Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1541755 - 10/23/10 02:03 PM Zoom Q3 - review needed
CebuKid Offline
1000 Post Club Member

So, so sorry. I tried to search the archives, but anything with the word "zoom" comes up. I may get a Zoom Q3, and I know other forum members have this, but I couldn't find the old posts.

Please give me a review. I'd like an "all-in-one" device, and also, my flip-corder doesn't have a mic. output jack, so a Zoom H1 isn't feasible.

Overall, do you like the audio quality of the Q3? I just browsed a few YouTube videos that used the Q3, and the quality is pretty good to me.

Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
- Berthold Auerbach

(ads P/S)
Sauter Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1541763 - 10/23/10 02:11 PM Re: Zoom Q3 - review needed [Re: CebuKid]
Frozenicicles Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
This might be the thread that you're looking for. I have one and I'm pretty happy with it. All my videos are recorded with the Q3. It's convenient because you don't need to do much editing.

#1541765 - 10/23/10 02:13 PM Re: Zoom Q3 - review needed [Re: CebuKid]
eweiss Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Beautiful San Diego, CA
Here's a video I did recorded on the Q3

Converted the .mov file using Any Video Converter.

#1541844 - 10/23/10 04:19 PM Re: Zoom Q3 - review needed [Re: CebuKid]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
For easy video recording with decent sound quality at a reasonable price, it's hard to beat the Zoom Q3. If you're curious, you can check out my youtube channel; many of the videos there were made using the Q3. (I always specify the recording setup in the comments.) I also have a few videos with H4 audio, if you want to compare.

That being said, for pure audio recording, I prefer my H4. The problem with the Zoom Q3 is that it is not possible to import the files into audacity (or, at least, I haven't figured out how to do so), which means that I am not able to normalize the audio portion of the file. And it's hard to tinker with the recording levels to get the volume at the right point. So I still use my H4 to record .wav files to burn to CD, while simultaneously recording with the Q3 for YouTube purposes, and I just put up with the lower than desirable volumes on my Q3 videos.

I sure wish Q3 would come out with a HD version, though. I'm tempted by all the beautiful HD videos I see on YouTube that people are making with the Flip HD, but I am too cheap/lazy to buy one and edit my H4 audio to the Flip video. (The Flip audio is not adequate, imo.)

#1541880 - 10/23/10 05:02 PM Re: Zoom Q3 - review needed [Re: CebuKid]
BenPiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
Originally Posted By: CebuKid

Please give me a review. I'd like an "all-in-one" device, and also, my flip-corder doesn't have a mic. output jack, so a Zoom H1 isn't feasible.

I've got a flip vidoe recoded too, and using the Zoom H1 with it really isn't so bad. Most vedeo editing software will allow one to add audio and adjust the position of the audio so one can sync the two.

Another benefit is that I can put the audio recorder right above the open lid of my upright. Plus , at about 100$ us it's a good deal if you alredy have the video recorder.

Just my 2 cents. grin

#1541896 - 10/23/10 05:23 PM Re: Zoom Q3 - review needed [Re: CebuKid]
GlassLove Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan
I think that the sound quality is very nice. You cannot beat the convenience of having both audio and video together. To be honest, I haven't explored editing possibilities yet, being the technological dolt that I am, it will take a bit of time to do so. However, for the purposes I use my Zoom Q3 for right now (recording my weekly improvements, recording aspects of my lessons, recording my sons playing their instruments), I am really happy with it. Hope that this helps.

#1541947 - 10/23/10 06:31 PM Re: Zoom Q3 - review needed [Re: BenPiano]
CebuKid Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Ben, Monica, and Icicles: I have spent lots of time on all your channels, and I do quite like the sound quality (and of course your playing too).

Monica, I remember your old posting where you weren't quite satisfied with the sound quality of the Q3 (and had to revert back to the Q4), so this had me a little concerned. Icicles, thanks for reposting the thread. I read through it, and now understand how you got around it.

eweiss, thanks for posting your link too. I think both the sound and video is awesome. I don't need HD quality for piano videos, as I'm more interested in the sound quality.

@Ben, I saw your new videos with the H1, and they're great. Unfortunately, my JVC Everio has no mic. output, otherwise I would've gotten the H1 too...

PS-I start my new job in November so I'll be getting myself a Christmas present...maybe an early one for the recital. laugh

Edited by CebuKid (10/23/10 06:34 PM)

- Berthold Auerbach

#1542111 - 10/23/10 10:32 PM Re: Zoom Q3 - review needed [Re: CebuKid]
Monica K. Offline

Hmm... maybe I came across more pessimistic than I intended to, cebukid. I wouldn't say that I wasn't "quite satisfied" with the Q3 sound, and I am indeed still using it for YouTube purposes. But I like the H4 sound a smidgeon better and record with it at the same time for purposes of burning to CD. smile

#1542867 - 10/25/10 04:54 AM Re: Zoom Q3 - review needed [Re: Monica K.]
Pianosaurus Rex Offline

Originally Posted By: Monica K.
I sure wish Q3 would come out with a HD version, though. I'm tempted by all the beautiful HD videos I see on YouTube that people are making with the Flip HD, but I am too cheap/lazy to buy one and edit my H4 audio to the Flip video. (The Flip audio is not adequate, imo.)

http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/q3hd/

I'm waiting for that one to come out. With a bit of luck I can get it just in time to make a recording for the ABF recital.

I'd also need to get my pieces recital-ready and my piano freshly tuned, of course.

Student/apprentice technician

#1542987 - 10/25/10 09:59 AM Re: Zoom Q3 - review needed [Re: CebuKid]
Monica K. Offline

oh man... you DID have to show me that, didn't you?!?

Guess I know what's going to be on my Christmas list.

#1543021 - 10/25/10 10:53 AM Re: Zoom Q3 - review needed [Re: CebuKid]
Monica K. Offline

Ooh... Sweetwater is showing the Q3HD as being "available very soon." Of course, that's what they said about the Q3 for maybe six straight months. laugh

But I emailed the catalog page to my hubby and hinted strongly that I would be asking Santa for one for Christmas. wink

#1543055 - 10/25/10 11:50 AM Re: Zoom Q3 - review needed [Re: CebuKid]
Entheo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: chicago, il
i have a zoom q3; click on my youtube link below for recordings with it.

things i like about it: good sound quality; easy to use; easy to post-process and upload

things i don't like about it: audio & video in one unit (so you're always compromising either camera location or mic location); does NOT have a mid gain - only high, low and auto (this is my biggest complaint, and that doesn't change with the Q3 HD)

things i don't care about: HD

all in all i'm happy with it.

#1543115 - 10/25/10 01:09 PM Re: Zoom Q3 - review needed [Re: Monica K.]
TTigg Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
oh man... you DID have to show me that, didn't you?!?

Guess I know what's going to be on my Christmas list.

VERY tempting indeed!
- Steve

My You Tube | My Box.net

#1543130 - 10/25/10 01:26 PM Re: Zoom Q3 - review needed [Re: CebuKid]
liszt85 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

How much does it cost?
Next in line:
Chopin: Ballade No. 1 in G minor, Op.23
Debussy: Le vent dans la plaine (Prelude 3, Book 1)
Debussy: Les sons et les parfums tournent dans l'air du soir (Prelude 4, Book 1)

#1543141 - 10/25/10 01:39 PM Re: Zoom Q3 - review needed [Re: liszt85]
TTigg Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: liszt85
How much does it cost?

Current street price is $299. I remember when I jumped on the H2 yonks ago, this time I'm going to hold out for prob 6mths and pick one up for $199 hopefully.

Besides I'm saving for my iPad although I torn since I know next year (Q2?) they're going to produce v2.0 with a bloody retina screen cursing

Very much looking forward to condensing my sheet music library into one easy to carry around device. The other great thing is I can store my music on there also as a reference as to how the pieces are supposed to be played.

OK sorry kind of went off on a side loop there smile
- Steve

My You Tube | My Box.net

#1543157 - 10/25/10 01:52 PM Re: Zoom Q3 - review needed [Re: Monica K.]
beet31425 Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bay Area, CA
That being said, for pure audio recording, I prefer my H4. The problem with the Zoom Q3 is that it is not possible to import the files into audacity (or, at least, I haven't figured out how to do so), which means that I am not able to normalize the audio portion of the file.

Hi Monica-

I also have a Zoom Q3, and I am able to import the files into audacity or whatever else. When you plug your Zoom Q3 into your computer, you should see a folder pop up on your desktop, just as if you had plugged in an external drive. If you drill into that folder a couple levels, you'll find the .wav files for everything on the Q3. You can then copy them onto your desktop. In fact, that's the only way I transfer files from my Q3 to my computer. I don't use any special software that might have come with the recorder.

(In fact, my complaint about the Q3 is that I find I *have* to normalize the audio-- on the low input setting it's too soft, and on the high input setting it gets loud and distorted; my solution is to record on low and then normalize. I find this very unsatisfactory; maybe I'm doing something wrong. I'll make some tests and ask about them later on.)

-Jason

#1543196 - 10/25/10 02:30 PM Re: Zoom Q3 - review needed [Re: Entheo]
CebuKid Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Entheo
i have a zoom q3; click on my youtube link below for recordings with it.

things i like about it: good sound quality; easy to use; easy to post-process and upload

things i don't like about it: audio & video in one unit (so you're always compromising either camera location or mic location); does NOT have a mid gain - only high, low and auto (this is my biggest complaint, and that doesn't change with the Q3 HD)

things i don't care about: HD

all in all i'm happy with it.

You have a very nice repertoire and I have subbed to your channel. smile

Upon a lot of side discussions with BenPiano (thanks Ben!), I have decided to "go cheap" and get the Zoom H1. I like the sound quality, and I won't have to compromise mic. location.

I'm "tech-savvy" (and patient) enough to blend audio and video to get a decent YouTube video and audio recording. My JVC Everio does have HD functionality so I don't ever have to worry about video quality either. Plus, I'd like to start recording my practice sessions more often, audio only, and would like to get optimal sound quality.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the feedback on Q3. smile Maybe one day when it's cheaper, I'll buy it.

Edited by CebuKid (10/25/10 02:31 PM)

- Berthold Auerbach

#1543207 - 10/25/10 02:40 PM Re: Zoom Q3 - review needed [Re: CebuKid]
BenPiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
Glad I could help, you'll be happy with it!

On a side note, after listening to a couple of other pieces I've recorded on my new H1, I think the recording sounds better than hearing the upright live in the room it's in. It seems kind of strange that it would, but I'm really digging this thing so far.

Now only if it could help me hit the right notes. laugh

#1543248 - 10/25/10 03:41 PM Re: Zoom Q3 - review needed [Re: beet31425]
Monica K. Offline

Originally Posted By: beet31425
That being said, for pure audio recording, I prefer my H4. The problem with the Zoom Q3 is that it is not possible to import the files into audacity (or, at least, I haven't figured out how to do so), which means that I am not able to normalize the audio portion of the file.

Hi Monica-

I also have a Zoom Q3, and I am able to import the files into audacity or whatever else. When you plug your Zoom Q3 into your computer, you should see a folder pop up on your desktop, just as if you had plugged in an external drive. If you drill into that folder a couple levels, you'll find the .wav files for everything on the Q3. You can then copy them onto your desktop. In fact, that's the only way I transfer files from my Q3 to my computer. I don't use any special software that might have come with the recorder.

(In fact, my complaint about the Q3 is that I find I *have* to normalize the audio-- on the low input setting it's too soft, and on the high input setting it gets loud and distorted; my solution is to record on low and then normalize. I find this very unsatisfactory; maybe I'm doing something wrong. I'll make some tests and ask about them later on.)

-Jason

Hmmm... I could've sworn that when I tried to import my Q3 files into audacity, the program bombed. Are you recording audio only? Or both audio and video? Maybe I was importing the video portion and not the .wav portion. I will definitely go back and fiddle with it some more, because I'd love to normalize the volume on my videos.

#1543318 - 10/25/10 05:29 PM Re: Zoom Q3 - review needed [Re: CebuKid]
custard apple Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney
Hi Monica
I also use Jason's technique.
I've never used the video function on my ZoomQ3, only the audio.
My computer can take a couple of minutes to recognise I have plugged in the ZoomQ3.

#1543328 - 10/25/10 05:48 PM Re: Zoom Q3 - review needed [Re: Monica K.]
Pianosaurus Rex Offline

Ooh... Sweetwater is showing the Q3HD as being "available very soon." Of course, that's what they said about the Q3 for maybe six straight months. laugh

But I emailed the catalog page to my hubby and hinted strongly that I would be asking Santa for one for Christmas. wink

The website of a Dutch music store says they'll have it in stock November the 2nd, and they sell it for €296.

Quite pricey but I might get it. If I do you'll notice at the next ABF recital. smile

Student/apprentice technician

#1543332 - 10/25/10 05:51 PM Re: Zoom Q3 - review needed [Re: Entheo]
salzdt Offline

Loc: Greenport, New York
Entheo,
I checked out your yutube recordings, and the audio sounds pretty good. Do you find placing the recorder behind the piano gives you better audio. I saw some some recordings with the recorder near the keyboard. Do you use audacity to convert you files? Really enjoyed listening thumb
Dot

#1543393 - 10/25/10 06:45 PM Re: Zoom Q3 - review needed [Re: TTigg]
Emeritus Offline

Loc: Maine
Originally Posted By: TTigg
Originally Posted By: liszt85
How much does it cost?

Current street price is $299. I remember when I jumped on the H2 yonks ago, this time I'm going to hold out for prob 6mths and pick one up for $199 hopefully.

- Steve

Currently Sweetwater has the Zoom Q3 listed for $199

#1543403 - 10/25/10 06:55 PM Re: Zoom Q3 - review needed [Re: Monica K.]
beet31425 Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bay Area, CA
Hmmm... I could've sworn that when I tried to import my Q3 files into audacity, the program bombed. Are you recording audio only? Or both audio and video? Maybe I was importing the video portion and not the .wav portion. I will definitely go back and fiddle with it some more, because I'd love to normalize the volume on my videos.

I'm not sure how you're doing your importing. In more detail than before, here's how I import videos: when I plug my Q3 into my laptop via the USB port, an icon named Q3_SD appears on my desktop, and I go through the following folder hierarchy: Q3_SD -> DCIM -> 100_ZOOM. Inside 100_ZOOM, I find all the videos, as .mov files, that are on my Q3. (They're .mov files, not .wav files as I incorrectly stated earlier.) Once you're copied the .mov files onto your desktop, you should be able to import them into Audacity or whatever.

I hope that helps.

-Jason

#1543404 - 10/25/10 06:59 PM Re: Zoom Q3 - review needed [Re: CebuKid]
eweiss Offline
2000 Post Club Member

You don't even have to do that. Just set the recorder for audio recording only and it will generate the file type you select. I use a higher MP3 setting. It will then generate an mp3 file. Easy breezy.

#1543407 - 10/25/10 07:01 PM Re: Zoom Q3 - review needed [Re: salzdt]
Entheo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: chicago, il
Originally Posted By: salzdt
Entheo,
I checked out your yutube recordings, and the audio sounds pretty good. Do you find placing the recorder behind the piano gives you better audio. I saw some some recordings with the recorder near the keyboard. Do you use audacity to convert you files? Really enjoyed listening thumb
Dot

thanks salzdt and cebukid for listening!

i'm actually placing the Q3 on a mini-tripod ON the piano's plate itself, inside the piano. since sound quality is top priority this is the location that i've found is the best. hence, most of my videos are shot from that angle. as i said earlier, one of the drawbacks of the Q3 is the inability to separate the camera from the mics. of course i'd prefer to have the camera on the keyboard and the mics on the soundboard, but i didn't want to fuss too much with the technology when it comes time to record, and with the Q3 you just press Record and away you go.

the Q3 comes with a built-in editing application, but it's just for cropping the video. i've tried post-processing with Quicktime Pro, but when uploaded to youtube it gets compressed and loses my settings. so what you hear is pretty much the way the Q3 captures the sound, with its current settings (low noise filter off, auto gain, etc.)

i got mine off of ebay from unique_squared_inc; package deal with extra memory and a bunch of other goodies; @ $200. i highly recommend getting an AC adaptor as well.

cheers.

#1543472 - 10/25/10 08:21 PM Re: Zoom Q3 - review needed [Re: eweiss]
custard apple Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney
Hi eweiss
Where do I find the mp3 and the higher mp3 setting ?
My files are currently wav. Will mp3 give a better sound ?

#1543480 - 10/25/10 08:28 PM Re: Zoom Q3 - review needed [Re: CebuKid]
eweiss Offline
2000 Post Club Member

All your Zoom Q3 questions answered here http://tromboneforum.org/index.php?topic=49215.0 I know. It's a trombone forum. But you'll be surprised at how good the info is. smile

#1543514 - 10/25/10 09:33 PM Re: Zoom Q3 - review needed [Re: Entheo]
BillM Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland
Originally Posted By: Entheo

thanks salzdt and cebukid for listening!

Entheo

Add me to the list of folks who watched and listened to your videos. I was most impressed with both the skill of your playing and the quality of your recordings.

Do you get any hiss or white noise with the Zoom Q3 (I didn't hear any in the videos)? I currently use a Flip HD camera for both my video and audio and although it is ok for my purposes I do get an annoying hiss that is quite audible through headphones.
Piano Vocals of Old Guy Tunes

#1543530 - 10/25/10 10:15 PM Re: Zoom Q3 - review needed [Re: eweiss]
CebuKid Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: eweiss
All your Zoom Q3 questions answered here http://tromboneforum.org/index.php?topic=49215.0 I know. It's a trombone forum. But you'll be surprised at how good the info is. smile

LOL..sorry..I can't help it. A trombone forum? Now, that's as geeky as it gets...LOL.

PS-I was a band geek too, so I'm "allowed" to poke fun. smokin

PPS-Trombone forum conjured up images from this movie (although he's not playing a trombone)..lol:

Edited by CebuKid (10/25/10 10:21 PM)

- Berthold Auerbach

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
144 registered (ando, alfredo capurso, Almaviva, 36251, 50 invisible), 1488 Guests and 35 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74264 Members
42 Forums
153616 Topics
2251433 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Understanding Sharps
by imustlearn
15 minutes 26 seconds ago
When a beginner is not a beginner anymore?
by Eight Octaves
24 minutes 23 seconds ago
DEBUSSY-"Serenade for the Doll" from 'Children's Corner'
by Hal Freedman
Today at 07:14 PM
Worth buying a new digital piano as a controller?
by slickvguy
Today at 05:49 PM
Video clip for classical music?
by Nikolas
Today at 05:43 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission