2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (busa, clothearednincompo, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, benkeys, Burkhard, 5 invisible), 1,119 guests, and 253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
P
Truly stunningly beautiful piano and environment for it and for you. Congrats, and Enjoy!!!!

B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
I'll add my congratulations to everyone else. I have to say when I was looking at the photo sequence I thought they were moving the piano up the stairs and thought "Oh dear, those poor movers having to haul a D up a flight of steps". Of course now you'll never be able to move laugh

Beautiful piano and a lovely setting for it.

Greg
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

wow

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
A
A
Oh wow, it's beautiful! What a lovely, substantial instrument, and the space is perfect for it! I am crazy for your built-ins, but admit to being a sucker for library spaces, in general smile

Starting over after a decade-long hiatus from playing!
Yamaha CLP320

Burgmuller - Inquietude
S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
Jeepers, my piano dream. Congratulations!

"The true character of a man can be determined by witnessing what he does when no one is watching".

anon
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Congrats! Great piano and very nice space. Do makea recording some time.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
wow, I would be in heaven with a D in my house. I'm sure you're enjoying it.

Jack in TN

Plays:
Yamaha C5 grand (home)
Kawai KG5 grand (church)
Roland RD300GX digital (jazz group)
Congratulations!!! cool Has it been 6 months already? I remember reading with great interest your story about the D.

So happy for you! Enjoy!!! smile

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Holy moly, those movers deserve an A+++ !!

Narrow hallway, didn't look like they had to make any turns thank God. The steps to the basement don't look like a piece of cake either. Hope you don't plan on moving anytime soon. smile

Congrats, I remember your thread and giving my 2 cents, I'm happy it worked out for you. It looks like a beauty. thumb

My move was easy compared to that. Up a fairly steep driveway , over a patio into my studio with one small step, two guys managed to do it.

There was another fellow here on PW that was up in SF a few years back that posted a video on youtube of his Fazioli 228 being scrunched into an elevator--these movers are pretty resourceful guys.

Enjoy.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BB Player
....I have to say when I was looking at the photo sequence I thought they were moving the piano up the stairs.....

+1 ha

AJB Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Superb installation. Congratulations. Adrian

C212. Teaching. Accompaniment.
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Way to go Carol! This D could not have found a finer home and caretaker.

You are now in a unique position to report on the differences among your Steinway, Bluthner, and Estonia. How do you decide which one to play? Do they get jealous if you don't allocate your playing time fairly? Do they have preferences for particular composers? Details, please!

Fazioli 228.
M
M
THAT'S SO COOL! CONGRATS! thumb

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Thank you for letting us follow your interesting journey. It has come to a fabulous end. The piano with a "history" has found a perfect home. Congratulations!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Congrats Carol... glad everything finally worked out... looks great at home

Les

Les Koltvedt
Servicing the Greater Atlanta area
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Beautiful piano. We would love to hear some sound files. The D is an amazing instrument. I have an 1891 D that was rebuilt 2 years ago and I know how you feel. Congratulations.

Do or do not. There is no try.
Y
Y
What a beauty! Wishing you lots of happiness as you play your beautiful music with your new pride and joy! What a gorgeous piano! Congrats! smile

OP Offline
Thanks everyone for all the compliments on the piano! It’s very gratifying - away from the Piano Forum, most people aren't all that interested in hearing about my new piano! ("A piano? I thought you already had a piano. You could have put a pool table down there!")

I can’t imagine making a decision to buy a piano like this if I hadn’t had the Piano Forum to learn from and to pose questions to. Thanks to all of you who offered thoughts and feedback while I was making up my mind about this piano. And most especially, thanks to Les Koltvedt for putting me in touch with Patrick DeBeliso, the restorer who did such a beautiful job on the piano.

The piano really does sound and feel wonderful. And the acoustics seem to be very good down there; there are enough sound-absorbing surfaces for a piano of that size not to be overwhelming, even with the lid up.

Thanks also for the compliments on the basement. In my previous threads I’d avoided mentioning where we were making space for the new piano, because I was afraid there would be objections to putting a D in a basement! Especially since our basement looked like this just a few months ago:

[Linked Image]

(In case anyone noticed the stairs in the earlier photos – we’ve held off finishing them until the piano was moved down.)

Our builder put moisture barriers and plenty of insulation in the floors and walls, and he made sure no heating vents would be aimed at the piano. (He also hacked off part of the ceiling above the stairs; otherwise the piano would likely have gotten stuck going down!) I'm hoping the humidity and temperature will be relatively stable. And I’m going to install a Dampp-Chaser soon.

You’re right, the movers did a great job. They said they’d moved CD-888 many times before, in fact. (And I said this would be the last time, because we’re never leaving this house!)

As for comparing our various pianos, right now the only one I want to play is the D! Maybe the novelty will wear off and I’ll go back to playing them all; if not, we may decide we don’t need quite so many pianos. After all, I don’t have to compete for time on the D from my husband - his favorite instrument of all is our Roland digital harpsichord!

Carol

Steinway D, No. 528716 (formerly CD-888)
Blüthner 4, No. 150915
Estonia L190, No. 6552

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Especially since our basement looked like this just a few months ago:

I love the way you incorporated the steel support columns into the cabinetry and then surrounded them with the fluted woodwork. It kept the space open. Very nice planning!

BTW, typically the basement humidity will run a bit higher and most likely more stable.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission