2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
72 members (bcalvanese, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, 14 invisible), 2,076 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by raskdog
I'm not a huge Clayderman fan but....
Nice 'search' job! smile
(1st post on this thread in 6 years, which means most of us here never saw it.)

I remember when there used to be all those late-night TV ads for his recordings. They said he had sold more recordings in Europe than any other pianist, but most people here (U.S.) had never heard of him. So, a lot of people made fun of him, especially David Letterman, who did a whole series of Richard Clayderman jokes. But then eventually, they had Clayderman on the show, including playing some of his stuff and being a good sport about the whole thing.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Well, I don't put Clayderman on my shelf of classical pianists I admire, but I certainly do enjoy his music. His, Keiko Matsui, Yanni, Yiruma and other new age'y stuff that's plain pleasure to listen to - yet nothing ambitious.

I am pretty sure even after being able to play Rachmaninoff concerti (we can have our dreams, right? :D) I will return with smile to "Ballade pour adeline" (which is, by the way, de Sennevile's composition, Clayderman only played it) or "Comptine d'un autre ete..." by Yann Tiersen. Being simple doesn't make them stupid.

And yeah - I thought I've been on this forum for so long... and yet I haven't seen this thread! ;-)

M.

Last edited by Mati; 10/31/10 08:40 PM.

Mateusz Papiernik
https://maticomp.net
"One man can make a difference" - Wilton Knight
Kawai CN21 (digital), Henryk Yamayuri Kawai NX-40 (grand)
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
This thread -at three pages- seemed to have popped up from nowhere.

Two comments:

(1) It seems to be an established fact that Clayderman was a graduate of the Conservatoire de Paris. (What did he play? The Happy Farmer?)

(2) Would he ever have had any kind of career without those looks... which played out so perfectly for 30-something women during the '80's in US cities such as San Francisco, Seattle, Chicago, Boston where the men in their offices were either married or gay?

Tell me I'm missing something. During the same time frame Joshua Bell was an awesome sight to behold, but those looks were backed up by an incredible talent. I've seen Mr. Bell live a number of times -I know where he lives in London, hehe- and he delivers the goods. Maybe when his looks are no longer a big selling point he might tackle the Elgar concerto. Elgar did not write his concerto for youngsters, though many have tried, and I don't fully understand the piece.

Jason
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I can't run away from the comparison, that may be unfair to one of them, but strikes my head like a hammer. The comparison that Clayderman is somehow the Vanessa Mae of piano.

She perhaps can play classical as well, but she virtually never does. Playing what sells best in her genre she doesn't unveil even a 5% of her technique (which she may no longer have, for instance, after neglecting it).

He found a niche... and musicians like him are needed in this world as well.

Speaking of Joshua Bell - he delivers the goods of the sorts that looks is not that important. The target audience of Clayderman wouldn't call what Bell delivers "goods", no matter how he looked. On the other hand, the target audience of Bell wouldn't care for Clayderman looks at all, considering what he plays.

M.

Mateusz Papiernik
Originally Posted by argerichfan
.....Would he ever have had any kind of career without those looks.....

Looks matter. smile
A lot.
And IMO if we think there's something wrong with that, we are losing sight of human nature and what drives us.

A few years ago, I was at a master class where everyone played well. This one guy was probably the least good, but he was beautiful -- young guy, maybe 20, better looking than Clayderman and better looking than just about anybody. As far as we pianists were concerned, he was of only marginal interest, but I realized that if (let's say) the media had been present, 95% of the coverage would have been about him. The headline might have been "Beautiful Guy, 5 Others Perform at Master Class." ha

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Mark_C

And IMO if we think there's something wrong with that, we are losing sight of human nature and what drives us.

Indeed Mark. Thanks for your post. Why was it a few years ago that I never missed a Panic! At The Disco concert?

Jason
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Horace
I didn't know who he was, and ordered a DVD of his playing from Netflix. I didn't enjoy the music very much.

According to his website, he "won a conservatory competition" at age 16, or something. Anyway, he was playing entirely easy music, stuff that an average player with several years experience can play (presumably). What's his deal, is he technically deficient or does he intentionally play simpler pieces so as not to challenge his audience, or what? He was even playing a simplified version of the slow Moonlight sonata movement, which is pretty easy in its original version. Watching him play, his body language was not that of someone who's in full control of the piano. Hard to explain, but he was watching his hands in a certain way, it didn't seem as effortless as any technically skilled pianist I've seen play.

He's got a niche in the "easy listening" market for piano. There are thousands of classical concert pianists, and somehow, he stayed away from that genre and decided to corner this niche market and sell thousands of CDs (I'd bet the majority of his customers are non-pianists), and in the process has made millions.

I think he's done pretty well for himself. smile

Last edited by CebuKid; 10/31/10 11:15 PM.
I remember my mother being all excited in the 80's when I learnt to play 'Lady Di'. However, it is sort of like Muzak

Oz Marcus
Currently working on:
Schubert Impromptu in C minor - D899
Chopin Prelude Op28 No 15, nocturne Op48 no 1
Bach Prelude & Fuge WTC II No 12 in F minor
Aspiring to Rautavaara - Piano Sonata 2 - Fire Sermon
i ordered his blue book a while back. at the time it was interesting. i have a pile of books i give away.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Richard Clayderman published a smash hit in 1977 ... Ballade for Adeline ... which every teenager with piano ambitions liked to play in public.

Here’s the cover page together with the two page Ballade for Adeline by Paul de Senneville and Olivier Toussaint ... even I was dragooned into playing this ditty at the time.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

btb #1548282 11/01/10 10:24 AM
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by btb
Richard Clayderman published a smash hit in 1977 ... Ballade for Adeline ... which every teenager with piano ambitions liked to play in public.

Here’s the cover page together with the two page Ballade for Adeline by Paul de Senneville and Olivier Toussaint ... even I was dragooned into playing this ditty at the time.
[Linked Image]

It's gotta be the eyes... yeah that's where the money was. The fantasy of thousands of single (or maybe not?) women.

Jason
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Thanks for that fan,
I've just tacked on the two page score to Ballade for Adeline.

N
N
Yes, my mum was reeeally impressed when I learnt Ballade for Adeline in 1990 on a Casio, 5 octave, non-velocity sensitive keyboard with mini keys. Stuff seemed so much more expensive back then! If that's contributing to my playing ability today then I have Richard to thank for. I think I have an old recording on cassette somewhere..

btb #1548305 11/01/10 10:50 AM
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by btb
Thanks for that fan,

And thanks for that, btb.

The Ballade is a prime candidate for if you can't sightread it you're playing it too fast. laugh

Jason
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
It's gotta be the eyes... yeah that's where the money was. The fantasy of thousands of single (or maybe not?) women.
Well he never appealed to me, let me tell you. And btb, thanks for posting the music to Adeline. Now I know what that horribly annoying tune which has seeped into my brain from time to time over the last 30 years actually is. On second thoughts, I don't thank you. smile

Du holde Kunst...
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by btb
Thanks for that fan,

And thanks for that, btb.

The Ballade is a prime candidate for if you can't sightread it you're playing it too fast. laugh

or your vision is not good enough to be a good sightreader anyway, which seems to be the case with me laugh

M.

Mateusz Papiernik
G
G
Richard Clayderman (AKA Philippe Pages) has integrate at 12 years old the Paris conservatory, which means he knew how to play piano because the Paris conservatory is the most difficult conservatory to integrate in France.
Out of the conservatory he played in bars and on stage as a professionnal until he meets Paul de Senneville (Ballade pour Adeline) who was looking for a professionnal pianist for his composition.
My 2 cts. ;o)

Last edited by GR20; 11/11/17 08:09 PM.
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
GR20:

Your 2 cts. is adding to a thread last written on seven years ago and started in 2004.

This must be a resurrection record!

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by BruceD
GR20:

Your 2 cts. is adding to a thread last written on seven years ago and started in 2004.

This must be a resurrection record!

Somehow I doubt that.

Regards,

Polyphonist
G
G
I like to make records. ;o)

Last edited by GR20; 11/12/17 06:23 PM.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission