2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,245 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Congrats Rimmer - I shall look forward to reading your review!

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
R
R
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Congrats Rimmer - I shall look forward to reading your review!

Cheers,
James
x

Thx James. Hopefully it'll be as I'm expecting. Been a confusing road getting to the point of making my decision. It was partly based on company discount from a shop the studio uses. I was hoping they did Kawai as the MP10 was becoming very attractive. Sadly not.. Everyone has been very helpful here. It's one of the best Internet music forums I've joined. Well done to everyone for that!!!

T
tinybox Offline OP
OP Offline
T
After going through a lot of audio clips from the HP307 and CA93 I came to a very annoying conclusion. I think I like the tonal character of the Kawai better because it's more held back and clinical. But at the same time it sounds a bit dead, especially in the decay. The Roland has much more life and the decay is brilliant but the tonal character seems a bit over the top, like it's trying to sound too cool smile

But in the end I thought "just make a decision, damnit!" and decided to stay with the Roland order. FP-7F arriving in end of November if I'm not changing my mind again :-P I'm going to try to stay away from all audio demos and just try it out myself.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I've had good luck with Roland gear, tinybox. I'm sure you'll enjoy it; they do a good job. This time I went with Kawai, and that has also meant happiness.

These buying decisions are certainly nerve-wracking.

Clef

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
tinybox, you're right, at some point a decision has to be taken! I'm sure once you have the Roland at home you will have enough time to play it and then also get used to the sound, and you will be very happy! There will be no buyers regret! So now that you've made a decision don't look back, you should look forward for your new baby to arrive soon!! Good luck!

<~ don't test forever - play and enjoy! ~>
J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Tinybox said: "After going through a lot of audio clips from the HP307 and CA93 I came to a very annoying conclusion. I think I like the tonal character of the Kawai better because it's more held back and clinical. But at the same time it sounds a bit dead, especially in the decay. The Roland has much more life and the decay is brilliant but the tonal character seems a bit over the top, like it's trying to sound too cool "

That nails it exactly for me, well said ! I agree with every word - indeed the Kawai is a nice classical rounded sound, but too clean and 'short' to be really natural. And the Roland is too much 'Super' in the Super Natural, which makes it dynamic, but also a bit too processed and over the top.

So either way: neither is perfect, which is exactly what makes the purchase decision so damn difficult. You don't know what you would prefer - over a longer period of time - . You might find out that you can live with the bit static , but classical sound of the Kawai, or you might find out that SN would have fit you better despite the 'over-saturated' sound.You simply don't know , cause you can't try them out both for a long period of time. I , for one, really don't know if I will become more annoyed by the 'obvious sampled' sound of the Kawai, or the 'obvious processed' sound of the Roland after a while. Tough choice...

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Now, in that case where I could not decide between the sounds I would consider a software sound as a possible alternative.

So the action and the pedals and the sound system would decide.
And of course the cost.

Also so far I know, the CA93 cannot been disassembled. This might also be a factor.

1929 Galaxy Blüthner Baby Grand
acer aspire m3300 AMD Phenom II X6

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
As someone who prefers acoustic pianos, the processed sound of Rolands has always worn on me quickly. The sounds seem very unnatural. When I had the G8 with ARX2, I found the EPs to be quite sterile sounding. To each their own, but I'm not overly impressed with any DP out there, so for occasional practice I'd rather go with an action I like and a sound that doesn't grate on me.

Originally Posted by JFP
I , for one, really don't know if I will become more annoyed by the 'obvious sampled' sound of the Kawai, or the 'obvious processed' sound of the Roland after a while. Tough choice...

Last edited by Hideki Matsui; 11/15/10 05:35 PM.

Shigeru Kawai SK5
Vintage Vibe 64
Roland LX-15e
Roland Jupiter 80
T
tinybox Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Ok, I'm laughing at myself now... but I think I have changed my mind and will go with the MP10 smile Here's my reasons:

- Price -
I just saw that Thomann.de will sell the MP10 for 2100 Euros (I thought it would cost more), being just slightly above the FP-7F + stand, with the Roland 3-pedal they are probably almost the same price. Stand and 2-pedal are included with the Kawai if I understand things correctly.

- AP Sound -
It's really an even fight in this.

- Action -
MP10 wins for me if it's the same as CA93, which it is smile

- Extra features (outside my main priorities AP and action) -
The FP-7F's extra features are pointless for me, even the speaker since it's going to suck (compared to a good sound system).

The MP10's extra features is REAL wave recording to USB stick, which FP7F seem to miss. Also some better EP's that might be more worth it than a very limited looper and harmony effects in the FP7F.

--

Online Content
tinybox, the MP10 is listed at 1999 Euros for me, although that's probably because I am entering the site through the UK flag.

Originally Posted by tinybox
Stand and 2-pedal are included with the Kawai if I understand things correctly.

The 2-pedal unit is included, however a stand is not.

Cheers,
James
x

T
tinybox Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Hi James,

Whops, I read that wrong. It's a heavy duty rack mounted ON-TOP. Ok, never mind that ;-)

How would you suggest I protect the MP10 from two crazy kids running around bumping into things? Does Kawai have a stand made to survive gigs in drunk-crowded pubs?

Online Content
tinybox,

I'm afraid Kawai does not manufacture keyboard stands.

I believe there are a handful of separate threads here that discuss sturdy keyboard stands, so I recommend having a scan through other user's suggestions.

I use a nice solid stand at home (I forget the name, but it's from a German manufacturer) with legs that fold in on itself. I much prefer this to any X-stands that I've used, which in my experience tend to be a little wobbly, cramp your leg-room, and hamper access to pedals.

Cheers,
James
x

EDIT: Ah, found it - this is the stand I have at home.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by tinybox
Does Kawai have a stand made to survive gigs in drunk-crowded pubs?

Four empty beer boxes should do it ... grin

SCNR

1929 Galaxy Blüthner Baby Grand
acer aspire m3300 AMD Phenom II X6

S
S
Quik Lok WS-550

I use it with an MP8 - bombproof!

J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Perhaps K&M 18810 , or K&M 18810 set (with additional arms for second keyboard) ?

T
tinybox Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thanks for the suggestions.

The Quick Lok WS-550 looks interesting but I cannot find anywhere to order it (I'm in Sweden).

The K&M 18810 looks good but it holds 30kg less than 18953.

The K&M 18953 seems to be the sanest choice right now.

EDIT: Found the answer to a question I had so I removed it smile

Last edited by tinybox; 11/19/10 05:34 PM.
K
K

R
R
Originally Posted by kohonen

Great!!

At least it's not in German this time.

Er, Oh...... whistle

J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Around 2:00 in Grand Piano; second high lead note ; ziffy noise is back ! I listened to the H1080 version on YouTube. Don't know now if it's the internet compression again, or that there is really something going on when notes are hit very hard (this second note I mean is played way to loud by the demonstrator, but clearly demonstrates the ziff-noise attack problem). I didn't notice any problem on the recently uploaded WAV demo's by Kawai, so I still hope it's not in the MP, but a compression flaw of online formats. Or in the MP10 recording to USB , if that is what they used for this demo. That is also a possibility !

FP7F / MP10/ FP7F /MP10...can't decided and these internet demo's don't help a thing...still no FP7F in the shop (or MP10 for that matter ;-(

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by kohonen

It sounds ok. The decay seemed really artificial, much more than the SN stuff I'm used to playing and hearing. It is however, a fantastic looking instrument. I love that nice touch with the Kawai name placed in the same place as on real grand pianos. BTW, what's with the weight??? Why is it 70lbs!?

Studiologic Numa X Piano GT with Native Instruments Noire
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission