2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (Adam Reynolds, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 8 invisible), 1,593 guests, and 250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 25 of 106 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 105 106
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Monster, funny! ha I was thinking the same thing of certain items that I was pulling out. Hmmmm, they look smaller now..... Shhhhh! Don't tell anyone!

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Is this right? "No Dear, your butt makes those pants look bigger..." smirk

Les Koltvedt
Servicing the Greater Atlanta area
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Go ahead, tell your spouse that one, I dare ya! Not me! I tell her the opposite. I know what's good for me. grin

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
School concert season is upon us. Today was a Kawai RX-2 (a piano I've tuned a few times before) in a church that is being used for recitals tomorrow night, and 2 middle school uprights for concerts; a Yamaha U3 and an old Kohler and Campbell. (from the 1950s I believe. A bit out of shape for a choir piano, but oh well.) About to mow the lawn.

Last edited by Pure Tone Pianos; 05/10/10 02:35 PM.

Pure Tone Pianos - Tolland, CT
http://www.puretonepianos.com
860-515-TONE
860-515-8663
B
B
Today I had an electric installation in my soon to be opened workshop done, so I have to do something with the floor, and bring machines, tools, materials and pianos in by the end of May.

Bojan Babic
piano technician and tuner
Sid, Vojvodina, Serbia
B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
I took her to dinner on Saturday, made her breakfast Sunday, and did some laundry too! However, I don't do laundry to her satisfaction. You know, fill the washer up first....use the appropriate soap, bleach, softener, ect - heck, I just separate the colors, pile it in, add soap, turn it on, and it seems to work.....

B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Today, I just did my normal 4 appointments, Kawai grand, Steinway vertical (no problems, I know what to do), Baldwin grand and finally another Kawai grand. What can I say, I have great customers.

But what I really wanted to say was what I did on Friday that I did not have time to post, I got my new car! I like it, it was the color I wanted and had all the features I wanted. The really amazing things are that I can make and receive cell phone calls without ever letting go of the steering wheel.

Once I get in my new car, the cell phone automatically goes to "blue tooth technology" [whatever that is] that means that I can leave my cellphone in my pocket but take and make calls from my steering wheel!

I can be listening to local radio or Sirius satellite radio but the instant I either want to make or receive a call, the music is canceled. I also have a navigator that tells me where to go and just for fun, I can have it tell me that in Canadian French as I am listening to a Canadian French radio station on my radio. Believe me, this is very important to me!

The car has a moon roof (which is useful on the UW campus for MOONing!) or sun roof, as you may prefer, a 4 speed automatic transmission and turbo charged 4 cylinder engine which gets up to 35 miles per gallon or better. It is silver in color which is nice in any case but also shows the least soil when it is dirty.

It has fog lights, special radial tires for best traction in slippery conditions but also slip control for when that does occur.

Here are a couple of images of it:

http://photos.autoexpress.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_440/car_photo_220355_5.jpg

http://photos2.liquidmotors.com/kd1818/kl9954691/po1/v2/ds184/pic.aspx?1FAHP3GN0AW173863_1_of_15.jpg

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison WI USA
www.billbremmer.com
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Congrat's Bill! Sounds like a very nice car. Looks pretty sharp too! Heck of a way to get a new car though!

I have to say this... I have a navigator that tells me where to go too.... It's called a wife. Especially when I do laundry like Bob does it. Boy, it's a darn good thing she doesn't read these posts!

I gotta say this too Bill! I just can't resist it. After having to guide you into Grand Rapids last summer, you most certainly do need one of these navigator's gizmo's for sure! Sorry, I couldn't help it, I'm setting here giggling as I type this... I think it's time for bed.

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
R
RPD Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Had six appointments today...tuned 4, did a service call and sold a partial Dampp Chaser for a Baldwin Acro, and did another call to repair THE biggest crack in an upright block (another Baldwin, console this time) I've ever repaired...it measured 1/2 inch wide in places!!...five stainless bolts later, and about an hour, and it was almost closed up...I'll go back in a week to pull it the rest of the way...

Got home at 8:30pm, threw some food into the pie-hole, and worked another hour in my shop picking shattered plastic elbows off a spinet action with sharp tools.

Then, came into the house and PM's J-Groot about our similar needs to fly the coop and head up north!...and now I'm about to go light a campfire in my fire circle. Its been raining today, but that's no prob. I have a magic way of getting a really big, tall fire. Not sayin' its smart, just sayin' it works.

RPD

MPT(Master Piano Technicians of America)
Member AMICA (Automated Musical Instruments Collector's Association)
(Subscriber PTG Journal)
Piano-Tuner-Rebuilder/Musician
www.actionpianoservice.com
DEALER Hailun Pianos
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Nice car, Bill. Looks very techno! GPS is great, I have to say. Even though I've lived in this area my whole life, using the GPS makes me not have to think about where I'm going.

I'll be shopping for a new car fairly soon, too--my Saab's edging up to 200k miles! I'll probably wait for hybrid minivans to make it to our shores.

Today I drove up to the top of Montevina Road, a 2000 foot climb I've only ever ridden up on bicycle. Boy, is that sucker narrow and windy in a car! Tuned a mini Kohler and Campbell (Korean version), then drove back down the hill.

Tuned a Schafer by YC that I replaced the brackets on awhile back.

Yesterday I worked on an Old Chang U-3 that has broken several bass strings, including one yesterday--and not during the 20c pitch raise, during the fine tuning. The straw that broke the camel's back.

Promote Harmony in the Universe...Tune your piano!

Dave Stahl, RPT
Piano Technician's Guild
San Jose, CA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAniw3m7L2I
http://dstahlpiano.net
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Worked on “tuning” a hand plane, seems to have stability problems…. So while getting the blade razor sharp, I gave myself a paper cut. Go figure.

Have a rescheduled no-show at a church. I had even made a courtesy phone reminder the night before. Go figure. Well I mess up sometimes, too.

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
Who taught the first chicken how to peck?
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
What happened to Sam anyway?

I tuned 3 homes yesterday. A Wurlitzer console, a Story & Clark grand and another Wurlly. Today, I have a Hundai grand (POS) in a church, a piano in a home that I've not tuned before and a nice Everett grand in another church that my family has tuned (not this piano, the church) since 1946. Dat's it. My 3 a day.

Had my gal come over last night again to make calls for me. She scheduled 24 appointments on Tuesday and Thursday of this week. Thanks to her and me too for returning the calls that come in and emailing back to people including my action jobs, I am now booked through August. grin

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Jerry Groot RPT
What happened to Sam anyway?

grin

I was wondering the same thing...

Yesterday, I pitch raised, tuned, and regulated the capstans on a k-25 that had previously been "cared for" by El Cheapo Tooner. What a mess. Fortunately, these pianos can recover from neglect.

Tuned a Kawai RX 6 I hadn't seen for 3 years. 10 c flat across the board.

Tuned a Steinway L in a brand new high school performing arts center. Beautiful place, piano needs help.

Tuned another piano previously serviced by El Cheapo, a Kawai k-3, which hasn't been around long enough to be in the same state of neglect as the k-25 was. Pedal noises, lost motion, case buzz.

Repinned a jack on a Sohmer upright for a local jazz bassist. I told him no charge as long as he comes over to jam with me!

Promote Harmony in the Universe...Tune your piano!

Dave Stahl, RPT
Piano Technician's Guild
San Jose, CA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAniw3m7L2I
http://dstahlpiano.net
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Hello.

Today, out of curiosity, I had a look at the views rate of PW threads and wow... to my surprise I noticed that one thread is making some 100 or more views per hour.

So I asked myself: is there any control in PW onto the threads views-rate?

Would it be possible to increase that rate artificially?

Would it be fear or honest then making a point of it?

Regards to all, Alfredo Capurso.

Last edited by alfredo capurso; 05/14/10 01:21 PM.

alfredo
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Why do you ask? Are there some Topics that you want to artificially increase the rate of???

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Hi Jeff, You made me almost smile, but you can do better.

I'm just wondering about that phenomenon.

alfredo
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Which phenomenon? The one of smiling? (Maybe that made you show your teeth.)

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
wow

Today, out of curiosity, I had a look at the views rate of PW threads and wow... to my surprise I noticed that one thread is making some 100 or more views per hour.

So I asked myself: is there any control in PW onto the threads views-rate?

Would it be possible to increase that rate artificially?

Would it be fear or honest then making a point of it?

Regards to all, Alfredo Capurso.

alfredo
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I have no idea about the artificial thing. I highly doubt that it would be taking place but, considering the amount of people that are members and the amount of people that are merely lurkers, those that come in and out of probably the same topics perhaps several times throughout the day, including the members, I can see that occurring Alfredo. Some people have no life! Guess we're a member of that group! :-)

Today: Drove 123 miles. Tuned that Hundai grand today man, I hate that piano. Had to remove the action, clean the key bed and lub it, squeaking and creaking. Tighten the pedals, again, and lub those too. That is, after I found someone to open up the church for me because they forgot! Replaced humidifier wicks. Charged $193.

2. Tuned an Ackerman console. Honestly? I've never heard of it before today. What is it? Who makes it? I don't like it. I raised it 1/2 over all but up to 1 full tone in the treble. It was all over the place for the same reasons Dave mentioned. Tuned by an El Cheapo Tooner. I removed the action, tightened the flanges, lubricated the damper rod, man, was it ever noisy! Tightened the pedals, they were loose, wobbling and noisy, re-glued several loose hammer butt heels, removed a few paper clips and a BIG hair pin stuck between the keys. Need to return to regulate action and re-glue back rail cloth from D-3-A-3. Pulled and bunched up there creating problems. Charged $260.

3. Tuned the Everett grand. Replaced humidifier pads. Phew! Finally a decent piano to tune again! Charged $168.

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
We went to Spaceview park in Titusville to watch the space shuttle launch today. The park is about 10 miles from the launch site. It takes about 30 seconds after launch before we hear the roar and feel the vibrations. Only two more launches left. Here's a pic I took about 25 seconds into the flight:

[Linked Image]

Page 25 of 106 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 105 106

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission