Pires, also an exclusive Yamaha artist.

#1540569 - 10/21/10 09:56 PM Re: Yamaha CFX wins Chopin International Piano Competition [Re: Beacon Chris]
Piano-on-Hudson Offline

Indeed it is!
Yamaha CP33
Stride piano -ø- Composition -ø- Photography -ø- Marketing -ø- PR -ø- Artist Management

#1540572 - 10/21/10 10:02 PM Re: Yamaha CFX wins Chopin International Piano Competition [Re: bennevis]
Piano-on-Hudson Offline

The Yamaha relationship isn't based on exclusivity but a mutually-beneficial relationship wherein the two sides work together as often as possible. In some cases, there is virtual exclusivity, but no maker can truly demand this in most situations. Abbey Simon, in fact, joined the Yamaha roster sometime around 2001. Prior to that, he was a Baldwin Artist (and a heavily-recorded one), and prior to that, he played the Steinway.
Yamaha CP33

#1540728 - 10/22/10 03:25 AM Re: Yamaha CFX wins Chopin International Piano Competition [Re: Piano-on-Hudson]
plumpfingers Offline

Loc: Northern California
Anyone played a CFX? If so, Impressions? Do any Yamaha dealers have them available now or are they being released later?

#1540775 - 10/22/10 06:37 AM Re: Yamaha CFX wins Chopin International Piano Competition [Re: jazzyprof]
bennevis Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Does the CFX replace the CF111?

#1540819 - 10/22/10 07:46 AM Re: Yamaha CFX wins Chopin International Piano Competition [Re: bennevis]
Piano-on-Hudson Offline

The CFX replaces the CFIIIS. The model is released, but a waiting list is forming for purchases. It's a brand-new product, after all, and hand-made.
Yamaha CP33

#1540822 - 10/22/10 07:51 AM Re: Yamaha CFX wins Chopin International Piano Competition [Re: jazzyprof]
Rich Galassini Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia/South Jersey
James,

I examined and auditioned this piano at NAMM this past January. I can tell you that it is like no other Yamaha I have ever seen in material, design, or performance.

That is a good thing.
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Get Cunningham Piano Email Updates

#1540879 - 10/22/10 09:39 AM Re: Yamaha CFX wins Chopin International Piano Competition [Re: Piano-on-Hudson]
Beacon Chris Offline

Loc: Moscow, ID
Originally Posted By: Coordinator
Indeed it is!

These must really be a series of incredible concerts. I had the pleasure of performing with the Pittsburgh Symphony in 2009 and was astonished with their sense of cohesion and their stand-out players in the wind sections. I would place their current ensemble at the very top of the current American orchestral scene.

Also, their music director, Manfred Honeck, is truly brilliant and a great person. Can you tell I love Pittsburgh? grin

Edited by Beacon Chris (10/22/10 09:40 AM)

I never had much interest in the piano until I realized that every time I played, a girl would appear on the piano bench to my left and another to my right. - Duke Ellington

#1540916 - 10/22/10 10:48 AM Re: Yamaha CFX wins Chopin International Piano Competition [Re: jazzyprof]
pianoloverus Offline

Can someone explain the differences between the older Yamaha CFIII and the new CFX?

I am not concerned with the cosmetic differences because I am already aware of those. I am interested in the differences in tone/touch and design changes(I realize some of the design differences are proprietory) that cause the differences.

Thanks!

#1540928 - 10/22/10 11:00 AM Re: Yamaha CFX wins Chopin International Piano Competition [Re: pianoloverus]
TomazP Offline

Loc: Ucluelet, BC Canada
Check out the Yamaha web site; they have an extensive list of "improvements"

#1540963 - 10/22/10 11:52 AM Re: Yamaha CFX wins Chopin International Piano Competition [Re: TomazP]
pianoloverus Offline

Originally Posted By: TomazP
Check out the Yamaha web site; they have an extensive list of "improvements"
Been searching the Yamaha site for 15 minutes with no luck. Can someone give me the link for the CFX improvements?

#1540999 - 10/22/10 12:55 PM Re: Yamaha CFX wins Chopin International Piano Competition [Re: pianoloverus]
schwammerl Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Belgium
pianoloverus,

This should be the link you are looking for?:

Yamaha Premium Pianos

schwammerl.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
More Bach (Ich Ruf Zu Dir)
by johnlewisgrant
6 minutes 44 seconds ago
Incredibly short fugue
by Pencil_skirts_and_
Yesterday at 10:50 PM
The piano made it home in time...
by Rich Galassini
Yesterday at 10:09 PM
Teachers: Do you use John Thomson method books?
by Morodiene
Yesterday at 09:36 PM
Funny but true...
by PhilipInChina
Yesterday at 08:56 PM
Who's Online
127 registered (AmateurBob, aesop, albumblatter, Alux, A Guy, 38 invisible), 1197 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76201 Members
42 Forums
157523 Topics
2313847 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission