2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, 6 invisible), 1,307 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Do you think if I ordered some more score books, the store would wrap it up so they look like Linguistics textbooks or something?? I don't want Mr SK to roll his eyes at me whenI get another score book in the mail!! grin
What is it with the score-addiction anyway??

I noticed that the David Lanz Christmas collection being talked about in the other thread is now on sale-- the original arrangements one, but apparently not the easy piano version. So that pretty much seals the deal for me, I'll get tha book for serious playing, and maybe one other easy piano Christmas book for sightreading practice. Because, you know, I've already read through all the other 10 Christmas score books I have! Honest!! grin

Oh, BTW the sale I'm talking about is at SheetMusicPlus, but I bet other places will have their Christmas stuff on sale too, now's the time to buy and play! (Those guys oughta give me commission! laugh

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Uh, oh. I hate it when people use four-letter words! "Sale" ALWAYS gets me in trouble! I'll need to go shop at lunchtime!

Collector of sheet music I can't play.

Chickering & Sons Quarter Grand (rebuilt 2021)
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
Do you think if I ordered some more score books, the store would wrap it up so they look like Linguistics textbooks or something?? I don't want Mr SK to roll his eyes at me when I get another score book in the mail!! grin
What is it with the score-addiction anyway??

Mr SK may get you a membership in Sheet Music Anonymous and send you to rehab...

Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
I noticed that the David Lanz Christmas collection being talked about in the other thread is now on sale-- the original arrangements one, but apparently not the easy piano version. So that pretty much seals the deal for me, I'll get tha book for serious playing, and maybe one other easy piano Christmas book for sightreading practice.

I recommend this "easy piano" collection by one of the best piano arrangers around today - I'm using it to much advantage, and although the arrangements are good for sight-reading practice they're also excellent for playing, listening and recording in their own right thumb

Dan Coates Complete Christmas Music Collection

JF

Edited to add that it's on sale!!

Last edited by John Frank; 10/27/10 01:05 PM.

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
We should post pictures of all our collected music and music related books!! I've filled a filing cabinet, bookshelf, night table and plastic tote containers....not to mention what is scattered about my piano.....and left in my teacher's room so I don't have to cart it around campus on weekdays......total addict here.....

It's the journey not the destination..
[Linked Image]
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
JF, I saw that book and was wondering about it (I was thinking I've heard people compliment Coates arrangements a fair amount) so thanks for the recommendation!

Sandy, (and JF, everyone for that matter!) I should be allowed to buy extra sheet music, because when we left Japan, I gave a lot of my collection away!!! It's so explensive to ship things, so I selected some leave at at my in-laws house, and I only brought a small amount with me! That's why I think I have empty nest bookshelf syndrome! grin

Edited to add: Jeanie, you're right, "sale" is a four letter word, I'm sorry for swearing!!

Next up, "show us pictures of your score collection" thread?? I'll snap a photo when I get home, and if someone else doesn't start it, I will! smile

Last edited by ShiroKuro; 10/27/10 05:41 PM.

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
The Dan Coates collection looks like a nice selection. I will really want the Huron Christmas Carol though.... anyone know of nice (beginner ) books that might include it?

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Cheryl, I hadn't heard of that before, so I hunted around on YouTube and listened to a few versions. Very pretty! Looks like it's either called "The Huron Christmas Carol," or "Twas in the Moon of Wintertime," so be sure to look for both names. Did you try SheetMusicDirect and SheetMusicPlus? Also, you might just type in the song name, and then "sheet music" or something like that. (oh, also maybe "the Canadian Christmas Carol"??)

I wanted a nice version of the Carol of the Bells (before I felt ready to try George Winston's version) and I ended up buying 3 or 4 different collections just to get different arrangements of it! In the end, I found a decent one, added some parts from other arrangements and came up with a piece of music that I really enjoyed. (If I don't get very far with Winston's version, I'll pull out that old version and play it this summer.)

Good luck with your search, I'm sure you'll be able to find it!

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Its funny I just bought a couple of Christmas music today. It’s kind of addiction. During this time of the year I enjoy nothing more than just noodling around Christmas music on the piano. One of the books I got today is “Repeat the sounding joy” by Melody Bobber. Most of the key signatures on the book is C or F! It’s my kind of sight reading (LOL) yet the music sounds great. The other one is Jeanine Yeager’s Christmas Celebrations. I just tried Joy to the world on it – It’s really cool. Anyway I don't think this habit is curable. I hope there is free music exchange somewhere.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Ah yes, it's that time of the year where the wife puts pressure on me, "the pianist" to play some Christmas songs...lol.

I found some "high quality" sheet music from one of my YouTube buddy's videos. Here's the link:

Christmas Piano Music

You need to download the sheets once you're in the sight.

Here is a sample:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dlTHwmvzE4

Let me know what you guys think. This isn't really easy to learn in a quick time (for me anyway), so I'd better get to work. Plan B is to just play some simple songs.

YouTube Channel
Scott Joplin Repertoire

Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
- Berthold Auerbach

[Linked Image]
C
C
Joseph Martin is a great arranger and has a wonderful book of Christmas arrangements that everyone should try.

Here's the link to it at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Tapestry-Shawnee-Press/dp/1592350356

Here is a link to a guy on youtube playing some of the arrangements (you can see the others by clicking the related videos off to the right):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyE4ZFSxqPQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx1JANgX2qw&feature=related

Last edited by cbentley; 10/27/10 09:56 PM.
D
D
I just received my order from sheet music plus.com yesterday. I got easy piano the best christmas songs ever (white cover with the word christmas spelled out) and big note 35 christmas songs and carols(dog on cover). They look really good just the right level for me. Now I just have to figure out where to store all my music books. Am I the only one that has this problem?

F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Now I want more christmas music.

Y
Y
Cebukid, thank you for the link!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I just got the Dan Coates Complete Christmas music collection. At dinner last night, each member of my family (myself included) chose a piece for me to play. Here is my list of songs to learn by Christmas morning:

All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth (chosen by my youngest son)
Christmas in Killarney(oldest son)
Silent Night (husband's pick)
Merry Christmas Darling (my pick)

My younger son will play some pieces from my last year's Christmas book (the one I use for sight reading now yippie and we will give a mini-concert Christmas morning. Everyone is excited and we had a lot of fun laughing at how sick and tired everyone would actually be of the songs by the day of the concert.

I do recommend the book highly though. My teacher described the arrangements as Early intermediate.

Christine

[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by GlassLove
I just got the Dan Coates Complete Christmas music collection. At dinner last night, each member of my family (myself included) chose a piece for me to play. Here is my list of songs to learn by Christmas morning:

All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth (chosen by my youngest son)
Christmas in Killarney(oldest son)
Silent Night (husband's pick)
Merry Christmas Darling (my pick)

I do recommend the book highly though. My teacher described the arrangements as Early intermediate.

I just finished study on Dan's excellent arrangement of "Merry Christmas, Darling" - one of the very best Christmas tunes of the last half century (as popularized by The Carpenters and the strinkingly beautiful voice of Karen Carpenter). I'll probably submit my recording of this to Mr Super Hunkey's annual Christmas Music thread which usually commences in early December here in the ABF.

JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Last year my then 12-year old granddaughter and I alternated playing Christmas carols for each other and anyone else who wanted to listen. We had a ball. Then I taught her two younger brothers, 5 and 7, to play the first few bars of "We Three Kings..." and "Jingle Bells" by rote. They were so proud. My granddaughter had to give up her lessons last year due to her dad's work hours being cut back, and the little ones never got to start. She still plays piano some on her own. I hope she can still remember to play well enough that we can have our little concert again this year.

I thought that I had enough Christmas music for this year, but after reading this thread, I want to add to my collection too. I'd love to get an easy version of "Carol of the Bells".

mom3gram

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission