Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
64 registered (ando, barbaram, anamnesis, AtlantisHero, Artur Gajewski, AndyJoe, 14 invisible), 1197 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1543555 - 10/25/10 11:05 PM Re: Zoom Q3 - review needed [Re: BillM]
Entheo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: chicago, il
Originally Posted By: b528nf7
Do you get any hiss or white noise with the Zoom Q3 (I didn't hear any in the videos)? I currently use a Flip HD camera for both my video and audio and although it is ok for my purposes I do get an annoying hiss that is quite audible through headphones.

thanks bill!

no, no hiss or white noise. the Q3 has fairly high quality condenser mics, which distinguishes it from other camcorders. i too looked at the Flips, but sound quality trumped video quality for my purposes. if only the new Q3HD had a mid-gain, they'd be primed to take a bigger share of the home grown youtube music recording mkt IMHO.

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1543835 - 10/26/10 10:05 AM Re: Zoom Q3 - review needed [Re: Monica K.]
salzdt Offline

Loc: Greenport, New York
Hi Momica,
I just listened to your recording of Canon in D, really enjpoyed your playing. For someone self taught you deserve a big thumb. I have the zoom Q3and have recorded only in the audio, converted files with Audcity and uploaded to ABF recital, I have not used the video, 1. I'camera shy, 2. not sure if audacity will handle vieo. So my question is, if you upload a recording to Youtbe, is it easier to upload from Youtube to ABF recital.
Dot

#1543860 - 10/26/10 10:35 AM Re: Zoom Q3 - review needed [Re: salzdt]
cruiser Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cornwall, England
I have a Zoom H2, the sound clarity from which I'm more than happy with.

For shooting HD videos with quality sound and having the ability to position the camera and mic separately, whilst obviating the need for time consuming video/sound editing, my solution will probably be to buy this camera which, crucially, has an input for an external mic, such as the H2. In this price bracket I believe it's unique in offering this function.

#1544867 - 10/27/10 04:31 PM Re: Zoom Q3 - review needed [Re: CebuKid]
AlleyKatt Offline

Loc: Wisconsin, USA
Thanks for the link Cruiser. This looks like the perfect option for me. I do already have the Flip HD but am not happy with the audio for piano recordings. I also have a Zoom H2 in which I'm extrememly happy with the audio. I'd like to try video but don't really want to spend a lot to upgrade. This looks like a great solution at an affordable price and reviews are pretty good too!

http://www.youtube.com/user/Alleycat299

#1545016 - 10/27/10 09:30 PM Re: Zoom Q3 - review needed [Re: beet31425]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Originally Posted By: beet31425

I'm not sure how you're doing your importing. In more detail than before, here's how I import videos: when I plug my Q3 into my laptop via the USB port, an icon named Q3_SD appears on my desktop, and I go through the following folder hierarchy: Q3_SD -> DCIM -> 100_ZOOM. Inside 100_ZOOM, I find all the videos, as .mov files, that are on my Q3. (They're .mov files, not .wav files as I incorrectly stated earlier.) Once you're copied the .mov files onto your desktop, you should be able to import them into Audacity or whatever.

I hope that helps.

-Jason

I really do appreciate the step by step directions (which is exactly what I need... whome )

But... when I do exactly the procedure you describe, I get the following error message: "Audacity recognized the type of file [and here it just repeats the long file name]. Importers supposedly supporting such files are: FFmpeg-compatible files, but none of them understood this file format."

So I'm massively confused. I get this error message, incidentally, whether I try to import the file directly from the Zoom vs. copying it to the desktop first. And my zoom file is a .mov file, just as you describe. So why isn't it working for me?!?!?

(I'm running Windows 7, but I got this error when I tried on my old computer with Windows XP. I'm also running the latest audacity version, but I got this error when I tried it with an earlier version on my old computer. I'm baffled.)

I also get this error if I try it with the raw Zoom file vs. the "finished movie" version you get after editing it with the bundled Zoom software and then saving it to the computer.

#1545018 - 10/27/10 09:35 PM Re: Zoom Q3 - review needed [Re: salzdt]
Monica K. Offline

Originally Posted By: salzdt
Hi Momica,
I just listened to your recording of Canon in D, really enjpoyed your playing. For someone self taught you deserve a big thumb. I have the zoom Q3and have recorded only in the audio, converted files with Audacity and uploaded to ABF recital, I have not used the video, 1. I'camera shy, 2. not sure if audacity will handle vieo. So my question is, if you upload a recording to Youtbe, is it easier to upload from Youtube to ABF recital.
Dot

Hi Dot! Thank you so much for your nice compliments. That Canon arrangement is a pretty one, indeed.

If all you're working with are the audio files, it is easier and better to just upload to the AB forum recital from your computer, using the .mp3 file you created in Audacity (and I would normalize it first, too, for the reasons we've been talking about.) The recital software requires mp3 files, but YouTube files will generally be in other formats, e.g., .mov or .wma etc. YouTube also adds another layer of compression when uploading, so the quality won't be as good.

That being said, the recital template has a place for you to add a link to a YouTube video, and a lot of folks will both upload an mp3 file AND a YouTube link for their piece.

p.s. You don't have to be camera shy. With a judicious placement of tripod, you can arrange the video so it shows only your back or even just your hands. smile

#1545029 - 10/27/10 09:54 PM Re: Zoom Q3 - review needed [Re: Monica K.]
CebuKid Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Monica K.
The recital software requires mp3 files, but YouTube files will generally be in other formats, e.g., .mov or .wma etc. YouTube also adds another layer of compression when uploading, so the quality won't be as good.

That being said, the recital template has a place for you to add a link to a YouTube video, and a lot of folks will both upload an mp3 file AND a YouTube link for their piece.

For this last recital, I went very low-tech. and I converted my YouTube video to MP3. There's websites that do this for you - just google YouTube to MP3 conversion. The MP3 sounded horrible and artificial, and made my cheap Chinese piano sound even worse! I hope my Zoom H1 will improve the sound. My piano really doesn't sound that bad live, as it does in YouTube.

Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
- Berthold Auerbach

#1545040 - 10/27/10 10:19 PM Re: Zoom Q3 - review needed [Re: CebuKid]
eweiss Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Beautiful San Diego, CA
The Q3 also generates mp3 files. Just set the recorder to audio.

#1545056 - 10/27/10 10:47 PM Re: Zoom Q3 - review needed [Re: Monica K.]
beet31425 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bay Area, CA
Originally Posted By: Monica K.
Originally Posted By: beet31425

I'm not sure how you're doing your importing. In more detail than before, here's how I import videos: when I plug my Q3 into my laptop via the USB port, an icon named Q3_SD appears on my desktop, and I go through the following folder hierarchy: Q3_SD -> DCIM -> 100_ZOOM. Inside 100_ZOOM, I find all the videos, as .mov files, that are on my Q3. (They're .mov files, not .wav files as I incorrectly stated earlier.) Once you're copied the .mov files onto your desktop, you should be able to import them into Audacity or whatever.

I hope that helps.

-Jason

I really do appreciate the step by step directions (which is exactly what I need... whome )

But... when I do exactly the procedure you describe, I get the following error message: "Audacity recognized the type of file [and here it just repeats the long file name]. Importers supposedly supporting such files are: FFmpeg-compatible files, but none of them understood this file format."

So I'm massively confused....

Monica,

I'm out of my depth here-- I don't use Audacity. But a quick look online suggests to me that Audacity doesn't know how to import .mov files. If this is correct, then you can't take the .mov files produced by the Q3 and import them into Audacity. (It sort of makes sense, since Audacity is a program for sound editing, and .mov is a *video* file format.)

So, if you really want to first record video, and then edit the audio from that video, you'll have to use some other program to convert the video file to an audio file; e.g. convert the .mov file into an .mp3 file. I think itunes will do that for you.

On the other hand, if you don't care about the video at all, you can just use the Q3 in audio-only mode. Then it will produce a true audio file, not a .mov file, and you can import it into Audacity.

-Jason

#1545361 - 10/28/10 11:19 AM Re: Zoom Q3 - review needed [Re: CebuKid]
Monica K. Offline

Well, I'm glad to hear that it is indeed a fundamental incompatibility between audacity and .mov files, and not computer stupidity on my part. grin But I'm sorry there's not an easy fix. I could do what you suggest, but in that case, I'd be better off just using the H4 separately and then editing it onto the Q3 video. I guess I'll just live with the slightly softer than optimal volumes for the time being.

#1545681 - 10/28/10 09:33 PM Re: Zoom Q3 - review needed [Re: Monica K.]
salzdt Offline

Loc: Greenport, New York
Monica,
Thanks for the info. I think for now I will stick with just recoding audi o. When I have more time, I will fiddle with video.
Dot

#1545712 - 10/28/10 10:41 PM Re: Zoom Q3 - review needed [Re: CebuKid]
eweiss Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Beautiful San Diego, CA
I use Any Video Converter to convert .mov files to .wmv files. Works like a charm everytime.

#1545785 - 10/29/10 12:25 AM Re: Zoom Q3 - review needed [Re: eweiss]
CebuKid Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Okay so here's a recording with the H1 that I just got today. As BenPiano suggested, I put it right inside - lid open - and put it on a "ledge."

This is audio only, by the way (playing one of my familiar pieces) - the video is just my gals at the petting zoo. (but you're welcome to give me feedback on my home movie too...lol).

I think the audio quality is great - far better than my previous videos with the flip-corder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMjICp1yPv8

Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
- Berthold Auerbach

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!

Happy Thanksgiving!
Happy Thanksgiving!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Black Friday is here - Seen any deals?
by MeghanM
Today at 01:16 AM
MIDI in on a Kawai VPC-1...
by pocoapoco
Today at 12:35 AM
Just joined
by wise_manzard
Yesterday at 10:20 PM
LACHNIT MK22
by Vas
Yesterday at 09:27 PM
You Usually Get what you Pay for in this World.......
by Paul678
Yesterday at 08:22 PM
Forum Stats
77071 Members
42 Forums
159411 Topics
2341715 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission