2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (brennbaer, accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 12 invisible), 1,850 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1540606 10/21/10 10:50 PM
M
OP Offline
M
hi all! my name is Danielle and i recently found this site. im hoping that maybe someone can give me advice about buying a keyboard...i know pretty much nothing about them, but i really want to learn to play. i need something affordable but also decent quality. i know this topic must get repetitive, but im really lost as to what's what. i want to start playing within the next month or so, so any help would be greatly appreciated.. thanks smile

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hi Danielle. I purchased a Casio Celviano AP-220 from Amazon for $900. Great piano and worth every penny! smile

R
R
Originally Posted by mutinyrevolution
i need something affordable

Could you specify that a little bit. In which price range are you looking?

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Danielle,
Robin raises a good question about price. New pianos range from $300 to $15000. It would help if you could specify a range.

Also, I recommend the Piano Buyer's guide at:
http://www.pianobuyer.com

You'll find very good information there (covering digital pianos AND acoustics).

A portion of it (called Introduction to Buying a Digital Piano) was extracted from there, and posted to this site at:
http://www.pianoworld.com/Buying_A_Piano/buying_a_digital_piano.html

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Keyboard or Digital Piano? What features do you need, or what do you intend to do?

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by mutinyrevolution
hi all! my name is Danielle and i recently found this site. im hoping that maybe someone can give me advice about buying a keyboard...

You will get the best advice if you say more about yourself, your goals and your budget. can you play the piano at all right now? Do you need a portable piano. Must the piano look like and acoustic instrument?

Do you want to learn to play "piano" or "key board". A piano is a special kind of keyboard instrument that uses hammers to hit strings. "keyboard" can be an organ or "synth" and is a larger class of instruments. If your taste is in classical music you are likely looking at a piano but if hip hop or "house" that you are looking are synth keyboards and computers.

With so little information about yourself everyone will just tell you to buy whatever they own -- So get a Yamaha P155 and be done with it ;-)

P.S. I see the same thing in photography forums. When someone new asks "what should I buy" the answer is "I'm happy with my XXX, get that." But if they say "I have $1K to spend. I want to shoot mainly kids sports and I have access to the side lines, I used to shoot film based SLRs in the 70's" then they get all kinds of very specific and targeted advice that is actually useful. (I'd tell that person to buy a 70-200 f/2.8 zoom and then whatever body the remaining budget can cover.)

M
OP Offline
M
sorry for being so vague everyone..my price range is around $900-$1000. i need something thats portable and is not too large. i think i want to mostly focus on classical music, but i would like to keep my options open i suppose. and i cannot really play the piano at all, i took classes in jr. high, but that was a while ago lol.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission