Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1551027 - 11/04/10 06:58 PM Re: What is the correct way to play Bach, musicaly? [Re: D4v3]
bellamusica Offline

There's a story about Wanda Landowska where she was in disagreement with another pianist on how to play Bach. Eventually she said "Fine, you play Bach your way and I'll play Bach his way." laugh

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#1551071 - 11/04/10 07:47 PM Re: What is the correct way to play Bach, musicaly? [Re: bellamusica]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
Originally Posted By: bellamusica
There's a story about Wanda Landowska where she was in disagreement with another pianist on how to play Bach. Eventually she said "Fine, you play Bach your way and I'll play Bach his way." laugh

Supposedly, Casals, it was with whom she had the conversation.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#1551081 - 11/04/10 07:56 PM Re: What is the correct way to play Bach, musicaly? [Re: D4v3]
dolce sfogato Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Netherlands
just listened to young pianists playing in a competition, Bach was on the program, of course, and the different ways they played gave me a smile: with pedal, without pedal, with gradual dynamics, with terrace-dynamics, wthout any, fast and lightweight, heavy and ponderous, real piano sound, quasi harpsichord sound, and the funny thing is: Bach still was Bach, the music just can't be played to death, if only one has fingers, heart, and, yes, sometimes: brains.

Mussorgski tableaux d'une exposition/Ravel miroirs

#1551083 - 11/04/10 07:59 PM Re: What is the correct way to play Bach, musicaly? [Re: D4v3]
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria South Africa
Forgive me klutz old chap,

But I was trying to be helpful to a battling newcomer to the Bach-game ... who had only reached the third measure of the Invention ... the note was merely to forewarn of the typical Bach compositional approach ... switching identical note outlines.

#1551917 - 11/06/10 04:14 AM Re: What is the correct way to play Bach, musicaly? [Re: D4v3]
SamOnThePiano Offline

Loc: Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei
The correct way to play Bach, is to play like Bach!

There is definitely no one way to play like bach.

Founder of my own dreams, to become a concert pianist.

I am Samuel Cho(click!) and music is what I'm here for.

#1552032 - 11/06/10 09:40 AM Re: What is the correct way to play Bach, musicaly? [Re: D4v3]
landorrano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
Originally Posted By: D4v3
my current teacher is sending me back to the two-part inventions (#2 C min) to be exact.

I thought it would be as simple as finding the "theme" and bringing it out more than the accompanyment(sp?) and as the theme shows up in the other hand bring it out more there.

Playing this music is not difficult. Grasping it in your mind is difficult. And you can only play so well as you understand it.

This week, my daughter had four 2-3 hour lessons dedicated, at my insistence, exclusively to the C-maj Invention. Not playing the piece so much as examining it, and even so they didn't go entirely through it in detail. My daughter was a bit overwhelmed, so we decided to stop after four sessions so that she can digest what she has learned. Every portion that they worked through she has been able without difficulty to play hands together, the evening when the teacher was not there.

I think that it is a mistake, viewing the Inventions as pedagogic material aimed at developing keyboard technique (independence of the hands, and so on). They are of course, but without a doubt they were written in the spirit of the apprenticeship of composition. Their most interesting content is conceptual.

#1552155 - 11/06/10 12:56 PM Re: What is the correct way to play Bach, musicaly? [Re: landorrano]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: landorrano

Playing this music is not difficult. Grasping it in your mind is difficult. And you can only play so well as you understand it.

Isn't that a contradiction?

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

♪ ≠ $

#1552237 - 11/06/10 02:53 PM Re: What is the correct way to play Bach, musicaly? [Re: stores]
landorrano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: stores

No.

#1552291 - 11/06/10 04:10 PM Re: What is the correct way to play Bach, musicaly? [Re: landorrano]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: stores

No.

Well, if playing it isn't difficult, but grasping is, and your playing depends on your understanding then you do the math.

♪ ≠ $

#1552478 - 11/06/10 10:23 PM Re: What is the correct way to play Bach, musicaly? [Re: stores]
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Sounds to me like a semantic difference on what "playing it is difficult" means.
And even maybe on what "playing it" means.

As is the case with many arguments, I think the two of you would realize there's no argument at all, except how you're viewing the words. smile

#1552544 - 11/07/10 12:10 AM Re: What is the correct way to play Bach, musicaly? [Re: D4v3]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: in the past
As long as you play it like, well, music. I'm so sick of these typical, robotic performances of Bach. Bach loved the voice so much, and loved cantabile,and the voice has expressive capabilities, no? So why should keyboard music be played without any dynamic range or musical shaping (even though it should be subtle!)?

'I want to invest my emotions only in music; it will never disappoint me or hurt me - it is a safe place to be.'

#1552578 - 11/07/10 01:56 AM Re: What is the correct way to play Bach, musicaly? [Re: D4v3]
david_a Offline
2000 Post Club Member

If I may presume to paraphrase landorrano: The physical act of playing this music is not difficult.

I think that added phrase removes the misunderstanding, and it was the way I originally read the post.

#1552580 - 11/07/10 01:03 AM Re: What is the correct way to play Bach, musicaly? [Re: david_a]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: david_a
If I may presume to paraphrase landorrano: The physical act of playing this music is not difficult.

I think that added phrase removes the misunderstanding, and it was the way I originally read the post.

....and I can perhaps clarify the disagreement with this quote from Josef Hofmann:

"What makes you think we play with our hands?" smile

#1552584 - 11/07/10 01:18 AM Re: What is the correct way to play Bach, musicaly? [Re: Mark_C]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mark_C
Originally Posted By: Peyton
It's been a long time since I took lessons but as I recall when I played Bach for my teacher she would insist I not use the pedal. Is that standard practice?

No.

It's a view. smile

Not an uncommon view, but not predominant.

And your source for the idea that it is not the predominant view is...?

#1552587 - 11/07/10 01:24 AM Re: What is the correct way to play Bach, musicaly? [Re: D4v3]
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Banned
I expect to see some back-pedalling on this standpoint.

#1552590 - 11/07/10 01:27 AM Re: What is the correct way to play Bach, musicaly? [Re: wr]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: wr
And your source for the idea that it is not the predominant view is...?

I guess that means you disagree. ha

You're entitled.

#1552597 - 11/07/10 01:53 AM Re: What is the correct way to play Bach, musicaly? [Re: D4v3]
Frozenicicles Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: survivordan
Another element to consider is what kind of dynamics to have (both dynamics range and form (terraced, or not)).

I think that terraced alone is too limiting, even though a harpischord is only capable of doing that.

We are trending towards stricter interpretations, after an older era of very romantic interpretations of everything (I remember my violin teacher showing me one CD of Bach that had heavy rubato and excessive vibrato all over the place). This teacher was definitely a purist, who insisted that there was only one way to play everything when it came to baroque. Maybe this trend is not such a good thing when performances of Bach become dull and predictable.

#1552629 - 11/07/10 03:26 AM Re: What is the correct way to play Bach, musicaly? [Re: Peyton]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

It's been a long time since I took lessons but as I recall when I played Bach for my teacher she would insist I not use the pedal. Is that standard practice?

Whether it is standard or not (and I am guessing that with the better teachers, it is standard), it should be the basic starting point for playing Bach on piano. This is because of the simple and obvious reason that Bach didn't ever write anything with a sustain pedal in mind - it didn't exist. Because of that, it is a no-brainer that his non-organ keyboard music should be completely playable without it (unless you think he didn't know what he was doing).

#1552649 - 11/07/10 04:01 AM Re: What is the correct way to play Bach, musicaly? [Re: wr]
Mark_C Offline

....it is a no-brainer that his non-organ keyboard music should be completely playable without it (unless you think he didn't know what he was doing).

Peyton: That's an opinion. smile

And in any event it's not a no brainer, among other reasons because people could differ on what "playable" means.

Maybe you want to start a separate thread on your question? You're wondering if it's "standard practice." We have a nice cross section of pianists on this site. If you start a thread on it, you'll get a good idea of how prevalent whichever view is -- from what the members' views are, and from what they may say about their teachers' views plus what they've read. My strong guess is you'll find that some people (including some "better teachers" as well as some "worse teachers") smile hold the "no pedal" view but most by far don't.

BTW....a fair number of people might say "mostly no pedal," or "not too much pedal," but those don't count as "no pedal," which was what you asked about.

#1552656 - 11/07/10 04:08 AM Re: What is the correct way to play Bach, musicaly? [Re: D4v3]
keyboardklutz Offline

Loc: London, UK (though if it's Aug...
Chopin insisted his students learned without applying pedal (it would be added later) probably because for him it was principally a loud pedal. In the case of Bach, using it in this sense is perfectly legit.

#1552660 - 11/07/10 04:14 AM Re: What is the correct way to play Bach, musicaly? [Re: keyboardklutz]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: keyboardklutz
Chopin insisted his students learned without applying pedal (it would be added later)....

Where have you seen this???

It seems odd because much of Chopin's music is essentially meaningless without pedal. Are you maybe talking just about certain repertoire?

Old joke: A student plays an audition for a new teacher. The piece is in B major, but he plays only white notes, leaving out the sharps. The teacher interrupts and asks what the hell he's doing. The student answers, "My old teacher told me to learn notes first and then put in the expression later." ha

Pedal is an inherent part of much piano music, as are the sharps and flats.

#1552661 - 11/07/10 04:15 AM Re: What is the correct way to play Bach, musicaly? [Re: D4v3]
keyboardklutz Offline

You had to have been there - unpublished Streicher family letters.

#1552664 - 11/07/10 04:20 AM Re: What is the correct way to play Bach, musicaly? [Re: Mark_C]
landorrano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

+ 100

#1552665 - 11/07/10 04:22 AM Re: What is the correct way to play Bach, musicaly? [Re: keyboardklutz]
Mark_C Offline

You had to have been there - unpublished Streicher family letters.

yeah right ha

You have to do better than that if you want to get away with a statement like you made. smile

#1552667 - 11/07/10 04:24 AM Re: What is the correct way to play Bach, musicaly? [Re: landorrano]
Mark_C Offline

+ 100

BTW: I never understood if Hofmann meant that we play rather with our heart, or our head.
But it works fine either way. smile

#1552670 - 11/07/10 04:29 AM Re: What is the correct way to play Bach, musicaly? [Re: D4v3]
keyboardklutz Offline

http://www.epta.si/eng/wp-content/datoteke/4-chopin-as-a-teacher-and-his-pupils1.pdf is the best I can do for you - check pg 2. You'll have to wait till she publishes them like the rest of Joe Piano Public!

#1552671 - 11/07/10 04:30 AM Re: What is the correct way to play Bach, musicaly? [Re: wr]
landorrano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Whether it is standard or not (and I am guessing that with the better teachers, it is standard), it should be the basic starting point for playing Bach on piano.

For teaching Bach, I agree. I lose all confidence in a teacher who introduces pedaling and crescendos and diminuendos and so on to a youngster. It distracts attention from where it should be, which is not playing.

But playing Bach is another story, to each his own in my view.

#1552673 - 11/07/10 04:32 AM Re: What is the correct way to play Bach, musicaly? [Re: keyboardklutz]
Mark_C Offline

http://www.epta.si/eng/wp-content/datoteke/4-chopin-as-a-teacher-and-his-pupils1.pdf is the best I can do for you - check pg 2. You'll have to wait till she publishes them like the rest of Joe Piano Public!

How is that an answer about the pedaling thing?
(Where is there anything like what you said about pedal???)

Nice of you to give a reference, but if you're going to send us somewhere to check something out, it would help for it to have something on what we're talking about. smile

I gave you the benefit of the doubt, figuring that you wouldn't give an irrelevant reference, so I even checked all 3 pages.....

#1552674 - 11/07/10 04:36 AM Re: What is the correct way to play Bach, musicaly? [Re: D4v3]
keyboardklutz Offline

Oh, I see, you don't believe me? Fine, find another attendee!

#1552677 - 11/07/10 04:40 AM Re: What is the correct way to play Bach, musicaly? [Re: keyboardklutz]
Mark_C Offline

Oh, I see, you don't believe me? Fine, find another attendee!

I think you lose a lot of credibility when you do something like that. You sent us to a reference that has nothing to do with what we're talking about.

OK folks, it's official: Ignore this guy's post on what Chopin supposedly said about pedaling.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
calling all users of Ivory II American D
by dire tonic
Today at 08:29 AM
Staying in one position for too long - tension
by DeadPoets
Today at 06:07 AM
Cleaning strings
by PhilipInChina
Today at 05:10 AM
recording digital piano
by johan d
Today at 03:38 AM
Ambitious Jazz beginner
by Ruan
Today at 01:10 AM
Who's Online
108 registered (Arizona Sage, Anne'sson, AZ_Astro, anamnesis, barbaram, 30 invisible), 1345 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76610 Members
42 Forums
158410 Topics
2326312 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission