2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 11 invisible), 1,848 guests, and 265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
A
alexb Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I have a fantastic teacher that I've been very happy with (see my prior posts for more details if curious). She's excellent in every aspect that you can imagine. But there is one thing that bothers me, and I'm not sure how to bring it up - she doesn't seem to take good care of the Steinway M that she teaches on. And this is her own personal piano in her own home!

On PW, we can get a bit too anal about perfect humidity, action regulation, etc. Too much can be too much, I know that. But her piano is bad in the summer and now bad in the winter. It's in tune, but the action needs some work. It seems she doesn't think it's that big a deal, but for me it's hard to adapt from my Boston upright that has real nice action because I keep it in check, and then play on her piano. And it's not just a difference in action - her action is just out of sync. Some keys are not working as well as others, etc. Being a professional who teaches at conservatory and also performs, I think she plays on so many pianos, she doesn't seem to pay much attention to it or is just used to it. Her main thing is the sound you get out of it and how musical you can play - which is the most important, I agree. But for me, when I practice and have a piece down at home, it's depressing to go and play there and screw up because the action is not in good shape. Then she points out that it's not pp enough in the left hand, or this that and the other. And I KNOW I have it down, but it's hard to just say I can't get used to your piano, not because it's different, but because you are not taking care of it!

I just feel like I should approach it somehow, but not sure how because I don't want to be insensitive either. I've said many times that it's hard to adjust, but she says that it comes with playing time. The more pianos you play, the easier you adjust. And while that's true, a piano that's out of sync, doesn't seem to fall into that category in my eyes. It seems she plays it a ton and also has students, and she does tune it, but the action just is not regulated. Weird...

Thoughts?

I
I
Saying "it's hard to adjust" is different than saying "I feel like this key is sluggish" or whatever the issue is. Have you ever hit a specific key that wasn't working properly and pointed it out to her specifically? If so, what did she say about it?

A
alexb Offline OP
OP Offline
A
The whole action is out of sync. A great player can play through it - as she does. For me, just learning, it's not helping out. I did mention that, and she said it just gets played so much it's going to happen. And that the more I play the more I'll get used to it. I suppose. Just sort of strange to be honest.

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Do you have trouble playing on other pianos?

I'm going to speak plainly, but by no means am I tryign to be harsh, just straightforward. A good pianist can make even a poorly maintained instrument sound good. You adjust as you go, getting the feel for the quirks of the instrument. This is what your teacher is trying to teach you. I'm not 100% convinced that the issue has to do with her piano not being well maintained as much as it has to do with your current inability to make this adjustment.

Keep in mind that *no one* plays as well on an unfamiliar instrument as they do on the one they practice, even if they get to play on a Bosendorfer concert grand that is well-regulated and tuned. If you played it every day it would me much easier, and the same goes for your teacher's piano. Trust what she is telling you and in time it will get better.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
By out of sync, I believe you mean out of regulation. That's when there's non-uniformity among the keys. Although it's true that you can adjust, you can never play your best, because your mind is engaged in compensating, which at the very least, is an unnecessary distraction.

I know that my technician does touch up adjustments from time to time, but I have no idea how many hours between regulation is necessary. And for certain, a well-made instrument should hold it's regulation far longer than an average piano.

All that said, I'm guessing that if she hasn't had it regulated in the last 25 years, it's long overdue. You might ask her when it was last regulated, and if it seems unduly long, you might respond with raised eyebrows and an "Oh, really?"

How do the other students feel about the instrument? Do you chat with them at recitals, get togethers, etc.? Perhaps, instead of a Christmas gift, all of her students could each chip in some cash towards a "regulation." Yeah, that's probably a bit tacky and over the top, but I'm just brain storming here.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
F
F
Personally, I wouldn't venture to comment on a teacher's piano. If she gives regular lessons on it, it gets a lot of use. My teacher is a professional classical musician as well as a teacher. Her piano is Mason Hamlin, but it's usually well out of tune, and not easy to play. I know she has it maintained to the best of her financial ability by the best tech in our town.

My previous teacher was also a working classical musician, and she had a rented "Star" baby grand that actually had some keys that were really out of regulation and "plunky." She couldn't afford better. That's just how it is. While playing on a nice piano is wonderful, I think we all should learn to make due with what's available. Of course, you always have the choice of changing teachers.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Interestingly--to me--a couple of teachers I knew had poorly maintained pianos and one player told me she didn't care if it was in tune or not--just so the keys played. Another bragged on not having her piano tuned since she had bought it--about 35 years ago. When I mentioned to one that her piano--a Steinway--needed tuning and some work, she said it was just fine for her.

I think that the instrument should be regulated at regular intervals to keep it in shape and hammers and felts replaced when worn. To develop the technical precision I believe a well functioning instrument is almost necessary. I have mine tuned at least three times a year and sometimes four. I have had hammers replaced and the keys re-bushed and the action regulated.

They seem to be a joy to play when in good shape and frustrating when not in shape. However, for those for whom tuning is unnecessary and regulation to be ignored, I can't see how the music created can be as satisfying as when those things are in proper order.

M
M
Originally Posted by Varcon
Interestingly--to me--a couple of teachers I knew had poorly maintained pianos and one player told me she didn't care if it was in tune or not--just so the keys played. Another bragged on not having her piano tuned since she had bought it--about 35 years ago. When I mentioned to one that her piano--a Steinway--needed tuning and some work, she said it was just fine for her.

I think that the instrument should be regulated at regular intervals to keep it in shape and hammers and felts replaced when worn. To develop the technical precision I believe a well functioning instrument is almost necessary. I have mine tuned at least three times a year and sometimes four. I have had hammers replaced and the keys re-bushed and the action regulated.

They seem to be a joy to play when in good shape and frustrating when not in shape. However, for those for whom tuning is unnecessary and regulation to be ignored, I can't see how the music created can be as satisfying as when those things are in proper order.

I do the same....I have both my pianos tuned 3-4 times per year, and when the Yamaha gets too bright (as it tends to do) she fluffs up the hammers a bit. I always attend to issues as soon as I am able to, because it annoys me to hear an out of tune piano or hear a bad note. I feel awful if it distracts the student as well. Perhaps some people don't really listen? confused

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Her piano is Mason Hamlin, but it's usually well out of tune, and not easy to play. I know she has it maintained to the best of her financial ability by the best tech in our town.

The cost of maintaining your teaching piano is part of your business expense as a piano teacher. If you cannot afford the maintenance, then perhaps it's time to raise your fees so that maintenance can be done!

Furthermore, it's really hard to pontificate to your students the importance of maintaining their instrument if you don't maintain your own.

Keystring, could you please tell us what would happen if you went to a violin lesson, and you tried to play on an out of tune violin or your teacher's instrument was out of tune, missing a string, etc.?

Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
F
F
Easier said than done when it comes to raising rates in a rural area. Just for the record, I have my own piano tuned and maintained 3-4 times a year, and yes it bugs me to have lessons on a less worthy piano, but choices for good teachers are limited. I actually drove almost an hour each way to get to my teacher with the old rented Star. She was simply the only real option at that time. And I hope she can one day afford a piano worthy of her!

D
D
perhaps an anonymous note ?? smile

I guess its a lot better to have a great teacher with an awful piano than to have an awful teacher with a great piano...so consider yourself lucky !!

now seriously, If it is such a problem that you can't enjoy the lessons or you feel that its holding you back I would consider saying something to your teacher, its a reasonable concern to share with your teacher.

Dror Perl. Pianist, Composer, Teacher.

http://www.sheerpiano.com/

Sheer Piano: The First Full Color Piano Music Books

C
C
It seems piano teachers often cannot afford a decent instrument. So be it. But I think they have a responsibility to keep it tuned and regulated! It's hard enough to be a student in a lesson and playing under pressure - on an instrument that is simply hard to play. Yes, as pianists we have to get used to all sorts of pianos, but I don't think that excuses an out of tune, difficult to control piano. I went to a lesson with a friend once whose teacher's house was absolutely filthy. Yes yes yes, she was poor and struggling, but couldn't she run a vacuum cleaner once in a while? Maybe pick up some laundry? Her piano was bad too.

Working on:
Chopin: Barcarolle
Schubert: Sonata D959
Rachmaninoff: Daisies
Lutoslawski: Paganini Variations for 2 pianos

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
The more I think about it, the more I want to [Linked Image].

What is it about pianists that we are willing to accept substandard, out of tune, out of regulation instruments? No other musicians would. Why should we? Why do we? What's the matter with us?

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook
The more I think about it, the more I want to [Linked Image].

What is it about pianists that we are willing to accept substandard, out of tune, out of regulation instruments? No other musicians would. Why should we? Why do we? What's the matter with us?
I think one of the main reasons is we don't have to tune our own instrument every day before we can even practice.

(I'm a piano teacher.)
W
W
Originally Posted by burma
Being a professional who teaches at conservatory and also performs, I think she plays on so many pianos...

There you have it. Stop making excuses. If she says it needs to be quieter in the left hand, then it needs to be quieter in the left hand. The only thing at stake when it is more difficult for you to execute it on her piano than on yours is your pride. It is good for your playing to experience different pianos.

In the real world we get all sorts of pianos. You can't carry it with you.

John mentioned raising rates (as he often does). Would you pay more for lessons on a piano that was regulated to your satisfaction?

edit:
My greatest teacher, who was nurturing and motivated by love, taught me on a crappy Samick. His response to my complaint about the action wasn't as sympathetic as this post.

Last edited by wavelength; 11/05/10 01:23 AM.
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wavelength
taught me on a crappy Samick

[Linked Image]

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I think there are some standards that need to be maintained as closely as possible in the instrument for practice and for teaching. Tuned is pretty much a necessity and the ear is being trained to perceive pitch discrimination and quality of tone. While my mother didn't play she had the piano tuned for me on a regular basis and once had the tuner file the hammers/voice/regulate the action on my studio piano. My teacher had the studio pianos tuned and working properly. When preparing for recitals/competitions we sometimes went to her house where she had her grand with an extremely heavy action to realize that not all pianos played the same and to strengthen our equipment or to the college to play on the piano there and adjust to the openness of the auditorium and adjust our playing accordingly.

She arranged for us to have some time on the pianos for the state competition so we would not be playing on a totally strange instrument but would have some acquaintance with what to expect.

That a tuned piano (and that usually depends on someone else--the tuner/tech) properly regulated should be expected at lessons is a given. That some don't maintain that standard simply shows poor musicianship for the most part. Granted that some teachers have financial problems, then, when possible it should be done as circumstances permit. So many people don't realize what is needed to maintain a piano in good condition.

i would not blame anything on her piano and i think it may be innappropriate as a beginner to suggest that your playing was bad because of the action.

(i would really get a kick out of that if someone said that too me).

M's are pretty good pianos, even when they are old and worn. I think most good teachers would worry more about how the student could improve. I play on all sorts of pianos and they are all different. With practice you learn to adjust.

I think most teachers can envision the 'good' in a student's playing, and overlook nonperfection.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The school I attended for a while in Chicago kept track of practising by having the student go by each hour and sign up for a practice room. It would not be the same one each hour but a different one even if the same one was requested. So, with the differences in instruments the student adapted to the various qualities as he practised. Playing on a lot of different instruments is good, especially if performing for various things where the instrument might be an unknown. However, I would disagree with Apple on overlooking nonperfection!. I would overlook it if the instrument caused it but not if it is something that can be controlled by the student.

I think the teacher has the responsibility to maintain high standards so the student excells rather than settling for mediocre playing.

I agree with others here - I think you'd probably be a little out of line raising this complaint and you run the risk of putting your teacher on the defensive.

However, with that said... Come ON, teacher! Take care of your piano! Sure, it costs more than maintaining other instruments, but that maintenance is so much more infrequent I think it pretty much evens out. Your uneven action is like the check engine light in your car. When that light comes on, you're at the mechanic the next day, right?

I made this: http://privio.net - Private music studio management made easy.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission