2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
51 members (7sheji, bcalvanese, Aylin, Barly, brdwyguy, accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 5 invisible), 1,351 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Martin C. Doege
On the P-85, you can change to a different voice while a note using the original patch sustains. I think that's really a basic requirement for a stage piano and something reviewers have mentioned as more professional than the comparable entry-level Casios which abruptly stop a sound.

My original Casio didn't do that. My later Casio (PX-310) annoyingly did (it was because of the FX implementation, I think). The current Casio PX-3 works properly again. I'm not sure about the lower models, I would think they would at this point as well, but maybe someone else can confirm.

A
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by dewster
Originally Posted by ashat
... exploring the Yamaha website I finally got something which seems to prove a difference in the sound (and in the Sustain Pedal) between P85 and P95.

I watched the video and it only confused me further. How can the P95 possess "DYNAMIC STEREO SAMPLING" and yet have only have one velocity layer ("PIANO SAMPLES PER KEY")? By rights, shouldn't only multi-layer DPs have a dot here?

I tested Martin's P85 and it is almost certainly stereo, so I don't think that's what they are talking about. Did the chart dot placer screw up, or is there more to this than meets the eye/ear? I'm a cynic so I'm betting on (a convenient) screw-up.

I agree, it could well be a screw-up on the chart. From what I can tell from the owner's manuals, both the P85 and the P95 have dynamic sampling (i.e. multi-layer) on the electric pianos, and neither has it on the acoustic pianos. In fact, the paragraph about this in the P95 manual is a direct lift from the P85 manual. So either it is the same, or someone forgot to update the change in the new manual. Presumably assuming I get you the DPBSD file, you'll be able to tell if the P95 has more layers than the P85?

Last edited by anotherscott; 11/03/10 02:46 AM.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by anotherscott
Presumably assuming I get you the DPBSD file, you'll be able to tell if the P95 has more layers than the P85?

It's not possible for me to tell the P85 is a single layer from the spectral views, but I'd probably be able to say whether or not the P95 AP is the same as the P85 AP, which is what we are all wondering.

A
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
A
It's not possible for me to tell the P85 is a single layer from the spectral views, but I'd probably be able to say whether or not the P95 AP is the same as the P85 AP, which is what we are all wondering.

Very good. Of course, if the only sound improvement (if there is any at all) comes from better speakers, the DPBSD won't show that... but it's a good start, especially for those of us who rarely use the internal speakers anyway.

A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A

Is the German video claiming "better speakers" or "more powerful" speakers?

I guess we'll need a translation from someone who speaks German. But, what does it matter? Either way, they would be claiming an improvement, regardless of which adjective they used to describe the change.

but "better" may be subjective, "more powerful" is objective and may be proved.

A.

A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Martin,
just to talk (a bit OT) of something which could be of interest for those possessing a P85, may I ask you if you are using the preset K1 sound in Pianoteq, or any modified version?

And are you using any specific "velocity curve" and voice selection on the keyboard to obtain a better result?
I read on a Pianoteq forum something like it is better to select Electric Piano and hard touch...

A.

It's true that the touch setting on the P-85 affects the generated MIDI values, so either set this to normal or hard I guess. I hope the selected voice has no influence.

Could it be related with the Electric Pianos being "multi-layer"?

Here is the link to the Pianoteq forum thread about P85 velocity curves.
http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/viewtopic.php?id=1225

and other than that I've just added Baroque tunings. E.g. Werckmeister or ET at 415 Hz.

Is this possible on the Pianoteq Play or just on the full version?

A.

A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
... exploring the Yamaha website I finally got something which seems to prove a difference in the sound (and in the Sustain Pedal) between P85 and P95.

I watched the video and it only confused me further. How can the P95 possess "DYNAMIC STEREO SAMPLING" and yet have only have one velocity layer ("PIANO SAMPLES PER KEY")? By rights, shouldn't only multi-layer DPs have a dot here?

In fact here Yamaha declares "DSS" is not in the P95.

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/cda/flash/dp/videoplayer/dpvideoplayer.asp

A.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Very good, ashat! Now it's a cage match fight to the death between two conflicting Yamaha Flash player chart dots. My money's on this latest dot being the correct one.

M
M

Could it be related with the Electric Pianos being "multi-layer"?

Here is the link to the Pianoteq forum thread about P85 velocity curves.
http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/viewtopic.php?id=1225

I don't know if there is a difference between acoustic and electric voices in terms of MIDI velocities. You could try hitting the same note over and over with about the same speed while switching voices and watching the incoming MIDI velocities in PT for changes to find out.

Is this possible on the Pianoteq Play or just on the full version?

According to the screenshots at pianoteq.com, I guess 415 Hz is possible in PLAY, but changing the temperament is not...

Very good, ashat! Now it's a cage match fight to the death between two conflicting Yamaha Flash player chart dots. My money's on this latest dot being the correct one.

Like I said, maybe DSS is present on the P-95, but not in the acoustic piano voice. Because page 2 only seems to talk about sampling grands, while page 1 with the table seems to lump all voices conveniently together.

The P-95 manual just notes that the electric pianos use multiple layers and calls that "Dynamic Sampling", but I guess that's no different from the P-85, is it?

Martin

A
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
A

Well, either way, they would be *different* which is what gets back to my original point.
But actually "more powerful" is about as ambiguous as "better" is. What does "more powerful" mean? Louder? (Since the amp is the same, that would mean "more efficient.") Or more bass? Or maybe something else? Speakers don't actually have anything truly called "power" (although amplifiers do), so it's a fuzzy marketing word more than anything else.

A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A

Well, either way, they would be *different* which is what gets back to my original point.
But actually "more powerful" is about as ambiguous as "better" is. What does "more powerful" mean?

Power referred to a speaker is usally the power the speaker is able to handle. And it is measurable.
"Better" is not measurable.

A.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
The P-95 manual just notes that the electric pianos use multiple layers and calls that "Dynamic Sampling", but I guess that's no different from the P-85, is it?

I think you're right Martin, DSS probably applies to the EPs and not to the APs. I just checked the P-85 manual and found this on page 6:

AWM Stereo Sampling
The Yamaha P-85 offers unmatched sonic realism and natural grand-piano type playability as well as Yamaha’s original “AWM Stereo Sampling” tone-generation technology for rich, musical voices.

In particular, the Grand Piano 1 and 2 voices feature samples painstakingly recorded from a full concert grand piano, while the Electric Piano 1 and 2 voice features multiple samples for different velocities (Dynamic Sampling); in other words, it uses different samples depending on the strength of your playing.

It might be though that the EPs are not sampled in stereo.

A
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
A
Power referred to a speaker is usally the power the speaker is able to handle. And it is measurable.

Yes, a speaker has power handling capability. If the number is higher, it means it can work with an amplifier that is more powerful. The speaker itself is not more powerful. In fact, you can easily have a speaker that can handle 200 watts that ends up not being able to play as loud as some other speaker that can only handle 100 watts (because the efficiency is different). So it is definitely inappropriate to say that a speaker that can *handle* more power is "more powerful." (As an aside, in the case of the P85 and P95, the amps have the same power. So a speaker that could handle more power would offer no benefit, as there is no more power to handle.)

M
M

I think you're right Martin, DSS probably applies to the EPs and not to the APs. I just checked the P-85 manual and found this on page 6:

The problem is that the P-85 does not have DSS according to the table, but supposedly has the same electric piano voices as the P-95. So maybe the new Jazz organ is the answer?

Martin

A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A

So it is definitely inappropriate to say that a speaker that can *handle* more power is "more powerful."

but if saying "more powerful" the German video would mean "capable to handle more power" this could actually be measured.
if it is saying "better" this cannot be measured.

A.

A
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
A
but if saying "more powerful" the German video would mean "capable to handle more power" this could actually be measured.

But "more powerful" doesn't in any way mean "capable to handle more power." I understand English is your second language, and maybe we're just running into a situation where the grammar isn't translating properly.

A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A

But "more powerful" doesn't in any way mean "capable to handle more power." I understand English is your second language,

Scott, it is not me and my English as a second language.

I wrote: "if saying more powerfu the German video would mean....", which means "maybe the German guy in the video is using the expression "more powerful" to mean "capable to handle more power", because as a commercial video it could be there are this kind of unprecise/approximative statements. And what matters in what I wrote is that a quantitative statement like that could be verified by some sort of measurement. While if he said "better" this to me means nothing, because it is subjective and cannot be verified/measured.

I was just trying to discover if he is using a quantitative statement (more powerful or something like that) or a qualitative statement (better).

Is it clear now? I hope so smile

A.

A
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
A
[I wrote: "if saying more powerfu the German video would mean....", which means "maybe the German guy in the video is using the expression "more powerful" to mean "capable to handle more power", because as a commercial video it could be there are this kind of unprecise/approximative statements. And what matters in what I wrote is that a quantitative statement like that could be verified by some sort of measurement. While if he said "better" this to me means nothing, because it is subjective and cannot be verified/measured.

I was just trying to discover if he is using a quantitative statement (more powerful or something like that) or a qualitative statement (better).

Is it clear now? I hope so smile

Well, even if the German speaker did make a mistake and say "more powerful speaker" when he meant "speaker capable of handling more power" (which, at least in English, is not at all the same thing), what difference would that make if you're not actually sending it any more power? The amp is still just 6 watts, so substituting a speaker that can handle more power doesn't provide any benefit (unless the speakers in the P85 were insufficient for the 6 watt amp and were regularly distorting or getting blown, but I have seen no such complaints).

I think it is more likely he is making a properly worded qualitative statement to describe what he perceives as an actual benefit, rather than making a wrongly worded quantitative statement that actually would not produce any audible improvement.

Semantics aside, the real question is whether or not the speakers are actually truly different in any respect, that's what really matters here, and that is what we have not yet determined for certain.

Last edited by anotherscott; 11/03/10 09:13 PM.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Semantics aside, the real question is whether or not the speakers are actually truly different in any respect, that's what really matters here, and that is what we have not yet determined for certain.

If I were a betting man I'd put lots of money on "no difference". If there truly was a change you'd see it reflected in the manual, the web, the specs, etc. - Yamaha would basically be shouting it from the rooftops. It costs real money to make changes, and they don't generally ignore them after they've gone out of their way to make them.

A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A

I think it is more likely he is making a properly worded qualitative statement to describe what he perceives as an actual benefit,

which does not refer to a concrete difference so it is just a subjective evaluation.

and you should even consider that "different" does not necessarily implies "better"...

A.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission