2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (20/20 Vision, 36251, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, 10 invisible), 1,461 guests, and 299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mostly
One could object that classical music often is an acquired taste - and how could people acquire it if they aren't exposed to classical ?

Sometimes art and culture isn't as simple as just "liking it" ; sometimes you need time, education, hard work even. Not everything is "ready to be liked".

If we're talking about liking music for music's sake, then it is that simple. In fact, that's a good litmus test. As far as culture goes, that's another subject entirely. You shouldn't have to study the culture the music came from to like it. You either do or don't. Amazing how so many think they need to 'understand' something other than actually enjoying what they are hearing.

Perfect example ... I hate brussels sprouts. You can tell me they're good for me. You can tell me how healthy they are. It won't matter. I'll still hate em.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by eweiss
If we're talking about liking music for music's sake, then it is that simple. In fact, that's a good litmus test. As far as culture goes, that's another subject entirely. You shouldn't have to study the culture the music came from to like it. You either do or don't. Amazing how so many think they need to 'understand' something other than actually enjoying what they are hearing.

But it makes such a difference if you do study it. And it kind of opens your eyes to it. Instead of thinking Prokofiev got inspired by video games.. or something retarded.. you could read up on Prokofiev, or the war, or Russian history.

I used to hate Shostakovich before I started giving it a chance, and particularly reading about his life and how he composed music. Then I understood a lot of things, it just clicked. Of course it would've been different if I lived back then, when his works were premiered and people loved them - because I would've understood the exact circumstances and the way people felt. But without knowing any of that, it's quite easy actually to dismiss a composer such as Shost.

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Another example. Rap music. You could say ... if you don't understand the culture, you won't get it or like it. I don't like rap music. I 'get' the culture it comes from. Still don't like it.

Why is it so hard for some to admit they don't like something and leave it at that? No need to force feed 'culture' to someone. Judge and evaluate music on its own terms.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I didn't say that studying the culture will automatically make you like the music. But it still has a chance that once you understand it better you will see it in a different way. Don't dismiss something simply because you have no clue about any aspect of it. Ignorance is bliss, eh?

Sure, judge music on its own terms but really, you're going to refuse a little bit of extra educaton about something? Why? If anything, it's interesting on its own. It's not that difficult to read a book.

Last edited by Pogorelich.; 10/23/10 12:45 PM.

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Classical music is sure going strong in Asia.

Elene

M
M
One could object that classical music often is an acquired taste - and how could people acquire it if they aren't exposed to classical ?

Sometimes art and culture isn't as simple as just "liking it" ; sometimes you need time, education, hard work even. Not everything is "ready to be liked".

Perfect example ... I hate brussels sprouts. You can tell me they're good for me. You can tell me how healthy they are. It won't matter. I'll still hate em.

You obviously have no clue.
Having a weird feeling, I checked your post history, and saw a few points you tried to make on this forum ; then it all came back to me.

Even your example with the brussels sprouts shows you don't really understand what I meant, and I do believe I conveyed my point decently. Would a great French chef working in a famous restaurant use brussels sprouts in some of his cooking, even if he himself doesn't like them ? He probably would, because he knows that for centuries, people have come up with great menus involving brussels sprouts, and that they can provide an enjoyement different than other foods.
It has nothing to do with how healthy they make you, how intelligent you need to be to eat them, how knowledgeable of the brussels sprouts history you are ; it has to do with learning how to appreciate (and here, make) fine cuisine. That's also why cooking can be an art form, and not simply a mean of sustaining yourself to live another day.

I really have nothing against you, but your close-mindedness is a widespread plague, and apparently a cure has yet to be found.

"Understanding" a taste for something is really different that understanding a mathematical equation.
You might not like brussel sprouts because they taste bad, and one could make that argument. But a dish with brussel sprouts in them ? Many dishes have a very complex taste, made of several flavors, that need rigorous training (and lots of practice) to be perceived. Likewise, much of classical music require an ear (that is to say : a brain) trained to perceive what makes it good. Because it is a complex object, and at best, trying to perceive it as a whole "as is", you would only hear a blurred mess.
That's why "pop"(ular) music exists ; it doesn't require much training to be enjoyed because it is relatively simple most of the time (or on a different complexity level, relying on sounds rather than pitches, etc.)

Last edited by Mostly; 10/23/10 01:46 PM.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
It has nothing to do with how healthy they make you, how intelligent you need to be to eat them, how knowledgeable of the brussels sprouts history you are ; it has to do with learning how to appreciate (and here, make) fine cuisine.

No need to learn how to appreciate something. Life's too short. You like it or you don't. For example, do you like tuna testicles? Because that's what I saw the host of Bizarre Foods eat on the Travel network. He didn't seem to like it even after an explanation of how good it is for you.

I really have nothing against you, but your close-mindedness is a widespread plague, and apparently a cure has yet to be found.

Widespread plague?

Likewise, much of classical music require an ear (that is to say : a brain) trained to perceive what makes it good. Because it is a complex object, and at best, trying to perceive it as a whole "as is", you would only hear a blurred mess.

No brain required here either. You either like it or not. For example, I just was turned on to George Crumb right on this forum. Never heard of him before. I listened to this 'classical' music and liked it immediately. All that is required is to listen.

M
M
*sadface*

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
My wife dragged me to an art museum with one of her friends. Her friend went up to one of the docents and asked "what can you tell me about this painting?"

As if she couldn't learn all she needed by just looking at it and evaluating it on her own. There's no need to look to an external source when 'evaluating' art. Trust your initial reactions. Something people have a hard time with because they think they're supposed to think or feel a certain way. Usually the way the 'experts' tell them to.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
to each his own

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
K
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
K
My wife dragged me to an art museum with one of her friends. Her friend went up to one of the docents and asked "what can you tell me about this painting?"

As if she couldn't learn all she needed by just looking at it and evaluating it on her own. There's no need to look to an external source when 'evaluating' art. Trust your initial reactions. Something people have a hard time with because they think they're supposed to think or feel a certain way. Usually the way the 'experts' tell them to.

If someone's initial reaction to an explanation about art is one of enjoyment, should they dismiss it because an expert told them that is not the way to enjoy art? How about if someone regularly notices that they more deeply enjoy art, even art they already enjoy, once they know more about it? Should they then dismiss those feelings because an expert tells them they shouldn't experience art with any external insight beyond the art itself?

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
New and Used Piano Sales, Expert Rebuilding and Service
www.pianocraft.net
check out www.sitkadoc.com/ and www.vimeo.com/203188875
www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
You obviously have no clue.
Having a weird feeling, I checked your post history, and saw a few points you tried to make on this forum ; then it all came back to me.

Checked your post history too. Now it all makes sense.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Keith D Kerman
If someone's initial reaction to an explanation about art is one of enjoyment, should they dismiss it because an expert told them that is not the way to enjoy art?

Of course not. But why bother with that when the painting is hanging right in front of you.

How about if someone regularly notices that they more deeply enjoy art, even art they already enjoy, once they know more about it? Should they then dismiss those feelings because an expert tells them they shouldn't experience art with any external insight beyond the art itself?

I can only tell you how I would approach it. For example, I mentioned liking the music of George Crumb. Never heard of him before. Never read about him. I listened to his music and liked it. Now, if I want to learn more, I can without bringing in an 'experts' bias telling me why I should or shouldn't like it. smile

btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
One wonders whether Dale Hendersen isn’t giving classical music a bad name ... his scraping of the cello with his dismal Bach repetitions are an insult to the world of classical music ...
the cello has been used to grand effect in so many masterpieces ... one thinks immediately of the works of Dvorak (or the familiar Swan in Saint-Saens Carnival of the Animals.)

Or is Dale just practising in company to get the feel the stage prior to an examination ?

K
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
K
I once tasted a cheese that I thought was terrible. An expert told me to try that cheese again with a specific wine. The combination was sublime.
I hated sushi upon first trying it. I tried it again and still hated it. Because I was dating a girl that loved sushi, I kept trying it. About the 7th time I tried sushi, something shocking happened. It became deliceous. It is now one of my favorite foods.

Music and art can be that way.

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
www.pianocraft.net

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
eweiss, your opinion is respected just like any other here, but I'm starting to see a pattern here. You are free to express your opinion, but this is starting to turn into a fight... AGAIN.

Currently working on: Perfecting the Op 2/1, studying the 27/2 last movement. Chopin Nocturne 32/2 and Posth. C#m, 'Raindrop' prelude and Etude 10/9
Repetoire: Beethoven op 2/1, 10/1(1st, 2nd), 13, 14/1, 27/1(1st, 2nd), 27/2, 28(1st, 2nd), 31/2(1st, 3rd), 49/1, 49/2, 78(1st), 79, 90, 101(1st)
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Nikolas
... So it's not that weird that people haven't heard the Bach cello suite! In fact I haven't and I don't feel that bad with myself!

Nikolas, you can't be serious.. Are you??

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Andromaque
Originally Posted by Nikolas
... So it's not that weird that people haven't heard the Bach cello suite! In fact I haven't and I don't feel that bad with myself!

Nikolas, you can't be serious.. Are you??
Actually I am... I don't think I've heard the piece, unless it's also transcribed to a number of different instrumentations (which is the case to some Baroque or earlier works for semi-obvious reasons).

And, yes, I don't feel that bad that I don't know a single work pointed out...

Angelina: Bach vs little 'ol me? heh... I think I'd love any help I could get, but anyhow let's not get into this.

Let me rephrase myself, because I probably went a little too far: A nice gesture, that's for sure. I don't think any music genre is dying, and certainly not Bach's music. At the same time I think that the story is not news worthy, while it is extremely nice. That's all I think. The Joshua Bell, as I said, was aiming at the opposite idea (that nobody actually took notice), and as such it was interesting as an experiment. Not to mention that Joshua did it for a couple of days I think, or maybe a week, while this guys is doing it for a long time apparently!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I once tasted a cheese that I thought was terrible. An expert told me to try that cheese again with a specific wine. The combination was sublime.
I hated sushi upon first trying it. I tried it again and still hated it. Because I was dating a girl that loved sushi, I kept trying it. About the 7th time I tried sushi, something shocking happened. It became deliceous. It is now one of my favorite foods.

That was a good analogy. I'm starting to bend. smile

K
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
K

That was a good analogy. I'm starting to bend. smile

Soon my analogy will have you spending time with music you hate while dining on brussel sprouts! Muahahaha!!

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
www.pianocraft.net

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission