2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, 13 invisible), 1,860 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1553325 11/07/10 11:45 PM
C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Anybody know when piano makers started to notch the bass bridge so that the bichords are notched at 90-degree angles to the strings?

I did a search for Steinways from 1915 and they are not notched in this way. Also my old trusty 1915 grand is not notched this way. But my newer Baldwin is.

The other thread on the new Mason and Hamlin has a close-up picture of the bass bridge which made me curious.

Has anybody noticed a difference in tone? I suppose there might be, since on the strings are actually of different lengths on the bichords, when it's not notched in a zig-zag fashion.

Semi-pro pianist
Tuesdays 5-8 at Vince's West Sacramento, California
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
In order to have the same length in the strings of an unison, the bridge pins have to be in a line parallel to the capo d'astro/agraphes/pressure bar/V bar, whatever bearing points on the tuning pin side of the string the piano happens to have, and not to be at 90° to the strings.

And in most, if not all, of the pianos I have seen so far this is not done.

I don't know why. At first sight it seems not difficult to do.

C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Gadzar
In order to have the same length in the strings of an unison, the bridge pins have to be in a line parallel to the capo d'astro/agraphes/pressure bar/V bar, whatever bearing points on the tuning pin side of the string the piano happens to have, and not to be at 90° to the strings.

And in most, if not all, of the pianos I have seen so far this is not done.

I don't know why. At first sight it seems not difficult to do.

I agree, and that's part of the reason I'm curious about this. I'm wondering if it's something nobody in the industry really 'noticed' until a certain era.

Both the grands I'm looking at use agraffes, and the termination is at 90 degrees on the tuning pin end.

Semi-pro pianist
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
In that case the strings are the same size.

In other cases, I suppose the difference in length between strings is so small that it makes no difference when tuning the unison.

C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
In that case the strings are the same size.

No, actually they're not, because the bridge is at an angle to the agraffes. It's clear when you look at the bridge that the terminations are not at 90 degrees to the strings.

Semi-pro pianist
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I've always been intrigued also why the strings of a unison are not the same length, if they are meant to be tuned at the same frequence.

Maybe a piano designer like Del Fandrich can enlighten us.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
I think the admonition "Time is money" comes into play here. Many makers do notch. Many don't. Some notch only on larger models or pianos that include tri-chord wound, and then only the bi's and tri's. (Like S&S model "D") I can't recall whether or not S&S notches the bi's on the "B" or not.

All bass bridges are fully notched when they come out of our shop, regardless of any original design with a lack of notches. I prefer matching string lengths and yes, I do believe I can hear the difference, at least on smaller pianos. The partials line up better, though never perfect on any wound unisons.

Dale Fox
Registered Piano Technician
Remanufacturing/Rebuilding
D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
I've always been intrigued also why the strings of a unison are not the same length, if they are meant to be tuned at the same frequency.

Maybe a piano designer like Del Fandrich can enlighten us.

No, I can’t. It has always been a puzzle to me why some manufacturers—including some that have been regarded as “high-end”—have not bothered to notch the bass bridges. Seems like something of a no-brainer to me. Like Dale, any piano coming out of my shop that has received new bridges or bridge caps will be notched so the two strings will be the same length.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Research, Design & Manufacturing Consultant
ddfandrich@gmail.com
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I have pictures of Steinway #1199, Currently at the Smithsonian in DC, personal photo's from Steinway #1226 and Steinway # 1548, all straight strung and with notched bichord sections. I also have personal images of Bluthner #678, also straight strung and with notched bichord sections.

The idea has been around a long time.

Motive for the decisions to do or not to? I would really enjoy a conversation with Theodore and Henry Steinway as to their motive on a great many things.

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
Mark Twain

E. J. Buck & Sons
Lowell MA 01852
978 458 8688
www.ejbuckpiano.com
http://www.facebook.com/EJBuckPerformances
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Of course, having the strings be the same length depends on the orientation of the agraffes as well as the shape of the bridge. You can argue about the striking points being the same, but that depends on the orientation of the hammer.

Semipro Tech
C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Larry Buck
I have pictures of Steinway #1199, Currently at the Smithsonian in DC, personal photo's from Steinway #1226 and Steinway # 1548, all straight strung and with notched bichord sections. I also have personal images of Bluthner #678, also straight strung and with notched bichord sections.

That is interesting, but I would think it especially interesting to see when notching on bass bridges on overstrung pianos began (or if it was there from the beginning). Somehow I imagine it's more natural on a straight strung piano to just keep notching all the way down in the same manner as the treble. Just because it's all one bridge and so there's obvious place to stop (maybe the beginning of the wrapped strings, on second thought . . .).

Last edited by charleslang; 11/08/10 04:05 PM.

Semi-pro pianist
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I have photo's of early overstrung pianos with notching in the bichords.

It is unlikely the decision to notch or not is in any way related to straight vs overstrung.

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
Mark Twain

E. J. Buck & Sons
Lowell MA 01852
978 458 8688
www.ejbuckpiano.com
http://www.facebook.com/EJBuckPerformances
D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by BDB
Of course, having the strings be the same length depends on the orientation of the agraffes as well as the shape of the bridge. You can argue about the striking points being the same, but that depends on the orientation of the hammer.

That is why I said, "so the two strings will be the same length.”

The very slight difference in hammer strike point will be inaudible.

ddf.

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Research, Design & Manufacturing Consultant
ddfandrich@gmail.com
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon
B
BDB Offline
B
My point was that as long as the line through the center line of the strings forms the same angle with the bridge pins as it does with the agraffe, the lengths of the strings will be the same. Whether the bridge is notched or not, whether that angle is 90° or not, makes no difference, although there may be physical limitations.

Semipro Tech

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,259
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission