Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1544324 - 10/26/10 11:36 PM A (real) pianist running for office
Andromaque Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York

I read about Andrew Russo today, a pianist, trained at Juilliard and in Leipzig, who is running for office in Upstate New York.
Apparently he participated in the Cliburn competition in 2001 where he played a piece by Crumb on prepared piano. He has premiered some Crumb pieces since. I don't know much about his politics or his music making but it is an interesting tidbit of news.. in the footsteps of Padareski.. smile

Here are excerpts from the article:

New York Times 10/25/2010
Robert Stolarik

As political fund-raisers go, this one was short on speeches but long on piano-playing. First, one of the guests, former Senator Alfonse M. D’Amato, tried an amateurish but passable rendition of Debussy’s “Claire (sic!!!!!!!!) de Lune” on a spinet.

Andrew C. Russo performed at a fund-raising event this month for his bid for a State Senate seat in the Syracuse area. Mr. Russo, a Republican, is running against David J. Valesky, a Democrat.
Then the crowd moved next door, where a grand piano awaited the candidate himself. After hurling himself at two concert pieces, and cruising smoothly through some tough passages, he made an unusual campaign promise.

“I can do that,” he said, sweeping one hand toward the piano, “and I can also lower your property taxes.”

The candidate, Andrew C. Russo, a Republican challenging a Democratic incumbent from the Syracuse area, is not your conventional contender for the State Senate. He is a Juilliard-trained concert pianist and Grammy Award nominee who turned to politics in central New York, where he grew up and still lives.
(deleted political blah blah here)

As it happens, Mr. Valesky also plays the piano — and the organ, though not, he said, at Mr. Russo’s level. (..)
But now Mr. Russo is doing some things he did as a concert artist, like traveling almost constantly, and some things he did not, like raising money to pay for television commercials and other campaign expenses. That explained why he was in Forest Hills, Queens, 260 miles from the district he is running to represent, for the fund-raiser.
The evening began at Christopher D’Amato’s house and moved next door, to the home of another pianist, Hyperion Knight. Mr. Knight performed the Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2 by Liszt—“When Andy takes office in January, it will be his 200th anniversary.” (His 200th anniversary year, anyway. Liszt’s actual birth date was Oct. 22, 1811.)
“I don’t think I’ve ever been to anything like this,” said Gregory V. Serio, a former state superintendent of insurance who works for the consulting and lobbying firm that former Senator D’Amato started in 1999. “I mean, I’ve been to lots of these things. You don’t see the candidate working for his money.”

I looked him up on You Tube and did not find much (I did not spend more than 10 minutes though). Here is playing a rag.. There is another excerpt from Messiaen's Oiseaux with a gosh awful sounding orchestra..

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1544419 - 10/27/10 03:24 AM Re: A (real) pianist running for office [Re: Andromaque]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Manchester, UK
He looks like a bit of an arse. I mean, a politician. :P
Esa-Pekka Salonen - Dichotomie
Kevin Oldham - Ballade, Op. 17

#1544426 - 10/27/10 03:51 AM Re: A (real) pianist running for office [Re: Andromaque]
GeorgeB Offline
500 Post Club Member

well good luck for him, thats not the only place that a pianist has become a politician, here in portugal the current minister of culture is a nationally famous pianist

#1544430 - 10/27/10 03:56 AM Re: A (real) pianist running for office [Re: Andromaque]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Manchester, UK
Paderewski was the prime minister of Poland laugh. Ted Heath, ex prime minister of UK was a conductor while still in office. He had a Steinway grand installed in downing street.
Esa-Pekka Salonen - Dichotomie
Kevin Oldham - Ballade, Op. 17

#1544438 - 10/27/10 04:09 AM Re: A (real) pianist running for office [Re: Andromaque]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
He's a Republican so he can't be that good. By the way, I have no idea who Padareski is.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#1544444 - 10/27/10 04:25 AM Re: A (real) pianist running for office [Re: Andromaque]
Tweedpipe Offline

Are my ears playing up again, or is that piano badly out of tune?
The Unicorns

------------------------------

#1544502 - 10/27/10 07:02 AM Re: A (real) pianist running for office [Re: Andromaque]
Varcon Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Mount Vernon, Georgia 30445
Paderewski was the most famous pianist of his generation and one of the most influential Polish pianists and composers. Like most personalities in the public eye he had avid admirers and dogged detractors. Politically he was most important before, during, and after WW I when he became the premier of Poland and also warned the world of Hitler and the German threat before WWII.

I'm sure being a Republican has little to do with his pianism (Russo's) but it appears that the democrat twit could use some training.

#1544510 - 10/27/10 07:25 AM Re: A (real) pianist running for office [Re: Andromaque]
Zindaras Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Apparently, our new prime minister also plays the piano (though not competitively or at this level). This has not stopped him from making major cuts on culture and music.

Edited by Zindaras (10/27/10 07:25 AM)

#1544515 - 10/27/10 07:33 AM Re: A (real) pianist running for office [Re: Andromaque]
Oz Marcus Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Condoleeza Rice was a pianist of note also. Regardless of her dog awful politics
Chopin Prelude Op28 No 15, nocturne Op48 no 1
Bach Prelude & Fuge WTC II No 12 in F minor
Aspiring to Rautavaara - Piano Sonata 2 - Fire Sermon

#1544517 - 10/27/10 07:35 AM Re: A (real) pianist running for office [Re: stores]
Andromaque Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: stores
He's a Republican so he can't be that good. By the way, I have no idea who Padareski is.

NITPICKER!!!!!!!!!!!

#1544537 - 10/27/10 08:14 AM Re: A (real) pianist running for office [Re: Andromaque]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
Russo is fairly well-known among those who like a lot of modern music. He was also nominated a Grammy for his Corigliano. (I have it, and it's very good.) We had him here a couple years ago for our state MTA convention. He seemed like a good guy and his recital was very well received.
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#1544587 - 10/27/10 09:24 AM Re: A (real) pianist running for office [Re: Andromaque]
Hank Drake Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
"Ah, Paderewski. Once you were the great pianist, now prime minister of Poland. What a comedown."

Both Harry Truman and Richard Nixon were pianists. Thomas Jefferson played the voilin. Musical talent and political leanings have nothing in common.

The composers want performers be imaginative, in the direction of their thinking--not just robots, who execute orders.
George Szell

#1544797 - 10/27/10 02:13 PM Re: A (real) pianist running for office [Re: Andromaque]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
Helmut Schmidt, Chancellor of West Germany from 1974 to 1982 (thank-you Wiki for the quick reference), also played the piano. He was good enough to record the Mozart 3 Piano Concerto (the easy piano part) for DG.

I haven't heard it, just read about it. Anyone here have it?

#1544876 - 10/27/10 04:45 PM Re: A (real) pianist running for office [Re: stores]
Skorpius Offline
500 Post Club Member

+1

Deux Arabesques, Debussy

On Queue-

Danse Russe from Petroushka, Stravinsky
Toccata, Ravel

#1544877 - 10/27/10 04:46 PM Re: A (real) pianist running for office [Re: stores]
Skorpius Offline
500 Post Club Member

+1

Deux Arabesques, Debussy

On Queue-

Danse Russe from Petroushka, Stravinsky
Toccata, Ravel

#1544891 - 10/27/10 05:09 PM Re: A (real) pianist running for office [Re: Andromaque]
Andromaque Offline
3000 Post Club Member

He actually wavered on his political affiliation. I think he was a registered Democrat for a while then independent then opportunistic, I mean, republican..

But that is besides the point. . I wanted to know if anyone here was familiar with his music..
And the stores guy was picking on my mispelling of Ignacy's name.. But didn't he say he teaches piano? Nitpicking is in their genes laugh

#1544896 - 10/27/10 05:19 PM Re: A (real) pianist running for office [Re: Andromaque]
Uncle George Offline

Loc: FL, USA
I have the documentary of that Cliburn competition. Mr. Russo was shown eating his special concert/competition food (don't remember well but I think a banana and some sort of candy bar were involved). He was also shwown lying flat on his back on a kitchen floor (his host's ?) for I do not remember what purpose. Finally, he was bent to reach inside the piano to manipulate the strings of his prepared instrument. The whole affair did not seem serious to me and I got the impression that even before walking on the stage he knew he did not have a chance.

I have never heard him play though. He must have been good enough to be selected as a completitor at the Cliburn

Uncle George

#1544904 - 10/27/10 05:27 PM Re: A (real) pianist running for office [Re: Andromaque]
Damon Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
Originally Posted By: Andromaque
He actually wavered on his political affiliation. I think he was a registered Democrat for a while then independent then opportunistic, I mean, republican..

So what your saying is he left the party of hateful race-baiters, I mean Commu...er Democrat? grin

#1544952 - 10/27/10 06:56 PM Re: A (real) pianist running for office [Re: Andromaque]
mr_roberts_z Offline

Loc: Canada
Anton Kuerti isn't a "real" pianist?

True.

#1544996 - 10/27/10 08:29 PM Re: A (real) pianist running for office [Re: mr_roberts_z]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
Originally Posted By: mr_roberts_z

True.

Huh?

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#1545012 - 10/27/10 09:17 PM Re: A (real) pianist running for office [Re: Andromaque]
sarah_elizabeth Offline

Loc: Texas, U.S.
Wow, that's neat. If I were up there I'd surely be going to hear him and check him out.

#1545135 - 10/28/10 01:35 AM Re: A (real) pianist running for office [Re: stores]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.

True.

Huh?

I don't get this at all, what am I missing? shocked

#1545161 - 10/28/10 02:45 AM Re: A (real) pianist running for office [Re: mr_roberts_z]
Victor25 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands

True.

I vote for weirdest comment of the month!

#1545276 - 10/28/10 08:04 AM Re: A (real) pianist running for office [Re: argerichfan]
Thracozaag Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Salt Lake City
Originally Posted By: argerichfan
Helmut Schmidt, Chancellor of West Germany from 1974 to 1982 (thank-you Wiki for the quick reference), also played the piano. He was good enough to record the Mozart 3 Piano Concerto (the easy piano part) for DG.

I haven't heard it, just read about it. Anyone here have it?

Yes, it's quite good, actually!

http://www.youtube.com/kojiattwood
https://www.giftedmusicschool.org/

#1545502 - 10/28/10 03:23 PM Re: A (real) pianist running for office [Re: Andromaque]
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC

NITPICKER!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, that's my job!

smile

#1545510 - 10/28/10 03:54 PM Re: A (real) pianist running for office [Re: BruceD]
Andromaque Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: BruceD

NITPICKER!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, that's my job!

smile

Yes but you are the doyen of the place. smile

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
98 registered (3rd Ear, antony, ado, AndreiN, Adam Coleman, 29 invisible), 1222 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74223 Members
42 Forums
153538 Topics
2250068 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
2014 Bradshaw and Buono Piano Competition
by hsheck
Today at 01:21 AM
What is the strangest thing you have found inside a piano?
by That Tooner
Yesterday at 11:18 PM
Kawai vs Ritmuller
by cromax
Yesterday at 11:08 PM
Considering going into debt for a Steinway grand
by joonsang
Yesterday at 10:38 PM
Best Glue for Damper Pads
by JMichaelWilson
Yesterday at 10:07 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission