2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
25 members (drumour, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, 8 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
On my Yamaha P155 I want to have the metronome on while recording with the time signature set to 0 so I don't get a ring sound on every 4th beat. If I set the metronome, then press record, all is well for that session. But as soon as I stop recording and stop the metronome, it resets to 4/4 time the next time I turn it on. The beat doesn't change, only the time signature. Anyone know how to set the time sig so it sticks on 0? I'm looking thru the manual and not finding anything.

Thanks!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
The Metronome's time signature may/may not be something that can be stored to user memory (i.e. recalled each time the instrument is turned on). If you cannot find this point mentioned specifically in the owner's manual, I would suspect that the setting is not/cannot be stored.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
From the owner's manual ...

You can back up some settings, such as voice
selection and reverb type, so that they will not
be lost when you turn off the power to the
instrument. If the backup function is turned
on, the settings at power off are effective. If
the backup function is turned off, the settings
in memory are erased when you turn off the
power. In this case, when you turn on the
power to the unit, the default settings (the initial
settings) will be used. (The factory setting
default list is found on page 61.)

from page 61 ...

Metronome OFF —
Metronome Time Signature 0 (no accent) F8.1

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
B
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
Thanks for the replies. I already have the F8.1 backup group turned on, and that works for setting the time sig to 0 on power up, but turning on the recorder still sets it back to 4. It's possible there is a recording preset that's doing it, but I can't figure out how to get rid of it. Tried setting sig to zero and recording separate L and R parts, tried with U01,2 & 3. Always the same -- when the recorder is on and you press metronome, sig flips to 4. You have to turn the nome on first, set to zero, then record. That gives you one session at 0, but when you hit nome again after recording it will be at 4 again.

I ended up using an external nome to avoid the hassle. Luckily I rarely use the metronome for recording, so I don't need to keep an external by the DP.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Why not contact Yamaha about this. Perhaps there's a software update. At the very least let them about it. I always pass on my suggestions\complaints\whatever; it may not do any good but I know that someone reads my words.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
M
M
I realize that this is a very old thread. Nevertheless I want to share the solution to this problem in case anyone else is struggling with this.

The reason why the time signature is seemingly stuck to 4/4 when recording is that the recorder takes into account the time signature of the previous recording. This means that if you select U1 and you have previously already recorded a song on that slot (which is almost always the case), the recorder will switch to the time signature of that recording.

What you need to do first is to delete the selected user slot. Normally you would think that you can do this with the "DEL./FORMAT" but that is not working. Instead simply press "REC" to go into recording mode, then "PLAY" to start recording and then "STOP" to stop recording. Since you did not press any key, the user slot is empty now. The "LEFT" and "RIGHT" buttons should be off now to indicate that they are empty.

Now you can use "METRONOME" and "+/-" to set the time signature as usual. When you press "REC", the metronome will stay at the chosen signature.

Equipment: Petrof 118 L1, Yamaha P-155
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MrPozor
I realize that this is a very old thread. Nevertheless I want to share the solution to this problem in case anyone else is struggling with this.

The reason why the time signature is seemingly stuck to 4/4 when recording is that the recorder takes into account the time signature of the previous recording. This means that if you select U1 and you have previously already recorded a song on that slot (which is almost always the case), the recorder will switch to the time signature of that recording.

What you need to do first is to delete the selected user slot. Normally you would think that you can do this with the "DEL./FORMAT" but that is not working. Instead simply press "REC" to go into recording mode, then "PLAY" to start recording and then "STOP" to stop recording. Since you did not press any key, the user slot is empty now. The "LEFT" and "RIGHT" buttons should be off now to indicate that they are empty.

Now you can use "METRONOME" and "+/-" to set the time signature as usual. When you press "REC", the metronome will stay at the chosen signature.

I am sorry, that is not correct with the P-155.

I contacted Yamaha support, last July, on this very question:

ME: "Hi. I am trying to record using the metronome function. My issue is that I can not set the time signature to anything but 4 or 0. And after I hit the record button, I can not change the time signature at all (but I can change the tempo). So in other words, I have no issue getting the metronome to work with a 4/4 time signature, but I can not get a 3/4. When not using the record feature, I have no issues with the metronome. Thank you."

YAMAHA SUPPORT: "Thank you for contacting Yamaha!!! I'm sorry to say that on the P-155 you are unable to adjust the time signature."

Kawai MP11 : JBL LSR305 : Focusrite 2i4 : Pianoteq / Garritan CFX

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. -Willy Wonka

[Linked Image]
S
S
To be honest, this one surprised me to read. The Casio PX-350 has the ability to change the metronome from 2->6 (I believe).

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
The same with it's descendant, the PX-5S. There is no dedicated metronome on it, but I can use phrase recording and then a metronome plays. I believe I can choose most time signatures that are out there, for it.

For your P155, check if you can use a drum beat as a metronome. That might be a possible workaround, someone on the Casio forums was suggesting that as an alternative on the PX-5S. I wouldn't be surprised if that is also possible on the Yamaha.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, some Sampletekks. Pianoteq 8 Std (Blüthner, SteinGraeber, NY/HB Steinway D).
S
S
There are some things that irk me a little about the Casio metronome.

The light is yellow at the start of the beats and red for the remainder, but once you press a key, it starts the beat for the measure again, regardless where in it is. Of course, the tone of the beat changes on the first.

I'm actually thinking of getting a stand-alone metronome.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission