Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1542994 - 10/25/10 10:04 AM Best monitors/speakers for V-piano?
Nla91 Offline

Hi,

I'm about to buy a pair of speakers to a Roland V-piano but the question is what pair of speakers are best for my budget at $1000?
I've tried a Roland V-piano in a shop with Roland DS-8 monitors and thought they sounded good.
I've read about the KRK VXT 6 monitors and they seem to be good monitors for the price. Are they better than the Roland DS-8 speakers or do you recommend another pair of monitors which are better sounding for the V-piano and within my budget?

Hope you can help.

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Special Financing on Digital Keyboards

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#1543000 - 10/25/10 10:22 AM Re: Best monitors/speakers for V-piano? [Re: Nla91]
Rimmer Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Krk's are decent for the money. Seriously look at Adam monitors as you'd find them as nearfield's or mains in many studios (they use Ribbons as tweeters so very fast). Event, Dynaudio are both excellent. Roland, not for me if I had a grand to spend. Head for Adam first, then Dynaudio/Event then Krk's. Others to consider but that should keep you going.

Sorry I haven't checked prices but on iPhone in Qatar!!!

Regards. Rimmer

Edited by Rimmer (10/25/10 10:25 AM)

#1543011 - 10/25/10 10:37 AM Re: Best monitors/speakers for V-piano? [Re: Rimmer]
Nla91 Offline

I've found the Adam A7. A pair would cost a approx $1000. Are they the way to go..?

#1543017 - 10/25/10 10:46 AM Re: Best monitors/speakers for V-piano? [Re: Nla91]
Greg Curtis Offline

Loc: Virginia USA
I have a pair of Mackie MR5 monitors that sound great with my DP. 30w continuous 55w peak about $300 a pair.
May You Be In Heaven A Half Hour Before The Devil Knows You're Dead...

#1543027 - 10/25/10 10:59 AM Re: Best monitors/speakers for V-piano? [Re: Nla91]
elecmuse3 Offline

Loc: Cincinnati
Have you thought about smaller mains (like the 5 inch Adams), and adding a subwoofer? You'll get more thump.

#1543137 - 10/25/10 01:35 PM Re: Best monitors/speakers for V-piano? [Re: elecmuse3]
Hideki Matsui Offline
500 Post Club Member

I used to have Dynaudio BM5As. They are great speakers but for the bass output of piano sounds, you are going to want to add a sub or step up to their bigger models.

I now use the new Mackie HR824MKIIs. I really love them. They measure about as flat as I have seen any speaker measure and have great bass response. I EQ them with a little bump in bass. I picked mine up for $1050 shipped.

FYI. I also use Eggleston speakers which ring in at about $18K a pair and have owned a myriad of high end home audio speakers. Those tweeters made by Dynaudio are awesome and perfect for the high end on pianos.

Edited by Hideki Matsui (10/25/10 01:38 PM)
Roland Jupiter 80

#1543572 - 10/25/10 11:33 PM Re: Best monitors/speakers for V-piano? [Re: Nla91]
Rimmer Offline

Originally Posted By: Nla91
I've found the Adam A7. A pair would cost a approx $1000. Are they the way to go..?

The A7's are lovely speakers. One of my personal favourites.

As always you have to listen to this stuff as what people hear is subjective. Do you have a decent stockist of monitors near you? Seriously check all those brands out and put the Rolands aside as they are not in the same league.

#1543770 - 10/26/10 08:38 AM Re: Best monitors/speakers for V-piano? [Re: Rimmer]
Nla91 Offline

Thanks for all the replies, they were really helpful!

The A7's seem to be the perfect match for me:-)

#1543881 - 10/26/10 10:56 AM Re: Best monitors/speakers for V-piano? [Re: Nla91]
Rimmer Offline

Thanks for all the replies, they were really helpful!

The A7's seem to be the perfect match for me:-)

Again. Do check them out. Adam have been peaking over the last years IMO.. I haven't heard anything they make I don't like, a lot. They are however trying hard to be flat in their performance so honesty is their game.

I just sold my Markbass 121P bass amp. To me, that was honesty in a box. Some people apparently don't like them much for that reason. They want some colour to their sound. If I have a great sounding instrument, then I'm all over honesty myself!!

Best of luck. Rimmer

#1544017 - 10/26/10 02:06 PM Re: Best monitors/speakers for V-piano? [Re: Nla91]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
Hi,
I'm about to buy a pair of speakers to a Roland V-piano but the question is what pair of speakers are best for my budget at $1000?

I think the first thing you have to think about is your goal.

Who is listening, where are they relative to the piano and what size is the room? And lastly what kind of "sound" are you going for? You can't buy speakers without knowing all of the above. Without the above information the advice you will get will all be of the form "I have X, they work for me".

If this is the simplest case of you needing to hear what you play in a typical living room. Then you have to decide if you want monitor style near feild speakers or larger ones that "fill the room". Moniors are acturate almost to the point of being harsh and the sound will resemble what you hear in headphones. Physically larger speaers of the type designed for stereo music listening will sound more like a real piano.

It is good to understand how a real acoustic piano sounds in a room. A real acoustic piano sends the sound in all directions 360 degrees. More then 99% of the acoustic piano's sound goes some direction other than to the listener. (yes almost ALL of it) But the sound hits a wall, ceiling or floor and then comes back to you and this is what you and everyone else in the room hears.

Monitor speakers are more directional and you aim them directly at your ears. Bigger stereo speakers are typically set up to fill the room so that most of the sound you hear is reflected from the room. SO you have to choose which you want, a very acuate "digital" sound or a simulation of an acoustic piano that is "colored" by it's acoustic surroundings.

There are many "shades of gray" too. At one extreme are headphones. The sound goes straight to the ears. At the other end of the spectrum is the Yamaha Avent Grand N3. It's speakers are vertically mounted and don't face the listeners at all, the sound first goes into the case and then is re-radiated into the room like it would be in an acoustic instrument. With $1K to spend you can afford any point along this spectrum you like.

I have both kinds of speakers. I use the monitors for "post production" type tasks like editing and the larger 40" tall speakers for live play.

The neat thing is that the cost is about the same

If these are to be used for a public performance then you have many other considerations. Thinks like "will they fit in my car" come into play. But heck if you can fit a v-piano in it's road case you must already own a delivery van.

#1544071 - 10/26/10 03:40 PM Re: Best monitors/speakers for V-piano? [Re: ChrisA]
Nla91 Offline

Originally Posted By: ChrisA
Hi,

I think the first thing you have to think about is your goal.

Who is listening, where are they relative to the piano and what size is the room? And lastly what kind of "sound" are you going for? You can't buy speakers without knowing all of the above. Without the above information the advice you will get will all be of the form "I have X, they work for me".

If this is the simplest case of you needing to hear what you play in a typical living room. Then you have to decide if you want monitor style near feild speakers or larger ones that "fill the room". Moniors are acturate almost to the point of being harsh and the sound will resemble what you hear in headphones. Physically larger speaers of the type designed for stereo music listening will sound more like a real piano.

It is good to understand how a real acoustic piano sounds in a room. A real acoustic piano sends the sound in all directions 360 degrees. More then 99% of the acoustic piano's sound goes some direction other than to the listener. (yes almost ALL of it) But the sound hits a wall, ceiling or floor and then comes back to you and this is what you and everyone else in the room hears.

Monitor speakers are more directional and you aim them directly at your ears. Bigger stereo speakers are typically set up to fill the room so that most of the sound you hear is reflected from the room. SO you have to choose which you want, a very acuate "digital" sound or a simulation of an acoustic piano that is "colored" by it's acoustic surroundings.

There are many "shades of gray" too. At one extreme are headphones. The sound goes straight to the ears. At the other end of the spectrum is the Yamaha Avent Grand N3. It's speakers are vertically mounted and don't face the listeners at all, the sound first goes into the case and then is re-radiated into the room like it would be in an acoustic instrument. With $1K to spend you can afford any point along this spectrum you like.

I have both kinds of speakers. I use the monitors for "post production" type tasks like editing and the larger 40" tall speakers for live play.

The neat thing is that the cost is about the same

If these are to be used for a public performance then you have many other considerations. Thinks like "will they fit in my car" come into play. But heck if you can fit a v-piano in it's road case you must already own a delivery van.

Well the monitors will be used only at home in a normal sized room. I'm no expert in technology and how things creates the best sound, all I know is that I've fallen in love with the V-piano. A grand was my first choice but the size and handling isn't something I can deal with right now - so V-piano is the perfect match for me. I want the best reproduction of a grand, so what would you suggest? Is the Adam A7 fine for that? (Of course I will check them out before I purchase:-))

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
85 registered (AndrewJCW, ando, Alux, andwi, AndyG123, 24 invisible), 1354 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75509 Members
42 Forums
156147 Topics
2293099 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Mendelssohn on meaning in music
by phantomFive
Today at 04:08 AM
Youtube! :)
by PianoPlayer98
Today at 02:46 AM
Youtube! :)
by PianoPlayer98
Today at 01:47 AM
Headphones Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear
by khopin
Today at 12:54 AM
How struts define pitch variation between tunings
by Bosendorff
Yesterday at 11:40 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission