2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 12 invisible), 2,041 guests, and 314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
[Linked Image]

I am very tempted to make the first note of the second line an octave (by including the C# below the note written in the score).

I do not generally add notes to scores! And the octave is not in Henle, Paderewski or Mikuli. However:

1. It does appear in some editions (e.g. Kullak and Klindworth).
2. Paderewski writes "We have followed... Mikuli's version. The use of this octave is, however, very advisable."
3. This is Chopin (not, say, Debussy), and my sense is that more of these kinds of liberties are allowed.
4. It sounds really good.

I'm interested to hear what folks think, especially any of you who have played this nocturne!

-Jason

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
In the French first edition (teaching copy) an appoggiatura C# is added an octave below, so you are quite authentic.
Incidentally, do you play the con forza octaves with the LH alone?

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
If you like the sound of it then do it. Chopin is dead.

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by sandalholme
In the French first edition (teaching copy) an appoggiatura C# is added an octave below, so you are quite authentic.
Incidentally, do you play the con forza octaves with the LH alone?

I'm just starting the piece, so I don't really have established practices yet. But I'm planning on playing the octaves with the LH alone, yes. It will be less nuanced than a two-handed approach, but will be appropriate to the despair and devastation evoked for me by the passage.

-Jason

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
According to Jan Ekier's National Edition, an appogiatura C# is added in the Jane Stirling copy. They decided to put it also in the main text, with the source commentary saying it is a natural and fitting continuation of the octaves before.

Mateusz Papiernik
https://maticomp.net
"One man can make a difference" - Wilton Knight
Kawai CN21 (digital), Henryk Yamayuri Kawai NX-40 (grand)
A
A
Are you talking about adding a C# below where Tempo I begins, at the fz legato?

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
What do you base your third point on? Why, because it's Chopin, do you believe something like this is ok?

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by debrucey
If you like the sound of it then do it. Chopin is dead.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

♪ ≠ $

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by beet31425
It will be less nuanced than a two-handed approach, but will be appropriate to the despair and devastation evoked for me by the passage.
I save time by evoking despair and devastation in everything I play. smile

(I'm a piano teacher.)
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by stores
What do you base your third point on? Why, because it's Chopin, do you believe something like this is ok?
Chopin frequently made exactly this kind of change. It is arguable (I don't say it with any great conviction myself, but it is certainly a legitimate point of view) that any pianist who refuses to consider making minor changes to Chopin's scores is taking an unsuitably rigid approach to something that was never intended to be rigid.

(I'm a piano teacher.)
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I've performed this Nocturne many times, and I've actually tried it both ways - with the octave c# and as written.

On one hand, I think it's entirely possible that an octave c# could be appropriate. Our pianos are different, there's plenty of evidence that composers of that period (including Chopin) weren't 100% married to the score, and "because that's what it says in the score" is a terrible reason to do something.

But having played it over the years, I've decided that the octave c# is a bad idea for one simple reason:

It's too loud.

What I found is that when I played the octave c#, I had to flutter pedal the sound away over the next two measures in order to achieve a true piano (dynamic and tone) to support the entrance of the melody. And since the low strings tend to resonate with a lot of overtones, the sound wasn't able to become clear or clean enough.

Playing the single c# makes it so much easier to clean up the sound for the return of the A section melody, and the lower c# isn't missed if you actually voice the octaves correctly. (I fear many people, including myself at a time, simply bang through the octaves with a great sense of drama, giving little thought to how the line can be shaped.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

Why wouldn't it be okay?

I've never understood why people feel the goal of classical performance is simply to reproduce at the keyboard the exact details of the written score. At the very least, pianists should experiment a bit, trying different things here and there to see if they can gain some insight into the composer's thinking.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Whenever I have played and performed this Nocturne, I have always played the LH octaves with the LH rather than split them between the two hands, and I have always played the low C-sharp as an octave. I agree that I have had to do some flutter pedaling to reduce the volume of that doubled C-sharp for the return of the theme.

That said, Kreisler's point is a good argument for not adding the octave to the C-sharp; I'll give it a try bearing his reasoning in mind.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Thanks, guys. Nice feedback!

stores: I do think one's fidelity to the score is a function of the composer, his historical context, and what assumptions the score carried with it at the time. The relative freedom one has with Bach (e.g. in ornamentation) is in stark contrast to the awesome responsibility one has (IMO) to faithfully carry out a score of Debussy or Schoenberg to the last eighth-rest. I've heard it suggested that Chopin's attitude to his scores was more on the "free and exploratory" side of the spectrum.

That's all I meant; in particular my argument is not along the lines of "Chopin is so emotional, so if it feels good, do it."

Kreisler: When I work this up, I'm sure I'll try it both ways too. Being too loud is a good argument against. I wonder if it's possible to not have it so loud though-- play the octave, but not loud, or maybe play it loud, but emphasize the top note much more. That way, maybe you'll still have the lightening bolt-like shock of that low C#, but without the consequences. Something I'll experiment with when the time comes. smile

-Jason

I would be tempted to add it too -- and when I read through the piece (I've never worked on it), I usually do.

BTW....it's my impression (although I might be imagining it) that Horowitz played the octave.

Originally Posted by Kreisler
....."because that's what it says in the score" is a terrible reason to do something....

Hey Kreisler!!! Are you becoming a radical on us? ha

I agree completely with the statement but not even I would have put it quite so boldly. smile

I love it though! thumb

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

Why wouldn't it be okay?

I've never understood why people feel the goal of classical performance is simply to reproduce at the keyboard the exact details of the written score. At the very least, pianists should experiment a bit, trying different things here and there to see if they can gain some insight into the composer's thinking.

I'm not saying that it WOULDN'T be OK, but, if you're going to do something then have a concrete reason for doing what you do and not because somewhere along the way you HEARD that a composer felt, or thought a certain way...i.e. do the homework.
That said, I've never understood why there's such a backlash AGAINST adhering to what's already written out for you. Personally (and I'm not point any fingers) I feel it's because it's next to impossible to realise every single jot and tittle and also because we're all simply too lazy to do the work. What's needed to breathe life into ALMOST any work is contained right there in the score. Experimentation is fine, but too often many take it too far and it's no longer Chopin (or whomever), but the pianist's work. I'd love to have a dime for every time I've asked a student why they're doing something which is contrary to what the score calls for and the answer is (9 times out of 10) "I like it this/that way", or, "it sounds better". My answer..."Oh, so you don't really care for Chopin?" "Oh I LOVE Chopin!" "Ah, but you're the better composer, yes?" My point...KNOW WHY you're doing what you're doing and WHAT allows you the freedom to roam. I don't want answers like "Chopin is dead", or "I heard Horowitz play it this way", etc.

♪ ≠ $

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C
....."because that's what it says in the score" is a terrible reason to do something....

Hey Kreisler!!! Are you becoming a radical on us? ha

I agree completely with the statement but not even I would have put it quite so boldly. smile

I love it though! thumb

And I DISagree completely.

♪ ≠ $

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
dup.

Last edited by Andromaque; 10/31/10 05:34 PM.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

Why wouldn't it be okay?

I'm not saying that it WOULDN'T be OK, but, if you're going to do something then have a concrete reason for doing what you do and not because somewhere along the way you HEARD that a composer felt, or thought a certain way...i.e. do the homework.

So what would you consider to be a good reason to deviate from the score. Let us say, specifically in the case of Chopin. And even more specifically, the particular measure being discussed here?

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
I've never understood why there's such a backlash AGAINST adhering to what's already written out for you.
I don't think it's a backlash. I think the idea of very precisely and exclusively following the score is an (often inappropriate) ultra-modern anomaly.

(I'm a piano teacher.)
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Andromaque

Why wouldn't it be okay?

So what would you consider to be a good reason to deviate from the score. Let us say, specifically in the case of Chopin. And even more specifically, the particular measure being discussed here?

There's not. Unless you're able to scour a manuscript or have access to a first edition in the case of a lost manuscript and you find something differing from what you've got in say your Henle then there is no reason. That said, I do believe there's more room to explore with Chopin specifically. He didn't ever seem to be entirely sure just how exactly he wanted some things represented and seemed to be forever altering things himself.

♪ ≠ $

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by david_a
I've never understood why there's such a backlash AGAINST adhering to what's already written out for you.
I don't think it's a backlash. I think the idea of very precisely and exclusively following the score is an (often inappropriate) ultra-modern anomaly.

How, exactly, would you define "ultra-modern"?

♪ ≠ $

This is mostly to the OP - I've never played this nocturne, but I listened to it on Youtube, printed out the exerpt you gave, and played it, and I completely agree with you. Not only is it mechanically intuitive to play the low C# where you specified, but it sounds better to my ear than not adding that octave - it makes the bass line sound more smoothly melodic, which adds to this passage. Screw what the purists say.

I had a hunch that's what you thought, and on that we're in complete agreement. I think far too many people (including some very accomplished pianists) skip the homework.

I also agree that "I like it this way" is usually a terrible excuse, and it's usually code for "I can't" or "I am too lazy to play it as indicated."

And of course, the real issue here isn't that Chopin said so, the real issue is that Chopin probably said so for a reason. Once someone has explored those possible reasons, then they can start to decide if those reasons fit them, their audience, their capabilities, their instrument, and whatever artistic idea they may be aiming for.

www.pianoped.com
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

I had a hunch that's what you thought, and on that we're in complete agreement. I think far too many people (including some very accomplished pianists) skip the homework.

I also agree that "I like it this way" is usually a terrible excuse, and it's usually code for "I can't" or "I am too lazy to play it as indicated."

And of course, the real issue here isn't that Chopin said so, the real issue is that Chopin probably said so for a reason. Once someone has explored those possible reasons, then they can start to decide if those reasons fit them, their audience, their capabilities, their instrument, and whatever artistic idea they may be aiming for.

Exactly. Agreed.

♪ ≠ $

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

hmm.. That sounds far less mutinous than your previous "why not" response!!!!

Online Content
Would one's decision about playing the C# as an octave depend in part on whether one considered that note the end of the long octave phrase or the beginning of the eighth note accompaniment?

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D

How, exactly, would you define "ultra-modern"?
I would refrain from defining it exactly. I would hazard a guess that composers and performers all the way from the first example of a written score to approximately the middle of the nineteenth century, later in some cases, would have found slavish adherence to every last detail of a printed score, along with scrupulous avoidance of adding any other details, a foreign concept that had not even crossed their minds. There is ample evidence that performers in the nineteenth century changed what was in the score - sometimes conservatively, other times freely - as a matter of course.

Taken to its logical conclusion, adherence to the score forbids making subtle dynamic variations where they are not printed, eliminates the possibility of agogic accents, erases tempo fluctuations, removes any hint of dynamic contrast between melody and accompaniment, flattens all distinctive articulations of a musical line, and so on. If one admits that performers must be free to add those things, while also following dynamic markings and other items that are printed, where does the sanctity of the notes in particular (as opposed to all the other markings in the score) come from?

(I'm a piano teacher.)
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Would one's decision about playing the C# as an octave depend in part on whether one considered that note the end of the long octave phrase or the beginning of the eighth note accompaniment?
It's kind of both, isn't it? I agree with your question. smile

(I'm a piano teacher.)
Online Content
Taken to its logical conclusion, adherence to the score forbids making subtle dynamic variations where they are not printed, eliminates the possibility of agogic accents, erases tempo fluctuations, removes any hint of dynamic contrast between melody and accompaniment, flattens all distinctive articulations of a musical line, and so on.
I don't think adhrence to the score means this. It would be imposssile for a composer to write down every subtle variation that you mention. Nor do I think they'd want to. I think composers assume a skilled performer will make these subtle variations you mention as part of their interpretation. For example, I heard a great master class giver say "If the score is marked mf, this means play the melody f and the accompaniment mp".

Last edited by pianoloverus; 10/31/10 06:58 PM.
J
J
Originally Posted by Mati
According to Jan Ekier's National Edition, an appogiatura C# is added in the Jane Stirling copy. They decided to put it also in the main text, with the source commentary saying it is a natural and fitting continuation of the octaves before.

My edition: Salabert (Cortot) also has the appogiature. To me there's no question at all. I'd played the lower c# because GOD said to do it that way.

Jose
Kawai K5 - Kawai CA61
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JGonzalezGUS
To me there's no question at all. I'd played the lower c# because GOD said to do it that way.

He talks to you, does he? I've never labored under that convenience. smile

-J

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
'I like it this way' is a perfectly legitimate reason to deviate from a score.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

Is it? On what foundation do you base this (other than one that deems YOU the authority)?

♪ ≠ $

J
J

Is it? On what foundation do you base this (other than one that deems YOU the authority)?

100% agree. 'I like it this way' is never a good reason just by itself.
All the masterclasses I've been to when the artist gets this answer there's always a rebuke and the advise to always look for the artistic reason why 'you like it' this way.

Jose
Kawai K5 - Kawai CA61
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I am the authority over my own playing. Of course its best to know exactly why you like certain things and why you don't but the simple fact that you like something is for me reason enough to play it that way, at least sometimes. I am passionately against unquestioning authenticity.

On what foundation do you base the opposite view?

Neither you nor he has a "foundation" that the other would accept.

And then there's people like me ha (and actually I'd guess him too), who feel that asking for a "foundation" on this doesn't make too much sense -- unless you consider 'musical knowledge, taste, and judgment' to be a foundation.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Exactly. These are entirely subjective opinions so to demand an objective foundation on which they're based is ridiculous. My problem with the opposing point of view is that it's so often preached dogmatically. I'm not trying to dictate how anyone else should behave, I'm just saying how I view things.

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Blech. My intention in starting this thread wasn't to drudge up another round of the "faithful to the score" vs. "play it how I want to" argument in the abstract. I was just interested in what decisions folks have made about this piece specifically. Which I got some idea (thanks).

On the other hand, this argument might be a little more interesting with specific examples. For example:

1. In Schiff's recording of the Goldberg Variations, in one of the variations, he takes the repeats an octave higher, and in another variation, he takes the repeats an octave lower. What do you think of this change? Is this a valid thing to do?

2. When I heard Barenboim play and conduct the Brahms concerti, he added final piano chords at the very end of the last movement of the first concerto. (In the score the piano is silent for the last 10 seconds.) Is this valid, or disrespectful to the score?

What other kinds of changes have you guys made, debrucey for instance? I think this might be more interesting, and more illuminating, than making and challenging each other over absolute statements.

-Jason

Only if you're playing for yourself. Audiences, especially educated ones, will invariably have an opinion, too. And if you play with others, you need to take into account their opinions as well. You may like the end of the Franck sonata fortissimo, but if you're playing with a flutist, the audience will (correctly) fault you for burying the poor soloist.

As a teacher, I expect students to be somewhat flexible. I'm happy when my students come up with interesting ideas of their own because they "like it that way," but I also want them to have some flexibility in terms of technique and musicianship.

Put another way:

i can punctuate and spel like this "becuz i like it; but i run the risk of peoples not taking me serious adn misunderstanding what i say. nor am i growing as a writer and a communicater (unles im doing this on purpose like at the end of flwrs 4 algernon or some of cory doctorow's writings

www.pianoped.com
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I find the phrase itself 'disrespectful to the score' utterly bizarre. In what way are scores or even works for that matter things that demand 'respect'?

Anyway, hehe. I've made a lot of changes to early Beethoven pieces where I think its pretty obvious that he was limited by the smaller range of contemporary pianos. There are many places in the first movement of Op.10 No.3 for example. I am always fiddling about with my ornamentation in Bach pieces, this can occasionally even include adding appoggiaturas or passing notes. Some weeks I will prefer something a little faster, some a little slower. Especially with something like Bach which works so well in many different speeds. In more romantic things I from time to time experiment with altering the dynamics or the speed. I occasionally flesh out chords (or de-flesh them out, whatever the word for that is), this can depend on the piano I'm playing on, whether I think it sounds better or even just to make it more comfortable. I can't think off hand of any really drastic changes that I've made. The point is that my interpretations are always in flux. Also 99% of my playing is for myself. I play for audiences occasionally but its not my career and if they don't like what I've done with a piece that's their problem. I probably wouldn't take such a risky approach with an exam recital though. And I would certainly never be stupid enough to bury a flautist under fortissimo when that is not the desired effect.

Last edited by debrucey; 10/31/10 08:40 PM.
....In Schiff's recording of the Goldberg Variations, in one of the variations, he takes the repeats an octave higher, and in another variation, he takes the repeats an octave lower. What do you think of this change? Is this a valid thing to do?

Why not? It was written for a keyboard with multiple manuals. Pianos don't have multiple manuals, but they have (among other things) different octaves.
As do keyboards with multiple manuals, but that's beside the point. smile

....When I heard Barenboim play and conduct the Brahms concerti, he added final piano chords at the very end of the last movement of the first concerto. (In the score the piano is silent for the last 10 seconds.) Is this valid, or disrespectful to the score?

I thought you were complaining about going beyond the one piece you had mentioned. ha

But seriously folks.... smile .....do you not realize that in the Classical period, it was customary for the piano to often play together with the orchestra for the final tutti?

I did exactly the same thing for the end of the last mvt of the Emperor Concerto when I performed it. Nobody thought it was enough of an issue to even mention it, including a number of pretty persnickety people including the conductor, my teacher, and numerous piano colleagues, none of whom ever hesitate to kick my musical butt over all manner of whatever. smile

....first movement of Op.10 No.3....

Do you go ahead and play those high notes that Beethoven avoided (with wonderfully contrived variants) mainly (presumably) because pianos at the time didn't have those notes?

i.e. 1:28 on here (not to mention the high F# at 0:19):

BTW: I would play the high F#, as does Horowitz here, but wouldn't go further up at 1:28, as Horowitz doesn't either.

Because my "taste and judgment" tell me that there are other reasons to play it as written, besides Beethoven's piano not having those notes.

P.S. Please someone tell me if I'm wrong that his piano of that time lacked those high notes.....

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
They did lack them, and Op.10 No.3 is a good example of somewhere beethoven's creativity was particularly restricted by the fact. I also don't go up further at 1:28 though.

They did lack them, and Op.10 No.3 is a good example of somewhere beethoven's creativity was particularly restricted by the fact. I also don't go up further at 1:28 though.

The main reason I wouldn't is that it lets it be more dramatic when it does go all the way up in the recap.

But not much because "that's what the score says." smile
Although if the score didn't say that, it never would have occurred to me to do this other thing.

I find the phrase itself 'disrespectful to the score' utterly bizarre. In what way are scores or even works for that matter things that demand 'respect'?

In the way that they represent an enormous amount of time and devotion by the composers, editors, and engravers who have made this amazing music available to us.

www.pianoped.com
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Blech. My intention in starting this thread wasn't to drudge up another round of the "faithful to the score" vs. "play it how I want to" argument in the abstract. I was just interested in what decisions folks have made about this piece specifically. Which I got some idea (thanks).

LMAO at your comment above, Jason! grin

Just putting in my two cents about your original question to underscore what some have said about basing your decision partly on what your particular instrument would have you do (probably an obvious point to pianists who listen carefully to what they are doing when they play, but each instrument is so different that sometimes changes are needed to suit the interpretation you are after given the piano's peculiarities) PLUS agreeing with your intuition about the soft touch with which you would play the lower note in question! smile You've already done the scholarship. Time to play! laugh

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
A
A
I appreciate the deliberation and concern regarding adding one note which is an octave, or a duplicate note, to the score if it is done with taste. But does playing the repeat on 8 higher, for example, do anything to improve the scope or aesthetic value to the score?

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by antony
I appreciate the deliberation and concern regarding adding one note which is an octave, or a duplicate note, to the score if it is done with taste. But does playing the repeat on 8 higher, for example, do anything to improve the scope or aesthetic value to the score?

antony: It did. I can't generally recommend transposing pieces at the octave, even Bach. But when Schiff plays Goldberg Variation #7 an octave higher on the repeats (for both the A and B sections, so it goes A normal-- A 8va-- B normal-- B 8va)-- it just works beautifully. It wouldn't have worked for any variation. But it works for #7. And that's the only variation he transposes up. (He transposes another of the variations down an octave, and leaves the rest of them alone.)

If I ever meet Andras Schiff, I'm going to ask him about how he made this decision, not just for a concert, but for his recording.

-Jason

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Taken to its logical conclusion, adherence to the score forbids making subtle dynamic variations where they are not printed, eliminates the possibility of agogic accents, erases tempo fluctuations, removes any hint of dynamic contrast between melody and accompaniment, flattens all distinctive articulations of a musical line, and so on.
For example, I heard a great master class giver say "If the score is marked mf, this means play the melody f and the accompaniment mp".
Of course. That is quite clear to any experienced player. But it's not printed - the player supplies it.

I think composers assume a skilled performer will make these subtle variations you mention as part of their interpretation.
I believe that nearly any composer from before (roughly) 1900 would have said the same thing, but he would have meant "interpretation" to include "subtle variations" on the notes he wrote as well as supplying dynamic and ruythmic modifications. Of course that is not provable because those old fellows don't talk much nowadays.

(I'm a piano teacher.)
.....how he made this decision....

I doubt there's much mystery about it. Transposing up an octave is a not-uncommon way of dealing with material that was written for instruments with multiple manuals -- like, in this case, when playing a repeat, or in other cases, where the execution as-written is extremely difficult on a single keyboard. (For example, a common score of Couperin's Le Tic Toc Choc suggests an octave-transposition for the latter reason.)

It's also common (as you probably know) for playing repeats in ragtime; I imagine this arose from this practice with earlier music.

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D

In the way that they represent an enormous amount of time and devotion by the composers, editors, and engravers who have made this amazing music available to us.
I have heard it pointed out (more than once) that we as performers often give more time and more study to a score than the composer does. SOME performers believe that gives them the right to correct the composer's mistakes, or to improve the piece by adding or subtracting. Yet we must draw the line somewhere. I don't know where the line is, but I am convinced that "never change anything, ever" goes against the way a lot of music is written - that the line of performer freedom should be drawn somewhere above zero.

(I'm a piano teacher.)
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
My ABRSM score does not show the octave ... however ...

The octave would appear to be a perfectly logical close to the growly downward flow of the 83rd measure.

Having just played through this passage to the 9-1 Chopin Nocturne ... what came out in the wash by including the octave was ...

The RH quite naturally takes up the first rhythmic pulse to m84 bass clef ... which gives the LH an easy entry to second pulse to m84 ... and continuing from m 85 onward ...
bringing in the winsome RH Theme at m86.

What a pity ... that Chopin is dead.

....What other kinds of changes have you guys made.....

OK, here's another one. smile

Schubert, "little" Sonata in A major (D. 664), last mvt.
I so much want to broaden to a rest/fermata at 1:52 (none is indicated in the score):

Interestingly, Richter does that on the immediately-prior appearance of the similar phrase (1:42), although just slightly; but not at all in the latter place, where I feel that the music screams for it. (He does it all similarly in the recap.)

I almost always do it when 'just playing' and in recitals, but probably wouldn't at auditions or competitions. Hypocrisy, chicken, or realism? smile

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Mark--

That video is the first movement. If you don't give us bar numbers you've got to get the video right! smile

-J

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W

I respect scores for what they are. But that is a separate issue from how I make music (or rather, I would make music if I had the technique to do the things that cross my mind). For example, I might want to improvise all sorts of extra notes when playing a Chopin nocturne, and, guess what, if I did, the score has not been harmed in any way. It is still there, just as it was. And everyone else's copy of it is still in whatever condition it was before I did my "disrespecting".

....That video is the first movement....

Are you sure??
When I click it, it is indeed what I said.....

A
A
Why don't you compose your own music and leave Chopin's alone, were you to do that...

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Mark-

[sorry for the video confusion-- my fault-- I know what happened]

I sympathize with your feeling the pause there; I've always put a slight one in whenever I've read through the movement. I hear it the way Richter plays it at 1:42, which is much slighter than what would have been called for if Schubert had written a fermata. So I like the slight pause, but I'm glad the score is the way it is.

In my Hierarchy of Score Violence, changing notes and adding notes is at the very top; leaving out notes is a little lower; changing dynamics is much lower. Adding pauses is pretty close to the bottom.... and adding very slight pauses isn't even in the Hierarchy. smile

-Jason

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W

1. In Schiff's recording of the Goldberg Variations, in one of the variations, he takes the repeats an octave higher, and in another variation, he takes the repeats an octave lower. What do you think of this change? Is this a valid thing to do?

He did it, therefore it is valid. For him, the performer. And for any listener that finds it okay.

On the other hand, it could be argued that playing that work on the piano is already so far from any sonic reality that Bach could possibly have imagined that it hardly matters what he does to it.

I imagine that Schiff was thinking of alluding to the effect of using the octave doubling stops that are available on some harpsichords.

2. When I heard Barenboim play and conduct the Brahms concerti, he added final piano chords at the very end of the last movement of the first concerto. (In the score the piano is silent for the last 10 seconds.) Is this valid, or disrespectful to the score?

Just like the Schiff example, it's valid for the performer who does it, and anyone listening who agrees with it, and it isn't for those who object. I personally don't care a whole lot either way. It is kind of tautological, I think. A person who is literal-minded that a performance is supposed to exactly "represent" the contents of a score aurally would hate it, and a person who thinks a performance should follow its own truth as the performer sees it, while still being based on the score, would probably find no issue with it.

Since Halloween is still kind of in the air, I'll say that to my way of thinking, the more restrictive view sees the performer as some sort of dead-composer-controlled-from-the-grave zombie, and the looser, living-performer-driven concept seems much more life-affirming. But that's just me...

Last edited by wr; 11/01/10 03:24 AM.
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Why don't you compose your own music and leave Chopin's alone, were you to do that...

Because collaborating with Chopin's score is an interesting thing to do in its own right.

.....In my Hierarchy of Score Violence, changing notes and adding notes is at the very top; leaving out notes is a little lower; changing dynamics is much lower. Adding pauses is pretty close to the bottom.... and adding very slight pauses isn't even in the Hierarchy. smile

Not a bad hierarchy.
I'll keep it all in mind on the Schubert. smile

BTW.....you didn't necessarily say where adding 'grand' pauses would fit in.
I think I know. ha

Originally Posted by wr
....I imagine that Schiff was thinking of alluding to the effect of using the octave doubling stops that are available on some harpsichords.....

Yes -- that's an additional aspect besides what you can get from additional manuals, and maybe more relevant to the current example.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Because Chopin's has already been composed ;-). Wr has it spot on. I could play a piece double speed and with a swing rhythm, all forte and whatever someone might think of what I've done musically, the score is still intact and will always be. I haven't ruined or 'disrespected' the piece because the piece doesn't exist in my interpretation.

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Mark-

I sympathize with your feeling the pause there; I've always put a slight one in whenever I've read through the movement. I hear it the way Richter plays it at 1:42, which is much slighter than what would have been called for if Schubert had written a fermata. So I like the slight pause, but I'm glad the score is the way it is.

In my Hierarchy of Score Violence, changing notes and adding notes is at the very top; leaving out notes is a little lower; changing dynamics is much lower.
It's pretty easy to poke holes in the hierarchy though - for example, compare adding the octave C sharp with leaving out the first note of the piece. Or, for that matter, keeping every note as printed but choosing to play all the B's fortissimo throughout. smile

(I'm a piano teacher.)
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Mark-

In my Hierarchy of Score Violence, changing notes and adding notes is at the very top; leaving out notes is a little lower; changing dynamics is much lower.
It's pretty easy to poke holes in the hierarchy though - for example, compare adding the octave C sharp with leaving out the first note of the piece. Or, for that matter, keeping every note as printed but choosing to play all the B's fortissimo throughout. smile

You make the mistake in assuming that the changes people make are arbitrary.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
david a: which is precisely why the teaching copy has the appoggiatura C#. It completes the con forza passage and leads up to the accompaniment.
I'm amazed at how much heat is generated by "stick to the score, no, use your own musical intelligence" discussion on this subject as Chopin clearly thought of and published different notations for this passage.
It's more a question of "which Chopin variant do I prefer" rather than "how do I wnat to notate this passage".

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
[...]I almost always do it when 'just playing' and in recitals, but probably wouldn't at auditions or competitions. Hypocrisy, chicken, or realism? smile

Chicken. Maybe some hypocrisy. Yes, a healthy dose of realism, situationally. But on my Hierarchy of Musical Convictional Integrity, it's "chicken."

laugh

Sorry, Mark. I had to. wink

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
On the "faithful to the score" vs. "do what I like" argument, I realized this morning I feel the following way:

Rather than phrase the question in terms of fidelity to the score (which is an inanimate object), instead we should ask: Would the composer, if he were alive today, approve of the changes I'm proposing? Would Bach approve of playing his work on a modern piano? (Yes.) Would Debussy approve of my adding an extra octave to a low note? (Probably not.) Would Chopin approve my adding the octave in the C# nocturne? (I think so.)

In other words, it's not fidelity to the score; it's fidelity to the composer.

Of course, this isn't resolving the argument; it's just shifting it to a different question. But I think that at least it's the right question to be arguing about.

-Jason

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
It probably makes more sense than fidelity to the score, but I still find it baffling. The composers are usually dead, so they couldn't give a damn if they wanted to. And even when they're not dead they're usually not watching over your shoulder either, so why shouldn't you do what you want?

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
It probably makes more sense than fidelity to the score, but I still find it baffling. The composers are usually dead, so they couldn't give a damn if they wanted to. And even when they're not dead they're usually not watching over your shoulder either, so why shouldn't you do what you want?

It sounds like we're just going to disagree on this, and that's fine. Whether the composers are around to care what I do (and I agree that they're generally not) has nothing to do with my desire to honor their intent. I'm at a loss to explain where this desire really comes from. This gets very quickly into "what is art for", and god forbid we try to hash that out here. smile But I do know that if any of the paltry scraps I've written survive 200 years, and are subsequently played (as historical oddities), I hope that the players honor my original intent, however they divine and interpret it.

-Jason

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I truly believe that Mendelssohn is waiting in the afterlife for everybody who dared touching one of the big composer's masterpieces, and is going to kick their ass. Just a heads up!

Currently working on: Perfecting the Op 2/1, studying the 27/2 last movement. Chopin Nocturne 32/2 and Posth. C#m, 'Raindrop' prelude and Etude 10/9
Repetoire: Beethoven op 2/1, 10/1(1st, 2nd), 13, 14/1, 27/1(1st, 2nd), 27/2, 28(1st, 2nd), 31/2(1st, 3rd), 49/1, 49/2, 78(1st), 79, 90, 101(1st)
Originally Posted by sandalholme
....It's more a question of "which Chopin variant do I prefer" rather than "how do I what to notate this passage".

In this case, yes.....but more generally, for some of us at least, it's whether we'd do [whatever] even if there's no "Chopin variant."

This case, for various reasons, is obviously a very mild 'deviation' (if at all).

Originally Posted by Cinnamonbear
[...]I almost always do it when 'just playing' and in recitals, but probably wouldn't at auditions or competitions. Hypocrisy, chicken, or realism? smile
Chicken. Maybe some hypocrisy. Yes, a healthy dose of realism, situationally. But on my Hierarchy of Musical Convictional Integrity, it's "chicken."
laugh
Sorry, Mark. I had to. wink

And I don't disagree one iota. smile

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I must restate that I'm not saying its necessarily a good thing to do whatever you want to a score. Only that one shouldn't feel afraid to treat it liberally if for whatever reason one wants to. Authenticity is an incredibly interesting field, but its not a dogma.

....Rather than phrase the question in terms of fidelity to the score (which is an inanimate object), instead we should ask: Would the composer, if he were alive today, approve of the changes I'm proposing?....

In Chopin's case, we have an easier way to put it: Would he have approved of it in his time?
And I think we know (although some people could come up with quotes that they feel refute this) that the answer is: Yes, he would, provided that what we did was good.
(What is "good"? That's where knowledge, taste, and judgment come in -- and I don't think any of us would say it should be done without at least one or two of those things). ha

Would Bach approve of playing his work on a modern piano? (Yes.)

I don't see how you're resolving anything by giving an answer that many people would disagree with -- not to mention that many people would even disagree with the sense or value of asking that question.
(Don't get me wrong -- I agree with the question, and with your answer.) smile

Would Debussy approve of my adding an extra octave to a low note? (Probably not.)

Where do you get that? I'd bet he would -- provided (again) that it makes sense.
Maybe you're saying you don't think he'd ever think anything like that makes sense -- and I don't agree.

Would Chopin approve my adding the octave in the C# nocturne? (I think so.)

Again, it seems you're trying to make it simple but you aren't. My answer would be similar to yours, except (as per some other posts) that IMO it would depend on the piano and acoustics.
Plus, I would add, it would depend on what you do leading up to it and following it.

Another opinion. smile
IMO it's of some interest to wonder what the composer would think, but if his feeling would be "no, you can't do that," I wouldn't feel it means we can't. To me, the ultimate arbiter is our own knowledge, taste, and judgment.

Of course, this isn't resolving the argument....

+1 smile

....it's just shifting it to a different question. But I think that at least it's the right question to be arguing about.

That is no less subjective than anything else here.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

Now you're getting somewhere! How more fully are we able to be faithful to the composer than through what he/she has left us?

♪ ≠ $

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

Why? It's not your composition(s) and the composer isn't around to ask how such and such should/shouldn't be. Do you know more about the composer's music than the composer? I absolutely hate that statement that, "oh well, the composer is dead...I'll do what I want." If that's how you feel then why do you bother to play dead composer's music?

♪ ≠ $

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
although Chopin had the low C-sharp on his instrument, he deliberately didn't write it down, but he emphasized the single, not so low, C-sharp with the accent Fz, so it must have been his intention to do exactly what he wrote, it's not for us to improve on his notes, just to play them as beautifully as we can. No octave then, maybe the impression of one..

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Why? It's not your composition(s) and the composer isn't around to ask how such and such should/shouldn't be. Do you know more about the composer's music than the composer? I absolutely hate that statement that, "oh well, the composer is dead...I'll do what I want." If that's how you feel then why do you bother to play dead composer's music?

You really don't seem to be understanding my point. I'm not saying that it should be encouraged to change things, nor would it probably be in good taste. What I'm saying is the idea that it is our moral duty to stay true to what a composer has written is ridiculous. It's got nothing to do with knowing more than the composer (what does that even mean with regards to a piece of music?). If I am playing the piano for my own enjoyment (and if that isn't the primary reason you have for playing the piano then you probably shouldn't be playing it) then I can press whatever keys I like at whatever time I like. This can either be in exactly the way I feel like at the time, exactly the way the composer has described on a score or anything in between. I'm not talking about playing things in a public concert here, I'm talking about playing the piano recreationally. The idea that we are morally bound by the speculated wishes of someone long dead (or just absent from the room) when playing an instrument for fun is just ludicrous. This might not make you a very good musician, but thats not the point. The point is we have no moral duty to preserve a work of art that exists abstractly.

A
A
I agree. That note on the piano existed at the time, if he wanted it there he would've put it in the score; unless there is verifiable evidence of a score in Chopin's hand that has it and for some reason an engraver along the way left it out and we somehow inherited this version.

Chopin was the most fastidious of all the composers and he always knew exactly what he wanted, it is inherently evident in his music.

To say "he's dead", and "I can do what I want, it doesn't actually change it" etc. is cavalier and juvenile.

Is there not enough to do, as the scores already are?! As I said, go ahead and write your own stuff.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Aaaaargh, I give up. Another blow for reasoned argument.

Last edited by debrucey; 11/01/10 07:05 PM.
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
don't be discouraged to do just what you want, hey, Chopin was a Catholic, wasn't he?

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
The idea that we are morally bound by the speculated wishes of someone long dead (or just absent from the room) when playing an instrument for fun is just ludicrous.

It's not ludicrous to me (if you change "morally bound" to "artistically bound"). In fact, it's an important part of what I'm trying to do at the piano. As I said, we disagree.

-J

A
A
What do you possibly think you are saying that is so "reasoned" that I am not getting. What you are talking about is b.s. dadaism, painting a mustache on the Mona Lisa. If it's all for yourself anyway, why must you make a point of it in public?

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

You really don't seem to be understanding my point. I'm not saying that it should be encouraged to change things, nor would it probably be in good taste. What I'm saying is the idea that it is our moral duty to stay true to what a composer has written is ridiculous. It's got nothing to do with knowing more than the composer (what does that even mean with regards to a piece of music?). If I am playing the piano for my own enjoyment (and if that isn't the primary reason you have for playing the piano then you probably shouldn't be playing it) then I can press whatever keys I like at whatever time I like. This can either be in exactly the way I feel like at the time, exactly the way the composer has described on a score or anything in between. I'm not talking about playing things in a public concert here, I'm talking about playing the piano recreationally. The idea that we are morally bound by the speculated wishes of someone long dead (or just absent from the room) when playing an instrument for fun is just ludicrous. This might not make you a very good musician, but thats not the point. The point is we have no moral duty to preserve a work of art that exists abstractly.

I do understand your point and then, apparently, partly I didn't, because I wasn't aware that you're just poking around for the fun of it. If you're just sitting at home having a good time with things then do whatever the heck you want to do, but then you can hardly weigh in on such a matter, if that's the case. For those of us who make our living playing, teaching, etc. it's another thing altogether and yes, we ARE morally bound, because what we present publicly is representative of Bach, Beethoven, Chopin, etc. When I'm only minutes from concert time my nervousness is not due to notes, phrasing, articulation, etc., but due to the fact that I'm speaking for Beethoven (for example). Of course some will turn to the whole "idea" of interpretation, which I don't really believe in...for me it's realisation rather than, but we DO have an obligation no matter which term you use. It's NOT our music to do with as we please. It is the music of those with far greater musical intellect, skill, ability, etc. than any of us and they've taken the time to leave us, in many cases, very implicit direction about how things should be done and we owe it to them to listen to and do our best to achieve their intent.
At any rate, have fun doing things your way.

Last edited by stores; 11/01/10 08:13 PM.

♪ ≠ $

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
But I do know that if any of the paltry scraps I've written survive 200 years, and are subsequently played (as historical oddities), I hope that the players honor my original intent, however they divine and interpret it.

You may hope that, but do you have any real reason to expect it? I think it is just a bit over-optimistic for composers to have fantasies along those lines. It is a simple fact that once your music is published and out in the world, you have little control over what performers may do with it (unless you place restrictions on who is allowed to perform it, which rarely happens unless it is a commissioned work with exclusive performing rights, and typically even those will expire eventually).

It is a valid speculation to imagine that if Chopin could hear how people were playing of his music during this anniversary year, he would absolutely loathe most or even all of it, even though most of the performers probably think they are honoring his "intentions", since that is the mantra of our era (but, in fact, most don't pay attention to his metronome markings in those nocturnes that have them, which is one indication of how far from his thoughts current performance of his music may be).

A composer can control what goes into the score, but not the performer who then uses that score as a basis from which to make music. The only realistic way around that is for the composer to also be the sole performer and to never publish the score. Or to write electronic music which only exists as a recording.

Regarding the existence of the low c# on Chopin's instrument.

Yes, the low c# did exist.

But to say it had the same sound as the low c# on a modern Steinway would be quite a stretch.

Chopin was keenly aware of the piano's tone, and one must be open to the possibility that he may have made a different choice were he writing for a modern grand. And yes, it would be fairly audacious to guess at what he might do, but I do believe the thought is worth entertaining. It would be interesting to try the octave c# out on a period instrument and a modern instrument to see what the difference would sound like in context.

www.pianoped.com
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Personally, I trust the National Edition so much that if they recommend it, I'll just play it, especially when you agree with it.

I think many people are being too defensive... it's one thing when people take a Chopin or Beethoven and start adding random notes, but totally different issue when it's so well thought out.

One thing is that music keeps evolving. The notes might be the same, but because of changing cultures and backgrounds, what people heard 170 years ago and today are totally different. Who can possibly know what is the "right" thing to do? While it is probably respectful if you don't touch Chopin's composition, you are free to interpret it as you see fit.

Obviously, many people here would be disappointed, even offended, if you add a note, but at the end of the day, it's your interpretation. In a competition, you might want to think again, but if it's just a performance, go ahead.

ps. that's one probably i have with the "traditional" school of interpreting mozart. it's been 250 years--things have changed too much. whatever you're playing cannot possibly "sound like mozart"--it only sounds like mozart to us. mozart would probably be like, "i wrote THAT?"

Last edited by Lingyis; 11/02/10 01:46 AM.
Originally Posted by Lingyis
....One thing is that music keeps evolving....

....and IMO, ironically, when people 'deviate' from Chopin's score, provided they do it tastefully they are evolving back to how it was done at the original time.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
What do you possibly think you are saying that is so "reasoned" that I am not getting. What you are talking about is b.s. dadaism, painting a mustache on the Mona Lisa. If it's all for yourself anyway, why must you make a point of it in public?

The Mona Lisa doesn't exist abstractly. There is only one, and if it's defaced its ruined forever. This is not true of music which makes it okay. You don't have to agree with what I'm saying. I have no problem that we disagree, but I resent being called juvenile for having an unorthodox opinion. If my opinion was juvenile I wouldn't be trying to argue it but stamping my fists yelling 'but I'm right!'. Instead I try to help people understand my point of view, even if they don't agree with it. Art isn't something one should be dogmatic about because it means different things to different people.

Last edited by debrucey; 11/02/10 02:44 AM.
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
How more fully are we able to be faithful to the composer than through what he/she has left us?
It would be eminently possible, if Chopin were alive, for him to say "Why on EARTH would you play it exactly the same way as I notated it on one particular Thursday when I had a terrible headache - that was more than a hundred years ago! You must be crazy! What are you afraid of?"

Of course we don't know what he might say. But it could just as easily be that as anything else...

(I'm a piano teacher.)
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D

Chopin was the most fastidious of all the composers and he always knew exactly what he wanted, it is inherently evident in his music.
Even when he wrote a piece, misplaced the score, and wrote it down again differently? Even when he sent the same piece differently to different publishers? smile

If it's inherently evident to you, then you're inherently wrong about that because there is extensive well-documented proof that Chopin DID NOT know what he wanted.

(I'm a piano teacher.)
....It would be eminently possible, if Chopin were alive, for him to say "Why on EARTH would you play it exactly the same way as I notated it on one particular Thursday when I had a terrible headache.....

I'm with you, but I think you're making it look in that post as if you're restricting things needlessly. You almost seem to be conceding most of the point by saying (sort of) that it would depend on Chopin not having been at his best when he 'notated' it.

Those in 'our' school of thought would usually say it goes way beyond that -- i.e. that Chopin allowed for different interpretations and concepts, that he himself played his pieces differently at different times, and that these things are a big part of why different manuscripts of the same piece often show different things.

And regarding the latter, there are differing opinions about what the different indications mean. Some feel that it means he "changed his mind" and therefore that the later versions are superior, if not definitive; others (like me) feel it usually means just that he had different ideas at different times -- and that he might well have had still other ideas at yet other times.

....there is extensive well-documented proof that Chopin DID NOT know what he wanted.

Again, while we're in the same 'camp' I would never put it how you did. I think he did know what he 'wanted' but that it wasn't rigid, precise, or constant.

Last edited by Mark_C; 11/02/10 03:10 AM.
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
My "mock Chopin monologue" was meant to be something he might say and was not something constructed to prove a point. But in any case you are right, Mark.

(I'm a piano teacher.)
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Though earlier liking the idea of an extra LH bass note to m84 (converting into an octave chord) ... the logic of Kriesler’s comment (being too loud) is now shared.

However, use of an extra note in the form of an “upward” appoggiatura (if there is such a thing ... essentially rolling an octave chord) appears to provide good flow.

I’ve added the bass note to my ABRSM score ,,, hope the big wigs don’t throw a cadenza.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dolce sfogato
although Chopin had the low C-sharp on his instrument, he deliberately didn't write it down, but he emphasized the single, not so low, C-sharp with the accent Fz, so it must have been his intention to do exactly what he wrote, it's not for us to improve on his notes, just to play them as beautifully as we can. No octave then, maybe the impression of one..

Thats my opinion too.

I would always play as written, unless you have a VERY good reason not too. If playing for an audience, be sure they understand that reason too (and hopefully agree with it). And always beware of Mendelssohn.

Currently working on: Perfecting the Op 2/1, studying the 27/2 last movement. Chopin Nocturne 32/2 and Posth. C#m, 'Raindrop' prelude and Etude 10/9
Repetoire: Beethoven op 2/1, 10/1(1st, 2nd), 13, 14/1, 27/1(1st, 2nd), 27/2, 28(1st, 2nd), 31/2(1st, 3rd), 49/1, 49/2, 78(1st), 79, 90, 101(1st)
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
How more fully are we able to be faithful to the composer than through what he/she has left us?
It would be eminently possible, if Chopin were alive, for him to say "Why on EARTH would you play it exactly the same way as I notated it on one particular Thursday when I had a terrible headache - that was more than a hundred years ago! You must be crazy! What are you afraid of?"

Of course we don't know what he might say. But it could just as easily be that as anything else...

But then, as you said, we don't know what he'd say, nor is he around to say it. As a result we have to go with what he's left us. What I find amusing is how so many seem to feel that Chopin, of all composers (and almost singularly so), would be so completely supportive of so many of the liberties that are taken with his music. Why is this? I think it's because we've all heard so much shmaltz and rubato all over the place and quite honestly bad playing from so many pianists over the years that everyone has this idea of Chopin as this soupy, sappy guy who would encourage experimenting in any way you'd like when, in fact, there's much contrary evidence in existence that ought to put these silly notions to rest once and for all.

♪ ≠ $

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

The most fastidious of all composers. Hmm, well...NO, he wasn't, nor did he always know exactly what he wanted. In fact there's considerable evidence that says the complete opposite. If anything, Chopin, DIDN'T seem to be able to make up his mind quite often and left us a great deal of confusion in many cases.

♪ ≠ $

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W

The Mona Lisa doesn't exist abstractly. There is only one, and if it's defaced its ruined forever. This is not true of music which makes it okay. You don't have to agree with what I'm saying. I have no problem that we disagree, but I resent being called juvenile for having an unorthodox opinion. If my opinion was juvenile I wouldn't be trying to argue it but stamping my fists yelling 'but I'm right!'. Instead I try to help people understand my point of view, even if they don't agree with it. Art isn't something one should be dogmatic about because it means different things to different people.

The "mustache on Mona Lisa" thing is a reference to Duchamp's putting a mustache (and a little goatee, which many people don't remember (or may have never seen in the first place)) on a postcard reproduction of the Mona Lisa, and giving it a somewhat raunchy title.

It is a total misunderstanding of both Dada and this discussion, to make a connection between that and what is being discussed here, IMO.

Last edited by wr; 11/02/10 05:00 AM.
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
I wonder sometimes whether, or how, people read these posts. Re the "C#" question. I have already posted twice on Chopin's known views on this C#. Another go. Let me quote:
"bar 84 l.h.: the first editions have the first quaver only as C sharp. In FE (JS) [ie French first edition, teaching copy] Chopin added the appoggiatura C sharp which provides a consistent ending to the octave recitative"

and
"FE (JS) Teaching copy. It contains minor additions, interpretation marks and fingerings"

Both quotes from the Wiener Urtext edition.

The lower C sharp is not contentious. You can play it or leave it out, depending upon which frame of Chopin's mind agrees with your taste and the sound of your piano. You are not re-inventing or imposing your will on a composer who tragically died all too early.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W

Not to mention that there are a couple of interesting reports in which his own playing diverged from his own notation so drastically that listeners heard it as being in a different meter than what he had written, and they could literally count out a different number of beats to his playing than what he had written (i.e., four in a bar when he had notated three).

But of course, composers can and do change their minds about their own pieces all the time. The whole "it is chiseled in stone" attitude is often not even held by the person who wrote the music. Even more interesting, they may not care enough to even recognize their own music or think it is any good - like Beethoven and his reaction to his own c minor variations. If Beethoven himself didn't remember writing the piece and made a disparaging remark about it, I guess the only true reflection of "composer's intent" on the part of a performer would be to forget about it and think it was bad music, also. Performing it would be out of the question. And by the way, that is not the only story I've heard of composers forgetting their own compositions, which tells me that at least in some cases, there can be a pretty extreme disconnect between the importance the composer places on the score, and how the "true-to-the-score" performers see it.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
It is indeed the case that a composition is a dynamic structure, especially in the hands of its author. It would be hard to imagine that a composer-performer, such as Chopin, would have performed his pieces "verbatim" every time he played them. In fact, he most likely introduced some variations to the score either in an impromptu fashion or in a more determined manner. I can easily imagine him making some modifications in the course of teaching any of his pieces, if for instance the student's particular ability or anatomy called for it.

So the question is should such dynamism be acceptable for any perfomer in a FORMAL setting? Who gets to decide? the audience? the "academics"? It seems that the concern of the "true-to-the-score group is the old "slippery slope".. Traditionally, there have been no good solutions to the slippery slope arguments in any situation.. Rather small shifts in practice / tradition occur insidiously and eventually change is introduced. Alternatively the pendulum oscillates one way or (?then) the other depending on social, cultural or even economic norms..

Well informed dedicated performers always have an opinion but they modulate their expression of autonomy to suit the environment and the particular piece. I have heard Stephen Hough tell a student in a masterclass that it is OK to make changes to one of Liszt' s Hungarian rhapsodies, to enhance the feeling of a dance (I don't remember the change exactly; it could have been accents or pauses), but that it would not be OK to make any changes to the Liszt sonata. I imagine he would feel even more free to do so if he were playing the rhapsody as an encore or informally.

From the audience perspective, both ways work. I may be more interested in authenticity but if the pianist is already well established and apreciated, I can easily see (and have seen) him or her introduce some individual variance. I do not always like it, but others do.
But in a teaching / academic setting, the emphasis must be on respecting the score. Otherwise how are you to really understand the composer?
P.S. I may be biased by how I was / am being taught: very strict adherence to the score .

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Mati

Yes, and I think Chopin deserves props for this fine idea! It links the octaves to the return of the opening accompaniment and it provides the deep C sharp without it being overpowering, because the pedal and fz come on the higher C sharp. In my opinion, this simple example is a great advertisement for authentic nuggets found in good editions of Chopin. Chopin just schooled us, in the most charming possible way. (Or does anyone want to claim that they thought of a grace note for the lower C sharp by themselves?)

Regarding the side conversation about "respect for the composer/score", I don't see the way things were done in the 19th century as necessarily "better" or worth us emulating. The ego and the importance of the performer were generally much bigger in those days. Modern musiclovers (who are surely more knowledgeable and discerning than average 19th century audiences, on average) tend to agree that the music is more important than the performer. Yes, we don't want overly careful and objective performances, and yes, some of the spontaneity of the golden age musicians is great (though in my opinion it is sometimes great in spite of minor crimes being committed against the music, not because of them). Chopin was noted in his day for disliking the showboating/egotistical side of public performances, and was more of a quiet, humble poet, with the music coming first -- very modern for his day. There are credible anecdotes about him stretching the first beat of some of his mazurkas, adding ornaments to some nocturnes (which, like Field's, can be seen as a romantic offspring from Mozartian slow movements, so no surprise there), and sometimes playing a piece with very different nuances the second time compared to the first time, but I don't equate that with his adding and dropping notes whimsically throughout his works, with the setup being a grand excuse to declare, "Hey, if he did it, why shouldn't we?"

And of course, there is a huge universe of interpretive possibilities in Chopin and other composers without changing a single note. I find it quite mysterious and sad that anyone could find it "restrictive" or "boring" to play the written notes without changing them!

(Used to post as SlatterFan)
Online Content
If an artist wants to change his painting at any time he can, but should someone else do this just because the artist can?

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A painting is not the same as a piece of music. There is only one original Mona Lisa, and it exists in a gallery in France. Anyone who defaces it is depriving the world of the brilliance of the original. A piece of music exists abstractly, and in an indefinite number of copies. You can't deface it because you're only changing one instance of it. It makes no sense to compare paintings and music in this context.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Ok same argument, without the painting example for debrucey ;),

Just because the artist wasn't always 100% sure about his score, and made some changes, does that allow us to do the same?

Originally Posted by Victor25
Just because the artist wasn't always 100% sure about his score, and made some changes, does that allow us to do the same?
Obviously not, unless you are deep into their mind.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Well I believe it does, because you're not changing the score. You're changing the way that you realise the score. But every other copy of the score on the planet stays the same, so its not defacement its just reinterpretation. Who exactly is it who is DISallowing you?

Who exactly is it who is DISallowing you?
If you have respect for a composer's thought process, then yourself.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by keyboardklutz
Who exactly is it who is DISallowing you?
If you have respect for a composer's thought process, then yourself.

Why is that? It is entirely possible to have respect for whatever you have divined to be the composer's thought process, and still diverge from the score in your own performance. The score still remains intact and "respected".

Just because Dreyschock played the left hand part of Chopin's op. 10, no. 12 in octaves doesn't mean anything one way or the other about how he felt about Chopin's thought process. It just means he wanted to do something else with the etude than what Chopin wrote. It is no more complicated than that. The piece remains as it always was, and knowing what Dreyshock did with it doesn't damage it in any way.

Fine, as long as it's declared as an arrangement. Chopin the body may have ceased, Chopin the thoughts is still with us. His thoughts therefore he is!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Can't say I agree with that.

Ya don't have ta!

Online Content
A painting is not the same as a piece of music. There is only one original Mona Lisa, and it exists in a gallery in France. Anyone who defaces it is depriving the world of the brilliance of the original. A piece of music exists abstractly, and in an indefinite number of copies. You can't deface it because you're only changing one instance of it. It makes no sense to compare paintings and music in this context.
I don't think the number of copies is relevant. If Leonardo made 10 copies of the Mona Lisa should one be allowed to paint over one of them?

Also, just because a piece of music exists in the score, I don't think that means changing a note is any different from repainting the Mona Lisa. If a composer's music existed as a digital music file, would it be OK for someone other than the composer to digitally change it?

None of the above is meant to imply I'm strongly opposed to changing a score. But I do think there's a big difference between the composer doing it and anyone else doing it.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
If leonardo himself created 10 copies of the mona lisa then they are all originals. You can buy a poster of the mona lisa from a museum and scribble all over it if you want to but you wouldnt be debasing the original work of art. With a digital music file, many modern artists' music exists entirely as digital files, which therefore makes it impossible to debase 'the original'. The term itself doesn't even make sense when talking about digital files. All the digital copies are identical and as many as necessary can be made. The same is not true of paintings. No matter how many changes I or the artist or anyone else makes to a copy of a work of art, whether that copy is a poster, a digital file or a piece of sheet music, the work of art isn't debased, only its copies/realisations are changed. The distinction here is quite clear cut and I don't understand why you're having such a hard time grasping it.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
(...) You can buy a poster of the mona lisa from a museum and scribble all over it if you want to but you wouldnt be debasing the original work of art.

Indeed, but you would not be able to exhibit said poster at a museum and advertise it as Da Vinci's work. You would have to call it YOUR version of Leonardo's masterpiece. Ticket buyers and art critics may or not like the work but would not be too convinced if you claimed that Leonardo channeled himself through you or vice versa..even if you were a da Vinci scholar who spent 30 years studying his works and "getting to know his thoughts"

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
That doesn't affect my point. I'm talking about whether you are 'allowed' to change things, not whether you necessarily should.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by keyboardklutz
Fine, as long as it's declared as an arrangement. Chopin the body may have ceased, Chopin the thoughts is still with us. His thoughts therefore he is!

Everyone's performance is "an arrangement", regardless of how closely they stick to the score (or whatever edition of the score they use). There should be an understood hyphen-plus-performer-name placed after every composer name listed on a recital program.

Nobody reproduces Chopin's "thoughts". A score may be the result of his musical thinking, but it certainly isn't his actual thoughts (which from all accounts, were pretty mercurial). Although some people like to pretend that performance is the result of a sort of mind reading of the composer, it isn't. If it were, all good performances would sound exactly the same, since if they were authentically Chopin's "thoughts", they wouldn't vary depending on the performer.

Online Content
If leonardo himself created 10 copies of the mona lisa then they are all originals. You can buy a poster of the mona lisa from a museum and scribble all over it if you want to but you wouldnt be debasing the original work of art. With a digital music file, many modern artists' music exists entirely as digital files, which therefore makes it impossible to debase 'the original'. The term itself doesn't even make sense when talking about digital files. All the digital copies are identical and as many as necessary can be made. The same is not true of paintings. No matter how many changes I or the artist or anyone else makes to a copy of a work of art, whether that copy is a poster, a digital file or a piece of sheet music, the work of art isn't debased, only its copies/realisations are changed. The distinction here is quite clear cut and I don't understand why you're having such a hard time grasping it.
Well, of course, I could say the same about your reply. In your last sentence you assume you're correct.

You seemed to say that the number of copies had something to do with whether or not one should be allowed to make a change. My example of 10 Mona Lisa's was trying to show why that this was not the case. Or I could have said ..."imagine that everyone played a Chopin piece from the original manuscript. Would that mean that no changes should be allowed because there is only one?"

My use of the phrase "digital file" may have been incorrect since I know nothing about computers. My point was to distinguish it from score which you called abstact and felt that was a reason that it was different from a painting. By digital file I meant to imply something that could be played by pressing a button.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 11/03/10 09:17 PM.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Its nothing to do with the number of copies but the nature of the copies. 10 copies made by leonardo da vinci himself are different in nature to the millions of copies that are sold as posters and photos. This mentality is not applicable to music as music exists in a specific moment in time as it's being made or played back from a recording.

Besides, this doesn't really have a lot to do with my original point that you're perfectly within your rights to play a piece however you want, it just might not be artistically advisable to do so. I was reacting against the dogmatic view that there is some sort of fundamental law/morality that means you can't and must not change things. There's nothing stopping you other than yourself.

I don't assume I'm correct, I just think I am. If I didn't I wouldn't be arguing a point. I'm open to being convinced otherwise. ;-)

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
"4. It sounds really good."

That would be my main reason to play it that way.

I have also left out notes (in other pieces, I never played chopin) because it sounded better that way. Modern pianos are simply other instruments than the old ones and consider yourself lucky if you can (1) hear that it can be better (2) have an idea how to do it better.

I add to it that it may sound really good on YOUR piano and you may have to change it again when you play it on another piano.

Last edited by wouter79; 11/04/10 04:17 PM.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
this is kind of unrelated, but going through this thread kind of reminds me of the arguments conservatives and liberals go through.

although, in my mind, it does shed light on why people have such strong beliefs. i haven't been on this forum that long, so this is the first time i've witnessed this phenomenon here.

but at least the posts are high-quality as opposed to fanboy postings i see so often elsewhere.

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
I'd just like to add that:

(1) I've decided not to play the low C# in the nocturne; I can get a nicer thunderbolt-like effect by sforzandoing on the single C#. I realize the conversation is way past my initial post, but just putting it out there for closure; and

(2) While generally in the "be faithful to the composer/score" camp, I realize I actually don't know what I think. Because while I do labor to be faithful to the score, and strongly reject the "composer is dead so just do what feels good" argument, consider the following thought experiment:

Suppose a letter of Chopin's were discovered tomorrow, in which he clearly states a preference I strongly disagree with. (Like, I don't know, putting in a huge ritard at the end of op.10/4, or dramatic pauses between the final notes of op.28/24.) Would I change the way I play those pieces (if I played them)? No, I probably would not. (For that matter, I've heard some very strange interpretive choices from Prokofiev and Shostakovitch playing their own music. It doesn't affect my choices.) So I can talk about fidelity to the composer's wishes all I want, but what's really going on is more complicated than that. It's somehow fidelity to "the essence of the music", as I perceive it. Which is vague, and not really a well-formed statement, and that's why I don't actually know what I think.

-Jason

....Suppose a letter of Chopin's were discovered tomorrow, in which he clearly states a preference I strongly disagree with.....

Yes.
That kind of thing -- which also includes, suppose we found new manuscripts with different indications, which happens from time to time -- is a big part of my view.

Yes -- fidelity to the essence of the music, and to what we know and feel about the composer, and yes, it's vague -- and highly subjective.

P.S. I think you do know what you think. smile

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I'll admit that my original comment was a little sweeping, but I really do think that people worry about this stuff far too much, rather than feeling free to express their own original ideas, which is for me what makes music exciting. I agree with Lingyis though, about how nice it is to actually engage in a civilised debate on the subject rather than the usual bickering and name calling that predominates on the internet.

Last edited by debrucey; 11/05/10 02:33 PM.
Agreed. This is been a very good discussion!

www.pianoped.com
S
S
I don't see why not. My score has it written as an appoggiatura but I think an Octave would sound really great. It's not like Bach/Mozart etc, where you should stick to the score as much as possible; you can deviate a little (within reason). Correct me if I'm wrong but composer's such as Chopin and Liszt wouldn't stick completely to what's written on the score. That's why Liszt often included an 'Ossai' on his scores because there were so many alternatives. That one note isn't a huge change anyway, and it sounds good!

Currently working on...
Chopin - Fantasie Impromptu in C sharp minor Op.66
Mozart - Piano Sonata in E flat K.282
Liszt - Romance in E minor "O pourquoi donc" S.196
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission