2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (benkeys, 1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 10 invisible), 1,847 guests, and 273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 91 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 90 91
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Noise from a CELLO????? Isn't that sort of an oxymoron?? I'd be delighted if a cello player moved into my building!
Is there any chance of the screaming children family moving out in the near future?? Doesn't sound like you could get anyone worse below you.

I'm on the 3rd & top floor of the building. A family with some (more than 1) children just bought the ground floor suite. But they don't scream (so far). The fellow next to them has his buddies over to play poker on the patio in the summer, but they've never been rowdy enough to bother me, though I usually know when they're there. The woman below me plays piano, has played for years, which is fine, but sometimes she sings, too. Her singing is somewhat less fine, but I barely hear it except in the summer when everyone's doors & windows are open. Really, my only noise complaint is leaf blowers & other assorted noisy, polluting gadgets used by the companies that maintain the (tiny!) garden areas of the buildings on my street. At times, they make it impossible to practice. Car alarms are another irritation. Oh, & people walking back to their cars when the restaurant/pub at the corner closes - from the conversations I hear, I'm sure they have no idea how much sound is amplified late at night. Sometimes I hear way too much information.

Carol
(Started playing July 2008)

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Much better the screams of children playing than the screams of someone being abused. When we lived more toward the inner city, we would often hear the woman across the street screaming things such as, "Oh God... you're going to kill me! HELP!! Oh Help." And horrible, horrible language from the guy yelling at the woman and her child. We called the police several times, but when they showed up, the woman would come to the door and say nothing was wrong. frown I was so relieved to move away from there. And now the sound of people just living their normal lives, no matter how noisy, doesn't bother me much at all.

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I agree, MaryBee, children playing is a wonderful sound. & one thing I forgot to mention in my immediate surroundings is the Philippine 7th Day Adventist Church a couple of doors down - on Saturdays, after worship, people hand around & socialize for pretty much the rest of the afternoon. I think they have a potluck lunch inside the hall, but unless it's pouring rain, it always overflows out the front door. Kids race up & down the sidewalk & small strips of lawn laughing & shrieking, while their parents stand in groups laughing & chatting. I love the "noise" they make.

That must've been awful, listening to peoples' fights - I hear the occasional argument in the street, but nothing that sounds like it's going to escalate.

In Vancouver, the inner city is prime real estate (& it gets more expensive every time the price of gas goes up!) The shortage of affordable housing here is atrocious - lots of street people. I'm lucky I bought where I did - close enough to downtown, but not surrounded by glass towers - when I did. It's an old building, but it's been maintained & it means I have enough space for my upright piano (never a grand though frown )

Carol
(Started playing July 2008)

[Linked Image]
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by joyoussong
I agree, MaryBee, children playing is a wonderful sound.

Well, it depends...
If it lasts a reasonable amount of time, and it consists in a resonable kind of "noise", and I am doing nothing of important, yes it could be an acceptable sound.

If it lasts for *hours*, consisting in jumping and running inside the apartment shaking the wall of the upper and lower floor, with additionally shouting and crying while I am trying to study for job interviews this could be really irritating.

I like children, but usally I like the children if I like the parents of these children.

Anyway I agree that earing people fighting and especially women frightned to death by their husbands is one of the worst "sound" one could experience.

A.

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Here are a few pics of my piano room at home:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And of my biggest fan:

[Linked Image]

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
morodienne.. that is gorgeous! (is it a petrof?)

smile

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
M
M
Originally Posted by apple*

smile

Thanks! Yes, it was imported I think in the 80s and the person who had ordered from the dealer could not get it to fit it in his house, so the dealer was stuck with it for many years. I got a great deal on it!

Now, I just need a concert hall big enough to do it justice. Maybe with our next house we'll be out in the country and can convert a barn into a recital hall. laugh

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Morodiene

smile

Thanks! Yes, it was imported I think in the 80s and the person who had ordered from the dealer could not get it to fit it in his house, so the dealer was stuck with it for many years. I got a great deal on it!

Now, I just need a concert hall big enough to do it justice. Maybe with our next house we'll be out in the country and can convert a barn into a recital hall. laugh

thumb

That sure beats the heck out of my previous teacher's little upright!

M
M
Originally Posted by Strings & Wood
Originally Posted by Morodiene

smile

thumb

That sure beats the heck out of my previous teacher's little upright!

I used to teach on it when I taught from the home, and people really enjoyed it. I do have a nice Yamaha grand, but it's not quite as big smile

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
morodienne.. i keep coming back to look at your pictures.. they really resonate. your rooms are so interesting and warm.

(i was kidding when i asked if it was a PETROF.. the name so prominently displayed in picture 2.) It is absolutely stunning.

What is that golden bust i see peeking from the corner?

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Does the Petrof sign have to be readable from the 10th roll of seats??

Great room and beautiful animal. Bit of a side note, I always wondered, does a greater percentage of piano players fancy cats more or dogs, anyone have a guess? I'm leaning with cats.

M
M
morodienne.. i keep coming back to look at your pictures.. they really resonate. your rooms are so interesting and warm.

(i was kidding when i asked if it was a PETROF.. the name so prominently displayed in picture 2.) It is absolutely stunning.

What is that golden bust i see peeking from the corner?

LOL about the Petrof! My niece who is 17 months old knows her letters and she loves to point to them and say them out loud! Not in order, of course, but it's so cute.

The bust is Nefertiti I think. I was going for a Bohemian look when I chose the colors and the decor, I suppose that befits a Czech piano best. smile

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
M
Originally Posted by Rui725
Does the Petrof sign have to be readable from the 10th roll of seats??

Great room and beautiful animal. Bit of a side note, I always wondered, does a greater percentage of piano players fancy cats more or dogs, anyone have a guess? I'm leaning with cats.

I guess they wanted to make sure everyone knew what kind of piano it was, no questions asked LOL!

I think I saw more dogs on this thread than cats, but cats can sometimes be elusive creatures when it comes to the camera.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I haven't posted on the forum for a while, but I'd thought I would contribute a picture of my "piano room". This my Charles Walter CW190 when it was first delivered. I've since had it moved into our media room. I'll try to take a picture of it now and post it.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Jon

"In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Albert Einstein
Charles Walter W190 Ebony
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Nice pianos! And piano rooms. And pets smile

Every time I'm gone for awhile this thread has tripled in size, so it takes me awhile to catch up. But it's a fun read.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
P
P
Sorry I couldn't get the whole room in, but here's a shot of me playing Rachmaninov's Concerto #3. Some say I look young for my age, but I just put it down to good food and good living!
[Linked Image]

No that wasn't a bum note! It was my ... "artistic interpretation" emerging.
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
PeteF - I'm in love smile What a cutie.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by PeteF
Sorry I couldn't get the whole room in, but here's a shot of me playing Rachmaninov's Concerto #3. Some say I look young for my age, but I just put it down to good food and good living!
[Linked Image]

The technique shown in these octaves is superb! grin

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
P
P
Yeah well the pink I'm wearing is a give away, and luckily I take after my mum and not my dad; he's a real ugly bugger!

Ben, thanks I've been working on them a good proportion of my life now. I'll say one thing, they're progressing a lot better than my half-pedal ... or any pedal for that matter now I come to think of it!

No that wasn't a bum note! It was my ... "artistic interpretation" emerging.
A
A
Hi Folks,
here's my dp room:

[Linked Image]

- no pet, but there is a model railway :o)

Cheerio,
Andy T

Page 14 of 91 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 90 91

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission