2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AlkansBookcase, AndyOnThePiano2, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, 11 invisible), 2,114 guests, and 310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 52 of 106 1 2 50 51 52 53 54 105 106
P
P
Tuned a Baldwin Acrosonic today, that I tuned maybe 3 times in 2 1/2 years. The last time it was starting to really come around, a previous tuner would come and tune half this time and in 3 months tune the next half, and then maybe the middle half one time or the ends next time. Needless to say, it was considered to be a lost cause because it didn't hold a tune (tuner's words)and "needed junked". (wondering what or who really needed junked.... hmmm?) They called me, and today, it was just some unisons out and a few loose pins, and it has not been tuned for almost a year. Not bad for a "junk" piano. Sounds good, holding a tune, and they are tickled. Had a no show, I and my appentice both heard her say "1:30", but she insisted she said "3:30". Oh well, squeezed her in tomorrow. She teaches at the college, so I cut her some extra slack... a good friend, but we still didn't make connections today.

Robert Noble, Noble Piano Services, Mansfield, OH
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Worked on a S&S M full regulation in the store today.

Les Koltvedt
Servicing the Greater Atlanta area
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Tuned and cleaned a Steinway L this morning for a great local piano teacher. The tunings have become rock solid ever since I upgraded the Dampp-Chaser climate system and installed an undercover. Pitch used to vary a lot, but no more, which is nice for me and for her. We like to talk a lot, too...which is fun...and it gives me a break...so I always schedule a whole morning for that visit.

Then onto a school after school for 2 concert tunings. I should have saved the Steinway B for last, but I didn't. Did that first. It's from 1916 and had a complete rebuild about 20 years ago. Someone donated it to the school when the new school was built...a joy to play.

After that, a Baldwin Hamilton on the stage. The lights were buzzing and the custodians had put the piano on twin dollies, but didn't attach them to the piano, so they dig into the case...and the whole things rocks forward and back when tuning. It's a worn-out, bright, loud piano, but they use it because it sounds good with the jazz band. It kinds of sounds like a circus...all that was missing with this tuning was the monkey with the clashing cymbols. Oh, wait...that was me!

Eric Gloo
Piano Technician
Certified Dampp-Chaser Installer
Richfield Springs, New York
B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
When they don't attach the dollies and the piano rocks, I always make a note in writing on the invoice about the danger of it tipping, especially in school pianos. I always worry the piano will tip over on a kid, and I don't want any liability for that! The other common thing I see is dollies attached at the rear only, and nothing secured underneath.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Tuned a nice Yamaha console for the first appointment.

Tuned an Everett Spinet. They lady could not find anyone that can make her happy. I take notes when people are talking to me on the phone or off from the messages they leave. In her message, she mentioned 2 sticking keys and some buzzing and rattling. Today, she mentioned that she could not get the keys to stick nor, could I so, that one is moot for now. She did not mention the buzz again.

I will be placing a separate topic on the problem and solution for the buzz.

Then, I tuned a Yamaha P22, raised it 1/4 tone, tightened the hammer flanges, adjusted pedals.

Next, I tuned a Young Chang studio. Regulated lost motion only in the tenor section, regulated the pedals and was done for the day. Went out to dinner with the wife.

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
P
P
Hey, the best part of the day.. going out to dinner with the wife... worth tuning all day to get that chance!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
After reading Jer Groots thread about the action bracket...yesterday I had a rebuilt S&S K with a sticky C#5, would hang at full stroke...but only sometimes. You could feel a real strong detent at letoff. Played around with it, dropped the action back to have a look, maybe a loose screw or something. Put the action back in and only put the two middle retaining nuts on and the key worked real nice. Tighten the last action bracket nut at the treble end and the strong detent would come back. Ended up backing the action bracket stud on the treble end out 1/2 turn.

Les Koltvedt
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate
P
P
Just tuned a super nice Yamaha grand for one of the teachers at the college. I tuned it a year ago, and it was still smack on. Such a beautiful sound, and they paid me and included a tip "for Christmas". Wow, get to tune and play a great piano and get paid with a tip to boot, gee, how good can it get?

B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
While I tuned 5 pianos on Friday, my daughter, a freshman in high school rescued a baby squirrel who's leg was impaled on a thorn. The poor thing was hanging upside down by it's leg, crying for help. It's eyes are not open yet, so it's about 4 weeks old. She's feeding it and when it's ready, we'll let it go. One of my customer's has a pet squirrel, so they can be domesticated, but my wife isn't having any of that! Here's a pic at feeding time!

[Linked Image]

To top off the afternoon, she watched a water moccasin slither in the front of our house. I'm going to have to take a look for it, in case it chose to make a home in our yard, instead of in the marsh.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
YIPES! Snakes!!! I HATE SNAKES!!!!!! Bum knee or not, I RUN! RUN RUN RUN RUN RUUUUUUUNNN!

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Right behind you Jer, you don't have to know what kind of snakes are poisonous or not, justleave em all alone. snakes are icky.

Les Koltvedt
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Snakes are icky and ugly. They look like they're ready to eat you alive or chew you to death.

Today, I tuned for the nicest customer. We are also email buddies. Sending forwards back and forth. She owns a nice Kawai GS-30. The piano tunes up great and always sounds so nice when I'm done. Plus, she always sets up her church pianos for me twice a year = 6 tunings and, recommends me to others so I always give her a big discount AND, she makes me banana bread. 2 loaves no less! Are you jealous??? MMMM! I love that stuff!!

Then, tuned 3 in her church. A Kawai UST-6, nice piano. Kawai grand, KG-2C, another great piano. We rebuilt it in 2004. Then, did some more regulation on it in the spring of this year. Great piano. Then tuned a Story & Clark studio.

Yesterday, tuned a Hamilton grand, haven't seen one of these in a while. Raised it 1/4-1/2 tone to 440. Needs work. Has great potential but, unfortunately, I hear the same ole story from this one... Kids in college, no money... Good enough for me to play on etc... OK. Wait longer and replace the hammers instead, I'm good with that too.

Then, tuned 4 in a church. All Yamaha's!

Tomorrow, tuning 1 home, 2 at my college, replacing 2 broken bass wires on a Kawai RX-6 and then tuning a Yamaha U3 in one of the dorms at the college.

Friday, tuning 7 pianos.

How goes your week so far?

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Tuning a Story & Clark Thursday morning and a store pitch & tune on a Kimball console. Had a regulation mentoring session this afternoon. It's getting there...slow and steady, lol

Les Koltvedt
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Tuned a Kawai studio in a gym for a choir concert while basketball practice was going on. Ear plugs and an ETD made that possible along with 4 decades of experience knowing that if it has to be done now, it has to be done and not to complain about it. The piano needed a pitch raise, so it was a double tuning in all three sections as I would expect at this time of year, yet it still only took 45 minutes. If I had balked at the situation, I would have lost my fee and probably the account as well. I actually enjoyed taking a few short breaks to stretch my back and watch the kids shoot hoops.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison WI USA
www.billbremmer.com
R
RPD Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Did a Steinway D in an auditorium for tomorrow night show...last minute, and oh by the way notes and dampers are sticking. Luckily, it was the keyslip pushing against keys...easy fix...raised 6C to 440...ET this time...

Tuned two church pianos, and one house Yamaha U Series...did a short service call for free as a followup to correct another "sticking" key, and the client was happy to have that quarter back. (not Quarterback, Quarter back)

Put on 125 miles today...stopped at Guitar Center and marveled that the place is filled with 20 year old kids. The only purchases I witnessed in the 1/2 hour I waas there were by middle aged folks...one with a pony tail, one with small children by her side, and me. 6 inch guitar cords suitable for recording and performance are $22 each. Who knew...

Home at 8:45pm...working with Jane in the shop until 11pm. Trying to finish a pump organ for a family by the 18th. I have time to write this while the coffee brews!

Such are my simple facts.

RPD

MPT(Master Piano Technicians of America)
Member AMICA (Automated Musical Instruments Collector's Association)
(Subscriber PTG Journal)
Piano-Tuner-Rebuilder/Musician
www.actionpianoservice.com
DEALER Hailun Pianos
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
4 spinets, 4 pitch raises. Next I'll probably get a jury duty summons.

DiGiorgi Piano Service
http://www.digiorgipiano.com
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Yesterday a Kohler & Campbell console, a 100+flat. Been up north for the last 5 years... alone with no heat. But can this girl play, 89yrs old. Sat down and chatted over a cup of coffee.. is this really work?

Les Koltvedt
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Yesterday, a Stroud upright, not too bad after about three years and a move. Then a pre-surgery appointment for my wife. Today, an old Steinway, followed by the Christmas dinner at my club with the other members I have sponsored. I have not seen one of them since he became police chief of one of the cities around here, as I figured he would be pretty busy, but I called him and he thought he should come. Tomorrow is the surgery.

Semipro Tech
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I'll be hoping for the very best outcome and recovery for your wife, BDB. Sure, she has no clue who I am, but what could it hurt.

I have some idea how she must be feeling; I'm scheduled for a knee replacement job in a few weeks. Sure, it's good; better than not doing it. But then again...

Anyway, good thoughts.

Clef

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Monday tuned 7. 4 in one church, 3 in another. 3 Yamaha's, an Everett grand, Baldwin studio, 2 Everett studios.

Tuesday tuned 6. A 9' Baldwin concert grand that needs rebuilding. R 1/4-1/2-440, did some repairs and other junk. Tuned a Hundai grand. PSO. Yamaha & Charles Walter studio, Everett studio, Young Chang grand. Put on 160 miles Monday and Tuesday.

Wed: Screwed up. Double booked. Secretary scheduled them for 2 weeks ago and I scheduled the same church for yesterday. Found out the night before. Fine by me! Tuned 2 yesterday. A Steinway M and a Howard grand. Another PSO.

Today, tuned 4. Steinway M, S&C studio, Kawai console, Schimmel studio. Put on another 60 miles.

Tomorrow, only tuning 2 again! Yippee! Two more Yamaha grands. Then going out to lunch with the head person at my college. I start tuning there next week and will be there for the next 3 weeks straight.

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
Page 52 of 106 1 2 50 51 52 53 54 105 106

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission