2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (BillS728, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, CharlesXX, bcalvanese, colinvda, Adam Reynolds, cascadia, 6 invisible), 2,122 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
OP Offline
S
Hey guys, first post here. I'm looking to buy a digital piano as I want to learn how to play. I've been doing a lot of reading and searching around for digital pianos and I've found one of these for quite cheap: Technics SX-PR170. I can find very little info about it through google, no user reviews whatsoever.

If anyone knows about this model, what do you think of it? Is it suitable for a complete beginner? My requirements aren't very strict - I would just like 88 keys weighted keys, and I can't imagine I need any other sounds than a "normal" piano sound (please excuse my lack of terminology :p)

Thanks for any help guys

B
B
The technics will be really old by now, if its had lots of playing i wouldnt be suprised if the key contacts have worn down and gets all clacky. But they are super reliable. I had an upper range sx-pr series piano for about 10 years, no complaints, never had a problem, and I thought it was great for the money.

But its old technology compared to todays digitals.

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by bobbo
The technics will be really old by now, if its had lots of playing i wouldnt be suprised if the key contacts have worn down and gets all clacky. But they are super reliable. I had an upper range sx-pr series piano for about 10 years, no complaints, never had a problem, and I thought it was great for the money.

But its old technology compared to todays digitals.

Thanks for the reply.

Any ideas how old that particular model is? From the pictures of the one for sale, it looks immaculate. Can't even find a scratch.

Would you say it's suitable for learning on?

B
B
SX-PR series are from a good 10 or so years ago. Its better than low end portable keyboards. By todays standards it would be in the low end of digital pianos. No graded weight keyboard and the action is quite light. Low 32 polyphony. I quite liked the technics piano sound at the time but its really old technology.

If its cheap as chips compared to low end digitals, and works perfectly, it should be a good buy. I sold mine for £350 and yours should be much cheaper because its a lower end model (worth around £100-£200 max.) Bargain for a learner piano.

Why don't you try it out then compare it to some new ones in the shops?

S
OP Offline
S
Ah I see, thanks for the info.

The piano is on eBay currently and is sitting at £105 right now and ends tomorrow. From your info I probably won't be paying much more than that if I do decide to bid on it.

I suppose I could go and try it. But I think the problem I wouldn't know what I was looking for, and I buying a new one from the shops is out of my price (got about £300 to spend) so I need to be quite specific on what I can buy.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Scottyyy - I'm not sure about that exact model but I have a Technics PX-71 which is probably older. It is the piano I learned on. I still have it (in addition to two other digitals) and it still works like new. I always liked the sound of the piano although the touch is quite light.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150
Piano Vocals of Old Guy Tunes
S
OP Offline
S
Thanks. smile

How light is the touch compared to something like a Privia PX110/PX120? From what I've seen and heard from clips, I really like the Privia's. I would definitely go for one of them if I could find a used one.

Do you think it would be worth waiting for a Privia or going for this Technics if it stays cheap?

V
V
I played a Technics (one with several 3s in its name) a few weeks ago, I preferred it to the Yamaha P120 I played recently.

It seemed to have a meatier sound than either the P120 or my PX330, but that may be just because its a cabinet style with larger speakers.

S
OP Offline
S
Doesn't matter now anyway, I didn't win the auction. I didn't want to spend more than £180 on it and it went for £206.

Oh well, time to find a different one.

B
B
Originally Posted by b528nf7
Scottyyy - I'm not sure about that exact model but I have a Technics PX-71 which is probably older. It is the piano I learned on. I still have it (in addition to two other digitals) and it still works like new. I always liked the sound of the piano although the touch is quite light.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

Yes the technics are amazingly reliable, I can see these things going on for 20 years or more.

S
OP Offline
S
Off topic but not worth making a new thread. Does anyone know what model this is?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Casio-Celvian...377QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I've asked the buyer but he hasn't responded. If anyone knows, is it worth at least £200? That's the reserve on it.

That piano would be perfect since it's in my city. It looks really nice but I have no idea what Celviano's are like.

V
V
Its only got 4 hrs to go.

Looking at the photos - if you look at the stool photo there appears to be a gap between the back panel and the keyboard.
The music stand has some sort of brassette plaque on it.
It seems to have some buttons, but no LCD display.
Based on them I _guess_ its an AP-33 - which I think was discontinued 4 years ago
If it is an AP-33 its manual is here http://support.casio.com/pdf/008/ap_31_01_e.pdf

S
OP Offline
S
Awesome, thanks.

How much are those worth?

I did a search here for AP-33 and it seems like a decent piano from the comments.

Last edited by Scottyyy; 11/09/10 10:30 AM.
The piano I currently play on is a Technics SX-PR500. It may be a bit obsolete because it plays floppy discs, but the sound and other functions are just as comparable to most other digital pianos of today.

However, if you are looking to do MIDI work, the quality is definitely behind a bit. But I hardly mess with that. Still brand new, it was originally priced at about $4,000, I was fortunate enough to only pay a small percentage of that in a very good used condition which only contained the top keyboard part.

But as stated, most models are sold very cheap, but they still serve great quality for any beginner player.

[Linked Image]
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Serena03
The piano I currently play on is a Technics SX-PR500. It may be a bit obsolete because it plays floppy discs, but the sound and other functions are just as comparable to most other digital pianos of today.

However, if you are looking to do MIDI work, the quality is definitely behind a bit. But I hardly mess with that. Still brand new, it was originally priced at about $4,000, I was fortunate enough to only pay a small percentage of that in a very good used condition which only contained the top keyboard part.

But as stated, most models are sold very cheap, but they still serve great quality for any beginner player.

Cool, thanks for the info. Unfortunately I was outbid on the Technics like I mentioned earlier.

I've bought a different piano now though. A Yamaha CLP-810S. I know it's really old, but it was really cheap at £150. :p

At least, I think it's cheap for this old model. I know it's probably better to buy a new digital piano instead of an old one because the technology moves so fast, but I honestly don't mind parting with this Yamaha and potentially losing money if I do decide to upgrade. Which I probably will eventually. I'm a guitar player and I've bought and sold a lot of guitars, losing a bit money on used instruments is not new to me. smile

Anyway, I hope this Yamaha is good. Having only ever played rubbish £10 keyboards with about 15 keys, I'm sure it will be a nice piano for me. For now. It's really close to my house so it's easy to pick up which is another reason I went for it.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission