2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, 13 invisible), 1,975 guests, and 331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 51 of 106 1 2 49 50 51 52 53 105 106
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Loren D
And finally, (drum roll please), lowered a nice fairly new Baldwin L to A435. All in a day's work!
thumb

Les Koltvedt
Servicing the Greater Atlanta area
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate
B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Jerry Groot RPT
I'll be danged if we didn't find MY shoe in his bedroom closet!!! Now, there's a first! A shoe thief! smile

Ha Ha, Jerry, I've had maids and dogs steal my shoes. One dog chewed on it - it was a newer pair too! Slip on loafers are the rule with me. It took deep snow up north for me to get the boots out, because of the hassle putting boots on and off.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Jerry, you killed time?? :p

YA! And, today, tuned 3 this morning. Got started at around 9:30. Between looking for the blasted lights which I finally found, and then fiddling around trying to figure out how to shut them back out again, there went 30 minutes and, waiting for nobody to show up again before I realized, I had a key in my bag for the church, 20 more minutes. Heah, getting old SUCKS. But. I was still out of there by noon.

Now Jerry, instead of killing time, you could have tuned 2 more pianos in that slot! crazy

Coulda woulda shoulda. NOT! hahaha.

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Ha haaaa! I to do another two posts in a row..

1. Today, tuned a nice Yamaha P202 that I've been tuning like clockwork since the piano was new in 1980. I regulated it, filed hammers, leveled keys, mated hammers to strings and strings to hammers and did some voicing back in May of this year. Came out great and still sounded good but was a little bit flat so, I raised it to pitch.

2. Tuned a Samick console. Raised 1/4-1/2 tone to 440. She was complaining about 4 notes that were not playing and said it has always been that way. The last tuner said, that's just the way some verticals are. Well, I found one of the hammers had popped out and had lodged itself between these other ones. Like DUH! The last person never bothered to tighten the butt plate screws in the back, like ever! I removed the action, tightened everything, put the hammer back in and all's well that ends well.

3. Tuned a Yamaha C-7.

4. Tuned a Yamaha P22.

5. All done! Bigggg boooooy!!

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Kimball spinet, George Steck (older) console, Acrosonic spinet, and a Story & Clark console.

Now, on with Thanksgiving!!

DiGiorgi Piano Service
http://www.digiorgipiano.com
Welllll, today was the last day of my full time job. (Auto parts sales) Gave my notice in October. Next week I get back to work at tuning and repairing pianos like I want to do. Sink or swim, gotta go after it.

Already have work lined up for my first week so maybe things will be okay. Had to take a job for a bit when the economy went south. But my work lately has picked back up to the point I can make it on my own.

Tuning and repairing pianos since 1981 in Ranger, Tx. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Roys-Piano-Service/173273022711505
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
That's good to hear Roy. Good luck!

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Good luck and best wishes, Roy!

DiGiorgi Piano Service
Yesterday I tuned a new Blüthner Model 2 (in a custom Pyramid Mahogany veneer that is spectacular), a new Kawai K5, a new Blüthner Model 4, and, after hunting down the source of a clicking noise, reglued a slightly loose catcher shank on a '74 Kawai that is definitely approaching the end of its musical life.

Nothing like tuning a Blüthner - the feel of the pins in the block is perfect, and the consistency of the pin tightness they achieve at the factory is extraordinary. There never seems to be even one pin that is even the slightest bit looser or tighter than the others. I also think that Bösendorfer achieves an exceptional consistency in this regard. (If only our beloved vintage Baldwins had pinblocks with these same characteristics!)

I'm had the chance to tune quite a few Blüthners with the aliquot strings - they are fascinating and add a beautiful dimension to the overall sound of the treble - and if you don't get them just right, you'll easily hear it! Especially on Models 1 and 2, the aliquot string effect is quite audible.

Keyboardist & Composer, Piano Technician
www.jamescarney.net
http://jamescarneypianotuning.wordpress.com/
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Yesterday tuned a 75 year old Gulbransen console that is still going very strong. Mostly due to the fact that this lady has tuned it pretty much yearly and has work done when required. It has a great tone yet. Then, I tuned a Story & Clark console with loose tuning pins but, holding. Barely. Number 3 was a Yamaha GH1 grand and an Everett studio built in South Haven Mi.

Today, I tuned 5. A Yamaha console, an Everett grand built by Yamaha, a Schimmel upright, a Petrof studio, an older Wurlitzer studio. Went out for lunch at around 1:00 PM when we were finished for the day. smile

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
P
P
Tuned 3 yesterday and looked at a repair job some other "technician" hammered. Tuned a 9' Baldwin grand for the college, and a Knabe upright in a classroom there. Training an apprentice at the same time I might add. He is doing quite well, proud of him, nice fella and great to talk to. Not smart mouth, and intelligent, yet only 24. Nice kid. Any way, left the college and tuned a Yamaha grand, G1 that has a humidity system installed. The piano is super nice and has not been tuned for a year, this time last year actually, and was still in need of only a good brushing. The humidity system is a plus for sure. The previous tuner for that piano messed it up so badly, that they fired him and called to college to find me. then I went to another church up the road from there, same "tech" and he is still at it there. The keys were sticking, notes didn't play, the voicing was the worst I have ever heard... one treble octave so muffled and soft that you could hardly tell the pitch, and others so bright your teeth hurt. They wanted me to evaluate the piano. O opened it up (yamaha c5) and the sights I beheld...
Well, there were several newer hammershanks, like 6-8, and most were the wrong ones. One had the end of the flange cut off to make it fit. That one had the hammer on crooked and it rubbed against the next hammer... thus sticky keys. But there was so little left of the flange, that I could not tighten it an dmake it hold. Had to put a shim in between the flanges to keep it straight. Would have liked to replace the shank, but so much damage done, thatthis would have been a waste of time in light of other issues. The hammers were filed flat-topped, and some were like bricks, others voiced to a fuzzy cottonball surface. The top hammer had been broken off, and laying inside. I can almost guarantee the damage was done by pulling the action out with keys depressed, snapping them off. Such a shame and so avoidable. I suggested new hammers, new shanks, a regulation, and FIRE THAT TECH!!! We'll see what happens. They complained of the piano having a thin jangly sound even after this stinker had "tuned" it. Yeah, knowing his work and hearing this piano just tuned 3 weeks ago, the thin sound and jangly noises could be corrected if the piano was properly tuned and maintained. The tuning was awful and the the tech was doing them no favors.
Today, tuned a white Yamaha c5 that hadn't been tuned since last year some time, and still just needed a brush-up. BTW, there were keys sticking, a pencil in the action. Wonderful piano and a huge voice. I have a Harriman grand to do this evening, needs lots of work, and I am looking a bigger grand of decent quality for them to replace it.

Last edited by PianoTech70; 12/01/10 03:50 PM.

Robert Noble, Noble Piano Services, Mansfield, OH
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Got nailed on the freeway for going too fast; who ever heard of such a thing….. so the guy goes around the vehicle and ends up tapping on the passenger window.

I leaned over and opened the door; then I asked “do you need a ride? I can get you there in a hurry!”

He started laughing; said that was the best one he has heard in a while. Looked at my licence; gave me the attitude speech; let me go…..145 in a 90 zone…..wooopppppeeeeee I’m free!!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Silverwood Pianos

Got nailed on the freeway for going too fast; who ever heard of such a thing….. so the guy goes around the vehicle and ends up tapping on the passenger window.

I leaned over and opened the door; then I asked “do you need a ride? I can get you there in a hurry!”

LOL good one! You have 90 MPH zones? 65 is the max here.

Today I did a Yamaha P2 in a church, then an old DuoArt mini-player. From there, an older Kawai grand on stage in a theater, then a trip to a historical society to do a very old Hughes upright. Finished off with a 70's vintage Hamilton at a convent. Nice full day! Horrible weather, though..cold and rainy all day.

DiGiorgi Piano Service
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

My mistake.... that is kilometers. 80km=50mph

145 is around 90mph

Got some tuning done too in between; 4 UST 7's and a RX-2

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Yesterday started worked with a mentor on regulating a S&S M action. Learn while you earn is a great thing..lol

Les Koltvedt
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
It's been an all-American piano week for me so far. Steinways and Baldwins, exclusively, for Thursday and Friday. Among the notables: a Steinway "B", Steinway "CB", Steinway "L"...and a nice little 1942 Acrosonic, in which my father installed new bass strings and hammers "a while ago".

Eric Gloo
Piano Technician
Certified Dampp-Chaser Installer
Richfield Springs, New York
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Always nice to experience the local crowd once in a while.

L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
6 today. Mason & Hamlin A, older model Story & Clark console (of which I'm writing a separate thread about), Gulbransen console, Janssen spinet, Brentwood console, and a Yamaha GH1. Nice, busy day!

DiGiorgi Piano Service
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Just a Yammy G1 in a church and the lights were being rewired, so once again I find myself in the mushroom effect... in the dark.

Les Koltvedt
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
145 is around 90mph

I love speed! I got stopped a few days ago doing 50 in a 30 zone but, he let me off too!

Tuned a Yamaha grand, raised 1/4 tone. Removed the action, regulated the damper stop rail. Spaced many hammers over, hitting 2 notes when soft pedal was used and also regulated the treble cheek block screw for same. Tightened action screws on it too.

Tuned a Story & Clark studio. Been tuning this piano every December for 35 years.

Tuned an Everett console for a 90 year old woman and her 86 year old husband. Nice people. Raised it 1/4 tone to pitch. Nice piano too. They talked my ears off but, that's okay. We had some really good laughs.

HAH! Got my desired 3 done today!

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
Page 51 of 106 1 2 49 50 51 52 53 105 106

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission