Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1546954 - 10/30/10 01:11 PM Present for Piano teacher
MrHazelton Offline

Loc: CT
I'm trying to get a head start on my Christmas shopping this year. I find it very difficult to purchase a present for my piano teacher. I set the budget for this at $50. Last year I scoured the internet for many hours trying to find or at least think of that perfect present. In the end I had to settle on a gift card to the Olive Garden. She loved it but it wasn't really what I wanted to give. Gift cards, to me, seem like something you give when you don't want to put to much thought into a gift. I was disappointed because I did try real hard to come up with a good gift and finally settled for the gift card. I would like to avoid that this year if I can. I thought of a few things and I'm curious what you all think about them. There are con's to all of them so I'm not really sold on any of them. I thought of perhaps purchasing two tickets to a local theater show. Or maybe having Omaha Steaks delivered to her home (I have friends that do this and they love it) but I'm not sure if she eats meat or not. Nice bottle of wine or something, but again I don't know if she drinks wine. Perhaps a gift card (which I don't really want to do) to the local massage therapist or something like that. Are these gifts appropriate? How would you feel to receive one of these or do you have any better suggestions? What's the coolest gift you have ever received from a student?

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#1546971 - 10/30/10 01:50 PM Re: Present for Piano teacher [Re: MrHazelton]
DanLaura Larson Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Pocatello, Idaho
The best gift I ever received was from one of my college students who had tried and tried to prepare to audition for the piano program but just didn't have a musical bone in her body. She gave me a beautiful silver piano shaped music box with my name engraved on it. The thing that really touched me, though, was the note she wrote. She said that she knew she was not musically inclined, and knew she could never do anything with music, and had appreciated the 2 years I had spent with her, trying to get her to "feel the beat", and working with her on things like gross motor skills. We marched, danced, clapped, tapped, and every other motion you could possible imagine. She had the strongest desire for music that I have ever seen in a student! She saved all of her money during her teen years and purchased a Baldwin grand piano (with cash!) at age 19. It broke my heart because she had zero musical ability. She couldn't sing on pitch, clap on beat, or hear the difference between major or minor. The night she gave me the gift she told me that she decided to quit trying to get into the music program and get a business degree (which she was VERY good at), something I had been urging her to do all along. It was very nice to read in words how much she had appreciated my help and patience. I really loved this student, and was heartbroken with her as she realized she couldn't fulfill her heart's desire.
So, in answer to your question, I'm a big fan of a nice, heartfelt note. Whatever gift you give is just a bonus.
Laura
http://www.stoneformsart.com/

#1546975 - 10/30/10 02:00 PM Re: Present for Piano teacher [Re: MrHazelton]
Feminicricket Offline

Loc: USA
For me the biggest gift would be a genuine "Thank you" and hard work practicing. But I understand what you are wanting to do. I think that a Borders or Barnes &Nobles, or a Vanilla Mastercard giftcard is fine. When students buy objects, I don`t have enough place in my home to put it because it is small and full of things. I normally transfer the Vanilla Mastercard into a grocery store giftcard so that it does not expire. Restaurant gift cards are fine too. A box of chocolates if your teacher is not on a diet (I am!!). I get gift cards all the time and I think that it is thoughtful of the parents to give one to me. Gift cards never crossed my mind as a gift that no one gave much time to think about.

#1547131 - 10/30/10 06:56 PM Re: Present for Piano teacher [Re: MrHazelton]
Canonie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
The most precious thing is always the card with the students own words and it's a bonus if the card is homemade. I am a little embarrassed by expensive presents and would prefer something smaller, and it's important too that my tiny home doesn't end up too cluttered with gifts.

I like:
Anything homemade ( by you or someone you know ) eg biscuits, cake, jar of pickles or preserves, homemade craft, a propogated plant.
Anything that can be used in piano lessons - any stationary even just a few nice pencils, or 'eraser', notepad, stickies, piano or music themed things are fun.

And if you really want to give something more expensive I have to say some of the ads on this site often catch my eye - that circle of 5th clock looks great! and there are other novel things that catch my eye (trying not to look!). Perhaps with these things you could try and find out whether they would find a happy home with the teacher first; nothing wrong with that I don't think. A student family once took me to the opera as a present but they asked in advance if I would like to. It was a goodbye present and was very much appreciated!

Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.

#1547189 - 10/30/10 08:28 PM Re: Present for Piano teacher [Re: MrHazelton]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
I agree with the personal note/card. And Canonie! The opera! Terrific one!

I always love:
- book/CD vouchers. A nice touch is if you hand-write a gift sticker to put inside whatever book it is that the teacher buys.
- musical things like pencils, mugs etc
- photo frame. You can never have too many photo frames.
- did I mention book vouchers?

#1547207 - 10/30/10 09:04 PM Re: Present for Piano teacher [Re: MrHazelton]
david_a Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Gifts aren't really necessary - saying something is enough.

The best gifts I have ever gotten from students were home-made food (cookies etc) from adults, and hand-made cards from little children.

The ... well, not worst, but maybe most inconvenient ... gift I ever got was a pound (or was it two?) of beautiful expensive coffee beans. I don't drink coffee more than once a week, and I don't even have a coffee grinder! smile I asked around, and gave the still-sealed bag of beans to a very appreciative friend, so of course there was nothing bad about it - just not quite what my students intended.

A side note: Don't buy a long-established piano teacher any things to put in their piano room. They already have twenty of the same one in a corner of the attic. smile

#1547219 - 10/30/10 09:22 PM Re: Present for Piano teacher [Re: MrHazelton]
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
that's a lovely story Laura. i've been buying piano novelties for a couple decades now and have superfluosity.

i give my students gifts.

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)

#1547253 - 10/30/10 10:22 PM Re: Present for Piano teacher [Re: MrHazelton]
Canonie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

That's why I suggested to check first (re novelty items)!

The 'opera' family I mentioned also gave me a card containing a note from parent and a note from the child. I used to read it every week it made me feel so good. There was also a beautiful piece of glassware from their country of origin and some sweets. Feeling overwhelmed just thinking about it - and she came for only 7 months or so.
PS they picked me up and drove me to the opera too smile I really shouldn't post about this should I, because ppl may stop believing that the homemade card is the most treasured of all BUT IT IS smile
I do miss that child, she was soooo talented and quick :'(

Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.

#1547309 - 10/31/10 12:34 AM Re: Present for Piano teacher [Re: MrHazelton]
Candywoman Offline
500 Post Club Member

I appreciate cash the most. If you put $50 in an envelope, it would mean so much! The cards are nice too but they go into the recycle. I never forget people who've given me cash.

Edited by Candywoman (10/31/10 12:35 AM)

#1547660 - 10/31/10 01:32 PM Re: Present for Piano teacher [Re: MrHazelton]
Lollipop Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia
The thing that makes gift giving so hard, is that folks are so different! It is hard for strangers to say what someone else might or might not like.

I personally don't care for cash gifts. Too impersonal. My family appreciates the edible gifts, but I don't usually eat them myself. The only gifts I currently have displayed in my lesson room are a small piano-shaped photo frame, and a handmade piece of "pottery" (the term is used very, very loosely) with a then brand-new student's attempts at creating notes on a staff in the bowl of the piece.

I have a file folder with every homemade card or hand-drawn picture any student has ever given me.

I have received some nice things over the years - a fancy box with gift soaps, hand towels, Christmas ornaments in music shapes, stationary, unusual kitchen gadgets, etc. Most of these smaller gifts are usually accompanied by hand written notes. Mainly, I believe it is the "thought" that counts, so small gifts that say, "We thought of you" mean the most to me.

#1548024 - 10/31/10 09:48 PM Re: Present for Piano teacher [Re: MrHazelton]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
I'm always touched just by the gesture. Some of my parents think I should love tea, so I get it by the boat load. Being Dutch, I'm a coffee lover, but my wife, who loves tea, is thrilled, and I certainly appreciate the thoughtfulness. And yes, after 30 years of teaching I still love piano oriented gifts. So don't worry too much about it. I'm certain what ever you decide will be graciously received.

#1548040 - 10/31/10 10:23 PM Re: Present for Piano teacher [Re: MrHazelton]
Tubbie0075 Offline
500 Post Club Member

The best gift in many cases is the one that is thoughtful and comes from the heart.

Any gift would be a nice gesture to show your appreciation of your teacher's hard work. Knowing a bit more of your teacher helps.

I remember getting my violin teacher some vynal? records for classical music after stumbling into them in a book shop during a work trip because they are hard to find and she prefers it over CDs. Then I got her a cat figurine in another work trip because she loves cats. I think a note that comes with the gift is best as it serves as a positive feedback to your teacher.

I have now left my violin teacher and moved back to learning the piano with another teacher. Even so, I'd write to her and tell her about my progress, send DVD of our concerts so she sees how I play (violin), let her know when I have a new video up on YouTube etc. She would welcome these and provide constructive feedback. I still see her as my teacher even though I no longer taking lessons from her. I hope she feels the same, that I'm still her student.

I'm suppose to help with your question. Sorry it turned out to be a story of me missing my violin teacher!

#1548171 - 11/01/10 05:28 AM Re: Present for Piano teacher [Re: MrHazelton]
Pedagogia Offline

Hi

I dont know what the prices are where you are from but maybe a Sid Dickens Memory Block - one with the music theme.
They are a very nice gift.

BB

#1552994 - 11/07/10 03:06 PM Re: Present for Piano teacher [Re: MrHazelton]
Tubbie0075 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Got a Borders gift card for piano teacher. I dont know much about teacher after only 6 month with him but know he likes to read. As most suggested, will write a one page appreciation note to go with it :-)

#1552999 - 11/07/10 03:13 PM Re: Present for Piano teacher [Re: MrHazelton]
findingnemo2010 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

an apple =$

#1553261 - 11/07/10 08:56 PM Re: Present for Piano teacher [Re: MrHazelton]
Ebony and Ivory Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Minnesota
I understand what you mean about gift cards. Maybe you could stealthily find out where he likes to hang out and get one for that place. That wouldn't be impersonal since it's his hang out. I really don't like/want musical gifts like mugs, mini-pianos etc...too many over the years. Paper products would be sensible though, like music stationary or note cards. Food is good, but like everyone else said, be sure to find out a bit about his likes before you do that. It wouldn't be too hard to find out his favorite restaurant or store either. I don't have a problem with cash, it always comes in handy!

My favorites are the homemade notes and cards. Just the gesture is so appreciated and I have them all on the walls smile $50 is a lot, the most I ever got was $40 and that was from 2 sisters.

Professional private piano teacher since 1994.

#1553308 - 11/07/10 10:09 PM Re: Present for Piano teacher [Re: MrHazelton]
gooddog Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
If your teacher loves Beethoven, there is a wonderful set of CD's of master classes with Daniel Barenboim coaching some very advanced students through the major sonatas. My teacher really loved it.

Deborah

#1554047 - 11/09/10 12:33 AM Re: Present for Piano teacher [Re: MrHazelton]
pianoist d'amore Offline

Loc: El Macero, CA, USA
I'm thinking about getting a really good recording of all the pieces that we did this year and put them on a mini USB card for my piano teacher. I'm not sure if he'd be happy to get them... Well, even if he doesn't care for it, at least he can reuse the USB card.

Or... maybe I'll get lazy and just do the very first and very last ones we studied this year so he can hear my progress from Minuets in the Notebook for AMB to Bach's Inventions and feel that at least we didn't waste each other's precious time.

#1554150 - 11/09/10 06:34 AM Re: Present for Piano teacher [Re: MrHazelton]
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: boston north
How about a framed piece of music? The ones with great graphics. Or copies of an antique music magazine? Both can be puchased on ebay or from antique dealers. At one PW piano party, the owner had several large graphic music framed in her guest bathroom. It was beautiful.

One favorite gift from a student was a book of classical music. Oversized, musty, no cover. But the young girl had found a stack at a yard sale and was so excited that it had Chopin in it and the music was so big! It showed me that she now had interest in looking a music without it being handed to her and I cherish it.

Another idea would be tickets to a local concert. If you keep your ears open, you might find out the teacher's likes or desires.

#1560703 - 11/19/10 10:38 AM Re: Present for Piano teacher [Re: MrHazelton]
MrHazelton Offline

I was thinking about purchasing two tickets to the show "Rent" at one of our local theaters for my teacher. The prices fall within my budgeted amount. Do you feel that this would be a good Christmas gift? Thanks.

#1560705 - 11/19/10 10:47 AM Re: Present for Piano teacher [Re: MrHazelton]
Argerich5405 Offline

I am getting my teacher a wonderful journal (from Barnes and Nobles) leather-bound, decorated with musical notes (made in Italy). It's a very nice journal for him to write thoughts in or to keep schedules of students. I'd noticed that he didn't have a computer (he's old, lol) and used lined paper to keep track of students' lessons and fees...so I figured this could be a good gift for him. It's actually a very very nice journal, cost about $35. Haha, I actually got one for myself too.

#1560742 - 11/19/10 12:32 PM Re: Present for Piano teacher [Re: MrHazelton]
T'sMom Offline

I know that what my teacher would appreciate most is cash. He and his wife have a new baby, and any of us who are parents know how expensive that is! I'm wondering what an appropriate amount is. For those of you who are or teach adult students, what is a "usual" amount-- relative to a lesson fee? I was thinking maybe the cost of 2 lessons?

For my son's piano teacher, I was thinking of having my son make him something personal (small and disposable so as not to clutter the studio). He is semi-retired, his lesson fees are already high for our area, and I just don't feel like cash is the appropriate way to go for him.

#1560761 - 11/19/10 01:14 PM Re: Present for Piano teacher [Re: MrHazelton]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
I'd feel really funny if any of my students gave me cash. I agree that the things I really cherish are the cards.
It isn't too hard to find out if your teacher likes wine or chocolate - and gift certificates for a book shop - or a music shop! - are always appreciated.

I also liked the idea of the recording of your work to date, or the tickets to RENT.

Things that are useful - note pads, diaries, calendars - are great. Knicknacks are not.

#1560802 - 11/19/10 03:03 PM Re: Present for Piano teacher [Re: MrHazelton]
wavelength Offline

Loc: Vermont, USA
Personally, I don't have time for Rent, or the inclination. IMO that's a riskier proposition than wine or chocolate. A $50 bottle of wine? Now we're talking wink

#1561006 - 11/19/10 10:27 PM Re: Present for Piano teacher [Re: wavelength]
MrHazelton Offline

I thought of wine, but I'm not sure if she drinks or not, and I'm not sure how to ask. How does everyone else feel about "Rent" tickets?

#1561100 - 11/20/10 05:54 AM Re: Present for Piano teacher [Re: MrHazelton]
Canonie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: MrHazelton
I thought of wine, but I'm not sure if she drinks or not, and I'm not sure how to ask. How does everyone else feel about "Rent" tickets?

I was driven from someone's house recently because the person in the next room was playing rather obnoxious* music, non-quietly. It went on and on and on... until I went and asked "what is that music you have playing?" answer "Rent, the musical". "It sounds like fun music" I said (happy that I didn't actually lie). Some people are allergic to musicals, but with no visible symptoms. It's not worth the risk.

But one of the posh-est presents I ever received (a farewell) was when parent said that they were planning to go to "-" opera, would I like to come as her guest? Yes please!!! So just ask first if you want to give something like this, it could save embarrassment.

*IMO!!

Alex Ross.

#1561219 - 11/20/10 11:31 AM Re: Present for Piano teacher [Re: MrHazelton]
SAnnM AB-2001 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
I occasionally (every couple of years) include a CD of music I've done on my own or improved on since we finished working on it. Last year however, it took my teacher 3 months before he actually listened to it so now I'm thinking that it was more like 'work' for him. He did say he thought it was really, really, good and the first time I did it he said he was very flattered that I was ambitious and cared enough to record..but I don't think I'll give him another one anytime soon - it feels 'sillly' now for some reason. I usually give a wall calendar and a good bottle of wine with a very nice hand-written thank you note. Last year I gave him a book that I knew he liked. I remember wondering if it was too 'personal' but he really appreciated it and I would do it again if there was a title I knew he wanted.

#1561317 - 11/20/10 03:49 PM Re: Present for Piano teacher [Re: MrHazelton]
wavelength Offline

Loc: Vermont, USA
I wouldn't be too keen on getting a cd of my student's playing as a gift. I care about my students and I would listen to a cd that they gave me, but it would indeed be work- it would be my gift to them.

No matter what you give, the gesture will be appreciated smile Gift certificates at a book store or record store are always good.

#1561354 - 11/20/10 05:07 PM Re: Present for Piano teacher [Re: MrHazelton]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, OH
How about a gift certificate to the local theater, with a printout of the ad for Rent? That way, if she doesn't like that play, she can always use it for another one.

As for wine, I just asked my teacher if he and his wife liked wine before I bought any for them.

I once got him one of those Circle of Fifths clocks that's advertised on this site as a house-warming gift. (That was just after he started teaching me about the circle of fifths.) I was a little worried about that one, but he'd never seen one before and seemed really pleased with it and said he'd put it in his home studio.

#1570122 - 12/04/10 03:14 PM Re: Present for Piano teacher [Re: MrHazelton]
ShiroKuro Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: not in Japan anymore
This thread isn't too old, is it ok if I revive it?

Last year I gave my teacher Ferraro?? Roche? The chocolates wrapped in gold foil. ThenI logged on to the PW teacher's forum and several people had written "whatever you do, don't give those awful Ferrare Roche's" cry

This year I went to Macy's, but the only thing I could find (that won't break the bank) were Godiva chocolates, so I got those.

I was hoping for something more inspired... I gave her a gift from Japan (where I used to live) this summer, and she seemed to really like that. But right now, I can't do too much shopping and can't think of anything interesting! maybe I should have considered the stationary/diary/calendar route??

Anyway, if anyone has any thoughts to add to the ideas in this thread so far, please do!!

#1570158 - 12/04/10 03:57 PM Re: Present for Piano teacher [Re: MrHazelton]
sarah_elizabeth Offline

Loc: Texas, U.S.
I don't know if anyone's mentioned this earlier in the thread, but this year I got my teacher a gift certificate to her favorite restaurant, and I did a similar thing last year. She really seems to enjoy that - and I make sure it's enough so that she can bring someone along if she wants to.

#1570167 - 12/04/10 04:11 PM Re: Present for Piano teacher [Re: MrHazelton]
3000 Post Club Member

I thought about the gift certificate to a restaurant thing, but I can't quite afford what it would need to be to be dinner for two. frown

#1570372 - 12/04/10 10:34 PM Re: Present for Piano teacher [Re: MrHazelton]
saerra Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Hi ShiroKuro...

One year I got my teacher personalized pencils! I can't remember the name of the website, but I think alot of teachers use it for small toys/gifts... it was one of the few places where you could buy just a single box or two of the pencils (rather than buying 500 pencils!)

They had different colors to choose from, I did plain black with gold letters (classy looking!) - his name, and "Piano is fun" to give to his students wink He seemed to like them.

I've also done Amazon gift cards and baked goodies.

re: The restaurant... does it really have to cover the cost of 2 dinners? I mean, if it's going to cost $200, and you give $20, obviously they may not be able to use that... but if it's going to cost $40 and you give $20, it's still helping out, isn't it?

wink Not that I'm advocating gift cards for cheap restaurants!

Do you know any of your teachers other students? Maybe you could pool resources if you wanted to do something a little more pricey?

#1570397 - 12/05/10 12:29 AM Re: Present for Piano teacher [Re: MrHazelton]
rocket88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I know this has been said before, but a handwritten note on a card that says thanks for showing me how to make music is absolutely the most precious thing.

Those I treasure more than anything.

#1570498 - 12/05/10 07:19 AM Re: Present for Piano teacher [Re: sarah_elizabeth]
AZNpiano Online   sleepy
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Originally Posted By: sarah_elizabeth
but this year I got my teacher a gift certificate to her favorite restaurant

It's not even my favorite place to eat, but every year--without fail--I manage to get several of these "gift cards" to the same location.

#1570815 - 12/05/10 05:26 PM Re: Present for Piano teacher [Re: MrHazelton]
RSByrne Offline

Loc: Wollongong, AUS
My favorite present of all time: My student Connor who was about 9, was sitting outside my room looking embaressed and his sister was giggling at him and teasing him. He handed me a batch of home made shortbread cookies of all different shapes, and decrated with icing (obviously by him). I really loved it and though I should thank his mum. His mum told me it was all his idea and he made, decrated and wrapped them himself! It was very touching.

I also really love cards, pictures, drawings from students AND I love Christmas decorations! One student got me a beautiful carved angel and I really treasure it.

I recieve ALOT of ferra rocher chocolates... and I hate them frown

#1570972 - 12/05/10 10:58 PM Re: Present for Piano teacher [Re: MrHazelton]
3000 Post Club Member

Yeah, I won't be giving ferra rocher chocolates this year. Maybe next year I can get something that's interesting and not edible!

P.S. RSByrne, I used to teach English in elementary school in Japan, and the presents that little people give are so often touhing and sweet! I have many fond memories of being caught off guard with something some little person thought to make for me. smile

#1571168 - 12/06/10 09:39 AM Re: Present for Piano teacher [Re: MrHazelton]
C.Y. Offline

I hope my son's teacher like a crystal piano music box.

#1571249 - 12/06/10 12:02 PM Re: Present for Piano teacher [Re: RSByrne]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Originally Posted By: RSByrne
I also really love cards, pictures, drawings from students
Somehow I don't think my piano teacher would be so charmed by a drawing from me. laugh

#1571422 - 12/06/10 04:14 PM Re: Present for Piano teacher [Re: MrHazelton]
RSByrne Offline

You never know wink A couple of my older teenage students drew me some pictures and colouring in as a bit of a joke, but to their suprise I put them up on my wall like all the rest of them! smile

#1571574 - 12/06/10 08:23 PM Re: Present for Piano teacher [Re: MrHazelton]
Stanny Offline
1000 Post Club Member

My favorite gifts to receive are:
* A music related tree ornament
* A bag of good coffee beans
* A bottle of wine
* Anything chocolate
* Hand made card or a letter

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA

#1571581 - 12/06/10 08:40 PM Re: Present for Piano teacher [Re: MrHazelton]
Ann in Kentucky Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Kentucky
Mr. Hazelton,

I don't have a "coolest gift" to report, but I did love the "peppermint bark" candy I received one year. (OTOH I found out that I don't like Starbucks chocolate, but it was still nice to receive it.)

But truly, no matter what I receive, it is a thrill to open a gift and just receiving a gift really makes me feel appreciated.

Today I received a small bowl with a spoon (holiday colors) along with a mix to make a cheeseball. I've never made a cheese ball before, but I'll make this one. So thrilling to try something new. I'm delighted, yet if someone asked if I want a decorative bowl and a cheese ball mix I would have thought no. Having it given to me makes it very special.

In other words, the gift will be appreciated simply because you are giving it. That's my opinion anyway.

"She played upon her music box
a fancy air by chance,
And straightaway all her polka dots
began a lively dance."
-- Peter Newell

#1572001 - 12/07/10 12:34 PM Re: Present for Piano teacher [Re: MrHazelton]
Jonathan Baker Offline

Loc: New York City!
I have to agree with those who suggest edible gifts - cookies, chocolates, wine, etc.

Buying any clothing article is a risky (tastes are so particular) and gift coupons look a bit lame although they are practical for certain items (coupon for Barnes & Noble, for instance).

But cookies, chocolates, etc. will not be sitting on a shelf all year like some vase that isn't really wanted. I was delighted when a student gave me small tin of home-made cookies last year.

Besides, it really isn't the cost of a present, but the kindness of the gesture that makes an impression.

#1572526 - 12/08/10 08:17 AM Re: Present for Piano teacher [Re: MrHazelton]
ToriAnais Offline

Ditto on it being the thoughtfulness of the gesture that is the most touching, regardless of the actual gift, but i just wanted to mention my favourite gift so far this christmas. Along with a box of star shaped cookies, I was given a book called "Rock Connexions" that is a history of rock (term used loosely - it includes musicians like Tori Amos and Joni Mitchell), with a leaning towards how they all influenced each other. It is a really great book, and I found it a nice change from all the cookies and chocolates. So an *interesting* music related book might be an option? If you know their taste that is.

#1572875 - 12/08/10 05:57 PM Re: Present for Piano teacher [Re: MrHazelton]
RSByrne Offline

I got two presents yesterday. Hand cream and a really nice lemon meringue flavoured soap (I was temped to see if it tasted as yummy as it smelt wink ) and some chocolate flavored short bread biscuits. Funnily enough I never get any wine of my students.. thats one thing I would love! lol.

Other things other Teachers have recieved:
- books on music (history of music, bib of Handel etc.)
- music themed items (im super jealous as I have never recieved any! My boss got soaps, pencils, cups.. and me none!)
- christmas decorations (I got a porcelain one a few years ago taht was great, and a lovely candle holder!)
- drawings, cards (love them)
- Picture frames (musical and non musical)
- chocolates... so many chocolates! laugh

I like home made treats, chocolates, decorations, cards.. well just the thought laugh (although my student yesterday couldnt remember my name! lol, then he had to ask how to spell it whilst he wrote on the card!!)

#1572885 - 12/08/10 06:12 PM Re: Present for Piano teacher [Re: RSByrne]
Ann in Kentucky Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Kentucky
Originally Posted By: RSByrne

I like home made treats, chocolates, decorations, cards.. well just the thought laugh (although my student yesterday couldnt remember my name! lol, then he had to ask how to spell it whilst he wrote on the card!!)

That reminds me of a card I got 2 years ago, beautiful (store bought) card addressed to "Teacher". smile

"She played upon her music box
a fancy air by chance,
And straightaway all her polka dots
began a lively dance."
-- Peter Newell

#1572907 - 12/08/10 07:15 PM Re: Present for Piano teacher [Re: MrHazelton]
RSByrne Offline

Yeah he came running in and was like "your names Rebecca right?" Uh yep "how do you spell that" .. quickly scribbles on card! Lol. I guess I introduce myself the first lesson but I dont have my name on the door or anything lol.

#1579209 - 12/18/10 04:24 AM Re: Present for Piano teacher [Re: MrHazelton]
Elisha Offline

Loc: Vancouver Island
A little off topic, but I am curious; what do teachers think about receiving concert (symphony) tickets? (this is what I bought for my teacher for christmas this year-- but I am beginning to doubt whether or not it was a good idea!)

An additional consideration might be that the program consists of;
Mozart - Piano Concerto No. 23
Mendelssohn - Symphony No. 04 'Italian'
Britten - Simple Symphony
---- and the pianist is Angela Cheng ----

In any case, at least it isn't fierro rocher, or pot of gold, right? smile

#1579212 - 12/18/10 04:29 AM Re: Present for Piano teacher [Re: Elisha]
AZNpiano Online   sleepy
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Originally Posted By: Elisha-Marie
A little off topic, but I am curious; what do teachers think about receiving concert (symphony) tickets?

Are you kidding me? What a GREAT idea!

One of my student's mother asked me if I wanted some Asian pop singer's tickets. I told her no-thanks, not my style of music. So she ended up not giving me anything. Oh, well.

Edited by AZNpiano (12/18/10 04:31 AM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
136 registered (accordeur, Almaviva, 49 invisible), 1375 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74236 Members
42 Forums
153566 Topics
2250607 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
song i wrote. people in clubs love it
by jedplays
10 minutes 48 seconds ago
Fazioli "factory tour" video.
by R_B
33 minutes 7 seconds ago
Piano Science
by venice1
Today at 09:59 PM
MP7 vs MP11: only 6 differences?
by Marko in Boston
Today at 09:08 PM
the conclusion on weighted keys and developing technique
by B.Petrovic
Today at 09:02 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission